PDA

View Full Version : Huh! Nuggets will advance?

milkyway21
04-23-2005, 01:09 AM
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/sports_columnists/article/0,1299,DRMN_83_3719591,00.html

Lincicome: Follow this to letter to learn why Nuggets will advance
April 22, 2005

THE NUGGETS OVER THE SPURS IN SEVEN.

What, you want reasons? I'll give you reasons. I'll give you reasons in alphabetical order.

Ankle. Tim Duncan's. The bad one.

Bench. The Nuggets'. The amusing one. Here comes one-name, one- move Nene. Look out for the miniature terror, Earl Boykins. Hey, by the way, stick figure DerMarr Johnson, how do you hold those socks up, with thumbtacks? The Spurs will be laughing too hard to play. Others have.

Center. As in Pepsi. Maybe it should be called Pepsi Alley. Pepsi Gulch. Something dangerous. Because it will be basketball's version of nails on a blackboard. Amplified. The Nuggets have lost one game under George Karl at the Pepsi Center. That won't happen again.

Defense. And if that's not enough. Dee-fense. Dee-fense.

Elbows. Marcus Camby's. In some places, a permit would be needed to carry them around. And if not his, Francisco Elson's, less-educated, more conscience-free.

First-round draft choices. Add it up. Like golf, low number wins. The Spurs have Duncan at No. 1 overall. But so do the Nuggets in Kenyon Martin. None of the other Spurs starters were drafted in the first 25. All the Nuggets' were in the first 10, Andre Miller the highest at No. 8.

George. That would be George Karl, King George, President George, Sir George, Duke George, Baron George, Pope George, Savior George, there is an exalted rank in there somewhere to signify his elevated status. Any is better than what he used to be, Out-of-Work George.

Horry. Yes, that Horry. Now a Spurs artifact. You can't have an NBA playoffs without Robert Horry, more games, more minutes than any other player in the postseason. Say good night, Robert.

Intelligence. The Nuggets have grown much smarter, with the ball, without the ball, ordering pizza minus the anchovies.

Jump shots. And rebounds. And steals. And breakaways. And screens. And free throws. All that basketball stuff.

K. Pick a K, the Nuggets are overrun with them. K-Mart. Karl, Kroenke. Kiki. BoyKins. BucKner. Karmelo. Sweet Karmelo, for this discussion, anyway.

Luck. Don't need it.

Momentum. The Nuggets have more of it than the Spurs. Sure, Denver lost two of the last three, but the Spurs lost three of the last four. Since the All-Star break, the Spurs are 18-11 and the Nuggets a league- best 25-4. The coincidence of all that big mo coinciding with Big Doug Moe getting a seat on the Nuggets bench is no coincidence.

Nettle and Annoy. Maybe just enough. The suggestion by Karl that the Nuggets can live with losing in the first round but that the Spurs won't be able to is the first move in the coach's mind game. He should know, Denver did it to him when Karl was in Seattle.

Overachievement. It isn't yet for the Nuggets. It already is for the Spurs.

Pick and roll. Or is it pick a roll? If it is, I'll take the brioche, with a little raspberry jam, please.

Quickness. The Nuggets have it. The Spurs recognize it from the back.

Replica jerseys. Go to any sporting goods store. Melo outsells Duncan 5-1.

Shoes. More like 10-1 with the shoes.

Turnaround. None greater, ever, than the Nuggets, from indifferent, unresponsive and bored to confident, bold and daring in about 21/2 months.

Unity. Karl's jacket and pants almost always match.

Visitors bench. Close, very close to some very dodgy Nuggets fans. I'm just saying.

Whoosh, there it goes. Home-court advantage lasts only as long as it can be held. One win and a whole season's advantage vanishes just like that.

X-rays. If you know how to read them, they say Camby's hamstring, Miller's back, Martin's knee and Eduardo Najera's hand will all work when needed.

Youth. Too much of it in blue and gold and not enough in silver and black.

Zone. Time. Not just Mountain Exhaustion Time, but Melo Come of Age Time. And about time. It's been two years.

