PDA

View Full Version : Parker starting to play like a true point guard

superfedja
12-13-2009, 09:52 PM
Wow! Our offense has been amazing since Parker started playing more like a true point guard (these past 2 games + the start of tonight's game). If he starts passing the ball, with his penetration capabilities and our ball mouvement, we will be scary good !

What do you guys think ?

Rummpd
12-13-2009, 10:09 PM
yes of course - Parker is a stud period.

L.I.T
12-13-2009, 10:10 PM
Parker wasn't a point guard before?

honestfool84
12-13-2009, 10:21 PM
i think i'm liking this version of Parker better..

whatever it takes to win, that's what Parker needs to do. i'm glad he's realizing that (it seems).

Solid D
12-13-2009, 10:35 PM
it was good..while it lasted.

superjames1992
12-13-2009, 10:39 PM
This thread jinxed Parker, I think. He's returned to his turnover-machine and selfish ways now. :(

HarlemHeat37
12-13-2009, 10:39 PM
jinx thread..

SpursRulez4eVeR
12-13-2009, 10:46 PM
this thread sux

ducks
12-13-2009, 10:57 PM
one of his turnovers in first quarter hit dice in the hand
he should have caught it
it was not his turnover but he got credit for it

it's me
12-14-2009, 12:01 AM
he should have caught it

lol

ducks
12-14-2009, 12:08 AM
did you watch the game
I did

SpursRulez4eVeR
12-14-2009, 12:09 AM
he should have caught it

one of his turnovers was he bounced the ball off his knee
he should not have done it
it was not his turnover but his knee's

ducks
12-14-2009, 12:11 AM
yes the other three turnovers bounced off his knees
the other one was a pass attempt to dice and it hit dice hands went out of bounce
dice should have caught it nba tvs announcers even said so

Chieflion
12-14-2009, 12:12 AM
In ducks' count, Parker never commits a turnover.

it's me
12-14-2009, 12:12 AM
one of his turnovers was the ball growing wings and flying away from him
it was not his turnover but the ball flying away

JustinJDW
12-14-2009, 12:13 AM
I like how Parker is playing too. It also helps that Bogans and Hill are knocking down their shots and RJ is being aggressive and scoring points.

Cry Havoc
12-14-2009, 12:14 AM
one of his turnovers was he bounced the ball off his knee
it was not his turnover but his knee's

So what's your point? Is Tony the only PG in basketball that turns the ball over?

It's not like he's the only one on the team having ball control issues this year.

ducks
12-14-2009, 12:14 AM
In ducks' count, Parker never commits a turnover.

I said the other three were his the 4 one was credited to him but should not

I never said the other three were not his turnovers
in your count tp can never do anything right

ducks
12-14-2009, 12:16 AM
So what's your point? Is Tony the only PG in basketball that turns the ball over?

It's not like he's the only one on the team having ball control issues this year.

yeah nash is averaging more turnovers then tp this year:lol:lol

Kori Ellis
Tony is obviously still hurting a little plus adjusting his game, resulting in mental mistakes and far too many turnovers. Sometimes, it's a matter of spacing (new guys in the wrong place) and sometimes it's a matter of Tony just mentally lapsing. But he's one of the last people on the team that I worry about. It might take him few more weeks to get healed up physically and get in a groove with distributing, but I trust it will happen.

Chieflion
one of his turnovers was the ball growing wings and flying away from him
it was not his turnover but the ball flying away
One of his turnovers was the ball being infected with Baron Davis' flu and rolled to get disinfected.
It should not have rolled away.
It was not his turnover but the ball rolled away because of Baron Davis and should be recorded under Baron's TO.

ducks
duncan had 3 turnovers tonight

ducks
12-14-2009, 12:19 AM
Tony is obviously still hurting a little plus adjusting his game, resulting in mental mistakes and far too many turnovers. Sometimes, it's a matter of spacing (new guys in the wrong place) and sometimes it's a matter of Tony just mentally lapsing. But he's one of the last people on the team that I worry about. It might take him few more weeks to get healed up physically and get in a groove with distributing, but I trust it will happen.

true
he did not get alot of minutes in second half tonight
but he still got 7 assist
spurs turnovers as a hole were alot better tonight
but duncan and tp had 7 of the 13
but they handle the ball alot

ElNono
12-14-2009, 12:30 AM
If he can keep his assists between 7 and 10, I think we'll do great. His shot was not on today and still got 10 and 7. His defense is what worries me sometimes, but Baron Davis is a tough cover no matter who you are...

