PDA

View Full Version : Jon Stewart rips into Glenn Beck for gold market manipulation

Cry Havoc
12-12-2009, 04:40 AM
http://www.indecisionforever.com/2009/12/11/is-glenn-beck-manipulating-the-gold-market/

Amazing.

The Daily Show is probably the best news show in the last 15 years.

J.T.
12-12-2009, 04:43 AM
The Daily Show is probably the best news show in the last 15 years.

Fuckin' A

Winehole23
12-12-2009, 05:09 AM
The fake news analysis beats the real news analysis, hands down. It's a sad fact.

Yonivore
12-12-2009, 08:06 AM
The fake news analysis beats the real news analysis, hands down. It's a sad fact.
That's more of a statement about how you consume news than it is about news outlets. Stewart, unless I've missed his journalistic exploits, gets his news the place the rest of us do. His "analysis" is as much colored by his partisan ideology as are the rest of us.

A couple of recent examples:

He made hay of the climategate scandal yet, still apparently believes in Anthropogenic Climate Change nonsense.

He supported his BDS view of the Bush Administration by backing himself into a corner and calling Harry Truman a war criminal -- because, that was the only way his criticism stood -- only to be taken to school by real historians on the matter.

Stewart is funny -- like Jay Leno is funny -- but, if you take his "analysis" seriously, you're a fool.

SouthernFried
12-12-2009, 08:33 AM
The title of this post says everything...anyone who think Beck can manipulate the gold market...

would be the kind of idiot who would get his news from Stewart and then post the stupidity in a political forum, thinking it was pure brilliance.

I mean really, if you don't know shit about the gold market...why would you post something so stupid?

EmptyMan
12-12-2009, 09:11 AM
Jesus Christ. Please refer to the other Beck manipulates gold market.

You all are crazy stupid if you think it is Beck's actions that are manipulating the freaking gold market. :bang Seriously, c'mon guys.

Cry Havoc
12-12-2009, 10:29 AM
The title of this post says everything...anyone who think Beck can manipulate the gold market...

would be the kind of idiot who would get his news from Stewart and then post the stupidity in a political forum, thinking it was pure brilliance.

I mean really, if you don't know shit about the gold market...why would you post something so stupid?

Yes. Jon Stewart is stupid.

How many Emmy awards do you have riding around in your back pocket? How many peabody awards?

Jesus Christ. Please refer to the other Beck manipulates gold market.

You all are crazy stupid if you think it is Beck's actions that are manipulating the freaking gold market. :bang Seriously, c'mon guys.

I'm guessing it was partly tongue in cheek, but the reality is that Fox news has a ton of viewership. Even if Beck didn't actually affect the gold market, the fact remains that he was trying his damnedest to, which is absolutely illegal.

Also, I'm not sure you should be tossing out insults when you lead in with a line like, "Please refer to the other Beck manipulates the gold market." You might want to make sense before you accuse others of being stupid there, chief.

jack sommerset
12-12-2009, 10:54 AM
Yes. Jon Stewart is stupid.

How many Emmy awards do you have riding around in your back pocket? How many peabody awards?

HAHAHA Best dumbass post in a few weeks from you!!! Emmy equals you are smart!!!!!!!!! I really doubt anyone takes you serious in your life.

I'm guessing it was partly tongue in cheek, but the reality is that Fox news has a ton of viewership. Even if Beck didn't actually affect the gold market, the fact remains that he was trying his damnedest to, which is absolutely illegal.

Lets arrest Jordan for pimping gatorade! :lol You really are fucking dumb!

Also, I'm not sure you should be tossing out insults when you lead in with a line like, "Please refer to the other Beck manipulates the gold market." You might want to make sense before you accuse others of being stupid there, chief.

Son, you are stupid!:lol

EmptyMan
12-12-2009, 12:19 PM

This is the second or third Beck Gold Market thread and I didn't feel like copying my ownage from the last one.

symple19
12-12-2009, 02:04 PM

Uhhhh. Although Stewart does expose some things, or rather highlight some things that others miss, it's still a comedy show that heavily relies on editing stuff so that their brilliant writers can twist it into something funny. To call it news makes me cringe. The really sad thing is that it's the only source of "news" for 2/3 of people under 35. If Stewart went after the dems 1/10th as much as he crushes the right, I might watch it. It's, quite simply, more biased programming for people with short attention spans. Writing is excellent though, as it is on the Colbert Report as well

spursncowboys
12-12-2009, 02:38 PM
3rd op of this same topic and counting.

George Gervin's Afro
12-12-2009, 03:43 PM
That's more of a statement about how you consume news than it is about news outlets. Stewart, unless I've missed his journalistic exploits, gets his news the place the rest of us do. His "analysis" is as much colored by his partisan ideology as are the rest of us.

