PDA

View Full Version : I Think We Should Go After Camby

Ginobili2Duncan
12-15-2009, 08:14 PM
I still think we need one more shot blocker to get consistent PT with Duncan, the Spurs are still giving up too many points in the paint. I certainly would be happy if the Spurs landed Camby.
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine (http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine)

I doubt the Clippers would even consider this but if they did, we could have a triumvirate of bigman the Spurs could give a majority of the PT too. Then that way the Spurs could get away with using Ratliff sparingly in the regular season, and the D wouldn't suffer. Then the Spurs can have 4 bigmen that can specialize in at least two big man attributes.

Duncan- Block shots, rebound, post defense, score in the post

McDyess- Rebound, Mid range jumper, post defense

Camby- Block shots, rebound

Ratliff- post defense, Block shots

Then you talk about adding DeJuan Blair to that mix, and that is a pretty sick frontcourt rotation.

Interrohater
12-15-2009, 08:22 PM
Camby thread!

Good suggestion, but you're definitely not the first. Right now, Clips won't get rid of Camby, blah blah blah, not happening.

quentin_compson
12-15-2009, 08:22 PM
I still think we need one more shot blocker to get consistent PT with Duncan, the Spurs are still giving up too many points in the paint. I certainly would be happy if the Spurs landed Camby.
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine (http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine)

So you're not even suggesting a specific trade? :wakeup
Camby is way overrated by a lot of people here, by the way.

duncan228
12-15-2009, 08:26 PM
Two pieces on Camby from this past weekend.

Mike Dunleavy won't confirm reports of trade offers for Marcus Camby (http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-clippers-fyi13-2009dec13,0,1043982.story)
Coach says the forward has been 'great' and that the team has 'a lot of guys that have a lot of interest from a lot of people.'
Mark Medina

Clippers Coach Mike Dunleavy declined to confirm a recent report that said that various NBA teams have made trade offers for starting forward Marcus Camby.

In the last year of a contract worth $9.1 million, Camby goes into Sunday's game against the San Antonio Spurs ranked fifth in the league in blocks (2.1 per game) and sixth in rebounding (11.0 per game).

"Marcus has been great," Dunleavy said. "We have a lot of guys that have a lot of interest from a lot of people."

As for the rest of the Clippers roster, Dunleavy said the team has no immediate needs beyond forward Blake Griffin fully recovering from a stress fracture in his left knee that has kept him out for all 21 games.

Camby avoided interviews after today's practice, but said earlier in the week that extra stretching, conditioning and effort has helped him averaged double digits in rebounds for the last seven seasons.

"We have a lot of guys capable of scoring," said Camby, who averages 8.4 points per game. "We need guys who go out there and do the little things to balance out our team. That's what I try to focus on."

Marc Stein's Weekend Dime (http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/p...trade-eligible)

Contending teams all want an extra big man, no matter how good they think their small-ball team is, because you'll eventually have to deal with the Lakers' array of 7-footers if you have any title aspirations.

That's why the Los Angeles Clippers continue to get calls with offers for veteran center Marcus Camby.

But the Clips, sources say, continue to tell those callers that Camby is off limits.

That stance unexpectedly appeared to loosen up at last February's trading deadline, when the Clips and San Antonio Spurs discussed a Camby deal, but the message we got this week from two well-placed sources is that L.A. is not willing to listen to proposals for Camby, who's in the final year of his contract at $9.2 million.

Especially with Blake Griffin not expected back until after Jan. 1.

z0sa
12-15-2009, 08:27 PM
1) I think everyone would be happy if we landed Camby on the cheap
2) What do you want me to do with the trade machine link? Find trades for you?
3)"I doubt the clippers would even consider this.." then why are you making a thread about it? This isn't the first Camby thread, as surprising as that may be.
4) Do you think we use Ratliff sparingly as it is?
5) Blair would be completely phased out of the rotation with 4 talented, veteran bigs in front of him..

I would love having Camby, but his health history and price tag are both terrible..

Ginobili2Duncan
12-15-2009, 08:28 PM
So you're not even suggesting a specific trade? :wakeup
Camby is way overrated by a lot of people here, by the way.

Oh my bad it must of messed up when I copied it. But the trade was Bonner, Mason, and Mahinmi for Camby. I know camby is overrated but he would excel in what we would be bringing him here to do which is block shots and rebound. He isn't a very good post defender, but McDyess, Duncan, and Ratliff can cover that.

