PDA

View Full Version : Would you Trade Tim for Lebron Straight up?

shyne
04-22-2005, 11:48 PM
After this season was over and we won another Championship.

Dre_7
04-22-2005, 11:52 PM
NO!
Heys gonna be a free agent. I wouldnt take that chance.

shyne
04-22-2005, 11:53 PM
Do you think Tony, Manu, and Lebron could win a Title?

TDfan2007
04-22-2005, 11:55 PM
Do you think Tony, Manu, and Lebron could win a Title?

...no

shyne
04-22-2005, 11:57 PM
Tony, Manu, Lebron, maybe not right away but i would say for sure in another year or so

kskonn
04-22-2005, 11:58 PM
Dominant Big men are to rare. They are the only guys that can really carry a team during a offensive lull, you never know when a jumpshot might stop falling. Even Jordan had a big man who would often get some easy baskets to get the team going.

shyne
04-22-2005, 11:59 PM
what big man was that?

shyne
04-23-2005, 12:01 AM
plus Tim is reaching his thirty's and becoming injury prone i would have to pull that trigger, and i love Tim to death but our future would be set till my kids were grown and i dont even have any yet

exstatic
04-23-2005, 12:24 AM
Even Jordan had a big man who would often get some easy baskets to get the team going.

what big man was that?

Ho Grant was a quality big man of AS calibur on those first three championship teams.

Tim is like 28, and big men tend to play longer than guards, anyway. Kobe pretty much exploded the myth that a wonder guard can win without a big man. Trading Tim would be beyond stupid.

CHAMPS AGAIN
04-23-2005, 12:25 AM
dumb thread

PM5K
04-23-2005, 12:26 AM
LMFAO...

The Bulls never really had a big man, the best they ever had was Luc Longley who at his best averaged eleven points, six boards, and less than a block per game.

Mike, Scottie, and Toni actually all had higher field goal percentages so they didn't need to go to him for sure points...

You always build a team around a center when you can....

PM5K
04-23-2005, 12:28 AM
Ho Grant was a quality big man of AS calibur on those first three championship teams.

Tim is like 28, and big men tend to play longer than guards, anyway. Kobe pretty much exploded the myth that a wonder guard can win without a big man. Trading Tim would be beyond stupid.

Horace Grant isn't a center, and I think that's what we are talking about, centers like Tim Duncan, the Bulls never really had much at the center position, decent but nothing in the realm of Tim Duncan.....

shyne
04-23-2005, 12:29 AM
First of all Lebron aint Kobe, He's seems really down to earth and humble. He seems like he would be a prefect spur. All i'm saying is Tim is starting fixin to hit 30 and becoming injury prone, Lebron is 20 is makes others better. It would be a tough descion but i think if i was GM i would do it. Tony, Manu, Lebron, Scola, Rasho. Good role players on the bench would be a fun team to watch.

dcole50
04-23-2005, 12:29 AM
hell no.

kskonn
04-23-2005, 12:36 AM
yea it would be a fun team to watch and an incredibly tough decision. I just think tim has some championships left under his belt. I think you ride that out till it is gone, The spurs have waited a long time to have this kind of corp team assembled and in place for years to come. That is how you win championships. The hardest thing for me and I would imagine other fans is imagining the spurs only winning 30-40 games and not being an elite team. Eventually we are going to have to rebuild, unless we get another lottery pick miracle. Until then I will take a few more rings over Lebron. But it would stlill be a tough decision.

and yes I was going to games at the hemishpere when we were not very good, but that really seems like a long long time ago. it was not to bad though, I was young and was just excited to see basketball live. the Brick, cadillac anderson. 00 man long time ago.

shyne
04-23-2005, 12:38 AM
ya my dad took me to hemiphere when i was a kid, i remember i was scared of Dwayne Schinties or whatever his name is

TheWriter
04-23-2005, 12:38 AM
Michael and the Bulls were the exception, not the rule.

The rule is, a dominat big will win you titles not a scoring 2.

shyne
04-23-2005, 12:40 AM
I know your right, but there something truly special about that kid I watched alot of Cavs games cause i had league pass and he plays like hes been in the league for 10 yrs already, it amazes me he cant even drink yet

juncan
04-23-2005, 12:42 AM
Never.

kskonn
04-23-2005, 12:45 AM
I know your right, but there something truly special about that kid I watched alot of Cavs games cause i had league pass and he plays like hes been in the league for 10 yrs already, it amazes me he cant even drink yet

I would like to see how he plays with another all star next to him. a pippen like player. I just hope I don't get to see it for another few years, could be scary.

