PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Popovich vows to limit Duncan's workload

duncan228
12-14-2009, 12:58 AM
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x282/duncan228/2009-2010/12-13-0922.jpg
Spurs center Tim Duncan puts up a shot as Clippers center Chris Kaman moves in trying to defend during the first half of Sunday night's game. Although he didn't play in the fourth quarter, Duncan finished with 21 points.

Popovich vows to limit Duncan's workload (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/Popovich_vows_to_limit_Duncans_workload.html)
Jeff McDonald

LOS ANGELES — A quarter of the way through the season, Tim Duncan leads the Spurs in scoring, rebounding and blocks.

But there is one statistical category involving Duncan that coach Gregg Popovich is monitoring more than others — minutes played.

Duncan entered Sunday night's game against the Clippers at the Staples Center averaging 32.2 minutes per game, second on the team behind Richard Jefferson. That number marks the upper limit of playing time Popovich expects to give his 33-year-old All-Star forward on a nightly basis.

“We always try to keep him around 32,” Popovich said before the game. “That's the way it has to be. If we want him for the playoffs, I can't play him 38, 39 minutes a game. It won't work.”

The concept of limiting Duncan's workload is not a new one.

Since turning 30 before the start of the 2006-07 season, Duncan's minutes have declined slightly each year. Duncan averaged 33.6 last season, the end of which saw him wracked with tendonosis in his knees.

So far this campaign, Duncan has used his allotment of minutes wisely, averaging 18.9 points, 10.6 rebounds, two blocks and 3.6 assists per game heading into Sunday.

“He's probably been our most consistent player from the beginning of the year to this point,” Popovich said. “We're slowly getting everybody to join him.”

Still, Popovich vows to fight the temptation to overplay Duncan.

“He's been good, but I'll make sure he doesn't get out of whack, minutes-wise,” Popovich said.

LeBron Jr.: Before the game, Popovich had a bit of fun with a reporter who had been sent to pen a story on second-year guard George Hill.

After the reporter asked a third question about Hill, Popovich playfully began busting his chops.

“Are you related to him?” Popovich joked. “He's not that good. He's a skinny little kid, second year in the league, and it's like he's LeBron or something.”

Popovich did clarify his preseason label of Hill as “my favorite player.”

“I just like him personally better than the other players,” Popovich said. “He laughs at my jokes. Timmy doesn't laugh at them anymore. He's heard them all.”

Finley stays home: As expected, injured guard Michael Finley did not make the three-game road trip, staying behind to nurse a sprained left ankle. He is not expected back until the end of the month at the earliest.

Can you hear me now?: Before leaving the game, Duncan took a shot in the ear from teammate Matt Bonner as the pair fought for the same rebound in the third quarter.

Bonner didn’t sound too apologetic afterward.

“Luckily, he doesn’t shoot with his ear,” Bonner said.

Spursmania
12-14-2009, 01:00 AM
“I just like him personally better than the other players,” Popovich said. “He laughs at my jokes. Timmy doesn't laugh at them anymore. He's heard them all.”:lol

SpursRulez4eVeR
12-14-2009, 01:02 AM
“I just like him personally better than the other players,” Popovich said. “He laughs at my jokes. Timmy doesn't laugh at them anymore. He's heard them all.”
:lol

SpursRulez4eVeR
12-14-2009, 01:02 AM
holy cow we just posted the same exact thing

hommeaetage
12-14-2009, 01:08 AM
:lmao

DesignatedT
12-14-2009, 01:09 AM
hehehehehehehehehehehehe

HarlemHeat37
12-14-2009, 01:14 AM
Kind of funny that there's a Finley mention under the "Pop's favorite player" part..love beats all..

duncan228
12-14-2009, 01:16 AM
Update in the article:

Can you hear me now?: Before leaving the game, Duncan took a shot in the ear from teammate Matt Bonner as the pair fought for the same rebound in the third quarter.

Bonner didn’t sound too apologetic afterward.

“Luckily, he doesn’t shoot with his ear,” Bonner said.

SenorSpur
12-14-2009, 01:18 AM
If Pop truly wants to limit Duncan's minutes, yet still manage minutes for both McDyess and Ratliff, perhaps he should take Ian off ice and give him some spot minutes. Certainly, a blowout game like the Clippers could've been used for just such a strategy.

HarlemHeat37
12-14-2009, 01:19 AM
Bonner is a ruthless hard-ass..

the crimson blur
12-14-2009, 01:27 AM

Bonner is trying to be super tough red rocket this year. Got his serious face on. Playing like Perkins out there.

ElNono
12-14-2009, 01:32 AM
Wish we could limit Pop's minutes some nights... :lol

angelbelow
12-14-2009, 01:47 AM

Only to his friends, not to his opponents =p

Blackjack
12-14-2009, 03:03 AM
Wish we could limit Pop's minutes some nights... :lol

It'd certainly be useful for the procurement of leads lately..:hat

TDMVPDPOY
12-14-2009, 03:07 AM
seriously michael finley should j ust continue to stay at home when the season is over....we are winning games now hahahha

Manufan909
12-14-2009, 03:15 AM
Only to his friends, not to his opponents =p

Hey, he was going to bitch slap that one Kings player, give him his props.:nope

TDMVPDPOY
12-14-2009, 03:20 AM
hey whats duncans per36 watever it is....

duncan228
12-14-2009, 03:27 AM
hey whats duncans per36 watever it is....

Per 36 minutes?

21 points (.546)
11.8 boards
4 assists
2.2 blocks

FT .747

exstatic
12-14-2009, 08:08 AM
If Pop truly wants to limit Duncan's minutes, yet still manage minutes for both McDyess and Ratliff, perhaps he should take Ian off ice and give him some spot minutes. Certainly, a blowout game like the Clippers could've been used for just such a strategy.

No, he just need to give Blair 21 minutes per game. When he does that, DeJuan averages 12p/10r.

You people need to forget about Ian. He's painfully obviously NOT a part of the Spurs future plans.

benefactor
12-14-2009, 09:30 AM
Bonner is trying to be super tough red rocket this year. Got his serious face on. Playing like Perkins out there.
Indeed. This year he has been more physical than he has ever been. He still has natural limitations, but he is playing harder in every area. I think watching Blair has inspired him some.

Spurs Brazil
12-14-2009, 10:34 AM
If TD can play 32MPG and we can still win games it'll help a lot for the playoffs with a fresh TD

TDMVPDPOY
12-14-2009, 10:42 AM
i dont like to see pop limiting td....

td show us ur worth 20m a season :D

EricB
12-14-2009, 11:59 AM
I think blair's D has gone from painfull to bad so a spike in minutes could be warranted...