PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Spurs' McDyess rebounds to avert meltdown

duncan228
12-12-2009, 12:57 AM
Spurs' McDyess rebounds to avert meltdown (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_McDyess_rebounds_to_avert_meltdown.html)
Mike Monroe

Antonio McDyess had already seen a turnover-filled, third-quarter meltdown by the Spurs once this week. He didn't like where it led.

Determined to prevent another winnable game from becoming the second haunting loss of the week, the veteran center was a key contributor in a 13-2 Spurs run in the first 4:40 of the fourth quarter that got them past the Charlotte Bobcats.

Ten third-quarter turnovers had turned the tempo of the game before McDyess helped Tim Duncan restore order. Duncan scored the first six points of the period for the Spurs. McDyess had four rebounds in the decisive stretch, two of them leading to baskets after Spurs misses.

“I was just trying to put my will on the game and do what I could to get another possession,” he said. “We were so out of rhythm at that point.”

McDyess flashed back to Monday night in Utah, when the Jazz outscored the Spurs, 37-19, and a fourth-quarter Spurs comeback came up short.

“That was hard to see,” he said. “You do things great in the first half, then come out so flat in the second half, and then you can't get the lead back. Tonight, we did, and hopefully things will turn around soon.

“At least we're doing a good job of taking the hit and coming back and winning the game, but against better teams it's going to be hard to do that. We've got to concentrate on what we're doing, focus more and, hopefully, things will get better.”

Franchise of the Decade: With the first decade of the 21st century coming to an end, Forbes magazine, which annually lists the franchise values of North America's four major professional sports, selected the Spurs as the Franchise of the Decade.

Included in the ranking were all franchises in the NBA, NFL, NHL and Major League Baseball.

Forbes considered both on-field performance and financial valuation growth since 2000. Forbes estimates the Spurs' current value at $415 million, an increase over the decade of 146 percent.

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich, who doubles as president of basketball operations, was unaware of the Forbes honor but flattered to learn about it.

“It's something the entire organization can take satisfaction in,” he said. “It doesn't happen without a lot of good people, and definitely a lot of good fortune, which we certainly have had.”

HarlemHeat37
12-12-2009, 01:01 AM
McDyess was huge tonight, he seemed to grab every board when we needed the momentum back in the 4th..

peskypesky
12-12-2009, 02:25 AM
major pops to Dice tonight. he looked like a man amongst boys for a while out there.

Chieflion
12-12-2009, 02:27 AM
I agree. He manned up and grabbed some rebounds, hustle and played some defense. Just what we need from all of the Spurs bigs.

BoricuaCJA
12-12-2009, 02:38 AM
He was good tonight, I just want to see him be as good against top teams.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
12-12-2009, 02:57 AM
That 4th quarter from Dice is the sort of thing I expect from him more and more as the season wears on. He looked like a Piston again.

SCdac
12-12-2009, 05:09 AM
I'm kind of surprised and not surprised by the playing time that McDyess is receiving thus far, like only 15 minutes against Utah when Boozer went off. On one hand, he's older (we don't want to burn him out) and he has to earn his ranks on the Spurs like any other player (being pulled for bad defense, etc), but on the other hand, he's a tier above any big man we have not named Duncan and has a history of being a reliable player/rebounder. Nice to see he's starting to get credit for putting his imprint on games, ending a turnover spree and a horrible quarter none the less. He's gotten the last 10 starts rightfully, here's to hoping he gets consistent minutes in the 4th too.

Spurs Brazil
12-12-2009, 08:11 AM
Dice did a great jo and was key to thr 4th quarter run

Bogans also played a solid game. I think Pop decision to give Bogans more minutes and sit Mason was the right one

urunobili
12-12-2009, 08:29 AM
I love Dice!

TinTin
12-12-2009, 09:18 AM
Oh man imagine what this guy would have been like before his knee gave

Dice
12-12-2009, 10:20 AM
I thought he played great. I was really happy with his defense this game and when he's rebounding like this it shows why the Spurs wanted him.

I'd like to see him get a couple more shots a night though.

wildbill2u
12-12-2009, 10:31 AM
Sometimes it feels like these guys don't have the intensity a championship team with a deep bench needs to play with night after night. There is no killer instinct, just a bunch of guys out there playing.

Maybe they sub-consciously think they are better and don't try as hard. Pop better get them focused like the 1999 club. That team was focused. Even when behind in the 4th you somehow had the feeling that they would pull it out every time.

exstatic
12-12-2009, 10:39 AM
He was good tonight, I just want to see him be as good against top teams.

He was getting some shitty fouls called on him for good defense against BOS and UTH.

EricB
12-12-2009, 11:26 AM
For some reason everyone thinks the spurs were blown out in these games vs the good teams when really two of the three games were pretty much blown by turnovers. Not bad defense or rebounding.

angelbelow
12-12-2009, 02:49 PM
Dice was great on the offense board tonight. Very encouraging effort tonight.

Spursfan092120
12-12-2009, 03:03 PM
He reminded me of this guy...

http://nbcsportsmedia4.msnbc.com/j/msnbc/Components/ArtAndPhoto-Fronts/COVER/080526/g-cvr-080526-pistons-9p.h2.jpg