PDA

View Full Version : Popovich's favorite could have tough choice in near future

duncan228
12-14-2009, 04:30 PM
Popovich's favorite could have tough choice in near future (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/arash_markazi/12/14/george.hill/index.html)
Arash Markazi
SI.com

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/si/2009/writers/arash_markazi/12/14/george.hill/george-hill.jpg
George Hill has almost doubled his scoring average from 5.7 points per game last year, to 10.7 this season.
Greg Nelson/SI

Asking a coach to name his favorite player is almost like asking a parent to name their favorite child. Even if they have one, they likely won't say it out of respect for the rest of their kids. Spurs coach Gregg Popovich, however, has no problem singling out one player on a roster led by Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker, as his favorite.

George Hill.

On more than one occasion this season, Popovich, who doesn't normally warm up to young players, has singled out Hill, the second-year backup point guard out of IUPUI, as his favorite player on the team.

"I just like him, personally, better than the other players," Popovich said jokingly Sunday night. "I don't really like the other ones as much as I like being around him. That's why I say he's my favorite player, because he is."

As much as he loves Hill's work ethic, selflessness and versatility, Popovich seemed slightly stunned when a reporter actually wanted to do a story on the unsung player who has almost doubled his scoring average from 5.7 points per game last year, to 10.7 this season.

"Are you related to him? He's not that good," Popovich teased. "A skinny little kid, you know, second year in the league, it's not like he's LeBron or something. I told you he's my favorite player, I like him on both ends of the floor, I play him at three positions -- what else can I say? He laughs at my jokes. He's a good kid. Timmy doesn't laugh at them anymore so I had to find someone new."

Hill has done more than just laugh at Popovich's jokes to win over his confidence and rank fourth on the team in scoring and third in minutes per game. Not only has he refined his game, routinely hitting open jump shots in transition (shots he passed up on last season), but has become a tenacious defender and someone the Spurs lean on to disrupt the opposition's best scorer.

Against the Bucks, for example, Hill, who is 6-foot-2 but has a 6-foot-9 wingspan, was given the task of shutting down Brandon Jennings, who had recently gone off for 55 points against Golden State and 29 against Charlotte. Hill forced 6-for-21 shooting and only 12 points from Jennings, while finishing with 14 points and two blocks himself.

"When you have someone like that come off the bench who can play multiple positions and be a very good defender, it's huge," said Duncan. "We've asked him not only to play the point guard position, but also be a stopper for us against certain individuals. He's really played a huge role for us."

After the Bucks game, and following most games at home, Hill went straight from the court to the weight room, continuing a ritual that began his rookie season. In his first year, Hill was required to hit the gym after games since San Antonio's strength and conditioning coach, Mike Brungardt, made those who played less than 15 minutes a game put in extra conditioning work. And even though Hill averages close to 25 minutes a game this season, he still makes his usual trip to the weight room.

"I want to be great; I don't just want to be good," said Hill, who turned down scholarship offers from Florida and Indiana to play at IUPUI and be close to his dying great grandfather. "I want to get better each year, and I think that goes with watching Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker and how they've been so successful. They're in the gym all the time, and that goes through everybody on our whole team. Even if I play a lot I always want to be better at something and be the greatest."

With Parker and Ginobili out with injuries, Hill started four games at the start of the season, playing both guard and small forward. Though his versatility came out of necessity, Hill said he still enjoys the flexibility it has given him now that everyone is healthy. Such was the case Sunday in a 115-90 rout of the Clippers in L.A., Hill finished with 11 points, his third straight game scoring in double figures and 11th of the season

"He's just keeps getting better," said Spurs guard Roger Mason. "He's a talented kid and I think knowing what Pop wants from him day in and day out, he's evolving into the point guard that he knows he can be. He's very mature and he listens. A lot of young guys, when they come into the league, for whatever reason, they think they know more than they do. George has a humble approach and he's willing to listen to older guys, especially Pop. And whatever Pop asks of him, he does."

When Hill, the only player from IUPUI to play in the NBA, was selected by the Spurs with the 26th overall pick in the 2008 draft, most fans and league executives questioned the Spurs' thinking. With Mario Chalmers and Chris Douglas-Roberts on the board, the Spurs went with a player who wasn't projected to go until the mid- to late-second round.

