PDA

View Full Version : Ludden: The emergence of Parker

Kori Ellis
04-23-2005, 01:43 AM
The emergence of Parker: He's young, talented and primed for playoffs
Web Posted: 04/23/2005 12:00 AM CDT

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA042305.1C.BKNspurs.parker.2044493e0.html

He has a new $66 million contract, a relationship with an A-list actress, and he has scored well on the court, too.

His points, assists and rebounds are up; his coach's conniptions fewer and farther between. In less than a month, he'll turn all of 23.

Life is good for Tony Parker. He won't deny that. But he's also not satisfied.

With the playoffs starting Sunday, he's just never felt more ... free.

"In past years, I felt like I had to step up my game and really show I can play at this level," Parker said. "Now I have nothing to prove. I just want to continue to do the same things I've done all season."

Parker has done more of everything this season, averaging a career-best 16.6 points, 6.1 assists and 3.7 rebounds. Among point guards, only Phoenix's Steve Nash and Dallas' Jason Terry have shot better than his 48.2 percent. His defense also is more consistent.

Two weeks ago, Parker helped the Spurs all but clinch the Southwest Division title with 62 points, 21 assists and 99 minutes in back-to-back double-overtime victories against the Los Angeles Clippers and Golden State. He matched Warriors point guard Baron Davis shot for shot, then won the game with a difficult left-handed layup in the closing seconds. His 35 points were a career best.

"Those couple days were unbelievable," said Manu Ginobili, who has teamed with Parker to form the Spurs' highest-scoring backcourt in 15 years. "It's not like it was two games that didn't matter. Dallas was getting closer and we needed those two wins.

"He already knew we really trust him, but that even earned a little more respect from the team."

Parker has had to work to earn that confidence. Until last season, his age sometimes made him unsure of his role on the court and in the locker room.

Coach Gregg Popovich gradually began ceding more control to his point guard last season. A year later, he's calling even fewer plays from the sidelines.

"If it was 70-30 him two years ago," Parker said. "Now it's 70-30 me."

Said Popovich: "This season was a time to let him go and make those decisions on his own and start to feel like he's in charge of what's going on there. He's always worked better that way."

Parker's maturity has extended off the court, as well. Team officials privately had concerns his high-profile relationship with "Desperate Housewives" star Eva Longoria would become a distraction. Parker sensed the tension and told Popovich not to worry.

"People have to understand basketball is the main thing to me," Parker said. "It's No.1. It's what I care the most about. Pop knows that. My teammates know that.

"The way I play every day is the way I'm going to show people that I'm not going to be distracted."

Longoria, Spurs officials said, also has handled the situation "great." After she sat in the stands for Parker's recent performance against the Warriors, some of the Spurs joked they planned to campaign to put her on the team's chartered jet to ensure she attend future games.

Parker insists he's focused for the playoffs, having learned from past mistakes. He also says he has nothing to prove, though his drop-off in production the last two years has raised questions.

After watching the final two games of the 2003 NBA Finals from the bench as Speedy Claxton helped close out the Spurs' second championship, Parker averaged 22.3 points (on 51.5 percent shooting) and 8.0 assists through last season's first six playoff games. The Los Angeles Lakers then slowed him dramatically, running multiple defenders at him and clogging the lane.

The result: In the four consecutive games the Spurs lost, he averaged 12.5 points and 5.3 assists while shooting only 31 percent.

While Parker wasn't alone in his struggles — Hedo Turkoglu, Robert Horry and Bruce Bowen all shot poorly while Tim Duncan also labored at times — team officials did debate his inconsistency last summer when deciding what type of contract extension to offer. Popovich concluded his young point guard was probably just in a rush to do too much.

This season, Popovich has worked with Parker on managing the pace of a game. Should he penetrate, or are the lanes filled? When was the last time Duncan touched the ball? Are there other matchups to be exploited?

"All those things he's starting to calculate," Popovich said. "Before, he was just ablaze with speed."

Parker admits he's not a finished product. His free-throw shooting needs considerable work. He also forced a couple of shots on critical possessions during last week's loss in Utah.

