PDA

View Full Version : Lowell traded to rangers

yavozerb
12-10-2009, 11:42 AM
Lowell trade awaiting final approval cbssports.com
-- A trade sending Mike Lowell to the Rangers is in place, awaiting final approval from Red Sox ownership.

Sources involved in the deal said that the Red Sox will pay $7-8 million of Lowell's $11 million 2010 salary. The Red Sox would get catcher Max Ramirez.

The Rangers have Michael Young at third base, but they see Lowell getting some at-bats at first base (in place of Chris Davis) and as the designated hitter, limiting his playing time enough to protect his surgically repaired hip. They also see Lowell as a good influence in their clubhouse.

It's possible that the Red Sox could end up signing free-agent third baseman Adrian Beltre, or that they could acquire a first baseman such as San Diego's Adrian Gonzalez and use Kevin Youkilis at third base.

The cash-strapped Rangers traded Kevin Millwood to the Orioles this week, and in effect used the money they saved to add both Lowell and pitcher Rich Harden, with maybe $2 million remaining to fill other needs in the coming weeks.

yavozerb
12-10-2009, 11:44 AM
Sorry, trade not finalizd yet...If this does go down I would gladly take lowell, Harden, 2 million $ over millwood anyday..

IronMexican
12-10-2009, 12:00 PM
Has Lowell done much since 2007?

Whisky Dog
12-10-2009, 12:31 PM
Has Lowell done much since 2007?

No, but unfortunately the Rangers are in full blown bottom feeding mode trying to unload salary and make the books look as nice as possible for a sale to hopefully good new owners.

They are going to have a lot of guys like Lowell and Harden this year - guys who have had big issues recently and are trying to make a comeback. The only good thing is that Max Ramirez really regressed as a prospect last year so it wasn't much of a loss to the farm system.

yavozerb
12-10-2009, 01:41 PM
450+ ab's with 17 hr's,75 rbi's, gold-glove winning fielder and 270 BA in 2009. The guy is a qaulity utility man at this point in his career. I really dont see these players as "bottom feeding" players cause the Rangers have to have veterans like these guys to mix in with all the young talent the rangers have.

Whisky Dog
12-10-2009, 01:55 PM
The reason it's considered bottom feeding is because they are taking fliers on bargains, guys who are coming off of injuries and have big question marks so are cheaper. That's all they can do right now with the ownership situation. It's a risk, but if they get a bit of luck guys like Lowell and Harden will be healthy and produce. It's the same thing they did with guys like Gagne, Sosa, Lofton, and Andrew Jones in the past.

sribb43
12-10-2009, 10:05 PM
I like the move , much better than having garbage guys like Phil Nevin , Jason Botts, etc

dallaskd
12-10-2009, 10:34 PM
well.. i really enjoyed you playing here Blalock :tu

Hopefully we still have the money to bring back Byrd.

Chris
12-11-2009, 01:27 AM
Blalock can DH and play first. He's not going anywhere any time soon. Lowell will most likely backup Young at 3rd and pinch hit with some occasional games at DH.

sribb43
12-11-2009, 09:41 AM
well.. i really enjoyed you playing here Blalock :tu

Hopefully we still have the money to bring back Byrd.

Rangers have no shot at retaining Byrd....I see him as another Gary Matthews Jr singing that some team will way over pay for. Love Marlon but no at the $$$$ and years for a player 30+

dallaskd
12-11-2009, 08:34 PM
Blalock can DH and play first. He's not going anywhere any time soon. Lowell will most likely backup Young at 3rd and pinch hit with some occasional games at DH.

Blalock is a free agent though. Depends how cheap we can get him.

Chris
12-12-2009, 02:33 AM
Blalock is a free agent though. Depends how cheap we can get him.

Doubt we'll get him cheap. You're probably right, he will be gone.

dallaskd
12-12-2009, 10:05 AM
Yup, rumors are we will stick Lowell at first and Borbon will DH.

sribb43
12-12-2009, 10:37 PM

Hank days as a Ranger are done