But the Spurs track record should have warned the skeptics. In the past 10 years, the Spurs have picked Ginobili, Parker, Luis Scola, Leandro Barbosa, Beno Udrih, Hill and DeJuan Blair. And none of them were selected higher than 26.

"We're just looking for a good player," said Popovich. "The work starts now, so when you're in that position [late in the first or in the second round], you have some options of guys other people might have missed and who you think will fit into your program. We've had some pretty good success with that."

While Hill, 23, has shown he would likely flourish as a regular starter, he's content to back up Parker, 27, and fill in for Ginobili, giving the Spurs an added dimension on both ends of the court. There may be a time in the near future, however, when Hill must decide if he's happy simply being Popovich's favorite backup on a championship contender, or if he's willing to take a chance and become a starter somewhere else.

"If the time comes when I can be [a starter], yes, I'll be willing to take the opportunity," Hill said. "But at the same time, I just want to win and be a part of an organization like this, wherever it takes me it takes me. I don't want to say, 'Yeah, I want to start over Tony Parker,' because that's not the deal, I just want to be a great NBA player and have a long, 15-plus-year career and be one of those players who will be remembered as a great player during his time."

Brazil
12-14-2009, 04:49 PM
I like Hill a lot but how can we explain he lost his rebounding skills ? I haven't the stats per 36 mn but this is what surprise me when I see him play maybe I'm with a wrong idea tough.

bdictjames
12-14-2009, 04:50 PM
Hill has high expectations for himself, good.. him and Blair will be the future.

mazerrackham
12-14-2009, 04:54 PM
I like Hill a lot but how can we explain he lost his rebounding skills ? I haven't the stats per 36 mn but this is what surprise me when I see him play maybe I'm with a wrong idea tough.

We have much better rebounding bigs this year. There's less rebounding necessary by the guard positions. That would be my guess anyway.

jag
12-14-2009, 04:55 PM
I like Hill a lot but how can we explain he lost his rebounding skills ?

I assume Pop has put a lot of emphasis on his guards getting back for transition defense.

TIMMYD!
12-14-2009, 04:56 PM
Hill has high expectations for himself, good.. him and Blair will be the future.

And Splitter (fingers crossed)

crc21209
12-14-2009, 05:15 PM
When that time comes...I think George seems like a smart kid who would rather win than be a starter for a lottery team.

slick'81
12-14-2009, 05:20 PM
fckn love george hill hes been sooo solid this season

DxB
12-14-2009, 05:22 PM
Holy shit did he just raise the bar for himself.

Juanobili
12-14-2009, 05:23 PM
Spurs can't let this guy get away :ihit

Pero
12-14-2009, 05:27 PM
When that time comes...I think George seems like a smart kid who would rather win than be a starter for a lottery team.

You call that smart? :lol

SenorSpur
12-14-2009, 05:30 PM

...and if the Spurs can somehow land a young, talented, athletic, SF (a la Rudy Gay), they truly will have a core for the future.

By the way, Gay is auditioning for a new contract somewhere, as the Grizz could very well let him walk this summer.

crc21209
12-14-2009, 05:30 PM
You call that smart? :lol

Well its either be a role player on a championship team for a couple years to come and make decent money...or make some crazy money on a shit team and watch your whole career go to shit for a lottery team...

crc21209
12-14-2009, 05:31 PM
...and if the Spurs can somehow land a young, talented, athletic, SF (a la Rudy Gay), they truly will have a core for the future.

By the way, Gay is auditioning for a new contract somewhere, as the Grizz could very well let him walk this summer.

If the Spurs can pull that off, I will be pretty damn confident in this team for years to come...:tu

TMTTRIO
12-14-2009, 05:45 PM
If he wants to start we could possibly start him at the 2 and then switching off with Tony. I have to admit though he makes a great 6th man and if we let Manu go or he goes somewhere else this summer then we would need someone off the bench who could come right in and score right away.

EmptyMan
12-14-2009, 05:59 PM
Doc Rivers was also about to draft Hill.

The thing I like about Hill is when he screws up on a play, he often makes up for it by getting a steal/defensive stop on the resulting play caused by his screwup.

sonic21
12-14-2009, 06:07 PM
I was really impressed with Hill in preseason and in the begining of the season. But now, not so much.

