PDA

View Full Version : UT Faculty Mad at Mack's raise

Whisky Dog
12-15-2009, 03:23 PM
AUSTIN, Texas (AP) -- Some University of Texas faculty question whether football coach Mack Brown is worth $5 million annually when the school faces tough budget choices.
University system regents last week decided Brown deserved more money, raising his annual pay from $3 million. The Longhorns on Jan. 7 will face fellow unbeaten Alabama for the BCS championship.
A resolution approved Monday, in an informal vote during a UT Faculty Council meeting, said the $5 million deal was "unseemly and inappropriate." The group lacked a quorum for an official vote.
UT President William Powers Jr. says the athletic program, under Brown, has had no subsidies or deficits and has channeled $6.6 million into academic programs in recent years.
Brown's salary is paid with money raised by athletic department revenues.

Hmm, looks to me somebody forgot to tell them that the year before Mack came to Texas the football program made $22 million. This year they made approx $87 million. $65 mil extra per year seems to be well worth the $5 mil they're paying. Actually, it looks a bit low when you look at how much extra $$$ he has been directly responsible for generating.

mookie2001
12-15-2009, 03:28 PM
if they can afford it they can pay what they want. i wasnt exactly happy when i heard though. give it one more season and theyll be an even higher paid coach

Doug Collins
12-15-2009, 03:30 PM
They should ban those profs from accepting any funding generated by the athletic program, then ask them how they feel about it. Mack is probably the most visible representative of the school and should be paid accordingly.

K-State Spur
12-15-2009, 03:40 PM
On one hand, the program does bring in a lot of money and is a terrific marketing tool.

On the other hand, they are absolutely right that schools over-emphasize athletics. It's not changing any time soon - but it is true.

Whisky Dog
12-15-2009, 03:50 PM
On one hand, the program does bring in a lot of money and is a terrific marketing tool.

On the other hand, they are absolutely right that schools over-emphasize athletics. It's not changing any time soon - but it is true.

Yeah, but our country and economy is founded on a supply and demand system and when the demand for Texas Football is through the roof and people are paying big $$$ for it the chief players responsible for the supply are going to make a killing. You're right, that's never going to change, but I don't think it should. If you generate a ton of cash you deserve a good piece - it's performance based compensation and that's what we all want.

mookie2001
12-15-2009, 03:58 PM
they dont emphasize athletics, they emphasize FOOTBALL

there are only a handfull of schools in america that make money off of basketball, and no other sports come close to making a significant profit.

i know $5 M is too much to pay a coach but these guys speaking out should try to go a beautiful mind or neil armstrong or something. step your game up

Blake
12-15-2009, 05:03 PM
Brown's salary is paid with money raised by athletic department revenues.

I thought UT faculty members were smart.

DMX7
12-15-2009, 05:08 PM
I thought UT faculty members were smart.

They are. Doesn't mean they don't have a right to be upset at the startling contrast between his raise and their layoffs. Even if it is a good business decision, it's still frustrating to see that, I would imagine.

Blake
12-15-2009, 05:26 PM
They are. Doesn't mean they don't have a right to be upset at the startling contrast between his raise and their layoffs. Even if it is a good business decision, it's still frustrating to see that, I would imagine.

They really don't have much of a right to be upset.

Athletics are primarily self funding and UT is #1 at raising cash.

If it was a number of other school athletic budgets that are strapped for cash and having to borrow money directly from the school (i.e. A&M) that would be one thing. But Texas has money coming out of it's ass and the faculty are jealous that they aren't getting a direct cut of some kind.

K-State Spur
12-15-2009, 05:32 PM
Yeah, but our country and economy is founded on a supply and demand system and when the demand for Texas Football is through the roof and people are paying big $$$ for it the chief players responsible for the supply are going to make a killing. You're right, that's never going to change, but I don't think it should. If you generate a ton of cash you deserve a good piece - it's performance based compensation and that's what we all want.

I think what SHOULD change is the society where boosters are more willing to fund giant scoreboards than they are chemistry labs.

-says the guy on a sports message forum.

It's not going to change though - at least not soon.

Holmes_Fans
12-15-2009, 05:38 PM
I think what SHOULD change is the society where boosters are more willing to fund giant scoreboards than they are chemistry labs.

-says the guy on a sports message forum.

It's not going to change though - at least not soon.

I'm sure they get a crap load of money from alumni that goes towards academics. Plenty of rich people graduate from Texas, doctors, scientists ect., there is a reason people pay tens of thousands a semester to go there.