Interrohater
12-15-2009, 08:29 PM
1) I think everyone would be happy if we landed Camby on the cheap
2) What do you want me to do with the trade machine link? Find trades for you?
3)"I doubt the clippers would even consider this.." then why are you making a thread about it? This isn't the first Camby thread, as surprising as that may be.
4) Do you think we use Ratliff sparingly as it is?
5) Blair would be completely phased out of the rotation with 4 bigs in front of him..

I would love having Camby, but his health history and price tag are both terrible..

This.
Plus, this subject is boring.

Chieflion
12-15-2009, 08:30 PM
How many times does Camby have to be mentioned on these boards? The Clippers are not trading him. He is a good mentor for guys like DeAndre Jordan.

Ginobili2Duncan
12-15-2009, 08:32 PM
Two pieces on Camby from this past weekend.

Mike Dunleavy won't confirm reports of trade offers for Marcus Camby (http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-clippers-fyi13-2009dec13,0,1043982.story)
Coach says the forward has been 'great' and that the team has 'a lot of guys that have a lot of interest from a lot of people.'
Mark Medina

Clippers Coach Mike Dunleavy declined to confirm a recent report that said that various NBA teams have made trade offers for starting forward Marcus Camby.

In the last year of a contract worth $9.1 million, Camby goes into Sunday's game against the San Antonio Spurs ranked fifth in the league in blocks (2.1 per game) and sixth in rebounding (11.0 per game).

"Marcus has been great," Dunleavy said. "We have a lot of guys that have a lot of interest from a lot of people."

As for the rest of the Clippers roster, Dunleavy said the team has no immediate needs beyond forward Blake Griffin fully recovering from a stress fracture in his left knee that has kept him out for all 21 games.

Camby avoided interviews after today's practice, but said earlier in the week that extra stretching, conditioning and effort has helped him averaged double digits in rebounds for the last seven seasons.

"We have a lot of guys capable of scoring," said Camby, who averages 8.4 points per game. "We need guys who go out there and do the little things to balance out our team. That's what I try to focus on."

Marc Stein's Weekend Dime (http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/p...trade-eligible)

Contending teams all want an extra big man, no matter how good they think their small-ball team is, because you'll eventually have to deal with the Lakers' array of 7-footers if you have any title aspirations.

That's why the Los Angeles Clippers continue to get calls with offers for veteran center Marcus Camby.

But the Clips, sources say, continue to tell those callers that Camby is off limits.

That stance unexpectedly appeared to loosen up at last February's trading deadline, when the Clips and San Antonio Spurs discussed a Camby deal, but the message we got this week from two well-placed sources is that L.A. is not willing to listen to proposals for Camby, who's in the final year of his contract at $9.2 million.

Especially with Blake Griffin not expected back until after Jan. 1.

The day after I read that, I saw on yahoo sports where Camby is supposedly on the block.

HarlemHeat37
12-15-2009, 08:33 PM
If we're talking about guys on expiring contracts that would need sweeteners to acquire, Haywood>>Camby..

Chieflion
12-15-2009, 08:34 PM
If we're talking about guys on expiring contracts that would need sweeteners to acquire, Haywood>>Camby..
I agree. I don't know why Spurs fans want Camby so much when Haywood is cheaper and better.

exstatic
12-15-2009, 08:34 PM
My guess is that they won't explore trading him until Blake Griffin is back and in playing shape. He might become available near the deadline, but talking about it before that is just non-productive. He isn't going anywhere for now.

VI_Massive
12-15-2009, 08:35 PM
I agree. I don't know why Spurs fans want Camby so much when Haywood is cheaper and better.

Which makes him harder to trade for.

Ginobili2Duncan
12-15-2009, 08:36 PM

I would love to have Haywood also, but I think the Wizards's GM is hellbent on keeping that team together. Even though its obvious it isn't going to work between that core.

Chieflion
12-15-2009, 08:37 PM
I would love to have Haywood also, but I think the Wizards are hellbent on keeping that team together.
That team, starting from the head of the snake, Gilbert Arenas, to the tail which defends it, Haywood, has been twisted and worn out.

Chieflion
12-15-2009, 08:38 PM
Which makes him harder to trade for.
No it doesn't. Both Camby and Haywood are expiring contracts. Plus, Haywood, through his interviews did not sound particularly happy playing with some people.

Interrohater
12-15-2009, 08:39 PM
Plus, Haywood, through his interviews did not sound particularly happy playing with some people.

That's a great point, I forgot about that.

Ginobili2Duncan
12-15-2009, 08:42 PM
I would be happy with either one I only mentioned Camby, because he is on the block, and if he isn't he will be soon with Griffin coming back, and then you have Kaman at C.

