PDA

View Full Version : Weird lights over Norway

jcrod
12-10-2009, 03:23 AM
Got this from another forum. Freaky light display.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/34353245#34352404

Gerryatrics
12-10-2009, 07:56 AM
That was pretty awesome looking. Probably a little scary seeing that live too.

OkT3I6RDPkw

That link went to the wrong video for me by the way. I think this is the right one. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/34353245#34353245

BacktoBasics
12-10-2009, 09:54 AM
Confirmed to be a missile launch.

Bukefal
12-10-2009, 10:03 AM
It was a sign of god to welcome Obama to Norway and congratulate him on his Nobel Peace prize :lol

peewee's lovechild
12-10-2009, 10:03 AM
I would have preferred for it to have been a rip in the time/space continuum.

That would have been kick ass.

peewee's lovechild
12-10-2009, 10:04 AM
It was a sign of god to welcome Obama to Norway and congratulate him on his Nobel Peace prize :lol

Because God is a Democrat.

CosmicCowboy
12-10-2009, 10:30 AM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1234430/Mystery-spiral-blue-light-display-hovers-Norway.html

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/12/09/article-1234430-07887B10000005DC-48_634x421.jpg

peewee's lovechild
12-10-2009, 10:31 AM
^^

That looks like some Dr. Who shit right there.

peewee's lovechild
12-10-2009, 10:31 AM
Maybe it was Jesus using Norway as a toilet.

mrsmaalox
12-10-2009, 10:33 AM
Very cool.

Is Russia still denying it?

lefty
12-10-2009, 10:34 AM
Another X-mas hoax

CosmicCowboy
12-10-2009, 10:47 AM
http://blog.modernmechanix.com/mags/qf/c/MechanixIllustrated/3-1947/cosmic_ray_gun/med_cosmic_ray_gun_1.jpg

mrsmaalox
12-10-2009, 10:50 AM
Another X-mas hoax

Another? Do the Norwegians have a tradition of X-mas hoaxes?

mrsmaalox
12-10-2009, 10:57 AM
http://blog.modernmechanix.com/mags/qf/c/MechanixIllustrated/3-1947/cosmic_ray_gun/med_cosmic_ray_gun_1.jpg

Show us your ray gun, Cosmic ;)

florige
12-10-2009, 11:17 AM
I would have preferred for it to have been a rip in the time/space continuum.

That would have been kick ass.

Anyone here ever see that movie The Mist? I wonder if it is a portal to another dimension where giant oversized rodents come out and consume us all?

peewee's lovechild
12-10-2009, 11:53 AM
Anyone here ever see that movie The Mist? I wonder if it is a portal to another dimension where giant oversized rodents come out and consume us all?

If that's true, then Stephen King is a prophet.

And, that shit would also be scary as hell.

jcrod
12-10-2009, 12:32 PM
Very cool.

Is Russia still denying it?

They're admitting they shot a missle. I just don't see how a missle can do that and for as long as it did it.

The Franchise
12-10-2009, 12:56 PM

When have you ever seen a missile launch that looked anything like that?

Viva Las Espuelas
12-10-2009, 01:37 PM
When have you ever seen a missile launch that looked anything like that?

Yeah. That spiral thing was pretty odd looking.

fraga
12-10-2009, 01:44 PM
El diablo...

z0sa
12-10-2009, 01:46 PM
The Mist's ending was different in the book. What is it about Hollywood thinking they can make better endings to King's stories than the writer himself ...

jacobdrj
12-10-2009, 01:49 PM
ITS A TRAP! - Admiral Akbar...

fraga
12-10-2009, 01:50 PM
How did it end in the book...cause the movies ending was just fucked up...

peewee's lovechild
12-10-2009, 01:52 PM
The Mist's ending was different in the book. What is it about Hollywood thinking they can make better endings to King's stories than the writer himself ...

Yea, but it was still good.

peewee's lovechild
12-10-2009, 01:52 PM

The dad doesn't kill his kid.

z0sa
12-10-2009, 01:55 PM

They imply they may end up offing themselves, but it never happens because the main guy believes there's still hope (due to a phantom radio signal, IIRC). There's absolutely no mention of them actually killing themselves, and therefore, definitely no mention of the Army sweeping in and saving everyone right after the suicides (no mention of the Military saving anyone at all, actually).