----

In 2007-2008

Total sports revenue

1. Texas – $120.3 million
2. Ohio State – $118 million
3. Florida – $106 million
4. Michigan – $99 million
5. Wisconsin – $93.5 million
6. Penn State – $91.6 million
7. Auburn – $89.3 million
8. Alabama – $88.9 million
9. Tennessee – $88.7 million
10. Oklahoma State – $88.6 million

Football revenue

1. Texas $72.95 million
2. Georgia $67.05 million
3. Florida $66.1 million
4. Ohio State University $65.16 million
5. Notre Dame $59.77 million
6. Auburn $59.67 million
7. Michigan $57.46 million
8. Alabama $57.37 million
9. Penn State $53.76 million
10. Louisiana State University $52.68 million

Plus the athletic department has given up to $6 million to academics the past couple years. It's a college, not a HS, if they want to focus on sports they can. No one forces the students to pay $20,000 a year to go there.

K-State Spur
12-15-2009, 07:37 PM
I'm not arguing otherwise.

I'm only saying that in an ideal world (not this one), the funding would be 90:1 academics:football.

johngateswhiteley
12-16-2009, 09:53 PM
It was interesting news...

1. Brown isn't the best coach in the country
2. He wasn't going anywhere
3. I doubt he's unhappy

...so the raise probably could have waited or never come. t.u. had come off some average years before Mack got there, so its not like any other good coach couldn't have restored that cash cow. Imo, he probably deserved a raise, but the timing is off and it does seem excessive.

K-State Spur
12-16-2009, 11:56 PM
Brown's a good coach. But to have only 2 conference titles in 12 years with the resources, recruiting base, and fan support available to him does not make for the best coach in the country.

Up until two weeks ago, Bill Snyder had just as many conference titles, 11 win seasons, and only one fewer BCS bowl appearances - with FAR FAR FAR less advantages.

Plus, any coach who goes 0-2 against Ron Prince is ineligible for being called the best coach in the country.

Mack's a solid coach, but there are a lot of guys who could win - and win BIG - at texas.

johngateswhiteley
12-17-2009, 04:01 AM
Brown's a good coach. But to have only 2 conference titles in 12 years with the resources, recruiting base, and fan support available to him does not make for the best coach in the country.

Up until two weeks ago, Bill Snyder had just as many conference titles, 11 win seasons, and only one fewer BCS bowl appearances - with FAR FAR FAR less advantages.

Plus, any coach who goes 0-2 against Ron Prince is ineligible for being called the best coach in the country.

Mack's a solid coach, but there are a lot of guys who could win - and win BIG - at texas.

I was about to chime in, but it looks like I don't have to now, lol. Brown's a good coach, but I do think there are coaches who would done more at t.u., all things equal.

1. Carroll
2. Meyer
3. Saban

...I can say, strongly, that those are better coaches and most won't disagree. But, and I'll ruffle some feathers, I think mike riley, Jim harbough, Petrino and les miles are also better....and you could make an argument for others.

Although, being the head coach of t.u isn't just about coaching football, and Mack does 'those' things very well.

Whisky Dog
12-17-2009, 10:45 AM
There's no doubt Mack's not the best coach in the country, but I don't think there are a lot of people that could do great at Texas. To win at Texas you have to recruit Texas, and I have doubts the north east and New England guys could recruit Texas anywhere near Mack. Mack is the good 'ol southern boy and his personality has allowed him to set up a pipeline with Texas HS coaches as well as relate to recruits and parents in Texas. The part that was always missing was the Xs and Os and the great defensive coach and top assistants around him to take the program into NC contender status, and that has happened in recent years especially now with Muschamp who is helping to recruit top notch talent outside of Texas too such as Jordan Hicks.

leemajors
12-17-2009, 11:28 AM
Carroll is just as much of a recruiter/coach as Mack is. Les Miles is not what I would call a great coach either - his game/clock management is godawful.

Whisky Dog
12-17-2009, 11:38 AM
Carroll is just as much of a recruiter/coach as Mack is. Les Miles is not what I would call a great coach either - his game/clock management is godawful.

It's not just about being a recruiter, it's about being able to effectively recruit your target area. Carroll's laid back liberal type personality is perfect for recruiting California and other similar areas but might not be ideal for recruiting more conservative areas like the south. Mack's is tailor made for recruiting Texas.

K-State Spur
12-17-2009, 12:18 PM
There's no doubt Mack's not the best coach in the country, but I don't think there are a lot of people that could do great at Texas. To win at Texas you have to recruit Texas, and I have doubts the north east and New England guys could recruit Texas anywhere near Mack. Mack is the good 'ol southern boy and his personality has allowed him to set up a pipeline with Texas HS coaches as well as relate to recruits and parents in Texas. The part that was always missing was the Xs and Os and the great defensive coach and top assistants around him to take the program into NC contender status, and that has happened in recent years especially now with Muschamp who is helping to recruit top notch talent outside of Texas too such as Jordan Hicks.