VI_Massive
12-15-2009, 09:00 PM
No it doesn't. Both Camby and Haywood are expiring contracts. Plus, Haywood, through his interviews did not sound particularly happy playing with some people.

But being better and cheaper his team is less likely to want to trade him, though there may be locker room issues as you mention. Also, Washington to me seems less likely to want to rely on their young (though seemingly quality) bigs in Blatche and McGee. If the Wiz are looking to get rid of guys I think it would be a Mike Miller or DeShawn Stevenson rather than Haywood, who is kind of their defensive anchor with Jamison being a pretty bad defender.

quentin_compson
12-15-2009, 09:06 PM
But being better and cheaper his team is less likely to want to trade him, though there may be locker room issues as you mention.

I think Chieflion meant "better for the Spurs". There is no doubt that Camby is the better player overall.

timtonymanu
12-15-2009, 09:09 PM
It's like every other day there's a Camby thread.

Dro210
12-15-2009, 09:15 PM
I've always been a firm believer that we should get Camby.... he's a great player and would fit a role for us perfect. I've wanted him for years. I'm just always scared of him being so injury prone, and every year that passes and we don't get him, he's that much older... I'm sure the Spurs feel the same way.

itzsoweezee
12-15-2009, 09:18 PM
camby sucks.

i'd rather have GORTAT.

K-State Spur
12-15-2009, 10:06 PM
I still think we need one more shot blocker to get consistent PT with Duncan, the Spurs are still giving up too many points in the paint..

camby would be nice for the right price, but he doesn't really defend the paint.

the reason he puts up so many blocks is because he has no problem leaving his own man to help, whether the other defender needs it or not.

his on ball post defense isn't anything special either.

HarlemHeat37
12-15-2009, 10:18 PM
Haywood would look nice in this game..

TD 21
12-15-2009, 10:23 PM
This move is probably a season breaker. If the Spurs somehow find a way to acquire Camby, then they have a shot. Without him, it's painfully obvious that they're once again too undersized and immobile in the paint. Still no true number two big man on the roster.

I like McDyess and subscribe to the theory of him being old, resting his knees in the summer and being a better 2nd half player because he plays his way into shape early in the season, but what the fuck is this guy doing? The tenacity and intensity I used to see him play with I'm not seeing now. He looks old, slow, is completely ineffective defensively against anyone with a modicum of athleticism/mobility, is rebounding mediocre and looks unsure of himself on offense.

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ydrzxqt

Camby for Bonner, Finley, Ratliff and Mahinmi works salary wise. The Clippers can easily waive the relatively paltry salaries of Ratliff, Mahinmi (or they could take a look at him through the remainder of the season) and even Finley if they so choose. Obviously, there's not enough value in this, which is why the Spurs would have to throw in their 1st round pick, which they should. That's not that bad for the Clippers, to still get the cap savings, but to also get a 1st round pick for a big more than likely out the door after this season. They're not going anywhere this year any way; at best they'll be competing for the 8th seed.

This would give the Spurs a much more clearly defined rotation than they currently have...

Starters: PF- Duncan, SF- Jefferson, C- Camby, SG- Bogans, PG- Parker

Bench (rotation): SG- Ginobili, PF- McDyess, PG/SG- Hill, SG/PG- Mason, PF- Blair

Bench (out of rotation): SG/SF- Hairston, PF- Haislip

A 13th player would need to be signed to comply with league rules.

quentin_compson
12-15-2009, 11:46 PM
The only thing is that Camby is an expiring contract and that is really the only thing the Spurs have to offer they are willing to give up.

Yeah, but still a lot of people are thinking we can get him by offering the Clippers nothing more than expiring contracts.

EricB
12-15-2009, 11:46 PM
Again with the overrated Camby bullshit.

TD 21
12-15-2009, 11:55 PM
Yeah, but still a lot of people are thinking we can get him by offering the Clippers nothing more than expiring contracts.

Expirings + a 1st. Who's giving the Clippers a better offer than that? Out of the other teams attempting to contend for a championship, none have as gaping a hole or as pressing a need on the front line as the Spurs. Of the middling-worse teams, they don't need a 35 year old big man on an expiring contract who'd most likely leave them and sign with a contender in the off season. Is anyone giving up a blue chip prospect for him? I doubt it. No matter how fed up with Randolph they supposedly are, even the Warriors surely wouldn't be stupid enough to do that deal. If you're the Clippers and the Spurs offer this, how do you turn it down? A 1st round pick for a player almost assuredly gone after the season and keep in mind that the Clippers are going nowhere this year. So it's either lose Camby and get nothing (except cap space), or trade Camby and get a relatively valuable asset in addition to maintaining cap flexibility. It's a no-brainer, unless someone is desperate enough to offer a blue chipper.

