PDA

View Full Version : int'l business homework help

chode_regulator
12-14-2009, 08:30 PM
i hate to ask but I have no clue on the second part of this question. The first part was how have the wars in afghanistan and iraq affected the US status as a world power.
This I had no problem answering.

The second part I have no clue on though.
What has been the impact to the US as it relates to trading with other nations?
I'm not really looking for anyone to complete the essay question for me, just some pointers or thoughts on a route to pursue. I tried google and coudlnt come up with much. same with the textbook.

bueller?

thispego
12-14-2009, 08:32 PM
y'all better be serious and not fuck around in this thread

spursfan09
12-14-2009, 08:33 PM
We Import more than we Export. So we have a trade deficit.
There's different theories as to what we should do.

spursfan09
12-14-2009, 08:34 PM
I forgot the theories. I want to say there is protectionism and then there are the ones for free trade.

admiralsnackbar
12-14-2009, 08:34 PM
What has been the impact to the US as it relates to trading with other nations?

Is there a time-period to frame things, or is the question really that broad?

spursfan09
12-14-2009, 08:35 PM
Research what US has a comparative advantage in producing and how we use that surplus to trade with other nations.

chode_regulator
12-14-2009, 08:38 PM
my bad guys, i didn't make it clear enough.
I meant in regards to the war with iraq and afghanistan, how have they affected/impacted trade with other nations

spursfan09
12-14-2009, 08:44 PM
Hmmm.... Sorry!

chode_regulator
12-14-2009, 08:45 PM
Hmmm.... Sorry!

Exactly, I'm like hwo the fuck should I know? :bang

whottt
12-14-2009, 08:47 PM
The way you need to approach this question:

Is there any possible answer which would lead to America being the bad guy?
Is there any possible answer which would lead to America being the good guy?

If you can come up with those, ignore the one which would lead to America being the good guy, and state the answer which would lead to America being the bad guy...and I will guarantee you that is the answer your Professor wants. He'll probably even give you extra credit if you come up with something new.

NuGGeTs-FaN
12-14-2009, 08:48 PM
I would assume that one impact is the fact that the wars have driven the USA further into debt. Therefore, i am thinking that some nations would be less likely to trade with the USA on a credit basis, given their debt issues.

i don't know international finance and how the debt/financing works on such a big scale though. Just my 2 cents worth

admiralsnackbar
12-14-2009, 08:49 PM

If you can come up with those, ignore the one which would lead to America being the good guy, and state the answer which would lead to America being the bad guy...and I will guarantee you that is the answer your Professor wants. He'll probably even give you extra credit if you come up with something new.

This is probably a red herring. People want to make money and will trade with anybody, good or bad.

admiralsnackbar
12-14-2009, 08:51 PM
I would assume that one impact is the fact that the wars have driven the USA further into debt. Therefore, i am thinking that some nations would be less likely to trade with the USA on a credit basis, given their debt issues.

i don't know international finance and how the debt/financing works on such a big scale though. Just my 2 cents worth

This, on the other hand, is right on the money. Think about our relationship to China over the war years. There's your answer.

The Reckoning
12-14-2009, 09:00 PM
you can talk about the impact it has had on OPECs policies and look at the israeli-arab conflict in 1973 with the 1973 oil crisis...compare and contrast.

thats what i'd do.

chode_regulator
12-14-2009, 09:01 PM

Good thoughts, but I seem to remember stumbling across an article yesterday about how it was the opposite for some reason. Somehow our dollar losing value was beneficial for us as far as trading goes. Maybe bc if they come in with a stronger unit of money they could buy more so we would import more? I can't remember. I may go wtih this anyway.

This, on the other hand, is right on the money. Think about our relationship to China over the war years. There's your answer.
Yeah good point about China and htem buying up debt left and right.

The Reckoning
12-14-2009, 09:06 PM
Somehow our dollar losing value was beneficial for us as far as trading goes. Maybe bc if they come in with a stronger unit of money they could buy more so we would import more? I can't remember. I may go wtih this anyway.

yeah it increases the net capital outflow which correlates with net exports

chode_regulator
12-14-2009, 09:40 PM
thanks for the pointers guys.

now all i have left to do is finish the 20 minute presentation i put off until today taht is due tommorow. unrelated to the homework assignment i asked about.
i hate being a procrastinator

mookie2001
12-14-2009, 09:54 PM
your wife cant help you?