Leach (California) & Sherman (Northeast) have both recruited well in Texas, both doing so at schools that don't have quite the national prestige of UT. Even Mackovic recruited well to the school, just didn't know what do with 'em once they were there.

What held Texas back in previous years was the dying SWC. Once they got into the Big 12 (and got a MUCH MUCH sweeter deal than they should have), a lot of coaches could pick whatever recruits they wanted from within the borders.

None of that is to take anything away from what Mack Brown has done. Hell, he recruited well to North Carolina too.

Kermit
12-17-2009, 01:05 PM
and got a MUCH MUCH sweeter deal than they should have

What? The lack of partial qualifiers?

Whisky Dog
12-17-2009, 01:15 PM
Leach (California) & Sherman (Northeast) have both recruited well in Texas, both doing so at schools that don't have quite the national prestige of UT. Even Mackovic recruited well to the school, just didn't know what do with 'em once they were there.

What held Texas back in previous years was the dying SWC. Once they got into the Big 12 (and got a MUCH MUCH sweeter deal than they should have), a lot of coaches could pick whatever recruits they wanted from within the borders.

None of that is to take anything away from what Mack Brown has done. Hell, he recruited well to North Carolina too.

Texas is the #1 hotbed for pure football talent in the nation so a lot of coaches can recruit well, but it's not about just that. It's about building that pipeline where you pull in the best of the best consistently, and Mack is now doing that consistently. Sure there are many factors - Leach runs a pass heavy offense so his system is appealing to some QBs and especially receivers - which is why is beat recruits were Welker and Crabtree - both receivers. Sherman brings his NFL experience and can play the "Ill get you ready for the NFL because Ive been there" card.

That said, Mack has done a great job of siphoning the cream off the top of the pool and now with Muschamp are also looking to be able to raid other states for their top player.

K-State Spur
12-17-2009, 01:24 PM
What? The lack of partial qualifiers?

9-3 vote for any changes, no shared TV revenue, TV contracts with an exclusive rights windows. not only caters well to UT, but helps to hold the have-nots in the conference down.

benefactor
12-17-2009, 01:37 PM
Whoever said Mack Brown is a good football coach is just wrong. He wins because his teams are more talented that the team on the other side of the ball. Plus anyone who allows Greg Davis to continue to exist is not very smart football-wise.

Whisky Dog pretty much hit it on the head. Brown has the inside line on almost every top recruit in the best high school football state in the nation. You couple that with a promising young defensive coordinator and you got a recipe for a team that can compete nationally every single year...mostly on talent alone. For these reasons, no one should complain about the raise.

mookie2001
12-17-2009, 01:44 PM
lester miles is better than mack brown?

hyeah right

youre better off listing coaches with one good season in a row, harbaugh, dabo sweeney, mike stoops

elbamba
12-17-2009, 01:47 PM
People don't pay $20 to watch someone take a math test or write a term paper on Kant. Get over it, he is worth every penny they pay him. Longhorns care about winning.

Blake
12-17-2009, 03:09 PM
Who's the best coach in the country if not Mack Brown?

.....as has already been said....

Brown is the best recruiter in the country, hands down.

He's a mediocre/average Xs and Os coach though, imo.

Kermit
12-17-2009, 03:12 PM

You are correct sir.

mookie2001
12-17-2009, 03:32 PM
i disagree. thats the reasoning fans of opposing teams use to explain loss after loss to texas- its because texas gets the best of the best, its easy to recruit to austin, they dont recruit, they select, etc...then when they lose hes coach february

if he recruits a wr in high school and moves him to corner, is that not x's and o's? if he gets VY on campus and changes the offense to zone read, is that not x's and o's? lamarr houston to DT, drew kelson to LB is that not x's and o's

to me that is, its not a gamplan or matchup but its x's and o's. im not saying brown revolutionalized modern football, but mediocre? please, you could certainly argue the guys better at "x's and o's" are just as good recruiters, meyer, saban, carroll, its all related

LOL texans
12-17-2009, 03:38 PM
5 million well spent

Most faculty member probably don't give a damn about Texas football, so they don't get it I guess.

In10se
12-17-2009, 03:55 PM
I remember Will Muschamp saying that football isn't as much about Xs and Os as Willie and Joe's.

mookie2001
12-17-2009, 03:57 PM
an age old saying more about effort and execution than recruiting

In10se
12-17-2009, 04:01 PM
He meant it in reference to the importance of recruiting well and how that relates to coaching in the piece I heard him speak on. He said that's why he's so big into recruiting and going the extra mile to get guys that fit your program. Probably why he loves working at Texas so much, that's Mack's specialty.

K-State Spur
12-17-2009, 04:09 PM
5 million well spent

Most faculty member probably don't give a damn about Texas football, so they don't get it I guess.

yeah...don't they know what the school is for?

