PDA

View Full Version : {ESPN} Strength of Schedule - Rockets have it the hardest

Double-Up
12-11-2009, 01:33 PM
It's a spreadsheet, doesn't copy and paste very well...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/stats/rpi?season=2010&sortColumn=sos

Culburn369
12-11-2009, 01:35 PM
Without Yao, you don't stand a chinaman's chance.

Dex
12-11-2009, 01:37 PM
Interesting stats.

Also interesting that San Antonio had the easiest schedule (according to this) of 200-2009 and finished 54-28, yet had the hardest schedule of 2007-2008 and finished 56-26.

Culburn369
12-11-2009, 01:38 PM
Without Manu your chances are a Briziallian to 1.

admiralsnackbar
12-11-2009, 01:49 PM
Without Yao, you don't stand a chinaman's chance.
Agreed. But then, one can't help but be impressed with Houston's heart this and last season. They've won me over a bit.

Kai
12-11-2009, 02:06 PM
I've had a blast watching the Rockets this season, because it just doesn't really bother me when we lose. In the past, it would ruin my day. We have no expectation, so we're playing with house money this season. Any win is a joy and a loss is no big deal.

TheMACHINE
12-11-2009, 02:09 PM
lakers #3 sos...didnt expect that.

alchemist
12-11-2009, 02:12 PM
sos doesn't mean shit when they don't calculate back-2-backs or injured players :toast

GuerillaBlack
12-11-2009, 02:15 PM
Lakers have probably had the easiest schedule to me. Isn't it like 16 games at home so far? Rockets have had nine. Plus, they've only had two back-to-back games. Rockets have had five.

picc84
12-11-2009, 02:18 PM
Lakers have had 3rd hardest schedule as far as strength of opposing team.

BRHornet45
12-11-2009, 02:26 PM
Hornets #4 sons

Xylus
12-11-2009, 02:30 PM
SOS takes into account the win percentage of the opponent, but not the amount of home and road games a team plays.

jacobdrj
12-11-2009, 02:31 PM
Detroit's schedule was brutal, so far, quality of opponents.

Only 18 more back to backs to go...

sook
12-11-2009, 03:05 PM
Not to mention we've only gotten blown out once in dallas and lost on the last posession 5 times, 3 of them by 1 point :(

lefty
12-11-2009, 03:10 PM
They have it the hardest, but where ?

sook
12-11-2009, 03:17 PM

lol i don't get that either. Not true imo

jonnybravo
12-11-2009, 03:28 PM
lol i don't get that either. Not true imo

Strength of schedule is independent of home court/b2b's.

The two games against Phoenix really ran up their SoS.

Makes perfect sense in that regard. Don't associate anymore to that stat than what it is.

NuGGeTs-FaN
12-11-2009, 03:33 PM
sos doesn't mean shit when they don't calculate back-2-backs or injured players :toast

exactly. Says the Nuggets have had the easiest but they have already played 7 sets of b2b games (4 sets of those have been b2b games on the road)

23LeBronJames23
12-11-2009, 05:39 PM
wow lakers 3. so far they had easiest schedule 2 me.

woah OKC 2nd and they ownin errybody

Allanon
12-11-2009, 07:10 PM
More than half of the Lakers games have been against current Playoff seeds. They've been at home but they've been playing Playoff teams. Prior to the last 5 cupcakes, the Lakers probably had 75% of their games against Playoff teams.

Last half of the season brings fewer home games but most of those home games will be against lower tier teams.

Jacob1983
12-12-2009, 03:30 AM
The Lakers have only played 4 road games so far. That right there proves that the NBA would not mind seeing them in the Finals again. They've played a total of 21 games and only 4 of them have been on the road. No fucking excuses for that.

iggypop123
12-12-2009, 03:31 AM
SOS just means some teams are good now but after the yr it might change cause they suck

Allanon
12-12-2009, 03:51 AM
The Lakers have only played 4 road games so far. That right there proves that the NBA would not mind seeing them in the Finals again. They've played a total of 21 games and only 4 of them have been on the road. No fucking excuses for that.

The Lakers/Clippers are the only teams that share an arena with another NBA team.