4cc should know but all hes into now is diaper policy and infant economics

chode_regulator
12-14-2009, 10:26 PM
too bad. I bet he could write the entire essay though whilst changing diapers and drink 8 40s

whottt
12-14-2009, 10:26 PM
The decline of the dollar made us a better export partner than the EU, it made it cheaper to import things from us, than the European Union. It did not do much for us vs exports from Mexico, China or India and the like, it did however make us more attractive than the EU. The decline of the dollar also served to up the status of the euro itself making it competitive and in some circles superior to the dollar as the de-facto currency of the world and preffered choice in terms of secure currency at that particular time. Plus it was gaining value against the dollar in runaway fashion which made it better currency to have a lot of, if you had a lot of money. You could actually make money just off the dollar falling if you had a lot of it. In fact at one point there were actors and actresses in Hollywood asking to be paid in the euro instead of the dollar. When the people with all the money start putting it in a certain currency, it serves to increase the value of it.

However, the financial collapse of last year hit Europe every bit as hard as it did us, in particular the banking and finance sector, and that particular occurence sent the chicken littles running back to mama dollar for security, which in turn drove up the value of the dollar against the euro slightly. I'd say the situation right now is stable although we are still down against the euro. The result is our exports are still seen as a better deal than Europe's, and at the same time, the dollar has stabilized against the euro somewhat, and the uncertainty in the market has sort of put the talk of the euro replacing the dollar as the de-facto world currency on the shelf for now.

What this has to do with the Iraq and Afghanistan Wars, is next to nothing just as there is pretty much nothing I can think of concerning the wars that impacted our trade outside of some sort of psychological trust or like issue.

For instance, say individuals stopped buying American products in other countries at the individual level, because they did not agree with our war, which in turn lead to a decreased demand for our exports.

Or another example, at one point there was a defacto boycott of French products on the part of many Americans over their refusal to support the Iraq war.

Ultimately though it's this, money talks, and regardless of whether nor people like us, our products were cheaper than those of the EU, and that French boycott didnt burn brightly for long...so really those are little or no factors at all.

However, I promise that taking the war is bad and we are bad for it approach is the right direction to go in seeking this answer. I assure you, whatever answer there is is lies there whether it makes much sense or not.

baseline bum
12-14-2009, 11:14 PM
thanks for the pointers guys.

now all i have left to do is finish the 20 minute presentation i put off until today taht is due tommorow. unrelated to the homework assignment i asked about.
i hate being a procrastinator

http://site.despair.com/images/dpage/procrastination03.jpg

CuckingFunt
12-14-2009, 11:24 PM
Don't even talk to me from procrastination. Over the last two days I've been writing five papers, all due today, that I've known about since the first week of the semester. Go me!

chode_regulator
12-14-2009, 11:33 PM
http://site.despair.com/images/dpage/procrastination03.jpg
ahahaha. so true. in fact i was just thinking to myself earlier, even though today and yesterday have sucked, if i added up all the hours spent working on this i bet it would be less than if i worked on it a bit at a time. i traded weeks of goofin off for two nights of shittiness.

The decline of the dollar made us a better export partner than the EU, it made it cheaper to import things from us, than the European Union. It did not do much for us vs exports from Mexico, China or India and the like, it did however make us more attractive than the EU. The decline of the dollar also served to up the status of the euro itself making it competitive and in some circles superior to the dollar as the de-facto currency of the world and preffered choice in terms of secure currency at that particular time. Plus it was gaining value against the dollar in runaway fashion which made it better currency to have a lot of, if you had a lot of money. You could actually make money just off the dollar falling if you had a lot of it. In fact at one point there were actors and actresses in Hollywood asking to be paid in the euro instead of the dollar. When the people with all the money start putting it in a certain currency, it serves to increase the value of it.

However, the financial collapse of last year hit Europe every bit as hard as it did us, in particular the banking and finance sector, and that particular occurence sent the chicken littles running back to mama dollar for security, which in turn drove up the value of the dollar against the euro slightly. I'd say the situation right now is stable although we are still down against the euro. The result is our exports are still seen as a better deal than Europe's, and at the same time, the dollar has stabilized against the euro somewhat, and the uncertainty in the market has sort of put the talk of the euro replacing the dollar as the de-facto world currency on the shelf for now.