I think he is leaving cleveland after next year anyways. find him self a solid big with a good supporting cast and look out.

How about this scenario. Minny cleans house and brings in Lebron to play with garnett? probably the tpups dream.

Schintuz reminded me of an adams family character.

TDfan2007
04-23-2005, 12:48 AM
not in a million years. Tim would have easily taken the Cavs to the playoffs this year, nuff said.

kskonn
04-23-2005, 12:49 AM
Also earlier in the thread someone said that Bigs play longer than point guards, It always seemed the other way around. Guards don't take a daily beating like bigs, guards stick around and are effective for a long time. stockton, payton, hornacek, van exel, kidd, I am sure I am missing a few. Very few Bigs play 15 years and are still an impact player. It does happen but only for the special ones. Look what happend to hakeem and ewing.

TheWriter
04-23-2005, 12:52 AM
Hakeem was like David in terms of his athletic ability. They always used that with their feed and etc. Tim is more foundamental and doesn't need huge amounts of athletic ability to play the way he does.

kskonn
04-23-2005, 01:01 AM
Hakeem was like David in terms of his athletic ability. They always used that with their feed and etc. Tim is more foundamental and doesn't need huge amounts of athletic ability to play the way he does.

Yea I totally agree, but in general Bigs do not last as long as PG's. I am just basing this off of my own perception over the years, I am open for any suggestions to disprove my theory.

Obstructed_View
04-23-2005, 01:12 AM
ya my dad took me to hemiphere when i was a kid, i remember i was scared of Dwayne Schinties or whatever his name is
Were you sitting near the end of the bench? I don't remember ever seeing Schintzius play the year he was here. :lol

FEAR THE MULLET!

exstatic
04-23-2005, 01:26 AM
Nick Van Exel is 33 and done. Hornacek played 13 seasons, probably putting him at 35 upon his retirement. Payton is 36 and probably done. Kidd just turned 32 and has yet to truly recover from his microfracture surgery.

Kareem played until he was 42. Robert Parrish played into his 40s as has current Hawk Kevin Willis. David played until he was 37 on a disabled spine. Tony Massenburg brings the wood every night at 37.

Big men can play longer because the first thing to go is the legs, degrading your quickness and jump shot, staples of guard play. A big body can bump and grind in the paint for a lot longer. It's not uncommon to see late 30s to 40-something big men, but effective guard play rarely lasts past 34-35.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
04-23-2005, 01:36 AM
I'm curious to read what ducks is going to say about this thread... :lol

IcemanCometh
04-23-2005, 01:44 AM
i'd trade tim for a young jordan bird or magic

pjjrfan
04-23-2005, 01:49 AM
No way, no how, mmm, mmm. Only Shag and TD can dominate the paint and demand double or triple team, and withstand the abuse that comes with that ability, and still deliver. This is a game that has kept KG from being dominant in the playoffs and the Wolves from ever going far, it is a prescense that made Kobe just another high scorer, and what James Cavs lack.

Kori Ellis
04-23-2005, 01:56 AM
Yes.

shyne
04-23-2005, 01:56 AM
Do any of yall think he could be the best player of all time, if he gets a team thats worth a shit?

TDMVPDPOY
04-23-2005, 02:08 AM
bron wishes he has a team like td, no way i would trade td for sum statpadder, td gave up money just to stay in san antonio

baseline bum
04-23-2005, 04:22 AM
No fucking way. How are you going to break up a championship contender one year removed from a title that is the favorite to take it all this year?

You guys know Shaq hit his prime about 28-29, Olajuwon hit it at about 30.... Kareem won finals MVP at 38.

spurs_naby20
04-23-2005, 05:34 AM
of course not

tony, tim,manu,bruce, etc....

make the best team

whottt
04-23-2005, 05:54 AM
Horace Grant isn't a center, and I think that's what we are talking about, centers like Tim Duncan, the Bulls never really had much at the center position, decent but nothing in the realm of Tim Duncan.....

Ho Grant was one of the main defenders on Duncan in one of his worst post season performances ever...so was Horry. Both of those guys are PF's....and Duncan was anything but dominant that series...

Jordan always had a great rebounding defending bigman...like All NBA Caliber Defense...and he always had an enforcer type C...when he had guys like Pippen, and supporting shooters like Kerr and Hodges etc...he'd didn't need a big scorer at that position.

But he had a quality big, capable of defending just about any C in the NBA, on every title he won.

whottt
04-23-2005, 05:55 AM
This team isn't built to win a title around LeBron James....and might never be able to get the pieces to do so.