Again with the overrated Cambyses bullshit.

Find a better, more realistic option to fill the gaping hole next to Duncan. When you consider those factors (expiring contract, so he wouldn't interfere with the Spurs bringing Splitter over next year), you can't come up with a better option.

Chieflion
12-15-2009, 11:57 PM
Expirings + a 1st. Who's giving the Clippers a better offer than that? Out of the other teams attempting to contend for a championship, none have as gaping a hole on the front line as the Spurs. Of the middling-worse teams; they don't need a 35 year old big man on an expiring contract who'd most likely leave them and sign with a contender in the off season. Is anyone giving up a blue chip prospect for him? I doubt it. No matter how fed up with Randolph they supposedly are, even the Warriors surely wouldn't be stupid enough to do that deal. If you're the Clippers and the Spurs offer this, how do you turn it down? A 1st round pick for a player almost assuredly gone after the season and keep in mind that the Clippers are going nowhere this year.

Find a better, more realistic option to fill the gaping hole next to Duncan. When you consider those factors (expiring contract, so he wouldn't interfere with the Spurs bringing Splitter over next year), you can't come up with a better option.
Brendan Haywood.

TD 21
12-16-2009, 12:02 AM
Brendan Haywood.

He makes $6 million compared to Camby at $9.1 million, so the Spurs wouldn't have to unload as much depth to match salaries. But is Haywood better than Camby? At this point, he's in his class, but I wouldn't call him better. He's not quite plodding, but he's more of a plodder. Camby is a decent passer/mid-range shooter from the high post, so he'd play off Duncan better offensively because he has the skill to stay out of his way and still be effective.

The thing is though, the Wizards are trying to compete and unlike the Clippers, because the East is so bad they could still not only make the playoffs, but finish probably as high as 5th-6th if they really turned it around. I highly doubt they trade their one true big man, who's having a solid year, for essentially a late 1st (given their situation, unless they undergo a major rebuild, this is essentially useless, because they have a lot of young players already). Despite the Clippers protestations to the contrary, I actually think Camby will be more attainable. Maybe not right now, but by the deadline.

ClippersDynasty
12-16-2009, 12:04 AM
Keap dremin.....

Clipshow don't wont no spurs trash.

Ginobili2Duncan
12-16-2009, 12:16 AM
He makes $6 million compared to Camby at $9.1 million, so the Spurs wouldn't have to unload as much depth to match salaries. But is Haywood better than Camby? At this point, he's in his class, but I wouldn't call him better. He's not quite plodding, but he's more of a plodder. Camby is a decent passer/mid-range shooter from the high post, so he'd play off Duncan better offensively because he has the skill to stay out of his way and still be effective.

The thing is though, the Wizards are trying to compete and unlike the Clippers, because the East is so bad they could still not only make the playoffs, but finish probably as high as 5th-6th if they really turned it around. I highly doubt they trade their one true big man, who's having a solid year, for essentially a late 1st (given their situation, unless they undergo a major rebuild, this is essentially useless, because they have a lot of young players already). Despite the Clippers protestations to the contrary, I actually think Camby will be more attainable. Maybe not right now, but by the deadline.

Sacrules is that you?

TD 21
12-16-2009, 12:17 AM
Sacrules is that you?

Who's this?

spurspokesman
12-16-2009, 12:18 AM
He makes too much but I was calling for Camby last year. Boards, blocks, and D. Twin towers resurfaced.
Yup. Same here. He is what the doctor ordered. I was campaigning for him with u last year. We suck inside. Cough.

Ginobili2Duncan
12-16-2009, 12:20 AM
Who's this?

chris21691

spurspokesman
12-16-2009, 12:21 AM
Again with the overrated Camby bullshit.
Numbers don't lie dude. He's a beast.

ElNono
12-16-2009, 12:23 AM
Numbers don't lie dude. He's a beast.

What numbers? And do you realize that he would have been sitting in the bench watching Spurs small ball tonight and would not have made an inch of a difference?

Ginobili2Duncan
12-16-2009, 12:26 AM
Camby gives us length around the rim, and another bigman besides Duncan who can alter shots in the paint. As we have seen these last few games when Duncan steps out on pick n rolls there is no other shot blocker to intiminate shots.

TD 21
12-16-2009, 12:26 AM
chris21691

Good to see you here, where there's more than 10 Spurs fans.