He made hay of the climategate scandal yet, still apparently believes in Anthropogenic Climate Change nonsense.

He supported his BDS view of the Bush Administration by backing himself into a corner and calling Harry Truman a war criminal -- because, that was the only way his criticism stood -- only to be taken to school by real historians on the matter.

Stewart is funny -- like Jay Leno is funny -- but, if you take his "analysis" seriously, you're a fool.

ditto for fox news

George Gervin's Afro
12-12-2009, 03:45 PM

everytime i think of idiots i think of those who stick by the claim the fox news is fair and balanced

spursncowboys
12-12-2009, 03:45 PM
everytime i think of idiots i think of those who stick by the claim the fox news is fair and balanced

I think of you

Cant_Be_Faded
12-12-2009, 03:50 PM

So Glen Beck does or doesn't thrive on fear and constantly pimp gold? His radio show does or doesn't have constant commercials about buying Gold and Gold IRAs?

spursncowboys
12-12-2009, 03:56 PM
So Glen Beck does or doesn't thrive on fear and constantly pimp gold? His radio show does or doesn't have constant commercials about buying Gold and Gold IRAs?

This is not an issue though. He buys gold and a gold co. pays him for advertisement.
What is really unethical is GM selling green in all their shows and having huge investments in "green" lightbulbs and air-power generators.

ChumpDumper
12-12-2009, 04:13 PM
This is not an issue though.Yes, it's an issue.

ChumpDumper
12-12-2009, 04:14 PM
3rd op of this same topic and counting.Are you keeping track of DarrinS's climate change threads, too?

Or is that number not an issue to you?

spursncowboys
12-12-2009, 04:24 PM
Are you keeping track of DarrinS's climate change threads, too?

Or is that number not an issue to you?

It's not the same climate change situation or article is it?

ChumpDumper
12-12-2009, 04:26 PM
It's not the same climate change situation or article is it?Absolutely the same situation. He even makes unrelated threads he starts like the swine flu one about climate change.

Did you keep track of them?

spursncowboys
12-12-2009, 04:38 PM
Absolutely the same situation. He even makes unrelated threads he starts like the swine flu one about climate change.

Did you keep track of them?
Three times the same topic was made into an OP. That is why I counted. No just like I don't keep track of supergirl making "redefine what marriage is" threads, I don't care about same topic posts.

SouthernFried
12-12-2009, 08:27 PM
If anyone...anyone thinks that Glen beck is talking down the economy to manipulate the gold market. If anyone actually thinks that Glen beck has the power to manipulate gold prices with his talk show, and does so to make money off his gold investments or advertising...

...would be the dumbest moron not on TV.

Stewart wins that one...cuz he actually believes it. The lesser idiots just post what he says.

"Gold is going up, Bad economy causes gold to go up. Beck is talking the economy down and causing the economy to suffer...so he's benefitting from the resulting rise in gold prices cuz of his talk."

Wins the award for the dumbest thought process this side of the maginot line.

How can you honestly debate people who actually think and believe idiocy like this?

Who have no idea why the economy is really going down, and no clue about how gold markets work...making declarative statements that a talk show host is somehow to blame and getting rich for help causing it to happen.

Fucking amazing. The dumbing down of America is now complete.

jack sommerset
12-12-2009, 08:38 PM
If anyone...anyone thinks that Glen beck is talking down the economy to manipulate the gold market. If anyone actually thinks that Glen beck has the power to manipulate gold prices with his talk show, and does so to make money off his gold investments or advertising...

...would be the dumbest moron not on TV.

Stewart wins that one...cuz he actually believes it. The lesser idiots just post what he says.

"Gold is going up, Bad economy causes gold to go up. Beck is talking the economy down and causing the economy to suffer...so he's benefitting from the resulting rise in gold prices cuz of his talk."

Wins the award for the dumbest thought process this side of the maginot line.

How can you honestly debate people who actually think and believe idiocy like this?

Who have no idea why the economy is really going down, and no clue about how gold markets work...making declarative statements that a talk show host is somehow to blame and getting rich for help causing it to happen.

Fucking amazing. The dumbing down of America is now complete.

But Stewart won an Emmy!?!?

Viva Las Espuelas
12-12-2009, 08:44 PM
CH's beck obsession continues.....................

and since when are endorsements bad. does times square upset you, havoc?

no need to answer.
:jack

Viva Las Espuelas
12-12-2009, 08:48 PM
This is not an issue though. He buys gold and a gold co. pays him for advertisement.
What is really unethical is GM selling green in all their shows and having huge investments in "green" lightbulbs and air-power generators.
jeffrey immelt

Viva Las Espuelas
12-12-2009, 08:49 PM
HAHAHA Best dumbass post in a few weeks from you!!! Emmy equals you are smart!!!!!!!!! I really doubt anyone takes you serious in your life.

