PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone here a coach?

VivaPopovich
12-09-2009, 08:42 PM
I am going to signup to coach a 10-11 yr old basketball league and am super-excited

I get frustrated watching the spurs and have been super-critical of Pop lately so I figure.. why not do something about it and coach my own team? I am so excited.

Is anyone else here a coach? Any advice?

JoeChalupa
12-09-2009, 08:50 PM
B2b?

Blue Jew
12-09-2009, 08:51 PM
B2b?

Ask phyzik the club moderator!

CharlieMac
12-09-2009, 08:54 PM
Never establish any type of friendship with those kids.

Having them run a simple half court offense like maybe a wing-swing or a simple two-three defense is gonna be a chore. But stick to it and repeat the hell out of those things. Even after you get blown out.

I remember my team getting destroyed by East Central 2 years ago. Some days are gonna suck.

Twisted_Dawg
12-09-2009, 09:44 PM
Make sure you have a good whistle and a grease board to diagram plays. Work on two different inbounds pass plays. Work on an easy zone defense. The rules might say you cannot run a zone, but run it anyway, the refs won't know the difference. Work on bank shots and using the glass. Discourage the 15 foot baseline jumper as few will fall.
And if Johnny has a good looking single mother, give him plenty of play time and private lessons.

samikeyp
12-09-2009, 11:00 PM
They're 10 and 11 year olds? Teach them the game and make sure they have fun.

I. Hustle
12-09-2009, 11:27 PM
I say just teach them the basics. Make sure they pass the ball and maybe run a couple of easy plays but just let them have fun. I ran a 10-11 yr old group once and we were fairly successful.

AussieFanKurt
12-09-2009, 11:29 PM
My name is Gregg Popovich.
I don't know how to put this but I'm kind of a big deal.
People know me

jacobdrj
12-09-2009, 11:33 PM
I would be too afraid of liability. I would much rather be an assistant.

Sportcamper
12-10-2009, 12:21 PM
I have coached youth BB…Co ed leagues were my favorite…At 10 years old you will most likely have to teach the very basics…How to catch, dribble, pass off a pivot….Most baskets will be made by PF’s who can keep their hands above their head, rebound & put the ball back up against the board…You would be amazed at how taller children get out rebounded because they hold their hands to their sides…On offense I taught one play…”Screen Roll”…Utah was able to baffle the Lakers for over a decade using Screen roll, pick n roll, pick & pop…By the end of the season some of your kids will really understand how to master this one simple play…

Also try to get the kids in shape gradually, stretch, improve diets…Have a meeting with parents & stress the importance of conditioning to avoid injuries…Many games are won in the last few minutes by a team who is able to light the after burners…

Blake
12-10-2009, 02:23 PM
I am going to signup to coach a 10-11 yr old basketball league and am super-excited

I get frustrated watching the spurs and have been super-critical of Pop lately so I figure.. why not do something about it and coach my own team? I am so excited.

10-11 year old games in my experience are lucky to hit 20 total points.

your biggest challenge will be to teach them to try to dribble without looking at the ball.

I. Hustle
01-12-2010, 10:50 AM
I was going to start a new thread but remembered this one. I am helping coach a 6 & U group. We had our first practice and I was fairly impressed. We have two girls on the team and one already looks like a baller. Team name... the SPURS! Our first game is Saturday after only one practice. It's going to be pretty chaotic and I fully expect it to be full of whiners because it is at 8 in the morn.

How is your experience going so far VP?

monosylab1k
01-12-2010, 12:13 PM
Have marathon practice sessions, make them run suicides till they puke, and have a special closet to lock kids in when they whine.

BacktoBasics
01-12-2010, 12:30 PM
How can I help you.

lebomb
01-12-2010, 12:36 PM

I coached my sons team for 3yrs or so ......... from when he was 9 till 12yrs old. My advise is to not be too hard on the kids..........they are still young and tend to goof around a bit. Basketball should be fun now, its gets way more serious later on. My sons play middle school ball now and they get yelled at a plenty. Make sure they understand the fundamentals of the game, ball handling, the importance of making free throws and playing defense. There is much more to the game than having a sweet cross over dribble. :toast

Sportcamper
01-12-2010, 01:17 PM
Have fun but also keep it real…Don’t be afraid to motivate the children by saying things like...

”If you don't give a better effort I am afraid that someone’s puppy is going to die tonight”…

Dex
01-12-2010, 01:27 PM
I've seen the show "Coach".

Dex
01-12-2010, 01:28 PM
...but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night...

