PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Pop: No more excuses

duncan228
12-15-2009, 12:10 AM
Pop: No more excuses (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/Pop_No_more_excuses.html)
Jeff McDonald

PHOENIX — In the past few weeks, the Spurs have crowned the Kings, battered the Bobcats, and clobbered the Clippers. They have whipped both the Wizards and the Warriors and have 86'ed the 76ers.

On their way to a 12-9 record, the Spurs have feasted — heartily — on a diet consisting mostly of cupcakes. When forced to take on meatier fare, however, the Spurs have mostly choked on it, going 2-8 this season against teams that were over .500 heading into Monday's slate.

“We still need a couple quality wins against quality teams,” forward Richard Jefferson said. “That's something I think we're lacking.”

Tonight in Phoenix, against the 16-8 Suns, the Spurs have a chance to address that hole in their résumé.

They have proven they can dominate the league's dregs, winning their last three games — over Sacramento, Charlotte and the Los Angeles Clippers — by an average of 19 points. Now, the Spurs would like to prove, to themselves as much as anybody, that they can beat the NBA's upper crust.

“There are some teams we haven't played as well as we've liked against,” said Jefferson, who has averaged 19 points during the three-game winning streak. “As we start to get more growth, I think good things will start to happen.”

As has been their annual custom, the Spurs started the season slowly, hovering around .500 while breaking in a bevy of new players.

Before his team boarded its flight to Phoenix, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich served notice that the summertime roster renovation will no longer be considered a viable excuse for poor play against good teams.

“We've given up a lot of games already,” Popovich said. “There are more good teams, and they're too damn good. So while we're trying to get everything in order, we've got to focus a lot better, a lot more quickly. We've taken enough time.”

The Spurs have won eight of their past 11 to scoot above .500, but just one of those wins came against a team with a winning record (Houston). The three losses during that span came to Boston, Denver, and Utah, all in a row.

With that as the backdrop, the Spurs will use tonight's game to gauge their progress against an elite team.

That represents quite a turnabout for the Suns, who spent much of this decade weighing themselves against the Spurs — and whose perennial failure to measure up cost Mike D'Antoni his job after the 2007-08 season.

No longer hampered by a Shaquille O'Neal-sized anchor to drag down their running game, the Suns have returned to the fast-breaking style that made them an offensive circus under D'Antoni. They have won 17 consecutive games at US Airways Center, dating to last season.

With point guard Steve Nash returning to All-Star form, Phoenix has scored 100 points in 35 straight home games, the longest streak in the league.

“It's a very big game for us,” Spurs forward Tim Duncan said. “As bad as we've been on the road, as bad as we've been against some of the better teams in the league, both of those are motivating factors. It could be a good confidence builder for us.”

First, however, the Spurs have to win.

In their last three entanglements against upper echelon teams, the Spurs were in the game late but couldn't make the one or two plays necessary to win. None of those defeats came by more than seven points.

Heading into Phoenix, those experiences offer the Spurs a modicum of hope.

“It's not like we're getting completely outplayed,” Jefferson said.

“I think as we get a little more familiar as a group, instead of losing those games by two, we'll start winning those games by two.”

By two or by 20, the Spurs will take a win in Phoenix any way it will come.

Spursmania
12-15-2009, 12:13 AM
Thanks Duncan228.

Can't wait.:hungry:

ezau
12-15-2009, 02:34 AM
Great quotes from RJ.

The Truth #6
12-15-2009, 02:42 AM
Very good article. The author, like the team, is much improved.

alchemist
12-15-2009, 03:33 AM
“It's not like we're getting completely outplayed,” Jefferson said.

“I think as we get a little more familiar as a group, instead of losing those games by two, we'll start winning those games by two.”
/article

#2!
12-15-2009, 04:11 AM
glad to hear that there are no longer any options other than just doing whatever it takes to win

Chieflion
12-15-2009, 04:14 AM
I like the sound of that. No excuses from Spurstalk sounds good too.

lurker23
12-15-2009, 04:31 AM
Great article. While I don't think the Suns game (or any regular season game for that matter) is a definitive measuring stick, I think this will be a great game to see if Manu's and RJ's re-emergence over the past couple days is real or just held up by weak teams. Granted, their offensive numbers will be inflated by the Suns' style, and I fully expect both of them to score 15+ even if they have bad games, but we should be able to tell by the flow of the game how far the integration process has really come.

whottt
12-15-2009, 04:36 AM
Pop hasn't even used the soft speech yet...

silverblackfan
12-15-2009, 07:49 AM
Great to hear the team feeling a sense of urgency. You know it is there, but good to hear it. Phoenix vs. Spurs games are always fun. I am really looking forward to it.
Go Spurs!

urunobili
12-15-2009, 08:14 AM

That's generally mid January... :wakeup

admiralsnackbar
12-15-2009, 08:25 AM
Very good article. The author, like the team, is much improved.

I find it odd that I'm happiest to hear a kind word for McDonald... poor bastard has gotten precious little acceptance since he came on, deservedly or not.

DBMethos
12-15-2009, 09:01 AM
With that as the backdrop, the Spurs will use tonight's game to gauge their progress against an elite team.

Fail.

mando6599
12-15-2009, 09:56 AM

Thought you left us? Good to have you back, whottt.

Chomag
12-15-2009, 11:39 PM
A bump for those that are still using the old excuses.

SequSpur
12-16-2009, 12:04 AM
Spurs can't beat good teams, they barely beat shitty teams...

This team has a shitload of talent but no clue on the court...

This team lacks a whole bunch of shit...

Pop's fault.

ElNono
12-16-2009, 12:04 AM
So.... let's hear it... what happened?

DesignatedT
12-16-2009, 12:05 AM
only one thing has become obvious at this point in the season.

more matt bonner

Sean Cagney
12-16-2009, 12:07 AM
BLOWN OUT, this team just is not that good right not and I accept it! Utterly pathetic at times.

draft87
12-16-2009, 12:10 AM
Spurs can't beat good teams, they barely beat shitty teams...

This team has a shitload of talent but no clue on the court...

This team lacks a whole bunch of shit...

Pop's fault.

only one thing has become obvious at this point in the season.

more matt bonner

lol

Rather have Massive Blair. He is such a valuable asset if he learns to control his fouls.

I had to wait for a fourth member to post...more accurately, the fourth but first member who wasn't part of the Big 3.

SequSpur, DesignatedT, and init2winit are the official Big 3 of the San Antonio Fairweather Cliffjumpers

Chomag
12-24-2009, 12:09 AM
A shamefull bump! :angel

HarlemHeat37
12-24-2009, 12:13 AM
Pop has just become way too soft..

Spursox
12-24-2009, 12:20 AM
I see Pop getting thrown out of the next game to show some passion and heart!

slick'81
12-24-2009, 12:25 AM
this team is just lost right now. its like they forgot how to win big games

Spursox
12-24-2009, 12:43 AM
Peter Holt! Time to start getting on someones ass! How is last years team better than this year?