PDA

View Full Version : For Rockets, T-Mac Coming Back About More Than Health

duncan228
12-14-2009, 02:38 PM
For Rockets, T-Mac Coming Back About More Than Health (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=tsn-forrocketstmaccoming&prov=tsn&type=lgns)
SportingNews

As of right now, T-Mac is an All-Star starter (http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/The_Baseline/entry/view/47199/early_all-star_returns_are_weird). That’s neither here nor there, but has people thinking about the guard again. However, those vote tallies came right after Adelman insisted he wouldn’t rush McGrady back (http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/The_Baseline/entry/view/47106/adelman_doesnt_want_to_mess_up_a_good_thing_by_bri nging_back_t-mac__), especially not if the team was on a roll.

But now, Trevor Ariza will likely be suspended after his ineffective hissy-fit (http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/The_Baseline/entry/view/47628/trevor_ariza_temporarily_loses_it_in_toronto) from Sunday. With Ariza out, is there suddenly an opening for T-Mac to return? It has to happen at some point. And, according to Chron.com (http://blogs.chron.com/nba/2009/12/raptors_101_rockets_88_if_ariz.html), it’ll give a chance for Adelman to start integrating McGrady into the team—and if necessary, altering the way things are done:

The Rockets want to bring back McGrady when he was capable of being McGrady again. They were not going to ask him to go stand in the corner, wait for the ball and shoot a few 3s. They were not going to expect him to defend like Shane Battier and move the ball, shooting only when extremely open.

If McGrady is to play, it only makes sense to let him be McGrady. Adelman has long been about putting players in position to do what they do best. He never was wedded to a system, including the Sacramento style, as people assumed. He believed in the style that fit his teams best.

It may be unfair to paint Tracy McGrady as someone who can turn a team around. But it’s equally unfair and counterproductive to try and limit him to what makes sense with the team right now, or assume he can only do so much.

The Rockets may not be 100 percent satisfied with T-Mac in practice, but for one game, they might as well throw him out there, ask him to be himself, and see what happens. Unless they plan to keep him benched all season, which isn’t exactly the best strategy for a team that has over-achieved thus far and will need some sort of reinforcements if they’re going to make it happen in the playoffs.

Sidenote: Since Ariza can’t create or handle, even a toned-down version of McGrady—great passer, still draws attention, knows who his friends are—might be a big boost for him. He deserved more touches than he got in L.A., but it’s pretty clear Ariza is not a franchise swingman.

Brazil
12-14-2009, 05:02 PM
but it’s pretty clear Ariza is not a franchise swingman.

:wow OMG what a surprise ? I thought he was the next MJ !

Culburn369
12-14-2009, 05:09 PM
Sidenote: Since Ariza can’t create or handle, even a toned-down version of McGrady—great passer, still draws attention, knows who his friends are—might be a big boost for him. He deserved more touches than he got in L.A., but it’s pretty clear Ariza is not a franchise swingman.

And in other Sidenotes: Kobe Bryant's made 3 Vs Miami was possible because the Miami Heat missed a free throw just prior to Bryant's miracle shot. Yes, the whole fuckin' team missed the free throw.

Indazone
12-14-2009, 05:13 PM
Gotta admit Van Gundy could handle T-Mac way better than Adleman. Probably cause JVG was a hard ass and Adleman is sorta a players coach.

djohn2oo8
12-14-2009, 05:16 PM
Gotta admit Van Gundy could handle T-Mac way better than Adleman. Probably cause JVG was a hard ass and Adleman is sorta a players coach.

lol, McGrady would sit out half of practices under JVG, and McGrady quit on them in last year in Toronto, and Adleman is still understandably pissed

iggypop123
12-14-2009, 06:22 PM
insurance. i know the rockets like their money. only reason they are holding him out

Indazone
12-14-2009, 08:42 PM
Yah but Van Gundy got a lot more production out of T-Mac than Adleman

djohn2oo8
12-14-2009, 09:05 PM
Yah but Van Gundy got a lot more production out of T-Mac than Adleman

Adelman only had 1 full season with McGrady

Indazone
12-14-2009, 09:12 PM
Is he listed as day to day? It is actually only for insurance money that the Rockets will keep him sitting as far as I can see. Other than that it looks to me like a personality conflict between Adleman and T-Mac.

Would be funny if he makes the All-Star game and actually plays

Indazone
12-14-2009, 09:16 PM
Here's what we know for sure:

Player News
December 10, 2009
Despite not having played since last February, Tracy McGrady is currently second among all Western Conference guards in All-Star balloting, according to the NBA.

RotoTimes.com: His votes are presumably coming from China, where Yao Ming's countrymen are (in)famous for voting fellow Houston Rockets into the All-Star game. Case in point, Houston guard Aaron Brooks currently has more votes than either Deron Williams or Chauncey Billups.
December 4, 2009
Tracy McGrady remains available via trade, according to Yahoo! Sports.

RotoTimes.com: McGrady, who is making $23.2 million in the final year of his contract this season, is the league's highest paid player, making any deal hugely complicated. Of course, that money will come off the books next summer, so a deal is not out of the question, just unlikely. In the meantime, he remains out indefinitely as he recovers from knee surgery.
December 1, 2009
Tracy McGrady (recovery from microfracture surgery) remains out indefinitely, according to the Houston Chronicle.

RotoTimes.com: McGrady has now returned "full time" to team workouts, but has no set return date. "It's just a process," are the words of head coach Rick Adelman. "I can't tell you what the timetable is, but he's practicing, he's working. That's what we're going on. We'll figure that (the timetable) out when we get to it. He looks o.k. He looks alright. He's just got to keep pushing himself and try to take each step."

djohn2oo8
12-14-2009, 09:18 PM
Is he listed as day to day? It is actually only for insurance money that the Rockets will keep him sitting as far as I can see. Other than that it looks to me like a personality conflict between Adleman and T-Mac.

Would be funny if he makes the All-Star game and actually plays

He has been out of basketball for 8 months? you don't just come back and be automatically in basketball shape

Indazone
12-14-2009, 09:22 PM
True...I used to play some in high school and if I was out for any length of time, my shot was totally off. Especially my long ball.