I. Hustle
01-12-2010, 01:33 PM
great advice so far. Keep it coming.

I. Hustle
01-26-2010, 09:15 AM
Eff Reagan. My boy plays in the under 6 group for Stone Oak Sports and those coaches are bullshit. I try to teach my kids to play team ball and the basic fundamentals and their coaches worry too damn much about winning. They have a couple of tall kids that can shoot the ball and the coach pretty much tells the other kids to just give them the ball. All they are doing is hurting those other kids because they aren't learning anything.
Sure right now those kids are the big kids but the others will catch up and they aren't going to know what to do once they play kids their size.
At practice yesterday their kids were just running wild and there was no direction. The coaches focus mainly on the taller kids. They are a bunch of idiots.

mrsmaalox
01-26-2010, 09:31 AM
Eff Reagan. My boy plays in the under 6 group for Stone Oak Sports and those coaches are bullshit. I try to teach my kids to play team ball and the basic fundamentals and their coaches worry too damn much about winning. They have a couple of tall kids that can shoot the ball and the coach pretty much tells the other kids to just give them the ball. All they are doing is hurting those other kids because they aren't learning anything.
Sure right now those kids are the big kids but the others will catch up and they aren't going to know what to do once they play kids their size.
At practice yesterday their kids were just running wild and there was no direction. The coaches focus mainly on the taller kids. They are a bunch of idiots.

Welcome to the cut throat world of kid's sports :toast Those leagues with volunteer/parent coaches are always like that; the coach's kids are the only ones who get coached. You should coach your own team!

And what does Reagan have to do with it? :)

I. Hustle
01-26-2010, 09:53 AM
Welcome to the cut throat world of kid's sports :toast Those leagues with volunteer/parent coaches are always like that; the coach's kids are the only ones who get coached. You should coach your own team!

And what does Reagan have to do with it? :)

I do coach my kids. I have them learning how to pass and play defense. They know where the best spots are to shoot the ball and to pass to the person that is open. The only problem is my kids can't consistently get it all the way to the rim. This is their first year playing for the most part. I lucked out, I have a squad of 7 that all listen and do exactly what I tell them. They get down on themselves when they lose because the other kids say things and the parents don't tell their brats anything. I encourage them and point out the things they did right so they don't get discouraged and quit.

Unfortunately there are only two teams in our group, us and the junior rattlers. So we only play them every week. If I would have known that I would have taken my boy to play somewhere else. We had plenty of teams with the Y. They didn't tell us that though when we signed up. Those coaches yell at their kids and get aggravated when they do stuff that kids do, it's ridiculous.

mrsmaalox
01-26-2010, 09:59 AM
I do coach my kids. I have them learning how to pass and play defense. They know where the best spots are to shoot the ball and to pass to the person that is open. The only problem is my kids can't consistently get it all the way to the rim. This is their first year playing for the most part. I lucked out, I have a squad of 7 that all listen and do exactly what I tell them. They get down on themselves when they lose because the other kids say things and the parents don't tell their brats anything. I encourage them and point out the things they did right so they don't get discouraged and quit.

Unfortunately there are only two teams in our group, us and the junior rattlers. So we only play them every week. If I would have known that I would have taken my boy to play somewhere else. We had plenty of teams with the Y. They didn't tell us that though when we signed up. Those coaches yell at their kids and get aggravated when they do stuff that kids do, it's ridiculous.

Well Stone Oak Sports is a pretty new league, BUT they are all basically the same. If you wanna see some real ugly blood and guts go to the CYO! My kids have played every league around here and it is really hard to be impressed. Just keep what you're doing and don't lose your focus---it's for the kids. :)

Coach Norman Dale
01-26-2010, 10:29 AM
I know you guys can shoot, but there's more to the game than shooting. There's fundamentals and defense

I. Hustle
01-26-2010, 04:09 PM
Does anyone know where to get good deals on kids basketball uniforms or jerseys?

Twisted_Dawg
01-26-2010, 08:39 PM

Then you finally make it to high school sports where average kids of wealthy parents and booster club parents mysteriously get a lot of play time.

Well Stone Oak Sports is a pretty new league, BUT they are all basically the same. If you wanna see some real ugly blood and guts go to the CYO! My kids have played every league around here and it is really hard to be impressed. Just keep what you're doing and don't lose your focus---it's for the kids. :)

Nothing is a cut throat as Pop Warner football at the youth level!

BlackSwordsMan
01-26-2010, 09:35 PM
avoid over paying any 10 year olds with the last name of jefferson

jack sommerset
01-26-2010, 09:37 PM
Give white kids a chance.