:lmao

rosie o'donnell won multiple emmys

:lmao

Supergirl
12-13-2009, 12:36 AM

Apparently, Glenn Beck does.

Did you actually watch the clip? THAT'S THE WHOLE POINT - Beck is a spokesperson and profiteer for an industry that historically goes up in times of panic and fear, which (not) coincidentally is exactly what Beck does best.

Cry Havoc
12-13-2009, 12:58 AM
Lets arrest Jordan for pimping gatorade! :lol You really are fucking dumb!

The fact that you would draw a comparison between market manipulation and an athlete who promotes a sports beverage is incredible. Wow.

jack sommerset
12-13-2009, 01:56 AM
The fact that you would draw a comparison between market manipulation and an athlete who promotes a sports beverage is incredible. Wow.

Thank you for the thread. Thank you for your opinion.

Winehole23
12-13-2009, 02:06 AM
Uhhhh. Although Stewart does expose some things, or rather highlight some things that others miss, it's still a comedy show that heavily relies on editing stuff so that their brilliant writers can twist it into something funny. To call it news makes me cringe. You're right, it's meta-news. Still, I'd rather watch it than all the crappy cable news the Daily Report condenses for me, in pill form.

The really sad thing is that it's the only source of "news" for 2/3 of people under 35. If Stewart went after the dems 1/10th as much as he crushes the right, I might watch it. It's, quite simply, more biased programming for people with short attention spans. Writing is excellent though, as it is on the Colbert Report as wellWino more favors reading, and is growing ever more skeptical of the value of news... sports reporting and the funny papers naturally excepted. Wino doesn't wanna watch all that crappy TV.

Alex Jones
12-13-2009, 02:47 AM
I think the point is being missed. To me it's more of a conflict of interest.

If your on Tv doing,news,sports,or a reality show your not supposed to pimp out products you use or the station advertises. Especially if the show is named after you.
Unless Glenn Beck told everyone....
"Hi folks! welcome to the Glenn Beck show sponsored by Gold.inc"

If not, then he is being deceitful. After all the The Alamo dome calls the bowl games..."Doritos bowl" or "the Gator-aid bowl" They don't hide the fact what they are promoting.

Glenn Beck by having the viewers expose him makes people wonder what other agendas he has. Is he being honest about covering your home with foil to save it from radiation if he is getting paid by Reynold's wrap?

When was the last time you saw someone on a tv show say "would you pass me the land ol Lakes butter please" And land O lakes has a commercial on that station?

I can only imagine if Barack Obama
had all his plumbing done by Joe The Plumber and always talks about how he is the perfect example of the hard working American's we have in this country, and uses him as a prop when going from town to town,.....I can only imagine how this forum would react.

Glenn Beck got sloppy and he got busted just like he did when he faked his tears or his crying photo shoot. By the way the film they used that day was by Kodak and his wife's father is VP of the company.

mogrovejo
12-13-2009, 01:06 PM
I'm guessing it was partly tongue in cheek, but the reality is that Fox news has a ton of viewership. Even if Beck didn't actually affect the gold market, the fact remains that he was trying his damnedest to, which is absolutely illegal

Really? Accordingly to which law?

mogrovejo
12-13-2009, 01:08 PM
Apparently, Glenn Beck does.

Did you actually watch the clip? THAT'S THE WHOLE POINT - Beck is a spokesperson and profiteer for an industry that historically goes up in times of panic and fear, which (not) coincidentally is exactly what Beck does best.

Strange theory. In that case anybody who assesses the economic situation optimistically/pessimistically in a public forum and makes financial investments is manipulating markets.

angrydude
12-13-2009, 04:45 PM
so let me get this straight, the central bank of india bought up all that gold because of :rollinglen beck?

symple19
12-13-2009, 04:51 PM
Wino more favors reading, and is growing ever more skeptical of the value of news... sports reporting and the funny papers naturally excepted. Wino doesn't wanna watch all that crappy TV.

I refuse to watch any of the News channels, unless there's something big breaking. Reading, IMO, is always a better bet, and thank goodness for the internet

WH23, the Ricky Henderson of the political forum. :toast

Supergirl
12-13-2009, 04:52 PM
I refuse to watch any of the News channels, unless there's something big breaking. Reading, IMO, is always a better bet, and thank goodness for the internet

WH23, the Ricky Henderson of the political forum. :toast

Get your news from NPR instead. It's the closest thing to fair and balanced coverage that this country has.

symple19
12-13-2009, 04:53 PM
G. Gordon Liddy and MC Hammer are also pimping gold. Fine company Mr. Beck has put himself in. I smell a concert.

symple19
12-13-2009, 04:55 PM
Get your news from NPR instead. It's the closest thing to fair and balanced coverage that this country has.

