PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Blair is still a great unknown for Spurs

duncan228
12-14-2009, 11:48 PM
Blair is still a great unknown for Spurs (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/Blair_is_still_a_great_unknown_for_Spurs.html)
Jeff McDonald

PHOENIX — Twenty-one games into his rookie season, Spurs forward DeJuan Blair is still confounding his head coach.

“He's a strange dude,” Gregg Popovich said. “Those things he does out there, I don't know how he gets them done. I don't know what his game is. I don't know what to do with him.”

At 6-foot-7, Blair is undersized for an NBA big man and possesses little semblance of a traditional offensive game. He makes up for those shortcomings with a natural sense for the geometry of rebounding and a motor always turned to its highest setting.

The youngest player to earn a spot in Popovich's rotation since Tony Parker was a teenage rookie, the 20-year-old Blair is averaging 6.1 points and 5.3 rebounds in just 14 minutes, 30 seconds per game. He ranks first among NBA rookies in field goal percentage (61.1 percent) and rebounding rate (17.7 per 48 minutes).

Blair heads into tonight's game against Phoenix fresh off one of his best outings of the year — a 14-point, nine-rebound effort in Sunday's victory at the Clippers.

“He's staying within himself, which is the best part,” Tim Duncan said of Blair. “He's going out there and making the plays we want him to make and playing hard. That's all we expect of him.”

Truth be told, Popovich doesn't know what to expect of Blair each time he dispatches the rookie to the scorer's table. All Popovich does know is that he plans to keep calling Blair's number.

“I'm just going to keep putting him in the game, and whatever he does, he does,” Popovich said. “Because, honest to God, I don't know.”

Bench boost: Blair's production against Los Angeles was part of another stellar outing for the Spurs' bench. Their reserves outscored the Clippers' 57-32, a gulf that would have been wider had L.A. coach Mike Dunleavy not opted to bring Baron Davis (20 points) off the bench for the first time this season.

Through 21 games, the Spurs rank first in the league in bench points (42.9), first in bench rebounds (17.1) and second in bench assists (8.2).

Red Rocket warning: It took an elbow to his right ear during Sunday's game to remind Duncan of something he thought he already knew — it's probably a good idea to avoid Matt Bonner.

The two collided during the third quarter against the Clippers while chasing the same rebound.

“The closer I am to Matt, I end up getting hurt,” Duncan said. “So I try to stay away from him. He's hit me more than one time, and I don't think he's ever apologized.”

ducks
12-14-2009, 11:53 PM
A HOF coach saying, ''I don't know what to do with him''. Very comforting.

called cia:lol

TIMMYD!
12-14-2009, 11:58 PM
Pop know exactly what to do with him but he's just being CIA.

Russ
12-15-2009, 12:01 AM
Blair is still a great unknown for Spurs (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/Blair_is_still_a_great_unknown_for_Spurs.html)
Jeff McDonald

“I'm just going to keep putting him in the game, and whatever he does, he does,” Popovich said. “Because, honest to God, I don't know.”

Don't be fooled. That's actually the highest praise that Pop can have for a new Spur -- once reserved for Ginobili and, before him, Parker.

Pop must see big things ahead to say that (and well he should).

Chieflion
12-15-2009, 12:02 AM
Pop know exactly what to do with him but he's just being CIA.
If you mean bench him when he plays well, then I agree.

Interrohater
12-15-2009, 12:33 AM
If you mean bench him when he plays well, then I agree.

:rolleyes Always the pessimist.

Chieflion
12-15-2009, 12:36 AM
:rolleyes Always the pessimist.
I can't help you if you can't detect the joke.

Interrohater
12-15-2009, 12:41 AM
I really don't see how that's a joke. Seems more like a grumpy guy eating stale potato chips while he scowls at the computer, inadvertently snorting "Bah, humbug!" when he reads anything remotely optimistic.

Chieflion
12-15-2009, 12:53 AM
I really don't see how that's a joke. Seems more like a grumpy guy eating stale potato chips while he scowls at the computer, inadvertently snorting "Bah, humbug!" when he reads anything remotely optimistic.
Did you watch how Blair was pulled out of the game when he was playing well in the 1st half for small ball?

exstatic
12-15-2009, 12:57 AM
You don't know how to use him, Pop? Here's a clue: add ten minutes more per game playing time, and watch the fuck out.