HarlemHeat37
12-16-2009, 12:32 AM
I wouldn't mind Camby, obviously, but I prefer Haywood due to his much better 1 on 1 ability to defend the post to add to his shot blocking ability..Camby's a better rebounder and he's still a good shot blocker, but he's an average 1 on 1 defender in the post due to his relatively skinny frame..

Haywood is much bigger and he's about 5 years younger..

I think they're both long shots, which is why I mention Haywood..the chance for him, like chieflion said earlier is that the Wizards are having a lot of in-house problems right now..Haywood has called them out for their D since he's pretty much the only Wizard that plays any defense..Arenas has called out other players, their team doesn't seem to get along..

it's obviously a long shot, but maybe we could get him if we involved a 3rd team or threw in a couple of picks + expirings + rights to Splitter..

TD 21
12-16-2009, 12:35 AM
I wouldn't mind Camby, obviously, but I prefer Haywood due to his much better 1 on 1 ability to defend the post to add to his shot blocking ability..Camby's a better rebounder and he's still a good shot blocker, but he's an average 1 on 1 defender in the post due to his relatively skinny frame..

Haywood is much bigger and he's about 5 years younger..

I think they're both long shots, which is why I mention Haywood..the chance for him, like chieflion said earlier is that the Wizards are having a lot of in-house problems right now..Haywood has called them out for their D since he's pretty much the only Wizard that plays any defense..Arenas has called out other players, their team doesn't seem to get along..

it's obviously a long shot, but maybe we could get him if we involved a 3rd team or threw in a couple of picks + expirings + rights to Splitter..

Why would you throw in the rights to Splitter for an average center who's on an expiring contract (meaning he could walk and the Spurs would be left with nothing)? Unless it nets the Spurs a relatively young impact center that they could control at a reasonable cost for a few years, I'd refrain from including Splitter in any deal. The great thing about potentially acquiring Camby would be that he would be a bridge to Splitter's presumed 2010 arrival.

HarlemHeat37
12-16-2009, 12:38 AM
Haywood isn't an average C..he's a big 7 footer and he's putting up a double-double with 2+ blocks per game and he's one of the best 1 on 1 post defenders in the NBA..those types of players are very difficult to find..he's also never even played in a good system, always having to play with a bunch of no-D chuckers..

I'm not on the Splitter bandwagon, that's why..I know this team is going to wait for him next year, and he might not even end up coming over..so there's the chance he doesn't come and there's the chance that his game doesn't translate to the NBA..it's also another wasted year for Duncan's knees..there's too many variables with Splitter IMO, and if you can get a good piece for him, you do it IMO..

TD 21
12-16-2009, 12:46 AM
Haywood isn't an average C..he's a big 7 footer and he's putting up a double-double with 2+ blocks per game and he's one of the best 1 on 1 post defenders in the NBA..those types of players are very difficult to find..he's also never even played in a good system, always having to play with a bunch of no-D chuckers..

I'm not on the Splitter bandwagon, that's why..I know this team is going to wait for him next year, and he might not even end up coming over..so there's the chance he doesn't come and there's the chance that his game doesn't translate to the NBA..it's also another wasted year for Duncan's knees..there's too many variables with Splitter IMO, and if you can get a good piece for him, you do it IMO..

He's average. He's the only quality traditional big man on the roster and they're a sub-par defensive team, so of course he get's a solid number of rebounds and blocked shots. In reality, he's average or slightly above average. But think about it, how many starting centers are better than him? I know a lot of them are really power forwards, but quite a few are better than him. What I like about Camby is that he, like Duncan, is a combo C/PF, so they could easily swap defensive assignments depending on the match-up. Haywood is strictly a C; though I did see him do a nice job on Bosh earlier in the year. But that might have been an aberration.

Agreed. If it's the type of piece I described in my last post...not Haywood, or Camby.

AFBlue
12-16-2009, 12:53 AM
Why do people think that everything will be solved if the Spurs make ANOTHER trade?

The problem to this point has been getting the right players on the court together at the right time...it's a work in progress. So, adding another new player to that equation only exacerbates the problem.

Spurs don't need Camby, Haywood or any other GD player not already on their team. They need the players they already have to start playing like a team.

HarlemHeat37
12-16-2009, 12:57 AM
We don't have the roster to compete for a title, that's why we want a trade..

It doesn't make you any less of a fan to admit it..a 2nd legit big is clearly a glaring need..

Johnny RIngo
12-16-2009, 01:02 AM
Camby isn't going to make RJ any less of a vagina. Sure, I'd like the move but I doubt it puts us over the top.

AFBlue
12-16-2009, 01:11 AM
We don't have the roster to compete for a title, that's why we want a trade..

It doesn't make you any less of a fan to admit it..a 2nd legit big is clearly a glaring need..