I will watch Newshour from time to time. I like the fact that it's devoid of all the stupid graphics and tickers other channels find necessary.

spursncowboys
12-13-2009, 05:09 PM
Stewart attacked Cramer for his over the top stock picks. If he is looking for the culprit for why our dollar is depreciating, he needs to look at his boy barry.

spursncowboys
12-13-2009, 05:15 PM

:lol
Who's not a screaming liberal on npr?

Winehole23
12-13-2009, 06:11 PM
WH23, the Ricky Henderson of the political forum. :toastThat's about the nicest thing anybody ever said to me here. :king

Winehole23
12-13-2009, 06:17 PM
Who's not a screaming liberal on npr?NPR held out longest in the not referring to it as torture sweepstakes. For awhile, NPR taught the controversy, not the scandal. Their ombudsman defended the usage in the face of withering internet flames, long after other news outlets noticed that the facts had overrun the controversy.

I would think you should commend them for that, SnC.

spursncowboys
12-13-2009, 06:39 PM
They are a quasi-govt. owned radio show that can make programming w/o worrying about profits. Bill Moyer gets to pocket his book sales but has a tv show that can lose a profit year end and year out and still be able to stay on tv. Also if I remember correctly Moyer was the first to call it torture. I may be wrong. Point is NPR is not fair and balanced and is not even a medium.

Winehole23
12-13-2009, 11:27 PM
They are a quasi-govt. owned radio show that can make programming w/o worrying about profits. Bill Moyer gets to pocket his book sales but has a tv show that can lose a profit year end and year out and still be able to stay on tv. Also if I remember correctly Moyer was the first to call it torture. I may be wrong. Point is NPR is not fair and balanced and is not even a medium.Moyer is a PBS scion. A slightly different animal, IMO.

Cry Havoc
12-14-2009, 12:09 AM
Point is NPR is not fair and balanced and is not even a medium.

Certainly not as fair and balanced as the wonderful reporters over at Fox news.

Winehole23
12-14-2009, 02:49 AM
SnC is the last person who made a PBS post here. Something from Frontline, I think. Must have suited his mood somehow.

Winehole23
12-14-2009, 02:54 AM
Here it is:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl...gthebank/view/ (http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/breakingthebank/view/)

Great episode...http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141614&highlight=frontline

smeagol
12-14-2009, 06:58 PM
I'm assuming everybody in this thread is aware GB cannot manupilate the price of gold. No matter how stupid or unethical his "act" is.

The real question is: does HE thinks he can affect the market with his comments? The guy appears to be so dumb he might really think he is doing Goldline a favor by being so melodramatic about the economic and political situation . . .

spursncowboys
12-14-2009, 07:03 PM
SnC is the last person who made a PBS post here. Something from Frontline, I think. Must have suited his mood somehow.
I also like Sesame Street for my kids, but what does that have to do with NPR being a biased news group?
Govt. should not be in the business of funding unpopular political sentiment. NPR does just that.

Winehole23
12-14-2009, 07:50 PM
I also like Sesame Street for my kids, but what does that have to do with NPR being a biased news group?Nothing. Apparently, you're not above relying on this "biased news group" yourself, is all. Good to know we can run PBS and NPR both into the same ditch.

I noticed that you did not attack yourself for relying upon the biased, unreliable reporting of Frontline, so I can only assume that it retains at least a particle of credibility with you. Your post was like five days ago. Singing out NPR for bias in this context seemed like a non sequitur to me.

spursncowboys
12-14-2009, 08:20 PM
Nothing. Apparently, you're not above relying on this "biased news group" yourself, is all. Good to know we can run PBS and NPR both into the same ditch.

I noticed that you did not attack yourself for relying upon the biased, unreliable reporting of Frontline, so I can only assume that it retains at least a particle of credibility with you. Your post was like five days ago. Singing out NPR for bias in this context seemed like a non sequitur to me.

You are assuming I relied on Frontline. Jackass.
In your quest to post moronic stuff, you should try and make sense.

Winehole23
12-14-2009, 10:03 PM
double post

Winehole23
12-14-2009, 10:08 PM
WTF are you talking about, SnC? You gave Frontline a rave barely five days ago.

Great episode

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141614&highlight=frontline

Bartleby
12-14-2009, 10:18 PM
Who's not a screaming liberal on npr?

Mara Liasson and Juan Williams?

spursncowboys
12-14-2009, 11:27 PM
Mara Liasson and Juan Williams?

good point but they are the democrat pov on the fox news shows.