Wildcat67
12-14-2009, 06:21 PM
How many teams could Hill start for in the NBA?

5in10
12-14-2009, 06:25 PM
He can be a starter here alongside Tony at sg...

HarlemHeat37
12-14-2009, 07:57 PM
There aren't really many teams he would start for right now..I can only think of 5 teams where he would start at the 1 or 2 off the top of my head..

He's still potential right now, with some flashes of a guy that could be a top-tier role player in the future..he still has A LOT of work to do when it comes to passing, and that's the main thing he should work on..his future in this league is much better as a PG IMO..

The Truth #6
12-14-2009, 08:07 PM
Nice article on Hill, however there is no way Hill would have been a mid second round pick. I know that as soon as the Spurs drafted him the Lakers sent a trade offer. I'm not sure what was invloved, but I think it was good enough that most anyone on this board would have jumped at it instantly. Nice work by the Spurs to keep him. George is a great guy and has a strong work ethic.

Take that, Meyotch!

exstatic
12-14-2009, 08:09 PM
He's getting 24 minutes in a crowded guard/swing rotation. Next year, Fin will be gone, and likely Mason, too. If he's not set on starting, but content with solid minutes, he could be happy here.

itzsoweezee
12-15-2009, 01:46 AM
he could start at the 2 right now

lennyalderette
12-15-2009, 03:20 AM
yep i agree with all of you guys, what player has pop ever called his favorite? no one! will the spurs ever let that go? heck no! and especially if hes as humble as he is. he could def start right now at the two. i think we should wait one more year though. It really is a big decision to start him on our team at the two, because he will be learning the 2 position instead of our future pg plans. i would love to have him as a 1 or 2 player. Tiago/blair/hill/ is a good start to a new team guys! what if nando de colo steps up? or who knows who were going to get this coming year! or if things go bad once timmy leaves, and tony is not happy here we can trade him for a really good player! just keep the options open.

raspsa
12-15-2009, 04:03 AM
I wouldn't blame him if he goes with the highest bidder, if it comes to that. Hopefully Spurs make him an attractive contract extension.

TDMVPDPOY
12-15-2009, 04:14 AM
if he goes, spurs fo only have themselves to blame...

this is what happen when you allow a player like hill walk away for nothing....

give hill the same no. of plays and touches like a first option he can double his scoring...

too good to be playing bench to scrub pg

lurker23
12-15-2009, 04:37 AM
George Hill's ultimate future in San Antonio will depend almost entirely on his role. You don't $5 million or more to a backup PG, no matter how good they are (unless you're the Portland Trailblazers). Unless Hill's play really levels off, and as long as Parker is here, the only way I see Hill staying beyond his rookie contract is if his SG minutes are greater than his PG minutes.

quentin_compson
12-15-2009, 05:48 AM
I was really impressed with Hill in preseason and in the begining of the season. But now, not so much.

I agree. His energy level is always great and he deserves playing time for his potential on the defensive end alone. However, his passing/playmaking skills don't look much improved when compared to last season. I also think he should drive to the basket more and not settle for jumphots or threes.

Still, it's great to have him and I think he has a lot of potential not utilised yet.

Ryvin1
12-15-2009, 09:19 AM
Would love to see Hill develop into the player that can fill in for Manu as Manu's role diminishes and he retires.

Pero
12-15-2009, 09:34 AM
Well its either be a role player on a championship team for a couple years to come and make decent money...or make some crazy money on a shit team and watch your whole career go to shit for a lottery team...

Making crazy money = career going to shit?

:lmao

kobyz
12-15-2009, 10:17 AM
Hill need to improve his defense, there is too much times that Hill beaten by the dribble or beaten by a screen.

Mel_13
12-15-2009, 10:35 AM
I wonder what the headline writer thinks "near future" means. Hill is under contract through the end of the 2011-12 season. If the Spurs have not extended his contract by that time, he will be a restricted free agent in the summer of 2012. Hill won't have any choices to make before then.

The only choices to be made before 2012 belong to the Spurs.

Big P
12-15-2009, 12:48 PM
I wonder what the headline writer thinks "near future" means. Hill is under contract through the end of the 2011-12 season. If the Spurs have not extended his contract by that time, he will be a restricted free agent in the summer of 2012. Hill won't have any choices to make before then.

