PDA

View Full Version : San Antonio bicycle master plan is rolling

TheWriter
04-23-2005, 03:52 AM
Bicycle master plan is rolling

Web Posted: 04/22/2005 12:00 AM CDT

Patrick Driscoll
Express-News Staff Writer

After 30 years of shelved efforts, the City Council on Thursday did what was once considered more laughable than serious — it passed a bicycle master plan.

The ambitious blueprint calls for bicycle routes to be considered on many of the major streets in San Antonio, including new roads in developments. That amounts to more than 1,600 miles of off-road paths, separate bike lanes on roads or lanes shared with cars.

Currently, the San Antonio area has just 228 miles of bike routes either on the ground or funded for construction.

"This is the first substantive step," Councilman Julián Castro said of the plan, which was approved by a unanimous vote.

Castro wasn't even a year old when an earlier bicycle master plan was trotted out by city staff in 1975 and ignored by the council.

The Metropolitan Planning Organization, which oversees federal transportation dollars here, followed with two other plans and a couple of studies.

In 1997, the city adopted a master plan that included goals to establish more bike routes. Then in 2001, a revamped development code required bikeways in new developments and redevelopments.

However, the development code included a proviso that a bicycle master plan must first be in place. It took four more years for the council to solve that problem, which included some foot dragging during the past year because of concerns from developers about added costs.

"The developers actually came around," said Scott Ericksen, a spokesman with the Metropolitan Planning Organization, which helped put the city's bicycle plan together. "I'm not sure they're thrilled about giving away too much right of way."

Officials with the Real Estate Council of San Antonio couldn't be reached for comment.

Bicycle advocates, who lobbied the city hard in recent months, see the plan as a turning point.

"It's long overdue," said William Hudson, past president of the San Antonio Wheelmen. "San Antonio is still behind most of the major metropolitan areas, but this is a major milestone."

But the plan will take decades to complete, will not be cheap, and getting the money will be a challenge, said Tom Wendorf, the city's public works director.

"It's an evolution, not a revolution," he said.

Developers will put bikeways on an estimated 12 percent of the city's roads as they're built out. Other streets are either constructed or grandfathered, and therefore will need to be retrofitted for bike routes as funds become available.

City, county and state officials already try to add bicycle facilities to roads as they're widened or rebuilt. For the city, the master plan identifies streets where such efforts are now mandatory.

Some of the city's $8.5 million a year from a recent voter-approved sales tax increase will be used for bike routes, Wendorf said. Other potential sources include grants, bonds, private partnerships and the Alamo Regional Mobility Authority.

One idea, not yet floated as an official proposal, is to increase the local vehicle registration fee or add a bicycle registration fee.

"It's one of those ideas out there that ought to be explored," Wendorf said.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/citycouncil/stories/MYSA042205.1B.council.1ff5bdbf4.html

timvp
04-23-2005, 05:00 PM
Bike riders don't belong in the street. They get in the way.

MannyIsGod
04-23-2005, 09:18 PM
The bike lanes they put on most new streets are really a great idea. I think they definetly promote bike riding as a form of transportation for people here in town. I never realized taht there is a substantial portion of the population here in town that actually does bike riding.

If you go to Alamo Heights, where you can find things much closer to the homes (IE near Central Market) you will find LOTS of people constantly riding bikes to run errands. I dig it.

scott
04-23-2005, 09:21 PM
Drive more.

desflood
04-23-2005, 09:47 PM
There are some idiot drivers in this city. I'd be too afraid to ride a bike anywhere.

MannyIsGod
04-25-2005, 10:49 AM
There are some idiot drivers in this city. I'd be too afraid to ride a bike anywhere.
Seriously, there are. I've had my share of scares because of moron's on the road.

Actually, It's been awhile since I've gone on a ride, and that's one huge reason why. I got tired of the near misses that scared me half to death.

Taco
04-25-2005, 02:25 PM
The heck with bike lanes build freaking sidewalks!!!

Mark in Austin
04-25-2005, 07:20 PM
There's nothing wrong with a bike master plan or bike lanes in and of themselves.

