PDA

View Full Version : Popovich Bares His True Sarcastic Soul

duncan228
12-14-2009, 02:33 PM
There's a thread (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141927) in the NBA forum, but I thought it should be here too.

Popovich Bares His True Sarcastic Soul (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=tsn-popovichbareshistrue&prov=tsn&type=lgns)
SportingNews

We always hear that Gregg Popovich and the Spurs are closet comedians. That’s certainly borne out by their HEB ads (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLYJpgrZCBk), but there’s no truth in advertising. If you want to find the real Spurs humor, you have to look a little closer to the team’s personality as we know it: dry, deadpan and just this side of snide.

Usually, the team keeps its funnies to itself. But when you catch them making funny out in the open, it’s always big news. Case in point: what happened when Lakers Blog (http://lakersblog.latimes.com/lakersblog/2009/12/gregg-popovich-on-the-pau-gasol-deal-.html) brought up the Gasol trade with Pop. His whip-smart response: "You mean the one where I fainted?"

Going further, he got a little jab in at anyone, most likely Lakers fans, trying to claim they didn’t fleece the Grizzlies. Because then everyone who likes another team would insist the league is rigged and second-guess last year’s title … anyway, it gets ugly fast. Pop, for his part, doesn’t mind adding a little fuel to the fire:

Andy [Kamenetzky] then asked him if the development of Pau’s lil’ bro in Memphis makes the deal perhaps a little less lopsided. Marc has, after all, become a very good NBA player down in Memphis, and is still very early in his career. Maybe, just maybe, it was a more equitable swap than he originally thought? "Please," he said with a sarcastic eye roll. "Please."

From his perspective, it doesn’t really matter how good Marc becomes, since he’s concerned about winning titles, not the rebuilding effort in Memphis. Thus anything that creates a dominant team in LA will seem disproportional.

In the same way that Duncan’s gradually shedding the "boring and blank" label and is getting recognized as a profoundly skilled player who operates with breathless efficiency, Popovich is on the verge of becoming a real cult hero.

Maybe it has something to do with the Spurs so undeniably constituting some kind of dynasty. And, with that, Duncan belonging way up there with the greats and Pop warranting consideration in the "best coaches" category. All both need is a little bit more re-branding. The intensely private Timmy will likely wait a while, but I can tell Popovich is just chomping at the bit to write a book that shows the real Spurs. If you hear me, Coach, I’ll be waiting by the phone.

timvp
12-14-2009, 02:37 PM
http://thehoopdoctors.com/online2/wp-content/uploads/2009/jerrywest.jpg

LOL indeed, Jerry West. LOL indeed.

:pctoss

urunobili
12-14-2009, 02:39 PM
FTL and their entire fanbase :tu

nkdlunch
12-14-2009, 02:42 PM
someone please bump the thread that timvp started the day of that trade

it went something like "Lakers get Gasol for nothing"

fun read

Solid D
12-14-2009, 02:49 PM
http://thehoopdoctors.com/online2/wp-content/uploads/2009/jerrywest.jpg

LOL indeed, Jerry West. LOL indeed.

:pctoss

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_B8_mQHuHLY8/SeZwbHinZUI/AAAAAAAAABA/E5JpOreN5vs/s320/west.gif

Drom John
12-14-2009, 03:59 PM
Harmon Killebrew > Jerry West

Ed Helicopter Jones
12-14-2009, 04:05 PM
The Spurs have the Austin Toros. The Lakers have the Memphis Grizzlies. I don't really see the problem in having a minor league team at your disposal to get your players ready to play with the big boys.

I'm sure as soon as little brother Marc is all-star worthy he'll find his way over to the A Team in Los Angeles as well. :tu

Slomo
12-14-2009, 04:08 PM
I'm sure as soon as little brother Marc is all-star worthy he'll find his way over to the A Team in Los Angeles as well. :tu

Of course its only fair.

TJastal
12-14-2009, 04:29 PM
The Spurs have the Austin Toros. The Lakers have the Memphis Grizzlies. I don't really see the problem in having a minor league team at your disposal to get your players ready to play with the big boys.

:lol :lol

So true, too. OJ Mayo has probably already been earmarked for a future 1st rounder and Sasha Vujavic.

YoMamaIsCallin
12-14-2009, 04:32 PM
but I can tell Popovich is just chomping at the bit to write a book that shows the real Spurs. If you hear me, Coach, I’ll be waiting by the phone.

If Popovich ever writes a book about the Spurs, start doing all the bad deeds you want, because hell has frozen over.

HarlemHeat37
12-14-2009, 08:05 PM
It's just funny that the Gasol trade was just "accepted" by everybody in the NBA offices(obviously because they were in on it) and in the media..only few questioned it..now all we hear about is how the Lakers are so dominant, which is true, but it seems like everybody just ignored WHY they became dominant again..only in the NBA would this happen..

I still can't believe Memphis used a large part of their cap space on Zach Randolph too..it was like they added to the joke..

The Truth #6
12-14-2009, 08:13 PM
I have no doubt this was a trade done to favor LA - but does that make it illegal?

Baseline
12-14-2009, 09:04 PM
It does if the Commissioner of the league orchestrates it.

Stern had to figure out a way to A) keep Bryant in LA, and further to that point, a way to B) keep the Lakers relevant after Shaquille was shipped out of town.

Bryant wasn't even able to get the Lakers in the playoffs the year after Shaquille left, and they were barely hanging on to a 7-8 seed year after year. It became painfully obvious that K. Bryant was...not as great as he thinks he is.

So bringing Gasol to LA accomplished both purposes for Mr. Stern. Once the deal was done, his league kept clicking along just like he planned.

pawe
12-14-2009, 09:59 PM
The basketball universe will balance itself. Those conniving dicks will get what they deserve.

Just enjoy the last few remaining years of Pop and TD.

greyforest
12-14-2009, 10:06 PM
The basketball universe will balance itself. Those conniving dicks will get what they deserve.

favorable foul calls, collusion, and championships?

wildbill2u
12-15-2009, 06:56 PM
someone please bump the thread that timvp started the day of that trade

it went something like "Lakers get Gasol for nothing"

fun read

Did Bill Simmons, that inveterage Celtic fan, ever write a column on that trade. I bet it was a scream.

DesignatedT
12-15-2009, 07:12 PM
It does if the Commissioner of the league orchestrates it.

Stern had to figure out a way to A) keep Bryant in LA, and further to that point, a way to B) keep the Lakers relevant after Shaquille was shipped out of town.

Bryant wasn't even able to get the Lakers in the playoffs the year after Shaquille left, and they were barely hanging on to a 7-8 seed year after year. It became painfully obvious that K. Bryant was...not as great as he thinks he is.

So bringing Gasol to LA accomplished both purposes for Mr. Stern. Once the deal was done, his league kept clicking along just like he planned.

exactly

O.J Mayo
12-15-2009, 07:19 PM
:lol :lol

So true, too. OJ Mayo has probably already been earmarked for a future 1st rounder and Sasha Vujavic.
Fuck you and STFU.