PDA

View Full Version : LOL...yeah I'm a jerk...hehehe

CosmicCowboy
12-10-2009, 04:55 PM
A big part of my business is working on big industrial and commercial boilers/burners and I have invested tens of thousands of dollars in diagnostics equipment and probably another $100,000 in parts on hand so we can service our customers in a timely manner...We are expensive but we are damn good.

In a lot of cases we are the only people in town that have the parts.

About 10 years ago they changed the state laws and instead of being in their separate regulatory category the State put boilers under the heat and air conditioning category so suddenly anyone with a HVAC license was "authorized" to work on boilers even if they didn't know a fucking thing about them...and 99% of them don't...

I have a steady stream of technicians coming into my office from these companies wanting to get programmers tested ( I charge them to test) because that's all they know to do if a boiler doesn't work. Nine times out of ten there's nothing wrong with the programmer...and then they always start asking me what else to look for and how to fix it...

I'm like ...uhhh...gee, I don't know...I'm not the technician on the job and I'm not looking at it so I really can't tell you what to do...you just start at A and check that, then go to B and check that and then go to C and check that and keep going and eventually you will find the problem...(I literally use letters)...the brighter ones get the message that I have no intention of telling them how to do their job but at least 3 out of 4 keep asking...but what do I look at next? I finally told one a few minutes ago to call his boss or whoever told their customer they knew how to work on boilers and ask him what to do...

thispego
12-10-2009, 05:01 PM
:ttiwwp:

peewee's lovechild
12-10-2009, 05:02 PM
Ok.

Dr. Gonzo
12-10-2009, 05:02 PM
Can you throw a few more dollar amounts in your post?

Re-Animator
12-10-2009, 05:05 PM
No matter how much of a jerk you think you are at least Phyzix allows you to post in the NASA topics!

mrsmaalox
12-10-2009, 05:08 PM
:ttiwwp:

:lmao

symple19
12-10-2009, 05:22 PM
Wow, you're horrible. An absolute terror upon the fabric of our society.

:sleep

spurs_fan_in_exile
12-10-2009, 05:40 PM
Pretty low grade jerkery there. I was hoping for something more along the lines of giving these guys bad advice that would result in the boilers exploding and killing the offending technicians.

PM5K
12-10-2009, 05:45 PM
It's not being a jerk, it's almost like a trade secret but I know that's not the right word for what this is, but that's the closest I can think of at the moment.

It would be as if someone came to me and asked me who my supplier was, if I tell you my supplier you can just go get the shit from them for a lot less. Of course you have to have the money to order wholesale, but if you did you could turn around and compete against me.

It's absurd to think your competitors would ask you for free advice.

What you need to do is get those same companies to refer their boiler work directly to you in return for a referral fee.

Don't get mad, get money.

RealEstateDude
12-10-2009, 11:37 PM
Fuck em, tell them to go back to school or charge the shit out of them. Survival of the wittiest...

Alonzo Harris
12-10-2009, 11:41 PM
I really hope the granny clan of spurstalk sees my post, I'll look so hardcore. They'll want my old wrinkled ass for sure!

z0sa
12-10-2009, 11:45 PM
^ LOL who's the granny clan?

Alonzo Harris
12-10-2009, 11:46 PM
I'm not one to say any names, but you could figure them out.

GAYTRAIN
12-10-2009, 11:48 PM
A big part of my business is working on big industrial and commercial boilers/burners and I have invested tens of thousands of dollars in diagnostics equipment and probably another $100,000 in parts on hand so we can service our customers in a timely manner...We are expensive but we are damn good.

In a lot of cases we are the only people in town that have the parts.

About 10 years ago they changed the state laws and instead of being in their separate regulatory category the State put boilers under the heat and air conditioning category so suddenly anyone with a HVAC license was "authorized" to work on boilers even if they didn't know a fucking thing about them...and 99% of them don't...

I have a steady stream of technicians coming into my office from these companies wanting to get programmers tested ( I charge them to test) because that's all they know to do if a boiler doesn't work. Nine times out of ten there's nothing wrong with the programmer...and then they always start asking me what else to look for and how to fix it...

I'm like ...uhhh...gee, I don't know...I'm not the technician on the job and I'm not looking at it so I really can't tell you what to do...you just start at A and check that, then go to B and check that and then go to C and check that and keep going and eventually you will find the problem...(I literally use letters)...the brighter ones get the message that I have no intention of telling them how to do their job but at least 3 out of 4 keep asking...but what do I look at next? I finally told one a few minutes ago to call his boss or whoever told their customer they knew how to work on boilers and ask him what to do...

who gives a shit, you fucking wanna be richer!

But can we hook up anyway if you want :)

z0sa
12-10-2009, 11:59 PM
I can't believe how badass of a jerk you are.

BacktoBasics
12-11-2009, 09:53 AM
I feel your pain.

Bigzax
12-11-2009, 10:01 AM
damnit cosmic, from now on, all your stories are to end with you holding up some bastard against the wall darth vader style...

peewee's lovechild
12-11-2009, 10:06 AM
I once gave a kid a No. 3 pencil for a test when a No. 2 pencil was required.

Yea, I know . . . I'm a mean mother fucker.

to21
12-11-2009, 10:07 AM
Cool story!

:tu

to21
12-11-2009, 10:08 AM
Shit....that aint nothing. I once loaded this ladies PC with XP Home edtion , the bitch wanted Pro. She doesn't even know the difference.

Yeah I'm a jerk.

florige
12-11-2009, 10:08 AM

I keep forgetting you were a teacher.

peewee's lovechild
12-11-2009, 10:10 AM
I keep forgetting you were a teacher.

So do I, until the nightmares return.

DarkReign
12-11-2009, 11:53 AM
Wow, you're horrible. An absolute terror upon the fabric of our society.

:sleep

I really hope the granny clan of spurstalk sees my post, I'll look so hardcore. They'll want my old wrinkled ass for sure!

who gives a shit, you fucking wanna be richer!

But can we hook up anyway if you want :)

I laughed heartily. Especially GAYTRAIN.