Chieflion
12-15-2009, 12:58 AM
You don't know how to use him, Pop? Here's a clue: add ten minutes more per game playing time, and watch the fuck out.
+1 but where do the minutes come from?

exstatic
12-15-2009, 01:04 AM
+1 but where do the minutes come from?

Bonner. He's a good shooter, but he should be limited to spot minutes. It just seems like there are 5-10 minute stretches when he's just running up and down the court.

I would give Blair an uninterrupted 10-11 minutes per half to get his motor running. Maybe late 1st to early 2nd quarter and late 3rd to Early 4th quarter.

peskypesky
12-15-2009, 01:06 AM

:toast

angelbelow
12-15-2009, 01:13 AM
Sounds like hes being sarcastic.

raspsa
12-15-2009, 01:57 AM
Pop knows good things are likely to happen with Blair on the floor. He's obviously very special for a rookie to get the kind of minutes he's been getting..

phyzik
12-15-2009, 02:18 AM
Pop is just holding his secret weapon until its needed.

Like the Hiroshima bomb, Blair is going to shit all over the opposition when Pop decides to push the button.

The Truth #6
12-15-2009, 02:50 AM
I actually take Pop at his word. It astounds him that a rookie who only speaks one language and can't even drink wine yet - wine! - could contribute to the team. Does not compute...

lennyalderette
12-15-2009, 02:56 AM
I can't help you if you can't detect the joke.
chieflion, are you a female or a male? because i always think youre a girl for some reason, prob the pic, but if you arent i didnt mean to be an ass it was just a ques.

lennyalderette
12-15-2009, 03:05 AM
Don't be fooled. That's actually the highest praise that Pop can have for a new Spur -- once reserved for Ginobili and, before him, Parker.

Pop must see big things ahead to say that (and well he should).

oh yeah you just made me remember hearing pop say " wow hes wild out there its amazing but he has to settle down, i just dont know what to do with him!" about manu, and you never see pop really at a loss for words . Its obviously a very good sign!! san antonio has good karma you know, of course we have an amazing FO but we should also be thankful for the players we've acquired. i wonder if blair would be at the top if griffin was around? prob not as high, but if pop played him 10 or 15 min more who knows? without blair our chances of getting back to the finals wont be as high

Chieflion
12-15-2009, 03:19 AM
chieflion, are you a female or a male? because i always think youre a girl for some reason, prob the pic, but if you arent i didnt mean to be an ass it was just a ques.
I am male. Not everyone who doesn't post sexy pictures of women are female.

:toast

PM5K
12-15-2009, 07:15 AM
"he's hit me more than one time, and i don't think he's ever apologized.”

lol

ElNono
12-15-2009, 07:39 AM
Through 21 games, the Spurs rank first in the league in bench points (42.9), first in bench rebounds (17.1) and second in bench assists (8.2).

:hat

hater
12-15-2009, 10:49 AM
Pop trolling spursfans

Fabbs
12-15-2009, 10:55 AM
He ranks first among NBA rookies in field goal percentage (61.1 percent) and rebounding rate (17.7 per 48 minutes).

He ranks 1st-2nd in rebounding rate amoung ALL NBA players, not just rookies. (Actually he and DHoward keep flip flopping 1st and 2nd 17.8 to 17.7)

FG% he is 3rd amoung ALL NBA players.

Yet PopaFinley doesn't know what to do with him. :lmao

Manufan909
12-15-2009, 11:00 AM

I wonder if Blair's numbers would go up half as much if he got half as much PT. I'm guessing yes.:p:

boutons_deux
12-15-2009, 11:14 AM
Red Rocket, our very own Mark Madsen.

Ed Helicopter Jones
12-15-2009, 12:01 PM
It appears that his little slump is over...