I'm not questioning the "fan-ness" of people wanting a trade....I'm questioning the logic.

This is the same team on paper that analysts across the country said would be in the thick of it come playoff time. Their issues ARE NOT with the level of talent on this team. The issues are with chemistry, plain and simple.

So even if the Spurs were to get another big man, you'd have to consider two things:

1) At what cost? Is it a net gain or loss in overall talent of the team?

2) How does adding that player at that time impact the chemistry the team had built to that point in the season?

I'm of the opinion that adding a player like Camby or Haywood at the sacrifice of Hill or Blair or even guys like Bonner & Mason (sad to say) would do more harm than good.

Again, I don't see the logic.

The Spurs DO have enough talent to compete for a championship and they DO have enough veteran savvy (players and coaches alike) to pull it all together in time.

Believe.

Indazone
12-16-2009, 01:53 AM
Camby won't help. The Spurs weakness is at point guard and shooting guard right now.

jdev82
12-16-2009, 02:04 AM
Camby thread!

Good suggestion, but you're definitely not the first. Right now, Clips won't get rid of Camby, blah blah blah, not happening.

wow you think they wont let him be touched? theyre trying to dump him before he gets injured again

lennyalderette
12-16-2009, 03:09 AM
i have been saying camby for like three years, it wouldnt be suprising to me if we got him right now, he fits our perfect trade lol great player in his prime, older than 33 oh and plays D. why in the hell did we keep gettin old pf's and C'rs ! screw it better late than never we need something

mountainballer
12-16-2009, 06:49 AM
of course Haywood is a good idea. funny thing is, Wizards fans on realgm also talk about a trade with the Spurs. and about the great idea to get Splitter in this trade. (idiots even talk about the cheap rookie contract Splitter would get for the next 4 years)
however, of course getting Haywood by sacrifice Splitters rights is a bad idea. could turn into another Scola story.
so, if the Wizards in fact put Haywood on the market, what's the price. it's not that other teams wouldn't show a lot of interest. not only the Spurs feel that they need more size to be able to match up with the Lakers. think about what for example Blazers could offer. so, if the Spurs don't want to give up Splitter, the Wizards will ask for Blair IMO.

Chieflion
12-16-2009, 08:01 AM
of course Haywood is a good idea. funny thing is, Wizards fans on realgm also talk about a trade with the Spurs. and about the great idea to get Splitter in this trade. (idiots even talk about the cheap rookie contract Splitter would get for the next 4 years)
however, of course getting Haywood by sacrifice Splitters rights is a bad idea. could turn into another Scola story.
so, if the Wizards in fact put Haywood on the market, what's the price. it's not that other teams wouldn't show a lot of interest. not only the Spurs feel that they need more size to be able to match up with the Lakers. think about what for example Blazers could offer. so, if the Spurs don't want to give up Splitter, the Wizards will ask for Blair IMO.
Found that thread page.
http://www.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=965659&start=180
It is not that scary. Plus, it is not as if Splitter gets traded for practically nothing, if Haywood stays after 2010. Like HarlemHeat37 said, Splitter may or may not blossom in the NBA. Besides, this is the year the Spurs are going all in. Management may not do this deal just because of Splitter, maybe throw in the 2010 1st round pick to the Wizards instead of Splitter.

Supergirl
12-16-2009, 08:03 AM
who would we give up to get him? McDyess?

baseline bum
12-16-2009, 08:17 AM
Camby's defense is ridiculously overrated, and his horrible offensive skills would cripple our starting lineup even worse. I get no pleasure out of saying I told you so now, but what this team could clearly use is Bruce Bowen. Bogans is way too much of an offensive liability to play as big a role as Bruce, and he's not as good defensively either. Keith definitely has his moments, but he doesn't have anything approaching the consistency of old #12.

Supergirl
12-16-2009, 09:27 AM
Camby's defense is ridiculously overrated, and his horrible offensive skills would cripple our starting lineup even worse. I get no pleasure out of saying I told you so now, but what this team could clearly use is Bruce Bowen. Bogans is way too much of an offensive liability to play as big a role as Bruce, and he's not as good defensively either. Keith definitely has his moments, but he doesn't have anything approaching the consistency of old #12.

well, it took Bowen a little while to settle into the team, too. Bogans has only been a Spur for a couple months.

The big question is whether Hill or Bogans will be most ready to guard the top offensive players come playoff time. Maybe a combo of them both.