What this has to do with the Iraq and Afghanistan Wars, is next to nothing just as there is pretty much nothing I can think of concerning the wars that impacted our trade outside of some sort of psychological trust or like issue.

For instance, say individuals stopped buying American products in other countries at the individual level, because they did not agree with our war, which in turn lead to a decreased demand for our exports.

Or another example, at one point there was a defacto boycott of French products on the part of many Americans over their refusal to support the Iraq war.

Ultimately though it's this, money talks, and regardless of whether nor people like us, our products were cheaper than those of the EU, and that French boycott didnt burn brightly for long...so really those are little or no factors at all.

However, I promise that taking the war is bad and we are bad for it approach is the right direction to go in seeking this answer. I assure you, whatever answer there is is lies there whether it makes much sense or not.
sounds good brah. i already typed up my answer though. appreciate the help

Don't even talk to me from procrastination. Over the last two days I've been writing five papers, all due today, that I've known about since the first week of the semester. Go me!

i knew about this project from day one. 8-10 pages plus a 20 minute ppt presentation. the final, which this essay was part of, was 10 questions. 5 short answer 5 essay. got it two weeks ago and didn't touch it until sunday. just started on project yesterday as well.
actually i started on it a couple weeks ago, trying to get ahead, but when i went back and looked at the notes i wrote, i had no idea what i was trying to convey so i basically started over

whottt
12-15-2009, 12:25 AM

If I have to write papers or do a shitload of homework, the first thing I do is drop the class or find another one where I don't have to write one or do as much homewok. I hate writing papers and doing homework. And I hate fucking Spanish and foreign languages because you have to do homework in it. Most of the time I am in an argument on this forum is because I have some kind of exam I am supposed to be cramming for. You'd be amazed how fast a day can go by arguing in the political forum. :tu

Nbadan
12-15-2009, 12:41 AM
Honestly, We import other people's shit and send them worthless dollars where the corrupt politicians and robber-barons skim billions and give their employees a meager penance....the thieves take their money and stash it in US treasury bonds because it's still safer than their own shit-hole.....and we borrow it to build schools and homes.....

CuckingFunt
12-15-2009, 02:40 AM
If I have to write papers or do a shitload of homework, the first thing I do is drop the class or find another one where I don't have to write one or do as much homewok.

Then, out of curiosity, what classes do you take? Even my jewelry/small metals and photography classes this semester had homework.

As an art history major, I don't really have the option of avoiding papers. Writing is a pretty big part of the field. Normally I wouldn't have waited so long to start writing, either, but with 19 units, three studio classes, AND all of the running around and time spent getting ready to graduate and applying to grad schools... last thing I wanted to do with my free time was start working on papers early.

symple19
12-15-2009, 02:46 AM
y'all better be serious and not fuck around in this thread

or?

thispego
12-15-2009, 02:47 AM
nothing now, my buddy finished his homework. thanks for following my orders :tu

mookie2001
12-15-2009, 02:50 AM
you did it, you deserrrve it, you tha homework king.

whottt
12-15-2009, 02:58 AM
Then, out of curiosity, what classes do you take? Even my jewelry/small metals and photography classes this semester had homework.

As an art history major, I don't really have the option of avoiding papers. Writing is a pretty big part of the field. Normally I wouldn't have waited so long to start writing, either, but with 19 units, three studio classes, AND all of the running around and time spent getting ready to graduate and applying to grad schools... last thing I wanted to do with my free time was start working on papers early.

Simetimes you can't avoid it, and sometimes the entire purpose of the course it to write papers. In those cases I just deal with it but if there is anyway possible to reduce the homework and paper writing load I will do it. Even if it's something like taking a lower grade because I didn't do it. I did that a whole lot, it actually was kind of a stupid plan because it hurt my GPA, but I am fixing that now by taking classes that don't require homework and paper writing. I am happiest when they just give me a book to read and ask me to take tests. Big huge classes are definitely the way to go for avoiding paperwriting and homework.

admiralsnackbar
12-15-2009, 06:19 AM
Big huge classes are definitely the way to go for avoiding paperwriting and homework.

Was it just me, or was finding such classes harder and harder as you moved up? After sophomore year, I completely stopped having access to huge, slack-friendly lecture courses. YMMV, I guess?

CosmicCowboy
12-15-2009, 09:16 AM

X2

That's the answer your so called "educator" will be looking for...