PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone's opinion actually changed...

Supergirl
12-14-2009, 06:44 PM
...from reading something on this board?

I mean this as a serious question. Has anyone actually found themselves reconsidering a political position they came onto this board with, or are we all just talking past each other?

Wild Cobra
12-14-2009, 06:47 PM
I have been on the rare occasion changing my viewpoint, and noticed others to. But if I read you correctly, you are under the impression that doesn't happen much, and I would agree.

admiralsnackbar
12-14-2009, 06:51 PM
I'd agree with WC's assessment as far as about-face opinion revisions are concerned, but it's also fair to say that seeing the totality of everyone's opinions helps refine my own in the same way that reading multiple news sources can do -- that happens daily.

spursncowboys
12-14-2009, 06:58 PM
I agree with the two previous posters. I don't think a belief should be that easy moved. Also I think that the average person who goes to a political forum has already set principles. I would also question people who use forums as educating resources.

With that said, I have learned more from many of these debates than from old news avenues.

Nbadan
12-14-2009, 07:51 PM
There are very many diverse opinions here and I guess that's one of the forum's strength..also, being locally-based (San Antonio) doesn't hurt either....can someone point me to a SA-based board that gets more posting action on local, state, and national news than this forum?

...that said, this forum is great for bitchin.. :ihit

iggypop123
12-14-2009, 08:55 PM
have you seen some topics? going on forever. i think its a no

EVAY
12-14-2009, 09:05 PM
Basic world-views are unlikely to change, but if you are open-minded to facts, and willing to read some of the posts, you can learn things.

Lots of the posts are just repeats of other opinions, so that is why there is little change.

Then there are folks who refuse facts as facts. They are a different group, and will never change their opinion about anything based on any fact that they dislike. They then refute the fact. I always find that fascinating.

mookie2001
12-14-2009, 10:00 PM
ive changed my opinions on the people who hold some opinions

Winehole23
12-14-2009, 10:18 PM

I mean this as a serious question. Has anyone actually found themselves reconsidering a political position they came onto this board withSure. Almost every day, another poster brings up something I never considered before.

Just like everyday, posters bring up things you have heard a thousand times before, and will hear a thousand times again.

or are we all just talking past each other?100% of the time?

I think not.

EmptyMan
12-15-2009, 01:03 PM
That standing v. sitting thread really changed my life.

Winehole23
12-15-2009, 01:06 PM
The thread about the speculative banishment of gays to women's rooms and lesbians to men's rooms was pretty sweet, too

spurster
12-15-2009, 01:20 PM
What I have noticed is that many people are more loyal to their side (defined by their party or who they are against) than to any stated beliefs. It makes me try to avoid doing the same thing.

Winehole23
12-15-2009, 01:39 PM
What I have noticed is that many people are more loyal to their side (defined by their party or who they are against) than to any stated beliefs. It makes me try to avoid doing the same thing.The idea that ideas have form and determinate content is a quaintness the world of squishy political adjustments does not forgive easily. It's a burr in the Empire's saddle.

Measuring the parties loyalty to their stated platforms -- i.e., their own *ideas* -- is a fool's errand. Where the ideas themselves are not opportunistically seized upon for mere expedience, the indifference and stupidity of the public tends to render them moot and shortly thereupon the political majority proceeds to mock its very own words, in deed.

In relation to mythology, the world of *political ideas* is marginal, at best. Odd uncles like mogrovejo wave this around as proof that we all should surrender to the mythology, and quit wasting our time pointing out that our representatives have not been faithful to their own ideas. It was odd advice, I thought.

101A
12-15-2009, 04:42 PM
Sure. Almost every day, another poster brings up something I never considered before.

Just like everyday, posters bring up things you have heard a thousand times before, and will hear a thousand times again.

100% of the time?

I think not.

This.

101A
12-15-2009, 04:44 PM
What I have noticed is that many people are more loyal to their side (defined by their party or who they are against) than to any stated beliefs. It makes me try to avoid doing the same thing.

It's ingrained DEEP - tribalism.

Blake
12-15-2009, 05:05 PM
sure. Almost every day, another poster brings up something i never considered before.

+1

TeyshaBlue
12-15-2009, 05:06 PM

I mean this as a serious question. Has anyone actually found themselves reconsidering a political position they came onto this board with, or are we all just talking past each other?

I have found myself reconsidering a number of positions after a decent exchange of views. That being said, the ratio of decent exchange to wailing monkey shit flinging is about 1:79. :lol

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y64/teyshablue/arguing2.gif

Winehole23
12-15-2009, 05:09 PM
the ratio of decent exchange to wailing monkey shit flinging is about 1:79.Too generous, IMHO.

Blake
12-15-2009, 05:17 PM
I have found myself reconsidering a number of positions after a decent exchange of views. That being said, the ratio of decent exchange to wailing monkey shit flinging is about 1:79. :lol

yeah, but some of the monkey shit is still worthwhile reading.

Idiot posters getting owned always makes for great entertainment.