Staples has to schedule in

Lakers
Clippers
LA Kings Hockey/Kings Playoffs
Grammys
Icecapades or whatever they call it in January.
Plus the Pac 10 tournament.

It's like this home heavy early every year and it's no advantage when the Lakers have to go on 9 game road trips in January/February....I think they have the longest road trips every year.

The Lakers have only 4 home games in March while other teams get to build Playoff momentum.

So instead of getting rid of away games early in the season while teams are still learning, the Lakers have to go play teams that have gelled in THEIR arena with Playoffs around the corner.

HarlemHeat37
12-12-2009, 04:26 AM
They also get to build chemistry and momentum early on with a home-heavy schedule, which is very important in sports..that's the biggest advantage they can get, the heavy road schedule later on doesn't mean anything when they've already gelled as a team and built up a lot of momentum..

Lakers obviously get this advantage, just like they get every other advantage, there's no harm in accepting it..

Xylus
12-12-2009, 04:32 AM
The Lakers' SOS just dropped quite a bit after playing the TWolves tonight. They now have the 8th highest SOS.

chubster
12-12-2009, 09:41 AM
This Rockets team play with so much heart. If it were not for Mcgrady's drama, their fans would be the happiest fans in the league, despite of their win-loss record.

Respect.

Culburn369
12-12-2009, 10:18 AM
This Rockets team play with so much heart. If it were not for Mcgrady's drama, their fans would be the happiest fans in the league, despite of their win-loss record.

Respect.

Remember that Wafer guy though? :lol

chubster
12-12-2009, 11:09 AM
You mean Vujacic's fan club member #27? I heard he's going to Memphis.

Jacob1983
12-12-2009, 11:17 AM
I have no sympathy for the Lakers. And I'm pretty sure non Lakers agree. A lot of teams share arenas with NHL teams. That doesn't mean shit. The Mavs share the AAC with the Stars. And let's not forget that the AAC has concerts there too. The Lakers are the NBA's darlings right now. Plain and simple.

Donkeybong
12-12-2009, 11:49 AM
stat doesnt mean shit. just like per and hollingers power rankings

Culburn369
12-12-2009, 11:59 AM
stat doesnt mean shit. just like per and hollingers power rankings

Donkey, gettin' his precise on.

flamingdts
12-12-2009, 12:26 PM

Respect.

For the record, the Rockets win-loss record is pretty respectable. Having the hardest schedule in the league yet standing 5th in the west with over 40 million dollar on the bench.

Culburn369
12-12-2009, 12:41 PM
Yer adorable.^

Indazone
12-12-2009, 03:10 PM
If T-Mac comes back and can take Ariza's place, play like T-Mac of old, then the Rockets will be even better. Ariza needs to come off the bench. He's not a go to scorer.

mogrovejo
12-12-2009, 03:34 PM

Or home/road games.

iggypop123
12-12-2009, 04:17 PM
he will take shots away from landry. if he just plays defense in the second unit he is fine but his scoring makes him valuable. if he doesnt do it its not enough

sook
12-12-2009, 04:17 PM
If T-Mac comes back and can take Ariza's place, play like T-Mac of old, then the Rockets will be even better. Ariza needs to come off the bench. He's not a go to scorer.

yea and Madam Promfrey can give Yao some mending potion so he can play in tommorrow's game

Venti Quattro
12-12-2009, 04:19 PM
Now #8 because of Minnesota.

duncan228
12-14-2009, 05:39 PM
Adelman rips league for ‘ridiculous’ schedule (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-rockets-adelman&prov=ap&type=lgns)

Houston Rockets coach Rick Adelman criticized the NBA on Monday for setting up an “utterly ridiculous” schedule for his team that includes four back-to-back games over the next two weeks.

The Rockets face Detroit at home on Tuesday, then must fly to Denver to play the first-place Nuggets on Wednesday. They visit Dallas on Friday and return home to face Oklahoma City on Saturday—then have to play two games on consecutive nights twice more during Christmas week.

“We have a horrendous stretch here,” Adelman said. “I don’t know if the league really understands that they gave us four straight back-to-backs. It’s awful.”