Bender
12-14-2009, 12:31 AM
was tony told to start getting the other guys involved, or is it just what he's deciding to do himself?

honestfool84
12-14-2009, 12:40 AM
was tony told to start getting the other guys involved, or is it just what he's deciding to do himself?

Pop said he has decided to do it himself.

maybe he's been reading SpursTalk..

or, OMG! i know! maybe he IS ducks!

Tony Parker and ducks are one and the same. that explains a lot. the broken English, the constant love-making ducks has of Parker...!!!

Interrohater
12-14-2009, 12:45 AM

That's his own thing, as stated by Pop. It is obvious though, that he's changing his style of play. Last year, he didn't have the weapons he has this year, which caused him to have that "selfish" mentality that some will fault him for.

Josepatches_
12-14-2009, 12:50 AM
Imo he's not changing anything.It's only he doesn't have the energy to go the rim like he always did so he can't take the same shots than before.

4 TO aren't a lot for only one game but when you had 30 in 7 games then you have to fix that.

DPG21920
12-14-2009, 12:53 AM
TP will be fine. He just needs to get healthy. Besides the TO's, he has looked much better lately.

Why does Ducks keep bringing up Nash's to's compared to TP's? Nash averages almost 12 assists a game :lol

greyforest
12-14-2009, 04:47 AM
aw but hes so happy when he passes
http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/2038/tonylol.jpg

Bukefal
12-14-2009, 06:20 AM
TP did good, I like it. As for the turnovers, well 4 isnt that bad. there are many players who do worse. He needs to get healthy, but I like how he is playing now. I hope he can combine these more assists from him recently with increasing his points per game.

Mr.Robinson
12-14-2009, 06:24 AM
yes the other three turnovers bounced off his knees
the other one was a pass attempt to dice and it hit dice hands went out of bounce
dice should have caught it nba tvs announcers even said so

McDyess should have been credited that TO. It was a pretty pass that Mcdyess fumbled. He did the same about a minute later (McDyess). His hands are not there this season.

InK
12-14-2009, 06:49 AM
McDyess should have been credited that TO. It was a pretty pass that Mcdyess fumbled. He did the same about a minute later (McDyess). His hands are not there this season.

Everyone who watched the game knows that was Dice's TO, its just that time passes fast when you make fun outta ducks and his TP man crush. Try it out and see for yourself....

Duncan21kid
12-14-2009, 07:01 AM
fuck a duck fuck a duck fuck a duck fuck a duck

BillMc
12-14-2009, 07:22 AM
TP will be fine. No worries here.

ducks
12-14-2009, 09:13 AM
spurs win 78% of the time if tp has 8 assist or more

Budkin
12-14-2009, 12:27 PM
The whole team is just starting to get a feel for each other and play better. Parker is a big part of that.

Blackjack
12-14-2009, 12:36 PM
Tony Parker as Steve Nash
by Timothy Varner

Tony Parker assisted four of the first five San Antonio baskets, leading the Spurs to a commanding early lead against the Clippers. The Clippers would eventually battle back with a run of sorts, but last night’s game was over soon after it began (http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/playbyplay?gameId=291213012).

Keep reading → (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2009/12/14/tony-parker-as-steve-nash/)

The Truth #6
12-14-2009, 12:44 PM
Kudos to Tony for realizing he needs to get the team involved early.

Dice is out to lunch sometimes when he's out there but he's taking his time, still he should be ready to catch the pass on a pick and roll.