However, they won't be nearly as useful as they could be as long as the primary, (if not only) development pattern we see in the San Antonio area is sprawl. Bike lanes are most effective in more densely developed areas. City planners look at places like the Netherlands and see 50% of the population riding bicycles on a highly sophisticated "bike lane" system, and also see the relative health of those countries (or lack of fatness, if you prefer) and the reduced dependence on fossil fuels and think it's a no-brainer.

But that part of Europe has for years now had in place policies that protect open space and farmland from development, and encourage a denser, more sustainable development pattern in metro areas. Without this aspect to the plan, there really won't be the kind of impact some are hoping the master bicycle plan will have.

People need to recognize it is a good first step, not the final solution.

TheWriter
04-25-2005, 07:26 PM
Bike lanes work anywhere.

In sprawl, in dense urban cores, etc.

What they do is allow someone riding a bike the safety of their own lane instead of being in the path of a car or truck. They also encourage people to ride bikes, not as a their main means of transportation but just to ride a bike and be active.

Mark in Austin
04-25-2005, 07:39 PM
Re-read what I posted. I didn't say they don't work. I said that they could be a lot more effective and utilized at a much higher rate if there is a change in development patterns.

Even in areas where there are currently bike lanes in San Antonio, you don't see people using them for anything other than "bike rides". Nobody (or a group so small as to be insignificant statistically) is riding their bikes to work, or to run errands. That is still almost exclusively the jurisdiction of the automobile.

If you want to move beyond bike lanes being utilized almost exclusively for recreational purposes to being a true choice in a multi-modal transportation grid, you have to have denser development.

TheWriter
04-25-2005, 07:43 PM
True.

However, I like having But having 1,600 miles of bike lanes compared to 228 bike lanes.

Sad thing is, no city in the US is ever going to not be depended on the automobile.

Mark in Austin
04-25-2005, 07:57 PM
They also encourage people to ride bikes, not as a their main means of transportation but just to ride a bike and be active.

Perhaps, but that is not a justifiable reason for them to be built. If you want to encourage recreational activity, you invest in a hike/bike trailway system that is accessible to all neighborhoods and ties into a sidewalk system that is widened, landscaped, and better protected from the street traffic. That way parents aren't actively concerned for or flat-out forbid their children from using the current three foot wide sidewalks (if any exist at all) that put kids six inches from cars doing 45 mph. That much more directly addressess issues of activity.

The primary purpose of bike lanes on roads is to get you from one place to another, not to be where you send kids out ride and be active.

Mark in Austin
04-25-2005, 08:24 PM
True.

However, I like having But having 1,600 miles of bike lanes compared to 228 bike lanes.

Sad thing is, no city in the US is ever going to not be depended on the automobile.

I like more bike lanes too. Like I said, it is a good first step.

Cities all across the US are taking active steps to make sure there are alternatives to Autos. Look at the success of the DART light rail system in the metroplex as a nearby example. Or the Leander to Austin commuter rail line approved by voters last November. Or rapid buss tecnology that will allow for busses to run more efficient, on-time routes. Hell, even tolled "express lanes" can be part of the solution, as well as bike lanes.

The key is to have a multi-modal system that gives people a real choice in how they get around. The challenge is to try to tweak development patterns so that these systems can maximize their effectiveness. The transit oriented development hubs developing around each DART stop are a good example of how you can integrate denser development into an existing sprawl area - and do so in a way that actually makes the developer a significant profit. It does require a paradigm shift in how one looks at growth and development, though.

Incidentally, that is one major reason why I was so pissed this fucking council couln't get its act together and get that assistant city manager from Arizona here to fill the City Manager's role. She would have been am great fit with rerspect to development issues. She was widely hailed as the architect and driving force behind a multi-year plan that has completely (successfully) transformed their downtown into a viable community again. The last phase: bringing the University downtown. What a fantastic resource she would have been for San Antonio. If she could make the same impact here, she'd be worth ten times the salary she was offered.