PDA

View Full Version : Is 2009 Season just a replay of 2003?

Tom The Spurs Dude
12-12-2009, 11:47 PM
For some reason this season has started to remind me alot of the 02-03 season. That year the Spurs season was spriling out of control, and it looked as if the Spurs had no control of it. Then wala they are the NBA Champions in June!!! lol So are all the TO's and all this boo boo play just a replay of 2003? What do you guys think? let me know.

Interrohater
12-13-2009, 12:12 AM
First I want to know what a boo boo play is.

I think this team definitely has a load of talent, just as much as in 2003. However, the rest of the league does too, so if the Spurs do go deep in the playoffs, it's won't be an easy run. They keep teasing us with glimpses of the dominance all of these guys can bring when they're clicking. Now can they get it together in a couple of short months in order to win it all? Who knows. The path is harder because even if the Spurs do peak in March and April, the other teams should be peaking as well.

I still believe though.

HarlemHeat37
12-13-2009, 12:28 AM
the NBA is a superstar league..it's very rare that you win without a top player..

in 2003 we had the best player in the entire league, a guy that was also arguably the best defensive anchor in the NBA at the same time..a lot easier to win when there's a guy like that on your team..

the crimson blur
12-13-2009, 12:30 AM
First I want to know what a boo boo play is.

I think this team definitely has a load of talent, just as much as in 2003. However, the rest of the league does too, so if the Spurs do go deep in the playoffs, it's won't be an easy run. They keep teasing us with glimpses of the dominance all of these guys can bring when they're clicking. Now can they get it together in a couple of short months in order to win it all? Who knows. The path is harder because even if the Spurs do peak in March and April, the other teams should be peaking as well.

I still believe though.

2003 was a stupid hard run too. An offensively loaded Suns team, Shaq-Kobe Lakers, Nash-Dirk Mavs, a great (and underrated) Kidd lead Nets team.

I like all of these similarities :D

mookie2001
12-13-2009, 12:32 AM
no

TimDunkem
12-13-2009, 12:34 AM

ElNono
12-13-2009, 12:35 AM
We had David Robinson too... in the twilight of his career, but still an imposing figure on both ends...

ynh
12-13-2009, 01:29 AM
I would say no to the topic question.. just for the fact that whomever is coming out of the east isn't going to be as craptastic as the New Jersey Nets.

gospursgojas
12-13-2009, 02:10 AM

Injuries and old

And matt bonner :lol

LOL@MavsFan
12-13-2009, 02:49 AM
[quote=Tom The Spurs Dude;3912617]For some reason this season has started to remind me alot of the 02-03 season. That year the Spurs season was spriling out of control, and it looked as if the Spurs had no control of it. Then wala they are the NBA Champions in June!!! lol So are all the TO's and all this boo boo play just a replay of 2003? What do you guys think? let me know.[/

we can only hope:toast

LOL@MavsFan
12-13-2009, 02:53 AM
We had David Robinson too... in the twilight of his career, but still an imposing figure on both ends...

Theo Ratliff = D Rob in 02-03 hahahahaahhaha :lol

Chieflion
12-13-2009, 03:53 AM
In 2003, we had a bunch of young guys. Tony, Manu, Jax, Rose, Claxton on the Spurs. The Spurs had some old guys like D-Rob and Willis too.

However, in 2009, we only have Hill and Blair as our young guys and a bunch of old guys. I am inclined to believe that the quick burst to the championship after the slow start was due to the internal development of the young players on the Spurs. Now, only Hill and Blair can be expected to improve significantly during the season.

angelbelow
12-13-2009, 06:12 PM
Im still supremely confident that we can win it all this year because I think we have the talent and potential. However, we have a shit load of work to do.. we are light years behind most contenders right now and I hope we can pull it together by April.

21_Blessings
12-13-2009, 06:15 PM
Spurs were deep and played elite defense in 2003; the Lakers were top heavy with a declining/old/ineffective bench.

So no.

Actually, if anything, the 09 Lakers are closer to the 03 Spurs than 09 Spurs (which look like a much worse version of the 03 Lakers). Sorry guys!

Spursfan 87
12-13-2009, 06:27 PM
It all depends on RJ, lets see if he can play the role of Stephen Jackson.

but yeah the 2 teams are very similar

Bonner - D.Ferry
G.Hill - Claxton
Finley - S.Smith
Theo - Willis
Blair - M.Rose
Mason - Kerr

Flux451
12-13-2009, 06:31 PM
In 2003, we had a bunch of young guys. Tony, Manu, Jax, Rose, Claxton on the Spurs. The Spurs had some old guys like D-Rob and Willis too.

However, in 2009, we only have Hill and Blair as our young guys and a bunch of old guys. I am inclined to believe that the quick burst to the championship after the slow start was due to the internal development of the young players on the Spurs. Now, only Hill and Blair can be expected to improve significantly during the season.

So that means we should be able to build a simliar run but quicker since we have more experienced players now.

objective
12-13-2009, 07:18 PM
Spurs win nothing in 2003 if Steve Smith doesn't get hurt freeing playing time for Stephen Jackson. Otherwise Jackson would have been exactly where he was in 2002: on the injured list with fake tendonitis rotting in street clothes.

Kamnik
12-13-2009, 07:24 PM
the NBA is a superstar league..it's very rare that you win without a top player..

Detroit Pistons

HarlemHeat37
12-13-2009, 07:45 PM
Detroit Pistons

did you miss the part where I wrote "very rare"?..