Houston plays the Los Angeles Clippers at home on Dec. 22 and Orlando on the road on Dec. 23, followed by road games against New Jersey (Dec. 26) and Cleveland (Dec. 27).

“It’s utterly ridiculous,” Adelman said. “But that’s the schedule we have, it’s just the way it is and we’re just going to have to respond to it.”

Adelman said the schedule gives his team little time to practice, and even less time to spend with their families for the holiday.

“Every team should have a chance where they’re home a little bit,” he said. “We have no chance. This is the most ridiculous schedule I’ve ever seen.”

The Rockets are 5-0 in the second games of back-to-backs this season, but 1-4 in the first games. They have 10 road games in December, but by the All-Star break, they will have played 26 road games and 25 at home.

Culburn369
12-14-2009, 05:41 PM
Pop & Adelbrained showin' their asses.

sook
12-14-2009, 06:09 PM
Adelman rips league for ‘ridiculous’ schedule (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-rockets-adelman&prov=ap&type=lgns)

Houston Rockets coach Rick Adelman criticized the NBA on Monday for setting up an “utterly ridiculous” schedule for his team that includes four back-to-back games over the next two weeks.

The Rockets face Detroit at home on Tuesday, then must fly to Denver to play the first-place Nuggets on Wednesday. They visit Dallas on Friday and return home to face Oklahoma City on Saturday—then have to play two games on consecutive nights twice more during Christmas week.

“We have a horrendous stretch here,” Adelman said. “I don’t know if the league really understands that they gave us four straight back-to-backs. It’s awful.”

Houston plays the Los Angeles Clippers at home on Dec. 22 and Orlando on the road on Dec. 23, followed by road games against New Jersey (Dec. 26) and Cleveland (Dec. 27).

“It’s utterly ridiculous,” Adelman said. “But that’s the schedule we have, it’s just the way it is and we’re just going to have to respond to it.”

Adelman said the schedule gives his team little time to practice, and even less time to spend with their families for the holiday.

“Every team should have a chance where they’re home a little bit,” he said. “We have no chance. This is the most ridiculous schedule I’ve ever seen.”

The Rockets are 5-0 in the second games of back-to-backs this season, but 1-4 in the first games. They have 10 road games in December, but by the All-Star break, they will have played 26 road games and 25 at home.

we already had the hardest schedule to begine with but now 4 straight back to backs wtf :wow:wow:wow:wow:ihit

I like it though, mroe games to watch in fewer time but man...no nationally televised games and this....wtf is this league thinking. Stern is one brute ass motherfucker.

Xylus
12-14-2009, 06:10 PM
we already had the hardest schedule to begine with but now 4 straight back to backs wtf :wow:wow:wow:wow:ihit

I like it though, mroe games to watch in fewer time but man...no nationally televised games and this....wtf is this league thinking. Stern is one brute ass motherfucker.

Consider it a blessing in disguise. After this month is over, it's smooth sailing. The Suns are in a very similar situation, after playing 16 of their first 24 games on the road.

NuGGeTs-FaN
12-14-2009, 06:20 PM
nuggets had 3 straight road b2b games (6 games total) after playing the first 2 at home.

I am pretty sure Stern wants to give his baby team a nice home heavy schedule to start whilst he makes sure other contenders in the West get the shaft.

The NBA - where Stern and Kobe sex happens

sook
12-14-2009, 08:02 PM
Consider it a blessing in disguise. After this month is over, it's smooth sailing. The Suns are in a very similar situation, after playing 16 of their first 24 games on the road.

correction its 9 B2Bs in december alone!! :greedy :wow

Xylus
12-14-2009, 09:45 PM
correction its 9 B2Bs in december alone!! :greedy :wow

The Rockets have 5 B2B's in December. Which is still a lot...

flamingdts
12-15-2009, 05:16 AM
We have a ridiculous amount of back to backs, and the strength of schedule doesn't even take b2bs into account.

I guess that's what we get for being the underdogs, David Stern writing us off and putting us last in everything.

Culburn369
12-15-2009, 05:46 AM
Just stay humble & hungry, like the Suns.