I agree that Camby is overrated, but the one thing he has that the Spurs lack right now is SIZE. As good as Blair and McDyess CAN be - they are both undersized.

sananspursfan21
12-16-2009, 09:45 AM
i'd rather have dalembert, or maybe sean williams from the nets. williams would be cheap, young and he's a future camby

z0sa
12-16-2009, 09:47 AM

Honestly, the Spurs not resigning Bowen is about as close an act of betrayal as there is, IMO (the Spurs had no reason to go in another direction, having ballsed all out with the RJ trade).. he isn't 2007 Bruce obviously, but the 2009 Bruce was underplayed and underrated now that we see Bogans attempting to take his place. Bowen's shooting is missed, especially. He could have still earned a niche on this squad as long as he shot 40% from 3.

As it is, the rest of our perimeter is too stacked offensively for an offensively inconsistent and good-but-not-incredible+undersized defender in Bogans.

rascal
12-16-2009, 12:43 PM
I called that a trade of Dalembert and Iguodala for Manu last year would be a good trade for the spurs. TPark/EricB and others wanted no part of that trade. That trade would look great for the spurs today.

ElNono
12-16-2009, 12:45 PM
I called that a trade of Dalembert and Iguodala for Manu last year would be a good trade for the spurs. TPark/EricB and others wanted no part of that trade. That trade would look great for the spurs today.

Why would Philadelphia do that at all? Even more so last year?

rascal
12-16-2009, 12:46 PM
Honestly, the Spurs not resigning Bowen is about as close an act of betrayal as there is, IMO (the Spurs had no reason to go in another direction, having ballsed all out with the RJ trade).. he isn't 2007 Bruce obviously, but the 2009 Bruce was underplayed and underrated now that we see Bogans attempting to take his place. Bowen's shooting is missed, especially. He could have still earned a niche on this squad as long as he shot 40% from 3.

As it is, the rest of our perimeter is too stacked offensively for an offensively inconsistent and good-but-not-incredible+undersized defender in Bogans.

Bowen would not be a savior to the defense. Move on!!

The spurs need another defensive big to clog the lane and take away easy interior scoring.

Chomag
12-16-2009, 12:47 PM
i'd rather have dalembert, or maybe sean williams from the nets. williams would be cheap, young and he's a future camby

Both have a Bball IQ of a brick though.

in2deep
:lol Dalember AND Igoudala for Manu's corpse

ElNono
The spurs need another defensive big to clog the lane and take away easy interior scoring.

I'm sure that would have stopped Channing Frye and Dragic from nailing threes all night...

rascal
12-16-2009, 12:48 PM
Why would Philadelphia do that at all? Even more so last year?

The point was not if Philly would do the trade the point is that you and others thought that was a terrible trade for the Spurs back then.

iggypop123
12-16-2009, 12:49 PM
any trade for camby would probably start with hill and blair so i doubt it gets anywhere

ElNono
12-16-2009, 12:50 PM
I called that a trade of Wade and Haslem for Manu last year would be a good trade for the spurs...

I called that a trade of Brooks and Scola for Manu last year would be a good trade for the spurs...

I called that a trade of Devin Harris and Brook Lopez for Manu last year would be a good trade for the spurs...

See, I can do it too!!!

rascal
12-16-2009, 12:52 PM
I called that a trade of Wade and Haslem for Manu last year would be a good trade for the spurs...

I called that a trade of Brooks and Scola for Manu last year would be a good trade for the spurs...

I called that a trade of Devin Harris and Brook Lopez for Manu last year would be a good trade for the spurs...

See, I can do it too!!!

You did not call anything.

ElNono
12-16-2009, 12:54 PM
The point was not if Philly would do the trade the point is that you and others thought that was a terrible trade for the Spurs back then.

I'm not sure it's as great a trade as you think, even right now... I mean, the incentive for the Spurs is Iguodala, because Dalembert is barely better than Theo...

I believe the point in this thread is to try to land Camby without getting rid of any of the big 3... I could be wrong though...

Supergirl
12-16-2009, 12:55 PM
Jeez, people are stuck on Bowen in the same way they're still stuck on Robinson. They were both tremendous players, irreplaceable, but like all of us do, THEY GOT OLD. There is a reason they both retired. It's not like we let Bowen go because we were stingy or because we wanted to, it's not like he's tearing it up somewhere else. HE RETIRED. He retired because he got OLD. It's not his fault or ours, it's just life.

ElNono
12-16-2009, 12:56 PM
You did not call anything.

I just did... I didn't have to explain how could it be all worked out... It was fun! :lol

AFBlue
12-16-2009, 01:57 PM

You'd rather have a guy (Dalembert) that is far less proven and makes more money for a longer period of time or a guy that can't buy minutes on a lottery-bound Nets team?