MiamiHeat
12-10-2009, 02:05 PM
It could be a missile

but the spiral formation is way too tight, not likely to be a missile, though possible

florige
12-10-2009, 02:16 PM
They imply they may end up offing themselves, but it never happens because the main guy believes there's still hope (due to a phantom radio signal, IIRC). There's absolutely no mention of them actually killing themselves, and therefore, definitely no mention of the Army sweeping in and saving everyone right after the suicides (no mention of the Military saving anyone at all, actually).

So the book just leaves you wondering?

Bukefal
12-10-2009, 02:17 PM
New Russian missile failure sparks UFO frenzy

MOSCOW (AFP) – Russia's new nuclear-capable missile suffered another failed test launch, the defence ministry said Thursday, solving the mystery of a spectacular plume of white light that appeared over Norway.
The Bulava missile was test-fired from the submarine Dmitry Donskoi in the White Sea early Wednesday but failed at the third stage, the defence ministry said in a statement.

The pre-dawn morning launch coincided with the appearance of an extraordinary light over northern Norway that captivated observers.
Images of the light that appeared in the sky above the Norwegian city of Tromso and elsewhere prompted explanations ranging from a meteor, northern lights, a failed missile or even a UFO.

Describing the latest failure of the Bulava as a major embarrassment for the military, leading Russian defence analyst Pavel Felgenhauer said the images were consistent with a missile failure.
"Such lights and clouds appear from time to time when a missile fails in the upper layers of the atmosphere and have been reported before," he told AFP.

"At least this failed test made some nice fireworks for the Norwegians," he joked.

The White Sea, which is the usual site for such missile tests by Russian submarines, lies close to Norway's own Arctic region.
This was the 12th test launch of the Bulava and the seventh time the firing has ended in failure, the Interfax news agency said.

The submarine-launched missile is central to Russia's plan to revamp its ageing weapons arsenal but is beset by development problems.
"The first two stages of the rocket worked but in the final and third stage there was a technical failure," the defence ministry said in a statement.
The statement said the problem was with the engine in the third stage, while in past launches the first stage had been faulty.

The problems with the Bulava have become an agonising issue for the defence ministry, which has ploughed a large proportion of its procurement budget into ensuring the missile becomes the key element of its rocket forces.

The previous failure in July forced the resignation of Yury Solomonov, the director of the Moscow Institute of Thermal Technology which is responsible for developing the missile.

Felgenhauer said that it had dealt a serious blow to Russia's bid to maintain a credible nuclear deterrent.

"By the year 2030, Russia could lose its position as a global nuclear power if the problems are not solved. And it could be that these missiles will never fly properly.

"The Russian defence industry has disintegrated to such an extent that it simply cannot make such a complicated system work. Technology and expertise have been lost," he said.
The problems are also a major political embarrassment, coming as Russia negotiates with the United States the parameters of a new arms reduction treaty to replace the 1991 START accord.

The treaty expired on December 5, and despite intense negotiations the two sides have yet to agree the text of a new deal.

In a separate development, a successful test-firing took place of Russia's intercontinental surface-to-surface ballistic missile Topol RS-12M, news agencies quoted a statement from the strategic rocket forces as saying.
The missile -- introduced to the rocket forces before the fall of the Soviet Union -- was fired from the southern Russian region of Astrakhan and hit its target at a testing range in neighbouring Kazakhstan.

The Bulava, which can be equipped with up to 10 individually targeted nuclear warheads, has a maximum range of 8,000 kilometres (5,000 miles).
It is the sea-based version of the Topol-M, Russia's new surface-to-surface intercontinental missile, and designed to be launched from Moscow's newest Borei class of submarines.

Defence analysts say that a further headache for the military is that the new submarines are designed to be compatible with Bulava and if the new missile fails to work the vessels will be virtually useless.

z0sa
12-10-2009, 02:27 PM
So the book just leaves you wondering?

Yep. King left open, even pondered the likelihood of the possibility of them eventually offing themselves, sure, but then they just as likely didn't. The military sweeping in and the Mist disappearing as if everything's gonna turn out OK definitely diverges from the book, though.

peewee's lovechild
12-10-2009, 02:32 PM
Yep. King left open, even pondered the likelihood of the possibility of them eventually offing themselves, sure, but then they just as likely didn't. The military sweeping in and the Mist disappearing as if everything's gonna turn out OK definitely diverges from the book, though.

But, King did say that he really liked Darabont's ending.

peewee's lovechild
12-10-2009, 02:34 PM
King often has trouble with endings. For example, he recently said that he is revisiting the Dark Tower series and that he might even change the ending because he was never fond of it and the fans (or constant readers) keep complaining about it.

z0sa
12-10-2009, 02:35 PM
But, King did say that he really liked Darabont's ending.