Oddly, a lot of Tony's turnovers are people stripping the ball out of his hands when he's driving. I don't remember that being an issue like it has been the last few games.

jag
12-14-2009, 12:45 PM

:lol

Blackjack
12-14-2009, 01:05 PM
That's his own thing, as stated by Pop. It is obvious though, that he's changing his style of play. Last year, he didn't have the weapons he has this year, which caused him to have that "selfish" mentality that some will fault him for.

As stated by Pop; I have a hard time believing that's exactly how it went, though.

Pop and Tony have surely broached the subject and I'm sure he's told his star point guard that he was the key to making this whole thing work; Pop likes to give his players credit through the media when trying to drive home a point. (pun not intended) People, misguided people, try to point Tony as some selfish offensive player whose only goal is to when on his terms, but that couldn't be further from the truth.

Is Tony a true, pure point? No, and those that argue he is are just as misguided. But it's not a slight or condemnation on the player he is. If Tony Parker was forced to be the prototypical point he wouldn't be the special player he's become.

Now, the type of player he is and the unique way in which he goes about being it, can be a little difficult to keep a team consistently in the flow or the players always involved; which leads some to draw selfish conclusions. But it's a small price to pay given all he does for the team; the Spurs drafted an unknown kid with a late first that became a top three player at his position. He may not own the perfect skill set to compliment a star post player or to run a conventional offense, but to look at a blessing, what Tony truly has been for the franchise, as a burden and not build the best team possible utilizing his gifts would be foolish.

No, Tony isn't a true, pure point; something tells me it doesn't keep the Spurs up at night..

angel_luv
12-14-2009, 01:08 PM
I was really impressed by Parker the last home game ( which is the last game I saw.) I thought he did a great job of getting everyone involved. Good for him. :)

Brazil
12-14-2009, 04:09 PM
As stated by Pop; I have a hard time believing that's exactly how it went, though.

Pop and Tony have surely broached the subject and I'm sure he's told his star point guard that he was the key to making this whole thing work; Pop likes to give his players credit through the media when trying to drive home a point. (pun not intended) People, misguided people, try to point Tony as some selfish offensive player whose only goal is to when on his terms, but that couldn't be further from the truth.

Is Tony a true, pure point? No, and those that argue he is are just as misguided. But it's not a slight or condemnation on the player he is. If Tony Parker was forced to be the prototypical point he wouldn't be the special player he's become.

Now, the type of player he is and the unique way in which he goes about being it, can be a little difficult to keep a team consistently in the flow or the players always involved; which leads some to draw selfish conclusions. But it's a small price to pay given all he does for the team; the Spurs drafted an unknown kid with a late first that became a top three player at his position. He may not own the perfect skill set to compliment a star post player or to run a conventional offense, but to look at a blessing, what Tony truly has been for the franchise, as a burden and not build the best team possible utilizing his gifts would be foolish.

No, Tony isn't a true, pure point; something tells me it doesn't keep the Spurs up at night..

I liked this post :toast

Solid D
12-14-2009, 04:29 PM

This.

kace
12-14-2009, 05:14 PM
a poster in 48moh has posted that in his comment:
popovich claims it is beacause of how other teams are playing parker, which may be a result of watching last year’s film (the tp show)

did we read something about that from Pop ?

i've seen that (defense focusing on TP) for quite a while. maybe it's even more this year. With Manu and RJ starting to look very good on offense, the perimeter defense will have to share his focus. good thing.

waly.mg
12-14-2009, 05:23 PM
The only small mistake of Tony is:

He try to shoot in the first move, if he canīt he try again and only after this he pass the ball.

I only change one thing, he can try in the first, if he canīt he must to pass.
Or, try in the first and after go to TD
If he donīt pass after the first move, the team have ony 10 seconds to take a good shoot.

Indazone
12-14-2009, 09:20 PM
If Parker starts to look to pass first, the Spurs become a very dangerous team indeed. If Parker insists on dribble penetrating and turnover..well you got what you got.