I'm not a proponent of a Camby trade given the likely cost (Hill? Blair?) and additional chemistry concerns, but I HAD to comment on this one.

If, and I say IF, the Spurs were to entertain a trade for another big, it would have to be someone that significantly improves their chances against the powerhouse teams. Camby and Biedrins are the only two in my mind that fit the category...but I don't consider either realistic or worth it when you consider what they'll cost.

Again though, Dalembert or Williams? Yeesh.

HarlemHeat37
12-16-2009, 02:55 PM

I know you're a fan of Splitter, which is understandable, but it's also a risk to wait for a guy that might not even end up joining the Spurs, isn't it?..just like there's the risk of Splitter becoming a good player and pulling another Scola, there's the chance of Splitter not joining the Spurs, and maybe not even panning out if he does join the team..

I've been wanting Splitter for a while too and I would have different feelings if the team hadn't went all-in already..heavily going over the luxury tax for guys like RJ and McDyess showed this team went deep and wants to win now, so as unlikely as it is(I don't believe we're a contender without a trade), the goal for this year is to ultimately win a title..

why waste another year of Duncan and Manu?..

Duncan2177
12-16-2009, 03:02 PM

Camby's defense is ridiculously overrated? Are you kidding? He would bring that size and length against the lakers and don't forget he has won a defensive player of the year award he would also be a major upgrade at the five than what we have right now.

LOL@MavsFan
12-16-2009, 03:07 PM
Alright another "we need Camby" thread. Could it be b/c the Spurs lost?:rolleyes

da_suns_fan
12-16-2009, 03:11 PM
Even if the Spurs were able to add Camby without giving up anything, it still wouldnt get them past the Lakers.

HarlemHeat37
12-16-2009, 03:15 PM
Nothing will get us far without Parker playing like Parker, RJ becoming a contributor and Manu staying healthy..obviously none of those things are a given though, but it's apparent that we need another big..

I don't think Camby puts us with the Lakers though..I wouldn't mind getting him, but he IS overrated..he's NOT a good 1 on 1 defender, he's too skinny and gets pushed around very easily..there are a few guys I would look for before looking at Camby..

SamoanTD
12-16-2009, 04:03 PM
what happens if we get camby and he plays like shit would you people shut up? lol

baseline bum
12-16-2009, 04:07 PM
well, it took Bowen a little while to settle into the team, too. Bogans has only been a Spur for a couple months.

No it didn't. Bowen was awesome from the start here, and the second he got injured in 2001-02, the team nosedived hard. They were 25-8 (76%) with Bowen playing to start the season and were 11-12 (48%) with him in street clothes the next 23 games.

baseline bum
12-16-2009, 04:12 PM
Jeez, people are stuck on Bowen in the same way they're still stuck on Robinson. They were both tremendous players, irreplaceable, but like all of us do, THEY GOT OLD. There is a reason they both retired. It's not like we let Bowen go because we were stingy or because we wanted to, it's not like he's tearing it up somewhere else. HE RETIRED. He retired because he got OLD. It's not his fault or ours, it's just life.

The reason Bowen retired is the Spurs didn't offer him a contract and he wasn't going to pick his family up and move them, especially now that his wife has a business in La Cantera.

baseline bum
12-16-2009, 04:19 PM
Another thing about Camby. After the Nuggets got rid of their overpaid DPOY, they immediately allowed 6 fewer ppg and opponent shooting percentages dropped almost 2%. How do you get better defensively when you give up your supposed anchor? Cotton Camby sucks.

BatManu
12-16-2009, 04:44 PM
There's not a realistic way to work a trade for Camby due to his salary, but he will be a FA next year so maybe they can go after him then...

quentin_compson
12-16-2009, 04:57 PM
Camby's defense is ridiculously overrated? Are you kidding? He would bring that size and length against the lakers and don't forget he has won a defensive player of the year award he would also be a major upgrade at the five than what we have right now.

Yeah, he has. Not that he deserved it, though.

Johnny RIngo
12-16-2009, 05:00 PM
Yeah, he has. Not that he deserved it, though.

Agreed. Duncan deserved it over him.

baseline bum
12-16-2009, 05:33 PM
Camby winning DPOY is like Kobe winning the David Robinson Community Assist Award for his work in Colorado.

saxman
12-16-2009, 05:38 PM
I think Camby would fit in nicely with the Spurs. I guess, in a way, he can play the David Robinson role before he retired...

SanAntonioSpurs23
12-16-2009, 11:08 PM
Camby tonight: 10 points, 18 rebounds, 6 assits, 5 blocks

One can dream.... :(