His per-48 min rebound numbers:

Games 1-7: 18.6 total, 6.2 offensive
Games 8-14: 14.5 total, 3.3 offensive
Games 15-21: 18.7 total, 7.2 offensive

It looks as if his first few games were mostly adrenaline, then he exhaled a bit, and now he's settling in. I think he'll just keep getting better.

LOL@MavsFan
12-15-2009, 12:03 PM
I agree w/ Pop...I never know what to expect, but I know it will be something good. Keep it up Blair!

hater
12-15-2009, 12:09 PM
Pop has been saying the same thing about Manu for the last 5 years

angelbelow
12-15-2009, 02:41 PM
This guy needs a highlight reel with him in a Spurs uniform.

YoMamaIsCallin
12-15-2009, 02:43 PM

I'll have you know my potato chips are FRESH.

You young whippersnapper.

YoMamaIsCallin
12-15-2009, 02:46 PM
Red Rocket, our very own Mark Madsen.

You're stuck in the "you can only compare white players to white players" fallacy. Maddog Madsen and Bonner are very different players.

Phenomanul
12-15-2009, 02:50 PM
I wonder if Blair's numbers would go up half as much if he got half as much PT. I'm guessing yes.:p:

Only if paired with Manu... Ginobili seems to consistently find easy buckets for Blair. His latest resurgence coinciding with Ginobili's is proof of that.

Mr Bones
12-15-2009, 03:53 PM
Blair is statistically the second best rebounder per minute in the NBA after Dwight Howard. http://www.nba.com/statistics/player/Rebounds.jsp?league=00&season=22009&conf=OVERALL&position=0&splitType=9&qualified=Y&yearsExp=-1&sortOrder=7&splitDD=All%20Teams

And since rebounding was one of the weaknesses of the Spurs last season, it seems pretty clear what Blair will provide. Pop's just being a little coy here.

elbamba
12-15-2009, 04:01 PM
Blair is hands down becoming my favorite player to watch, besides Manu of course. I got a little frustrated when he was not the first PF to come off the bench because it seemed like the Spurs controlled all aspects of the game against the Clippers when he was in.

I do have to agree with Reggie Miller and say that in the offseason Blair needs to contact Sir Charles and work on some of the different aspects of his game, including a jump shot. If he does that he could really be great.

angelbelow
12-15-2009, 06:05 PM
Blair is hands down becoming my favorite player to watch, besides Manu of course. I got a little frustrated when he was not the first PF to come off the bench because it seemed like the Spurs controlled all aspects of the game against the Clippers when he was in.

I do have to agree with Reggie Miller and say that in the offseason Blair needs to contact Sir Charles and work on some of the different aspects of his game, including a jump shot. If he does that he could really be great.

I think he has a great feel for post play. He seems to handle it very naturally and each game he gets better. Sir Charles can only help so much but his confidence and body language in the low post is very good thing.

If he were to add a consistent jump shot he would be a big impact player for us next year. He may even get Manu like minutes in the 20-30 range.

EmptyMan
12-15-2009, 06:21 PM

*proud mother tear*

wildbill2u
12-15-2009, 06:47 PM
Take Pop at his word. He's truly amazed. Who can understand a 6'7" rookie big doing what he does. It's almost like he's made a pack with the devil or something.

Jason R
12-15-2009, 06:55 PM
...Pact.

yavozerb
12-15-2009, 07:07 PM
Blair's defense has been his greatest improvement since game 1. The guy has always been a capable scorer around the rim, but lately his defense has been much better and that is what is going to get him on the court more, not his offense.

Wildcat67
12-15-2009, 07:52 PM
While I agree his defense has improved drastically since the beginning of the season it's still his biggest weakness. Not really because of his physical limitations but simply because he's a rookie and isn't confident on knowing where to go on defense all the time.

He will get more and more playing time when he becomes more and more reliable on the defensive end.

He also calls for the ball WAY too much.

Interrohater
12-15-2009, 07:58 PM
While I agree his defense has improved drastically since the beginning of the season it's still his biggest weakness. Not really because of his physical limitations but simply because he's a rookie and isn't confident on knowing where to go on defense all the time.

He will get more and more playing time when he becomes more and more reliable on the defensive end.

He also calls for the ball WAY too much.

