PDA

View Full Version : Encouraging observation

spurspokesman
12-11-2009, 10:07 AM
I just want to share a viewpoint of mine and gather your thoughts. First off let me admit that I have been one of the posters ripping about what the spurs have been doing wrong. Like for instance I stated that I felt parker was A big part of the spurs problem with his attack first mentality(which is almost second to none on A side note)and inability or will to get others involved. Duncan who I have no gripes ever about being willing to release some of his touches (which he doesn't have to) to make RJ more effective and therefore putting less strain on Gino. With that in mind let me step out to give props where it is due. (Albeit it was the kings here are A few encouraging observations I saw.)

Parker- If he can develop A mentality to create A little more for others outside of the drive and kick on A consistent basis like he did against the kings and pick his spots to attack it will add a versatility to this team that will definitely make us tougher to defend as teams will not be able to just key in on parker and duncan and will have to seriously consider others and pick there poison. It will also SHUT ME UP. Props to him and I'm amazed at how he is adapting. If he keeps it up that will be big.

Duncan- Nothing much to be said . He's TIM. But I saw him clearing out for RJ and even scanning and finding him on cuts. I really see A act of unselfishness going on and its great. He also found dyess for A good one. But this is usual tim but props Tim.

RJ- When Tim and Tony has notably gave up touches and altered there usual routines slightly to get him involved he shows up big. Hope this continues. Im still on the RJ wagon.

Ginobilli- Finding a will through injuries to play big. Maybe he will get right at the right time and then once again silence his critics. But thats A big MAYBE with him. He played great though.

The rest of the crew- The usual suspects Blair hill mase dyess bonner, getting in where they fit in. I hope it continues.

Only remaining issue- Frontline D. Duncan is still the glue but I would really like another big. I still see us coming around if this type of play continues on offense and we go grab A big that plays big. LOL. My fantasy big next to tim. Marcus Camby. He hustles gets offensive boards and discourages shots at the cup. And will give you A couple of buckets.I can at least dream right. :flag:

portnoy1
12-11-2009, 10:53 AM
i just want to share a viewpoint of mine and gather your thoughts. First off let me admit that i have been one of the posters ripping about what the spurs have been doing wrong. Like for instance i stated that i felt parker was a big part of the spurs problem with his attack first mentality(which is almost second to none on a side note)and inability or will to get others involved. Duncan who i have no gripes ever about being willing to release some of his touches (which he doesn't have to) to make rj more effective and therefore putting less strain on gino. With that in mind let me step out to give props where it is due. (albeit it was the kings here are a few encouraging observations i saw.)

parker- if he can develop a mentality to create a little more for others outside of the drive and kick on a consistent basis like he did against the kings and pick his spots to attack it will add a versatility to this team that will definitely make us tougher to defend as teams will not be able to just key in on parker and duncan and will have to seriously consider others and pick there poison. It will also shut me up. Props to him and i'm amazed at how he is adapting. If he keeps it up that will be big.

Duncan- nothing much to be said . He's tim. But i saw him clearing out for rj and even scanning and finding him on cuts. I really see a act of unselfishness going on and its great. He also found dyess for a good one. But this is usual tim but props tim.

Rj- when tim and tony has notably gave up touches and altered there usual routines slightly to get him involved he shows up big. Hope this continues. Im still on the rj wagon.

Ginobilli- finding a will through injuries to play big. Maybe he will get right at the right time and then once again silence his critics. But thats a big maybe with him. He played great though.

The rest of the crew- the usual suspects blair hill mase dyess bonner, getting in where they fit in. I hope it continues.

Only remaining issue- frontline d. Duncan is still the glue but i would really like another big. I still see us coming around if this type of play continues on offense and we go grab a big that plays big. Lol. My fantasy big next to tim. Marcus camby. He hustles gets offensive boards and discourages shots at the cup. And will give you a couple of buckets.i can at least dream right. :flag:
this

MarCowMar
12-11-2009, 11:08 AM
Unfortunately I couldn't watch the game yesterday (League Pass Online), but it was encouraging to see Parker get his assists up. He is a person who relishes a challenge and the oppportunity to grow. Pop is giving him control this season and he has the chance now to prove he is a true PG who can run an offense and dish out high assists.

I think he's always taken it personally when people comment on his relatively low assist numbers. He says it's the offense and not his skills that make for the low number. Let's see him take advantage of the addition of RJ and improve that assists number.

FromWayDowntown
12-11-2009, 11:31 AM
I'd like to see Parker be a playmaker more consistently over the course of the game -- he had 7 first quarter assists on Wednesday and then 4 in the last three quarters, when he really decided to attack more. Some of that is responsive to defensive adjustments, certainly, and Parker needs to attack when the defense tries to take-away his playmaking for others; but the mentality seemed to make the Spurs offense run more cohesively and helped them to find a lot of fairly easy points.

One observation that I walked away from the SAC game with was the difference that McDyess makes from the standpoint of matchups -- at least in that game. In the 2nd quarter, the Kings were dissecting the Spurs defense with a relatively small lineup (IIRC, Udrih, Evans, Greene, Casspi, and Thompson) that was simply more athletic than the group the Spurs put out on the floor and got a lot of easy points, got the ball into the middle frequently, and completely disrupted the Spurs' defense. Pop made a substitution in the midst of that to bring back Duncan AND McDyess together (for Bonner and Blair) and Westphal seemed to think he had to match big, immediately bringing Hawes back. The frenetic game the smaller Kings had been playing went by the wayside, the Spurs put together a run, and re-established a lead.

I think it will be interesting to watch how that dynamic plays out over the course of games, but in that moment, it suggested 2 things to me: (1) Pop isn't afraid now to counter smallball, in some instances at least, with Tall Ball; and (2) McDyess is a different breed of cat as a Duncan sidekick than what the Spurs have been playing with for a while now and I don't think too many teams will be comfortable countering Duncan/McDyess with a big and a long wing. Let's hope that's true, at least.

SpurNation
12-11-2009, 11:41 AM
The only way to get Camby as I see it if it were to be a thought the Spurs entertain is to give up McDyess and Mason.
http://www.realgm.com/src_checktrade.php?tradeid=5319751

How long would it take to incorporate Camby in this system and how willing both teams would be to make such a trade is another story.

As of now...the team is going to be mercifully dependent on the limitations age will impose upon both Duncan and McDyess throughout the course of the season.

FvckMavs
12-11-2009, 12:09 PM
The only way to get Camby as I see it if it were to be a thought the Spurs entertain is to give up McDyess and Mason.
http://www.realgm.com/src_checktrade.php?tradeid=5319751

How long would it take to incorporate Camby in this system and how willing both teams would be to make such a trade is another story.

As of now...the team is going to be mercifully dependent on the limitations age will impose upon both Duncan and McDyess throughout the course of the season.

Spurs won't trade Dyess to Clippers. It is simple to see why.

SpurNation
12-11-2009, 12:22 PM
Spurs won't trade Dyess to Clippers. It is simple to see why.

I wasn't saying the Spurs would trade. I was using salary reference to make it possible if it might be something legitimently discussed.