The title time is here and now with Tim Duncan...LeBron's time hasn't come yet...and who knows...it might never come.

What if he's Chris Webber?

Nikos
04-23-2005, 08:48 AM
No. I wouldn't.

ducks
04-23-2005, 08:49 AM
this is the stupidest thread of all time

ducks
04-23-2005, 08:50 AM
I'm curious to read what ducks is going to say about this thread... :lol

ducks is lucky he was not swallowing his coffee when opening this forum up because he would have peaked it up

Brodels
04-23-2005, 08:50 AM
Yes.

So you would break up a championship team with a leader in his prime, take a chance that Lebron might not want to stay in San Antonio when his rookie deal is up, and take a chance on a player who hasn't won anything instead of keeping arguably the best player in the game?

That's just insane.

I thought you were about winning. Now it looks like you're about flash...I mean, you would be giving up leader with three championships. And he would still be in his 20s.

I'm glad you're not Pop.

Nikos
04-23-2005, 08:52 AM
So you would break up a championship team with a leader in his prime, take a chance that Lebron might not want to stay in San Antonio when his rookie deal is up, and take a chance on a player who hasn't won anything instead of keeping arguably the best player in the game?

That's just insane.

I thought you were about winning. Now it looks like you're about flash...I mean, you would be giving up leader with three championships. And he would still be in his 20s.

I'm glad you're not Pop.

Nice
:smokin

ducks
04-23-2005, 08:52 AM
sorry james has let his team fold the second straight year after the allstar break
you trade those two and no way to the cavs not make the playoffs in the weak east
rember the cavs were in 4 place at one time in the east in the playoff race

james does not trust his teamates do you think he would trust barry,manu, big dog?

ducks
04-23-2005, 08:54 AM
I am sorry big men win championships
most champion teams except for the bulls had an above average big men
and if you have james you have no big men. money would be up. and a team would be foolish to trade spurs a big man

ducks
04-23-2005, 08:55 AM
I would say I would trade manu, barry straight up for james!

Brodels
04-23-2005, 09:05 AM
I say a Tim Duncan-led team would lead the Cavs to the playoffs in the east for the next six years, even if their talent level didn't improve at all.

I certainly can't say the same for James.

angel_luv
04-23-2005, 09:16 AM
Never in a million years or even for that much money.

Manu20
04-23-2005, 10:11 AM
NO!!!!!!

waly.mg
04-23-2005, 11:43 AM
This Championīs Team born and must die with TD
We arenīt the Lakers, who trade Shaq

If a man takes you to the victory you must go to the tomb with him

SA Never can trade Tim Duncan

TO TRADE TIM IS LIKE TRADE YOUR MAMA

HB22inSA
04-23-2005, 12:03 PM
If Pop could make him a premier defender, I'd make that trade in a heartbeat.

baseline bum
04-23-2005, 12:19 PM
I have no doubt that Bron is going to be every bit as good as Duncan once their careers are finished, but no way you break up a title favorite for a shot at the future. Duncan is in his prime right now. Manu is at the top of his game. Tony is just entering his prime. Brent Barry is at the end of his. This team is built to win now and you never trade that for the uncertainty of the future.

TwoHandJam
04-23-2005, 12:37 PM
No. Duncan is just entering his prime now. I understand your worry about Tim seemingly becoming more injury prone but if you look at his career stats, you'll notice he's missed the most games due to injury after participating in summer events. If he rests during summers instead, he'll be just fine.

Brodels
04-23-2005, 12:41 PM
I have no doubt that Bron is going to be every bit as good as Duncan once their careers are finished, but no way you break up a title favorite for a shot at the future. Duncan is in his prime right now. Manu is at the top of his game. Tony is just entering his prime. Brent Barry is at the end of his. This team is built to win now and you never trade that for the uncertainty of the future.

Perfect response.

Spurminator
04-23-2005, 02:08 PM
I would only trade him for Ditka.

TNT21
04-23-2005, 02:15 PM
Tim Duncan will be a Spur the rest of his life, just like DROB. I'd rather keep an old Tim than turn my back on him, plus with that bank shot old boy's gonna be playing till he's 50!

fred45
04-23-2005, 02:24 PM
no no

Obstructed_View
04-23-2005, 04:45 PM
Yeah, if you think about where Kobe and Garnett were at 20 LeBron's upside is huge. You'd have to at least consider it.