Blake
12-17-2009, 04:09 PM
if he recruits a wr in high school and moves him to corner, is that not x's and o's? if he gets VY on campus and changes the offense to zone read, is that not x's and o's? lamarr houston to DT, drew kelson to LB is that not x's and o's

to me that is, its not a gamplan or matchup but its x's and o's. im not saying brown revolutionalized modern football, but mediocre? please, you could certainly argue the guys better at "x's and o's" are just as good recruiters, meyer, saban, carroll, its all related

nothing you just said makes any kind of argument for Mack being better than mediocre/average as an Xs/Os coach.

I think the reason I see him as mediocre is because he appears to let the coordinators do all the work.

Blake
12-17-2009, 04:11 PM
yeah...don't they know what the school is for?

don't they know how Brown earns his paycheck?

mookie2001
12-17-2009, 04:15 PM
moving an X to an O and installing a new offense isnt x's and o's i hear ya

i know how yall work, if he wins, who couldnt with all that talent! and if he losses, just a mediocre coach getting outcoached

K-State Spur
12-17-2009, 04:38 PM
don't they know how Brown earns his paycheck?

I'm on record that I don't have a problem with the raise whatsoever. It makes 100% sense in the economics of collegiate athletics.

But I'm not going to fault the faculty for their complaints either. It's a knock against our society and collegiate institutions that more money is invested in football than any educational department.

K-State Spur
12-17-2009, 04:40 PM
moving an X to an O and installing a new offense isnt x's and o's i hear ya

i know how yall work, if he wins, who couldnt with all that talent! and if he losses, just a mediocre coach getting outcoached

It may not be right, but it's about the only advantage that he doesn't have compared to most other coaches.

symple19
12-17-2009, 04:48 PM
Give the dude his scrilla - Production = $$$$$$

also, I don't think he's a bad x/o guy. Even if he's not the best one of those, he is definitely one of the best big picture guys, i.e. recruiting/admin/preparation/implementation <--- this is maybe the most important aspect of coaching now anyway.

Finally, as an outsider, it seems he runs a pretty clean program. That is always a good thing.

In10se
12-17-2009, 04:57 PM
Isn't the football program not only self funding, but funding pretty much the other athletic programs as well as contributing to the academics as well? It said they put $6 million into the university over the last couple of years, so how is there any reason for the faculty to complain?

I might not have this right, but it looks like the football program is a big money making machine that not only supports itself but also many other parts of the university too.

elbamba
12-18-2009, 03:55 PM
I'm on record that I don't have a problem with the raise whatsoever. It makes 100% sense in the economics of collegiate athletics.

But I'm not going to fault the faculty for their complaints either. It's a knock against our society and collegiate institutions that more money is invested in football than any educational department.

But if that institution brings in more money than academics and then can give money to the different departments in the school every one wins. Certainly more money is good for everyone at the university and that is what you get with Brown.

The Reckoning
12-18-2009, 04:03 PM
they're pissed because several profs are getting canned after this year, and the school is raising tuition because of the "bad economy" (thak God for the Texas Tomorrow Fund.)

then they go and give the head football coach a raise like this. i can see where the profs are coming from, but i agree that Mack has done a shit ton for the school.

johngateswhiteley
12-18-2009, 07:32 PM
.....as has already been said....

Not many outside the state of Texas would agree. And based upon the only measuring medium we have, you are incorrect.

He's in the top 5, though.

O-Factor
12-19-2009, 12:46 PM
Whoever said Mack Brown is a good football coach is just wrong. He wins because his teams are more talented that the team on the other side of the ball. Plus anyone who allows Greg Davis to continue to exist is not very smart football-wise.

Whisky Dog pretty much hit it on the head. Brown has the inside line on almost every top recruit in the best high school football state in the nation. You couple that with a promising young defensive coordinator and you got a recipe for a team that can compete nationally every single year...mostly on talent alone. For these reasons, no one should complain about the raise.

Recruiting is HALF of what it takes to be a college head football coach. Brown is one of the best as is a large part of the reason why he has been so successful.

Just a bunch of hippie-keep Austin weird professors and Phd's who are jealous of the money allocated to the football program.

chrisattsu
12-20-2009, 12:27 AM
they're pissed because several profs are getting canned after this year, and the school is raising tuition because of the "bad economy" (thak God for the Texas Tomorrow Fund.)

then they go and give the head football coach a raise like this. i can see where the profs are coming from, but i agree that Mack has done a shit ton for the school.

If their fields become financially viable (or they obtain funding) then they have a reason to bitch. I have many problems with UT, but unlike many schools in the state, they do not put their budget on the back of the students/admin budget. In terms of athletics, they are totally independent, so if they want to give their coach a raise, more power to to them.