All good points. I too have noticed how much he calls for the ball, however, it's because he's so open! I don't know how many times I've seen him set a pick, roll to the basket and be absolutely wide open. The PG at the time usually is either not looking at him or just bypasses him. It sucks, but it'll get there.

Interrohater
12-15-2009, 08:00 PM
You're stuck in the "you can only compare white players to white players" fallacy. Maddog Madsen and Bonner are very different players.

:lol yes! Or if there's a lighter-skinned WR in the NFL, "He reminds me of Wes Welker."

Wildcat67
12-15-2009, 08:14 PM
All good points. I too have noticed how much he calls for the ball, however, it's because he's so open! I don't know how many times I've seen him set a pick, roll to the basket and be absolutely wide open. The PG at the time usually is either not looking at him or just bypasses him. It sucks, but it'll get there.

I think he "thinks" he's open. He is open at times but only for a split-second. Not enough time for the ballhandler to find a passing lane and hit him.

Interrohater
12-15-2009, 08:27 PM
I think he "thinks" he's open. He is open at times but only for a split-second. Not enough time for the ballhandler to find a passing lane and hit him.

This may be true at times, but I do specifically remember certain instances where he has been completely open because his man stayed behind to guard, and so our PG has sort of a double team while his defender is in limbo. Trust, it does happen. Watch it tonight, it'll probably happen a few times.

Wildcat67
12-15-2009, 08:40 PM
You're right, but I'm saying for every time he's open calling for the ball there's 3-4 times he's not open calling for the ball.

But hey, great players WANT the ball.

exstatic
12-15-2009, 08:42 PM

That's why Manu finds him. Manu sees players who WILL be open in a second.

I think Blair's sweet spot is somewhere in the 25-28 minute range. He could be HUGELY effective in that kind of timeframe. If he cleaned up his FTs (I don't know why his % is so low. His form is good, he's just frequently long) I think he could be a 15/10 player.

Interrohater
12-15-2009, 08:50 PM
If he cleaned up his FTs (I don't know why his % is so low. His form is good, he's just frequently long) I think he could be a 15/10 player.

Haha, I think he's airballed like three times, maybe only twice. But he was all "Oh shit!" one time all loud on TV. :lol

qiuyizeng
12-15-2009, 08:51 PM
but wugui said ,I don't know! I think blair is the big fat panda,he is the true dragon warrior!

Fabbs
12-16-2009, 02:00 AM
Why does Lord Poppycock seldom play Blair with Duncan?

5in10
12-16-2009, 02:22 AM
You're right, but I'm saying for every time he's open calling for the ball there's 3-4 times he's not open calling for the ball.

But hey, great players WANT the ball.

there was many times against the suns where he was open and the ball handler just didn't find him. Blair works well with the space given to him, he uses it to find an open passing angle between him and the ball handler which would ususally result in an easy basket. People just need to actually find him in those situations. I do think it's funny when he immediately posts up and calls for the ball though...p.s. Does anyone else think that Tony has a hard time finding Blair? He either doesn't see him or turns it over trying to get it to him...

ElNono
12-16-2009, 02:27 AM
Blair needs to work on his fouls... It's the only knock on him, really. He just hustles like there's no tomorrow, and you couldn't ask for more.

The Truth #6
12-16-2009, 02:34 AM
I think Blair has showed great progress even just from the Boston game. Many of the Spurs are playing soft, but not Blair. Watching him back in on Amare was impressive. I don't think anyone intimidates him...except Pop. I guess Pop's tough love is motivational technique. Whatever works I guess, but he should find more minutes for him. Pop talks about Blair as if he's a mystery when in fact Dice is the one that plays like a complete mystery.

Manufan909
12-16-2009, 03:11 AM
I think Blair has showed great progress even just from the Boston game. Many of the Spurs are playing soft, but not Blair. Watching him back in on Amare was impressive. I don't think anyone intimidates him...except Pop. I guess Pop's tough love is motivational technique. Whatever works I guess, but he should find more minutes for him. Pop talks about Blair as if he's a mystery when in fact Dice is the one that plays like a complete mystery.

Who all blocked Blair anyways?