PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Spurs relish upcoming road trip

duncan228
12-12-2009, 11:45 PM
Spurs relish upcoming road trip (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/Spurs_relish_upcoming_road_trip.html)
Jeff McDonald

LOS ANGELES — For the first time this season when packing for a road trip, the Spurs finally had to break out their big suitcases.

The three-game trip that begins tonight against the Clippers, before taking the Spurs to Phoenix and Golden State, is the Spurs' longest of the season so far. It is their first multi-city road trip since a back-to-back at Utah and Portland on Nov. 5-6.

The Spurs have not exactly thrived on the road this season, going 1-5. They have yet to win a game outside the state. Still, players said after Friday's 104-85 victory over Charlotte they are looking forward to their latest trek.

With nearly half the roster new to the team this season, the Spurs are hoping to use their first extended road trip of the season as a bonding experience.

“It's something that keeps the team together, and we need it, because we need to get to know the new guys better,” Manu Ginobili said. “So we're going to have some meals, talk and get to know one another better. It's going to be important.”

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich agrees.

“It's a lot more conducive to that, because we only have ourselves to deal with,” Popovich said. “There are no family or friends around. We're stuck with each other. Since we're so unfamiliar with each other, this would be a good way to learn a bit more.”

Pass-first Parker: Long regarded as one of the top scoring point guards in the NBA, Tony Parker is making an effort of late to be a facilitator first.

In his past two games, Parker has logged 21 assists, recording his first two double-digit outings of the season. In Friday's win over Charlotte, Parker had seven assists and no field goals at halftime.

He finished with nine points and 10 assists, while attempting just seven shots, and didn't make his first field goal until 6:55 left in the game.

Popovich said Parker's recent passing fancy has more to do with how teams are defending the Spurs, and hasn't resulted from any specific order from the coaching staff.

“That's just how things have unfolded,” Popovich said.

Manu's 20-20: After surpassing 20 points just once in his first 13 games, Ginobili has now accomplished that feat twice in a row.

After scoring 22 against Charlotte, Ginobili — who had his return from offseason ankle surgery interrupted by a groin strain in November — says he is finally beginning to feel healthy and confident.

“Hopefully, I can keep building from here,” he said.

murpjf88
12-12-2009, 11:52 PM
Should take at leat two of those games. It would be good to finally win some road games.

Interrohater
12-13-2009, 12:20 AM
Wouldn't that be great if we won all three? What a confidence boost that would be. I'd love to see a big defensive outing in Phoenix, like 92-87 Spurs.

ducks
12-13-2009, 12:53 AM
Popovich said Parker's recent passing fancy has more to do with how teams are defending the Spurs, and hasn't resulted from any specific order from the coaching staff.

DPG21920
12-13-2009, 01:00 AM

So then it is not because Pop is asking TP to do it like you have been saying?

VI_Massive
12-13-2009, 01:06 AM
So then it is not because Pop is asking TP to do it like you have been saying?

I think its kind of a "natural" evolution of having more scorers on the team. This includes a healthy Tim and Manu which weren't present for most of last year. Combine that with RJ, and I think TP probably feels a natural pressure, or just inclination to get these other guys the ball.

Cry Havoc
12-13-2009, 01:17 AM
:lmao at all the Spurs fans thinking that scoring the most PPG is a part of Parker's ego, and yet Pop apparently hasn't said a word to Tony about passing more.

ffadicted
12-13-2009, 01:19 AM
We'll go 3 - 0, I have foreseen it. Book it, and bump when it happens

Interrohater
12-13-2009, 01:27 AM
I think its kind of a "natural" evolution of having more scorers on the team. This includes a healthy Tim and Manu which weren't present for most of last year. Combine that with RJ, and I think TP probably feels a natural pressure, or just inclination to get these other guys the ball.

+1
It's not really so simple as "Coach says to do this..." or that he has an ego problem. He's the leader of the team and just as he realized last year that he needed to be the main facilitator of the offense, he's starting to see that it's more beneficial to the team to get the other guys involved. Mainly because there's more talent this time around.

honestfool84
12-13-2009, 01:27 AM
i can't wait to hand phoenix their first home loss of the season.

crc21209
12-13-2009, 01:41 AM

That would be AWESOME. :tu

boutons_deux
12-13-2009, 05:33 AM
These confused, sloppy, screwed-up, discombobulated, defenseless, 3rd-quarter-no-show Spurs beating the fired-up Suns in the Suns' house?

Not much of a chance, but it sure would mess with the Suns heads.

mytespurs
12-13-2009, 11:47 AM
I can only hope that this road trip goes successfully.....i'm not feeling too sure right now. :downspin:

TimmehC
12-13-2009, 12:57 PM

I'll be at that game, so it would be very, very sweet if that happens. :toast

phxspurfan
12-13-2009, 01:52 PM
Hopefully they can mustard the effort to ketchup with the rest of the west. Because they're in quite a pickle.

Gutter92
12-13-2009, 02:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQ0LfjZswu8

:king

lefty
12-13-2009, 03:06 PM
If Spurs relish road trips, Grizzilies usually don't Mayo theirs.

O.J Mayo
12-13-2009, 08:05 PM
If Spurs relish road trips, Grizzilies usually don't Mayo theirs.
lefty, you called? I will do Spurs fans a disservice when I put up 40 points against you. Beware of the Mayo.

The Truth #6
12-13-2009, 08:17 PM
It seems odd Pop would say he isn't giving any feedback to Parker. He must be too busy with more important issues of deciding Bogans' minutes...

Right.

HarlemHeat37
12-13-2009, 08:46 PM
I'll give Pop a break right now, he probably has a lot of stress with Finley's injury..that's probably taking up all his attention..

Manu-of-steel
12-14-2009, 12:15 AM
i'll give pop a break right now, he probably has a lot of stress with finley's injury..that's probably taking up all his attention..

lol

ducks
12-14-2009, 12:21 AM
13 turnovers
keep that number their they will beat suns and gs

it's me
12-14-2009, 12:24 AM
13 turnovers
keep that number their they will beat suns and gs

For that to be possible Tony should sit the entire 4th....

LOL

ducks
12-14-2009, 12:29 AM
duncan had 3 had he played as many minutes as tp he would have gotten more turnovers then tp

DPG21920
12-14-2009, 12:55 AM
duncan had 3 had he played as many minutes as tp he would have gotten more turnovers then tp

Link?