The only choices to be made before 2012 belong to the Spurs.

Exactly what I was thinking. Hill is locked up through 2012-13 where we have a QO for him. Near future = 3 to 4 years? Not in the NBA..the "near future" means within a few months...Hill is not going to have to make a decision, the Spurs are going to decide if they want to pick up the option on his rookie contract, which at this point is a no brainer.

Killakobe81
12-15-2009, 01:03 PM
Perfect Triangle point gaurd especially if 3 pt ball improves ...Future Laker... You guys are just holding him like the Celts did with Bshaw and Rick fox ...LOL!

Just teasing (sorta) but Hill is my favorite spur not named Duncan ...and we have a much better chance of stealing him than we ever did Timmy ...

Lakers DID plan to draft him the year he came out Mitch thought he might side to early 2nd round ...like Blair did ...Oh well ...

Killakobe81
12-15-2009, 01:08 PM
Exactly what I was thinking. Hill is locked up through 2012-13 where we have a QO for him. Near future = 3 to 4 years? Not in the NBA..the "near future" means within a few months...Hill is not going to have to make a decision, the Spurs are going to decide if they want to pick up the option on his rookie contract, which at this point is a no brainer.

Great point ... but if he develops ...the article is talking about more of the Mark price/KJ/Terell brandon type issue. You cant keep 2 starting PG's on your team for too long the younger guys is aLWAYS going to want the chance to run a squad ...Hill has got long arms but long-term he and parker would probaly not work in the same backcourt either ...Hill may at some point ask for the opportunity to start ...that was the point ...But who knows some didnt think Dumars and Isiah would work and they did quite well ...but league has changed ...

Sa doesnt seem like the type of org. to not grant him that if they could also get something in return ...good news for SA he is not "quite that developed yet" ... if he continues we'll see nothing to stress over now ...

ducks
12-15-2009, 01:47 PM

manu for gay

LOL@MavsFan
12-15-2009, 01:51 PM
manu for gay

Parker for Hill

ffadicted
12-15-2009, 02:36 PM
I'm hoping Hill stays here at least for a good portion of his eventual prime. The kid's got talent, and the heart to want to improve. I can see him being one of our go-to-guys in 3 to 4 years for sure

elbamba
12-15-2009, 04:05 PM
I wonder if the Spurs will hand Parker a major deal when his contract is up. By the time that happens Duncan will be on the way out as will Manu. It seems to me like they will offer him some low ball offer and he will probably get money elsewhere. I think that Hill will probably be our starting pg in 3 years.

Mr Bones
12-15-2009, 04:12 PM
When Hill was first drafted, spurstalk was inundated with threads and posts saying WTF??? a million times, followed by a thread asking whether R C Buford should be FIRED! 50% of the people said yes! Hilarious.

duncan228
12-15-2009, 04:23 PM
When Hill was first drafted, spurstalk was inundated with threads and posts saying WTF??? a million times...

:lol I thought chat was going to explode when they said Hill's name.

SenorSpur
12-15-2009, 06:12 PM
manu for gay

I know it's sacrilegous to think of that, but it IS something to think about. Since the Grizz were stupid enough NOT to offer him an extension, the talk is they will likely allow him to walk this summer. I'll believe it when I see it. However if he's available, the Spurs had better be first in line for his services.

This kid is an outstanding talent and he's young enough to where Pop could instll some defensive priniciples into him and make him a better all around player. He'd fit in perfectly with the Spurs.

Josepatches_
12-15-2009, 06:31 PM
I wonder if the Spurs will hand Parker a major deal when his contract is up. By the time that happens Duncan will be on the way out as will Manu. It seems to me like they will offer him some low ball offer and he will probably get money elsewhere. I think that Hill will probably be our starting pg in 3 years.

I think the same.Our situation will be different.
If Hill stays here he will be our PG.

wildbill2u
12-15-2009, 06:43 PM
Pop could have put Hill in trouble with the other players with that designation, but we have a bunch of great team players who took it well and with a grain of good cheer knowing Pop and his penchant for satire and irony.

Duncan should start laughing at Pop's jokes again.

senorglory
12-15-2009, 08:25 PM
the "tough choice" doesn't appear to be spelled out in the article. kind of elliptical writing, if that was meant to be the point of the article.