His overall decision-making, however, has steadily improved. During a January victory over the Clippers, he pump-faked a defender out of his way then drove for the winning layup. In previous seasons, he probably would have settled for a 3-pointer.

It was the type of end-of-game situation Parker said he relishes. The pressure only increases Sunday with the talented Denver Nuggets awaiting the Spurs. If Parker gets into the lane one too many times, Kenyon Martin, Nenê or Eduardo Najera probably won't be afraid to club him.

"That's what I play for," Parker said. "I love the challenge."

Injury update: Devin Brown participated in all of Friday's practice, though Popovich didn't want to speculate on when he might be available to play. "He could be ready today or not until the fall," Popovich said. "You just don't know with back injuries."

Rasho Nesterovic also went through most of the workout, but is still having some trouble with his left ankle.

The Spurs will have the 28th pick in the June draft after winning a tie-breaking drawing with Miami on Friday.

mookie2001
04-23-2005, 01:48 AM
after this season parker will be 23 and have ran a team to two championships
thats elite company

The Spurs will have the 28th pick in the June draft after winning a tie-breaking drawing with Miami on Friday.

really? sweet

TMSKILZ
04-23-2005, 02:50 AM
I thought we traded all our draft picks in the 1st Rd in the Nazr/Malik trade with NYK?

PM5K
04-23-2005, 02:51 AM

JUUOT
04-23-2005, 09:05 AM
no we traded one we had this year from phoenix and the 2006 one.
which is not a big problem since it will be the year to bring sanikidze in to benfit from master bowen teaching.
and this year we already have scola and maybee javtokas coming.
the draft should be a SG or a steal at PF like turiaf from gonzaga or a 7-2 center from russia

spurster
04-23-2005, 10:45 AM
Good news on Devin. Not so good for Rasho.

1Parker1
04-23-2005, 10:54 AM
"In past years, I felt like I had to step up my game and really show I can play at this level," Parker said. "Now I have nothing to prove. I just want to continue to do the same things I've done all season."

I don't know I like that quote. Parker has always done better when he thinks that he DOES have something to prove. Case in point, PO's against Jason Kidd, PO's against 4 future HOF's, PO's against Marbury...I hope he realizes that he still has a lot of doubters who DON'T believe he can play at that level consistently. Hopefully this postseason, he shuts them up once and for all :)

ZStomp
04-23-2005, 12:06 PM
Good news on Devin. Not so good for Rasho.

That's ok. :lol

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-23-2005, 12:31 PM
When it comes to the draft the Spurs need to be looking for one thing: a 6'8" or taller SF.

JUUOT
04-23-2005, 01:04 PM
why picking someone 6'8 this year at SF, when you have sanikidze quietly maturing to come next year and LJIII that will be ready for next season.
and who know where glenn will be.
the SG or a promising PF/C makes more sense.

timvp
04-23-2005, 01:07 PM
When it comes to the draft the Spurs need to be looking for one thing: a 6'8" or taller SF.

When you have the 28th pick, you take the player most likely to stick in the league no matter the position.

ChumpDumper
04-23-2005, 01:09 PM
When you have the 28th pick, you take the player most likely to stick in the league no matter the position.Fortunately, there seem to be a few SFs that fit that bill in that range.

They could just as easily trade out though.

T Park
04-23-2005, 01:10 PM
pick someone for Larry Brown, and trade him for Delfino.

Brodels
04-23-2005, 01:13 PM
why picking someone 6'8 this year at SF, when you have sanikidze quietly maturing to come next year and LJIII that will be ready for next season.
and who know where glenn will be.
the SG or a promising PF/C makes more sense.

Because those two players are borderline players and they may never make it the NBA. If someone with exceptional talent for the pick position is left, you pick him evenn if he's that size. But the Spurs have a need at small forward. With Barry under contract for several more years and Brown possibly returning, the Spurs will have three shooting guards under contract for years.

T Park
04-23-2005, 01:15 PM
Sanikidze is not borderline.

The kid is 20, lets give the guy sometime before saying hes borderline.

LJ3 doesnt deserve to be in the league, the guy is terrible.

ChumpDumper
04-23-2005, 01:17 PM
Are you judging LJ3 by his 15 minutes of playing time this season?