I think the ending is one of many possible endings, but it felt too cliche to me. He offs his kid and doesn't immediately kill himself, of course... and how would the Military kill those huge 4 legged building sized reptile things without planes or helicopters operating in heavy, monster-and-mist filled air? That was what destroyed the ending for me, actually. Those monsters could probably take out a line of tanks without problem, especially with the mist as cover, but maybe my imagination is running a little too wild.

peewee's lovechild
12-10-2009, 02:42 PM
I think the ending is one of many possible endings, but it felt too cliche to me. He offs his kid and doesn't immediately kill himself, of course... and how would the Military kill those huge 4 legged building sized reptile things without planes or helicopters operating in heavy, monster-and-mist filled air? That was what destroyed the ending for me, actually. Those monsters could probably take out a line of tanks without problem, especially with the mist as cover, but maybe my imagination is running a little too wild.

I don't think the movie implies that the military killed off everything. It just showed that the military rescued some people and it all took place on the fringe of the mist.

If you remember the Dark Tower series, the mist is actually a "thinny". And, you could survive on the fringes, but you will certainly die once you go in deeper. Roland and his friends even used the thinny to kill off the armed forces that were chasing them.

peewee's lovechild
12-10-2009, 02:43 PM
And, it can't really be cliche if the guy does the unexpected by killing his kid only to realize that he was literally minutes away from being rescued.

z0sa
12-10-2009, 02:49 PM
I don't think the movie implies that the military killed off everything. It just showed that the military rescued some people and it all took place on the fringe of the mist.

It's a novel idea, but there was never any mention of how close they were to the fringe IIRC.

If you remember the Dark Tower series, the mist is actually a "thinny". And, you could survive on the fringes, but you will certainly die once you go in deeper. Roland and his friends even used the thinny to kill off the armed forces that were chasing them.

I have only read the Gunslinger. I have a ton of reading to do there, good idea. I'm reading IT right now, great great read.

z0sa
12-10-2009, 02:52 PM
And, it can't really be cliche if the guy does the unexpected by killing his kid only to realize that he was literally minutes away from being rescued.

Maybe "predictable" would fit better, but it DID feel cliche .. of COURSE the Army swoops in and saves you right after you kill your kid to save him being torn apart by foul creatures.

peewee's lovechild
12-10-2009, 02:55 PM
It's a novel idea, but there was never any mention of how close they were to the fringe IIRC.

If memory serves me, when the military passes and the camera is moving out, you see daylight up ahead and the mist diminishing. That's how I remember it, but I could be wrong.

I have only read the Gunslinger. I have a ton of reading to do there, good idea. I'm reading IT right now, great great read.

Dude, you have to read the entire Dark Tower series. IT is nothing compared to the series. This is coming from the biggest King fan in the world. Trust me, you will not be disappointed if you read the entire series.

The "thinny" is prominent in the book "Wizard and Glass" as it tells the story of Roland and his friends when they were young and how they used the thinny to defeat the evil forces. "The Talisman", "Black House", "Insomnia", and "Hearts in Atlantis" are all related to the Dark Tower series in one way or another and I think all of them mention things coming from something that is very much like a mist/thinny.

florige
12-10-2009, 02:56 PM

But I thought the whole thing was that he only had 4 bullets?

peewee's lovechild
12-10-2009, 02:56 PM
Maybe "predictable" would fit better, but it DID feel cliche .. of COURSE the Army swoops in and saves you right after you kill your kid to save him being torn apart by foul creatures.

Cliche and predictable would have been for them to be rescued before he offed anyone.

z0sa
12-10-2009, 03:01 PM
But I thought the whole thing was that he only had 4 bullets?

I don't remember. The event never happened in the story, so I'm getting things confused...

z0sa
12-10-2009, 03:05 PM
Cliche and predictable would have been for them to be rescued before he offed anyone.

Perhaps, I honestly don't watch many movies, but I really saw it coming and hadn't even read the story yet... this is getting off the point, which is that I don't think it was the most logical conclusion. I interpreted the book's ending as being hopeful even. It's King's story, and if he loved the ending great... but it still wasn't how the story ended. It just drops off with them facing bleak chances but remembering the hopeful radio signal IIRC, and the next story begins (it's actually the longest in a collection of short stories, Skeleton Crew I think).

florige
12-10-2009, 03:07 PM
I don't remember. The event never happened in the story, so I'm getting things confused...