[email protected]

..:wtf

is this guy for real?

the Spurs proved DEFENSE wins championships. Detroit, too, last year.

is this guy telling us the Spurs play is dumb and playing untelligently at all?

then, the picks? Hey, where's Lebron? where's Kwame in last yr's playoffs? Where's Howard & Okafor this year? Aren't they top picks?

who cares about whose jerseys selling the most?

Karl? :D :D :D = 6th, WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP

And Pepsi center? hey SBC=HOUSE OF HORROR
=just 3 home losses this season.

:idiot :idiot :idiot

Dre_7
04-23-2005, 01:11 AM
Dude, it's Lincicome. Nuff said!

Obstructed_View
04-23-2005, 01:18 AM
The guy is in the Denver area. 55 percent of the fans voting at the Post don't think the nuggets are going to get out of the first round. They need a little support from the home folks. A fun read, and a clever idea, if not entirely accurate.

Solid D
04-23-2005, 01:18 AM
Same guy that wrote the article dissing Manu around the All-Star break, then wrote a semi-retraction, yet weak follow-up article. He's a sports generalist, jack of all but master of none (far from it).

SpursChampsIII
04-23-2005, 01:21 AM
F... all this talk about Denver--they are out in 5 games. Spurs' playoff experience and Denver's lack of playoff experience will come to the surface. Spurs no longer have to give Duncan, Manu, TP, etc., only 32-35 minutes...they are free to play their asses off now...enough rest, it's time to kick ass.

Obstructed_View
04-23-2005, 01:25 AM
I'll shave my head if the Nuggets win more than one game.

milkyway21
04-23-2005, 01:34 AM
i can take the momentum. maybe they might just become the 2ND TEAM TO LAKERS WHO CAN BEAT THE SPURS IN THE PLAYOFFS since 1999, & the fuggets are simply one of the hottest after the All-Star(maybe because they were snubbed and didn't get invites in the all-star game), but intelligence? Dumb game plan? :nope :nope

and who cares about what Pops wear during games? All we care about is the :bling :bling and the trophy.

shyne
04-23-2005, 02:04 AM
Fuck Karl and Fuck the Nuggets, We are about to flip the Fucken Switch on the NBA.

pjjrfan
04-23-2005, 02:07 AM
This is torture, I want them to play now, but the rest will help the Spurs more than the Nuggets, I do worry about the teams health, but I also know that the nuggets will not win a series against a healthy and focused Spurs team.

Mr. Body
04-23-2005, 02:14 AM
^^^
I'm not really sure a Nuggets team could get past an unhealthy Spurs team.

milkyway21
04-23-2005, 02:18 AM
so sad that Anthony's in his 2nd playoff appearance and a a better player/down to earth Lebron isn't :cry.

bring them on!

Tek_XX
04-23-2005, 02:40 AM
Nice homer piece from their end, although weak unpersuasive points. Seriously this guy thinks selling more jerseys makes you better, i can't quite follow the logic.

I'm glad we don't have a columnist like this on the Express news, the kool-aid does not help perception.

PM5K
04-23-2005, 02:46 AM
You know I don't mind that much when it's a local journalist, it's his job to have no other opinion other than that the local team is the best without question and he's shown that opinion in his article.

At first I was looking at the points and picking them apart then they got really stupid, it's not a serious article so take it for what it's worth and with a grain of salt on top of that...

Having said that it's really a kudos to the Spurs and their management to have one of the best records in the league and not have a team comprised of very many high draft picks, for some reason this guy tries to make it seem like it's a bad thing, where you are picked isn't always an indication of your talent.

Manu Ginobili:

Second Round 57 (NBA Champion/All-Star)

Tony Parker

First Round 28 (NBA Champion)

Beno Udrih

First Round 28 (Capable Backup Point Guard Any NBA Team Would Love To Have)

Just a few of the better examples, Nazr was twenty-ninth I believe and lately when given minutes has shown he can be a starting center on almost all teams in the league...

milkyway21
04-23-2005, 03:05 AM
First-round draft choices. Add it up. Like golf, low number wins. The Spurs have Duncan at No. 1 overall. But so do the Nuggets in Kenyon Martin. None of the other Spurs starters were drafted in the first 25. All the Nuggets' were in the first 10, Andre Miller the highest at No. 8.
..no worry! we have TWO(2) 1st picks-overall draft players on the roster-

Tim Duncan-starter
Big Dog-bench

1999 & 2003 - 1st rnd, 1st picks overall
Duncan & David Robinson

2005- 1st rnd, 1st pick overall
Duncan & Glenn Robinson

LakerGod
04-23-2005, 03:49 AM
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/sports_columnists/article/0,1299,DRMN_83_3719591,00.html

Lincicome: Follow this to letter to learn why Nuggets will advance
April 22, 2005

THE NUGGETS OVER THE SPURS IN SEVEN.