Duncan21
04-23-2005, 05:13 PM
Tim is way to important to trade

Brodels
04-23-2005, 05:25 PM
i would...u would be crazy not to...especially after another championship....and lebron is gonna get better and play 15 more years compared to 5 or so good years left for TD

With TD, you are almost guaranteed five more years of championship contention. With Lebron, you don't know what you're going to get. He'll be great, but can he single-handedly make his team a contender? Maybe someday, but he can't do it right now. He's never even been to the playoffs, so we can't possibly know that he'll be able to play at a championship level.

TD is a sure thing. If you have a player of Duncan's caliber and he's in his twenties and he's won you three titles, there is absolutely no way you trade him. What would be the advantage? The only thing I can think of is increased ticket sales and merchandise revenue. That's it. Anything else is just speculation.

Drachen
04-23-2005, 05:31 PM
That is a big old YES, abso-freakin-loutly!!!
Shoot anyone would be crazy to not take that trade! Sheesh!

Edit: Oh I thought we were assuming that Tim had suffered a career-ending injury!

in that case: LMAO

Drachen
04-23-2005, 05:33 PM
yea it would be a fun team to watch and an incredibly tough decision. I just think tim has some championships left under his belt. I think you ride that out till it is gone, The spurs have waited a long time to have this kind of corp team assembled and in place for years to come. That is how you win championships. The hardest thing for me and I would imagine other fans is imagining the spurs only winning 30-40 games and not being an elite team. Eventually we are going to have to rebuild, unless we get another lottery pick miracle. Until then I will take a few more rings over Lebron. But it would stlill be a tough decision.

and yes I was going to games at the hemishpere when we were not very good, but that really seems like a long long time ago. it was not to bad though, I was young and was just excited to see basketball live. the Brick, cadillac anderson. 00 man long time ago.

Well if we have another rebuilding year like 2003 then I will be ok with that.

ducks
04-23-2005, 10:09 PM
you can trade duncan for lebron in 5 years not now if lebron gets better

E20
04-23-2005, 10:19 PM
Ducks on your quote from Nowitizki, did he really say '(JAMES)'?

ducks
04-23-2005, 10:22 PM
no I added that :angel

E20
04-23-2005, 10:23 PM
Well that was stupid for asking.

Guru of Nothing
04-23-2005, 10:42 PM
I would only trade him for Ditka.

Yeah .... but not the tiny Ditkas.

rascal
04-23-2005, 10:56 PM
NO!
Heys gonna be a free agent. I wouldnt take that chance.
Good post.

Duncan has decided to stay with the spurs and I don't see him leaving since he has been here so long now and has had a good history established in SA while James may not want to stay in SA and end up in LA.

IceColdBrewski
04-23-2005, 11:25 PM
plus Tim is reaching his thirty's and becoming injury prone i would have to pull that trigger, and i love Tim to death but.....

You certainly bring up an interesting point. You have to consider age a factor.

baseline bum
04-24-2005, 12:44 AM
Man, y'all are always too concerned with the future when the Spurs are the team to beat right fucking now. Without Tim and with LeBron we're the freaking Lakers. Who gives a shit about 15 years from now when the Spurs can be top-flight contenders for the next 5? There's nothing I would do to break up this core unless there was an absolute no-brainer of a trade offered. Duncan's fucking 28 and y'all act like he's 34 or something.

Mark in Austin
04-24-2005, 10:28 AM
No. But I would think long and hard about trading Manu and Parker for James.

Obstructed_View
04-24-2005, 10:40 AM
Cleveland probably wouldn't trade for Duncan unless Manu or Parker were thrown in. James could be a superstar for 15 years. The Spurs organization has proven it is more than capable of surrounding a superstar with talent. As an emotional decision I'd never do it, but as a discussion it's interesting to kick around.

Brodels
04-24-2005, 12:11 PM
Cleveland might surprise you. The talk has already begun about Lebron leaving when his contract is up. And while we really don't know what's going to happen with that, it certainly might be a good possibility. Lebron may of may not give them a chance to win a title for the next couple of years. Duncan would automatically make them a contender for the next five.

With Lebron's future uncertain, they could possibly pull the trigger on that trade if they really felt that Lebron was going to bolt.

rwb
04-24-2005, 07:07 PM
I want to see Lebron and Tim playing on the same team. I agree with Shyne...make Lebron a Spur while he still has the right attitude to fit in. When he first came to the NBA I was ready to be unimpressed, but if you watch the kid he still has some humility and good sportsmanship. It's a shame he has to carry his entire team...I'd like to see him with a team that has individual players who work together like the Spurs.

GrandeDavid
04-24-2005, 07:14 PM
Fvck no.