Yeah in the movie the whole thing was that he only had 4 bullets and there were five of them. After he offed everyone, he got out of the car and was screaming for the oversized bugs to "COME ON"! As he said that the mist cleared the army pulled thru with all the survivors. (ironically enough with a ton of kids)

z0sa
12-10-2009, 03:09 PM
Yeah in the movie the whole thing was that he only had 4 bullets and there were five of them. After he offed everyone, he got out of the car and was screaming for the oversized bugs to "COME ON"! As he said that the mist cleared the army pulled thru with all the survivors. (ironically enough with a ton of kids)

Yeah, the main thing I remembered was the almost symbolic way the Mist suddenly just clears. That's why I felt like the Military was successfully wiping everything out, the Mist disappears...

florige
12-10-2009, 03:12 PM
Yeah, the main thing I remembered was the almost symbolic way the Mist suddenly just clears. That's why I felt like the Military wiped everything out, the Mist disappears...

Actually there was a thread on IMdb that posed the question as to why the Mist just mysteriously dissapeared once the Army came thru. I can understand the portal closing, but was left wondering why the Mist all of the sudden vanished.

The Reckoning
12-10-2009, 03:14 PM
wasnt obama supposed to tell the whole world about the Mist?

MiamiHeat
12-10-2009, 03:18 PM
who the f would read stephen king?

shitty fiction books about killer frying pans, sheesh

z0sa
12-10-2009, 03:23 PM
who the f would read stephen king?

shitty fiction books about killer frying pans, sheesh

It's almost like you're trying to embarrass yourself.

lefty
12-10-2009, 04:00 PM
It's almost like you're trying to embarrass yourself.
I agree with him

Don't get me wrong, King has written 2-3 great books, but the rest is really shitty

lefty
12-10-2009, 04:02 PM
Another? Do the Norwegians have a tradition of X-mas hoaxes?
Haven't you read the book " Norway's tradition of X-mas hoaxes ", written by Ole-Gunnar Gravagaer ?

Spursfan092120
12-10-2009, 04:06 PM
http://www.city-data.com/forum/members/lusitan-265433-albums-new-jersey-housing-market-collapse-pic27887-iraqi-information-minister.jpg

Phenomanul
12-10-2009, 05:05 PM
(If not a hoax) I don't know if I buy the after-the-fact admission that this was some failed missile test... that was a double, not a single spiral swirling tail.... and the big 'black dot' at the end clearly had a ring around it...

ManuTP9
12-10-2009, 06:39 PM
What kind of missle could have produced a perfectly symmetrical ripple and a translucent electric blue dna-esque streak in the air hundreds of miles across?

I don't think that was a weapon.

http://i45.tinypic.com/hty0b4.jpg

http://i48.tinypic.com/10cvk44.jpg

whottt
12-10-2009, 08:57 PM
RE: The Mist

The ending was a very clever way of making it the biblical apocalypse. Thomas Jane, the non-believer was in effect the bad guy, without(us or him) ever actually realizing the bad guy, the bat shit crazy bitch was the good guy without us ever actually realizing she was the good guy. And Thomas Jane was left in hell, whether the mist was gone or not. If he'd listened to the crazy woman, and believed, pretty much everything would have turned out differentlly. He was truly damned, whether the mist was completely gone or not isn't clear, but the fact that particular mist cleared up, which should have been a victorious moment, was instead his moment of personal damnation that will never end until his life is over. His fate was much more hellish than if he'd been killed by those creatrues.

They even foreshadowed it when that mosquito from hell didn't bite the crazy bitch.

It was actually very cleverly done IMO, and I didn't see it coming at all, it was a very good twist that totally altered or reversed pretty much every role in the movie, ...And I mean personally I can't think of too many movies where a guy shoots his son to save him from suffering only to seconds later find out he did so needlessly. It's not a common ending at all based on the movies I have seen...not even for a horror movie.

BlackSwordsMan
12-10-2009, 09:01 PM
sky volcanoes is some trippy shit

fraga
12-10-2009, 09:05 PM
Reports are coming in from Norway.....there seems to be strange creatures...coming...from....the fog...

http://www.karcreat.com/MIST-fx5.jpg

jcrod
12-10-2009, 10:19 PM
What kind of missle could have produced a perfectly symmetrical ripple and a translucent electric blue dna-esque streak in the air hundreds of miles across?

I don't think that was a weapon.

http://i45.tinypic.com/hty0b4.jpg

http://i48.tinypic.com/10cvk44.jpg

Yeah, i get the fuel can cause the blue light strike twirling. But i don't buy a missle can cause the white ripple that will was there continously for awhile. And what about the light at the bottom of the bluse streak? I would have freaked if I was there.