What, you want reasons? I'll give you reasons. I'll give you reasons in alphabetical order.

Ankle. Tim Duncan's. The bad one.

Bench. The Nuggets'. The amusing one. Here comes one-name, one- move Nene. Look out for the miniature terror, Earl Boykins. Hey, by the way, stick figure DerMarr Johnson, how do you hold those socks up, with thumbtacks? The Spurs will be laughing too hard to play. Others have.

Center. As in Pepsi. Maybe it should be called Pepsi Alley. Pepsi Gulch. Something dangerous. Because it will be basketball's version of nails on a blackboard. Amplified. The Nuggets have lost one game under George Karl at the Pepsi Center. That won't happen again.

Defense. And if that's not enough. Dee-fense. Dee-fense.

Elbows. Marcus Camby's. In some places, a permit would be needed to carry them around. And if not his, Francisco Elson's, less-educated, more conscience-free.

George. That would be George Karl, King George, President George, Sir George, Duke George, Baron George, Pope George, Savior George, there is an exalted rank in there somewhere to signify his elevated status. Any is better than what he used to be, Out-of-Work George.

Horry. Yes, that Horry. Now a Spurs artifact. You can't have an NBA playoffs without Robert Horry, more games, more minutes than any other player in the postseason. Say good night, Robert.

Intelligence. The Nuggets have grown much smarter, with the ball, without the ball, ordering pizza minus the anchovies.

Jump shots. And rebounds. And steals. And breakaways. And screens. And free throws. All that basketball stuff.

K. Pick a K, the Nuggets are overrun with them. K-Mart. Karl, Kroenke. Kiki. BoyKins. BucKner. Karmelo. Sweet Karmelo, for this discussion, anyway.

Luck. Don't need it.

Momentum. The Nuggets have more of it than the Spurs. Sure, Denver lost two of the last three, but the Spurs lost three of the last four. Since the All-Star break, the Spurs are 18-11 and the Nuggets a league- best 25-4. The coincidence of all that big mo coinciding with Big Doug Moe getting a seat on the Nuggets bench is no coincidence.

Nettle and Annoy. Maybe just enough. The suggestion by Karl that the Nuggets can live with losing in the first round but that the Spurs won't be able to is the first move in the coach's mind game. He should know, Denver did it to him when Karl was in Seattle.

Overachievement. It isn't yet for the Nuggets. It already is for the Spurs.

Pick and roll. Or is it pick a roll? If it is, I'll take the brioche, with a little raspberry jam, please.

Quickness. The Nuggets have it. The Spurs recognize it from the back.

Replica jerseys. Go to any sporting goods store. Melo outsells Duncan 5-1.

Shoes. More like 10-1 with the shoes.

Turnaround. None greater, ever, than the Nuggets, from indifferent, unresponsive and bored to confident, bold and daring in about 21/2 months.

Unity. Karl's jacket and pants almost always match.

Visitors bench. Close, very close to some very dodgy Nuggets fans. I'm just saying.

Whoosh, there it goes. Home-court advantage lasts only as long as it can be held. One win and a whole season's advantage vanishes just like that.

X-rays. If you know how to read them, they say Camby's hamstring, Miller's back, Martin's knee and Eduardo Najera's hand will all work when needed.

Youth. Too much of it in blue and gold and not enough in silver and black.

Zone. Time. Not just Mountain Exhaustion Time, but Melo Come of Age Time. And about time. It's been two years.

[email protected]

..:wtf

is this guy for real?

the Spurs proved DEFENSE wins championships. Detroit, too, last year.

is this guy telling us the Spurs play is dumb and playing untelligently at all?

then, the picks? Hey, where's Lebron? where's Kwame in last yr's playoffs? Where's Howard & Okafor this year? Aren't they top picks?

who cares about whose jerseys selling the most?

