View Full Version : Jefferson returns, practices with Nets

ducks
04-23-2005, 09:59 PM
Jefferson returns, practices with Nets
April 22, 2005

Photo
AP - Apr 21, 4:11 pm EDT
More Photos
EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) -- All-Star forward Richard Jefferson practiced with New Jersey for the first time in nearly four months on Friday, two days before the Nets take on the Miami Heat in the opening round of the playoffs.

``It feels good,'' Jefferson said. ``It was kind of funny going on the court. Everybody was laughing and making fun of me. My wind wasn't as strong as I would like, but it was good.''

Jefferson said he isn't worried about playing a major role for the Nets, who won 15 of their final 19 games to secure the eighth and final Eastern Conference spot in the last game of the regular season.

``I'm not trying to come in and say I'm playing 15 minutes or 20 minutes. If they give me five minutes, that's what I'll play. If it's 20, I'll play 20,'' Jefferson said.

That late-season surge was led by All-Stars Jason Kidd and Vince Carter, who joined New Jersey in December.

``The first game Vince played was actually the game where I hurt my hand, so we've never been healthy throughout. Right now, this is Vince and J Kidd's team, and I'm just trying to come out and help the team any way I can,'' said Jefferson, who had a torn ligament in his left wrist.

Before he was injured Dec. 27 against Detroit, Jefferson was having the best season of his NBA career, averaging 22.2 points in 33 games. He had surgery on Jan. 20 and had a cast removed on March 14.

ADVERTISEMENT
click here
Kidd said Jefferson is going to be able to defend and should be able to help the Nets.

``I thought he looked great,'' Kidd said. ``For the stuff that we did, it was quick and short, he felt comfortable. It's a matter of getting game-ready. There's no better way than (playing) Sunday.''

Kidd said the Nets need the same urgency they had the last month against the top-seeded Heat, who beat New Jersey in all three matchups during the season.

``We have to play our best basketball in order to have any chance against Miami,'' Kidd said. ``We're very confident, but we understand it's the playoffs. You throw out the records ... it's the first one to four.''

Carter said Jefferson has ``training camp legs.''

``I think you can utilize his energy, his fresh legs and ability to score and do a lot of things. He'll be fine,'' Carter said.

The Nets have made the playoffs for four straight years, a franchise record.

Leetonidas
04-23-2005, 11:25 PM
If RJ is good-to-go against Miami, Diesel and Flash may have a long series ahead of them.

Dre_7
04-23-2005, 11:42 PM
Thats assuming RJ is not too rusty.

Crafty One
04-24-2005, 08:20 AM
I saw that he will hit upto 15-22 feet out with an open shot. That was in an article I read. If all he can do is play defence and hit jumpersFefferson should help the Nets :hat

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-24-2005, 12:40 PM
All you have to do is play off him so he can't beat you off the dribble, and he's toast.

Brodels
04-24-2005, 01:49 PM
I worry about him trying to do too much. With the way Vince and Kidd have been playing, the Nets will suffer if a rusty Jefferson takes away too many shots from those two. I think he could do more harm than good right now. He likes to shoot the ball.

I think the Nets could be very dangerous next season if they could find a way to move Jefferson for a pretty good big man. If Kidd stays healthy and Vince stays motivated, they are a good inside presence away from being very balanced and dangerous on the offensive end. Depth is another issue, but in the east, you can get by with what they've got.

They have to move either Vince or Jefferson in the offseason. I would try to move Jefferson. If healthy and motivated (and those are big 'ifs'), Vince can be a stud with Kidd manning the point. Vince is the better player.