T Park
04-23-2005, 01:18 PM
no im judging him by past seasons and rocky mountain review.

A guy that can barely dribble the ball, is not NBA calibar.

Brodels
04-23-2005, 01:20 PM

LJ3 doesnt deserve to be in the league, the guy is terrible.

Well, he wasn't good enough to get any play this season. And nobody is knocking down the doors trying to trade for him. As of right now, he's still borderline.

Give LJ3 a chance too then. He's at least shown that he can defend in the NBA.

T Park
04-23-2005, 01:22 PM
he wasn't good enough to get any play this season

Wich isn't true.

The coach wouldn't play him, coach got fired, then they played Sanikidze, and I think that night he had 20 and 10.

Hes a 6 10 small forward.

Kori Ellis
04-23-2005, 01:27 PM

Just for the record, he just turned 19. He's shown promise but I don't think he's ready to come to the NBA yet.

T Park
04-23-2005, 01:38 PM
sorry kori, i thought he was 19 last year.

But, I think he should come over next year.

This sitting on the bench in europe under those clowns, while he could be learning on the bench over here, ALA Stephen Jackson.

Thats been my opinion since day 1.

Scola this summer, maybe Javtokas.

damn. This will be the traveling united nations.

Im very excited about Scola and Javtokas.

They could replace Horry and Nesterovic easily.

Nesterovic, could be used as trade bait, of course that depends on anyone WANTING him.

Brodels
04-23-2005, 01:42 PM
Im very excited about Scola and Javtokas.

Wait just a minute. You're willing to take two proven NBA players (including a clutch one and a great defender), one of whom is a seven footer, and replace them with two NBA unknowns?

We have no idea what they could do 'easily.' They might be complete busts. They certainly aren't sure things, especially Javtokas. RC has even talked about him being a borderline NBA player. You don't replace two productive veterans for unknowns.

Dre_7
04-23-2005, 01:43 PM
Scola is a PF, he cant replace Rasho, IMO.

Brodels
04-23-2005, 01:44 PM
Scola is a PF, he cant replace Rasho, IMO.

I think he's probably advocating that we move Duncan to center or let Nazr start.

Neither of those players is going to replace Rasho's defense, that's for sure. Offense is a different matter.

T Park
04-23-2005, 01:44 PM
Javtokas replaces Nesterovic.

IF, and this is a BIG ASS IF, the Spurs win the ring this year?? I think Horry retires.

Brodels
04-23-2005, 01:47 PM
Javtokas replaces Nesterovic.

IF, and this is a BIG ASS IF, the Spurs win the ring this year?? I think Horry retires.

RC has said that Javtokas is a borderline NBA player, and now you want him to replace the team's starting center?

What happened to your love for Rasho? For all of Rasho's faults, at least he's a known quantity. Javtokas hasn't even shown that he can play in the NBA.

T Park
04-23-2005, 01:59 PM
Link to where RC said that???

Borderline maybe a year ago.

But the guy has serious game.

Anyone that steps up, like he did the other day in that championship game.

What happened to your love for Rasho?

I still have it, but im also realistic. If this team finds a young, athletic, gigantic jumping player, that can replace what Rasho game, but also be better in other areas?

Then you do it.

whottt
04-23-2005, 02:01 PM

Why are people still determined to dump Horry? He's still probably the second best big on the team.

JUUOT
04-23-2005, 02:07 PM
I am not ready to let rasho go he has proven to be a cornerstone of the system especially in defense.
I agree that horry is not far from retiring esp if get a ringand it woth it replace mass and marks by players to give them a chance. this leave 3 places free while still keeping rasho duncan and nazr. So let s bring scola, javtokas and another big to see what they have to offer.
Concerning sanikidze, he effectively has spent a lot of time on the bench earlier on the season but when one of the best european coach (known for discovering new talents) arrived he immediatly for the first game move sanikidze who is 19 in the starting line-up. One more year training under a great coach in France and he will be NBA materials without a doubt. season 2006-2007 not before
Concerning the draft a few good plyer could end up to the 28 seed because not in momentum, but we can count on pop to not pass his turn. i really have hopes on turiaf who is t parker good friend and a big heart on the court and outside.