Karl? :D :D :D = 6th, WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP

And Pepsi center? hey SBC=HOUSE OF HORROR
=just 3 home losses this season.

:idiot :idiot :idiot
Whats wrong with this article?

Nothing wrong but the truth, get used to the idea!

I'd say Nuggets in 6 not 7

FilSpursFan
04-23-2005, 05:00 AM
Manu Ginobili:

Second Round 57 (NBA Champion/All-Star)

How can you forget... Olympic Champion too!

spurs_naby20
04-23-2005, 05:47 AM
let's just see in the playoffs

i rily hope the spurs win...

Rummpd
04-23-2005, 06:37 AM
Mr Lincicome:

Clever and amusing article on why Nuggets will upset Spurs.

Totally wrong of course.

Facts:

1) Spurs getting healthy even with an 80% Duncan will return to being the same most dominant team in league they were pre All Star break establish near records for point differential. They are 'not over-achievers". They have real MVPs of various leagues, incredible depth and the better system and by the way, now two number one draft choices on roster (Duncan and Robinson).

2) Anthony is probably the softest star to come out in years and will be totally shut down by Bowen and Ginobli (who by the way is a much better all around player than Melo despite those protesting Melo left off the all star team = Manu is clutch and a winner at all levels of basketball.)

3) Camby even without injury is basically the same player as Nazr has been the last 2-3 weeks for Spurs. Over-hyped and has a history of coming up small in playoffs, i.e., finals vs. Spurs.

4) Martin does not show up vs. Duncan period and gets abused.

5) Robinson (among others) have heard enough of Karl's inane comments and enough about Denvers "streak". Think he doesn't want to sink a dagger into Karls heart? Big deal, Denver showed true over-hyped colors last week or so.

6) Denver will get a game possibly two, that is it. By the way the real house of horrors is in San Antonio, check the records.

Regards,

PDR

cherylsteele
04-23-2005, 07:54 AM
Whats wrong with this article?

Nothing wrong but the truth, get used to the idea!

I'd say Nuggets in 6 not 7

For what? To get bounce out of the playoffs?

johnny00
04-23-2005, 08:16 AM
Mr Lincicome:

Clever and amusing article on why Nuggets will upset Spurs.

Totally wrong of course.

Facts:

Doc, I hope you actually did email this. It's too good not to.

Jimcs50
04-23-2005, 08:16 AM
What would we say if Harvey picked against the Spurs?

This is normal.

SPARKY
04-23-2005, 02:04 PM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14138

whottt
04-23-2005, 02:08 PM
Go EAT A DICK Sparky and stop trying to control what the board thinks.

Are you a Spurfan or a media fan?

SPARKY
04-23-2005, 02:09 PM
Shut the fuck up blowhard.

whottt
04-23-2005, 02:10 PM
Why do you care what Spurfans think? Whiney Pussy.

nkdlunch
04-23-2005, 02:18 PM

This guy is fukin pathetic

Obstructed_View
04-23-2005, 02:29 PM
Shut the fuck up blowhard.
You're the one postwhoring.

FromWayDowntown
04-23-2005, 04:00 PM
Some of you are too sensitive to what columnists write. They're paid to write controversially.

I take exception to Lincicome, mostly because he's largely factually-inaccurate, but when push comes to shove, it's his opinion and someone is willing to pay him for writing it -- someone thinks that Lincicome's opinions will sell newspapers.

People in Denver probably aren't very interested in reading all of the reasons their Nuggets aren't likely to win -- Lincicome is playing to his audience.

My advice: Chill. In a few days, this will all resolve itself and Lincicome will either be correct, or he'll again be proven to be the fool that most here think he is.

whottt
04-23-2005, 04:04 PM
I think you guys need to chill and let those that want to rip enemy journalists do so.

Just chill..it's a Spurboard. Let people be Spursfans.

Obstructed_View
04-23-2005, 04:17 PM
I think you guys need to chill and let those that want to rip enemy journalists do so.

Just chill..it's a Spurboard. Let people be Spursfans.

Well put. Some of us are going to freak out, some of us are going to be rational, and the discussion continues. That's the fun of being on the boards.