PDA

View Full Version : the official: I Miss Bruce Bowen aka Defense

Creation88
12-15-2009, 09:52 PM
Bruce use to single-handedly shut down Nash and in turn shut down the Suns defense. now we have no player of that defensive caliber. i miss the good ol' days of 89-83 games. :depressed

Spurs Brazil
12-15-2009, 10:15 PM
For those Spurs fans who doesn't think #12 should be retired just take a look at this game

Nash couldn't play that free against us since 2005.

No Bruce = no 2005 and 2007 banners

I know 90% of people agree that 12 should be retired but for those 10% just look Nash playing today, he's not even tired

HarlemHeat37
12-15-2009, 10:15 PM
The current make-up of this team is very, very poor from a defensive standpoint..

Duncan can still anchor the paint, but he can no longer come out far to defend..so what do we do to help him out?..bring in another old guy that can't come out to defend mobile bigs..

Our perimeter defenders are horrible..they don't know how to rotate properly and/or they just suck at individual D..

Parker is one of the worst defenders in the NBA..Manu is average, RJ is average..Hill is good but isn't strong enough to defend the many strong perimeter players in the NBA..Bogans is good..Mason and Finley are horrible..Hairston is good and has the potential to be great IMO, but he doesn't play..

We have to solve one of those problems..the perimeter bigs will look better if there's a shot-blocking big man next to Duncan, and the big men will look better with better perimeter defenders..we used to have both sides of it..

FromWayDowntown
12-15-2009, 11:13 PM
Spurs should immediately sign Scottie Pippen, Bobby Jones, Sidney Moncrief, and Michael Cooper.

eyeh8u
12-15-2009, 11:25 PM
Spurs should immediately sign Scottie Pippen, Bobby Jones, Sidney Moncrief, and Michael Cooper.
and ruben patterson he is the kobe stopper

TIMMYD!
12-15-2009, 11:27 PM
Shane Battier seems like a good defensive player...

And Fuck RJ, seriously.

ffadicted
12-15-2009, 11:29 PM
Commentators had the right idea when they said:
"This is a different spurs game... they don't rely on their defense anymore..."

I miss the good old days :(

SpursRulez4eVeR
12-15-2009, 11:30 PM
RJ made grant hill like an all star once again

SenorSpur
12-15-2009, 11:30 PM
If there was ever a game this season where Bowen's presence has been missed, and there have been many, however this was the one. Yes, Bruce used to single-handedly take out Nash, or Hill, or whoever his assignment was.

spurtech09
12-15-2009, 11:32 PM
those days are over...bowens defense sucked last season

SenorSpur
12-15-2009, 11:33 PM
The current make-up of this team is very, very poor from a defensive standpoint..

Duncan can still anchor the paint, but he can no longer come out far to defend..so what do we do to help him out?..bring in another old guy that can't come out to defend mobile bigs..

Our perimeter defenders are horrible..they don't know how to rotate properly and/or they just suck at individual D..

Parker is one of the worst defenders in the NBA..Manu is average, RJ is average..Hill is good but isn't strong enough to defend the many strong perimeter players in the NBA..Bogans is good..Mason and Finley are horrible..Hairston is good and has the potential to be great IMO, but he doesn't play..

We have to solve one of those problems..the perimeter bigs will look better if there's a shot-blocking big man next to Duncan, and the big men will look better with better perimeter defenders..we used to have both sides of it..

It is absolutely frightening how bad Parker's D is. There was a time that he was at least average. It's almost as though he doesn't care. The one play in the 1st quarter, where he didn't fight through the screen-n-roll and allowed Amare to roll right past him to receive a Nash assist for an uncontested dunk was absolutely atrocious.

Sean Cagney
12-15-2009, 11:34 PM

At times it was still ALOT better than what we have out there now! :lol:bang

Spurs Brazil
12-15-2009, 11:37 PM

Bowen D last season was better than ANY perimeter player this season

draft87
12-15-2009, 11:40 PM
Na, we got Bonner.

Na, we got Bonner.

Na, we got Bonner.

Na, we got Bonner.

Na, we got Bonner.

Na, we got Bonner.

Na, we got Bonner.

Na, we got Bonner.

Na, we got Bonner.

Na, we got Bonner.

Na, we got Bonner.

Na, we got Bonner.

z0sa
12-15-2009, 11:42 PM
There's absolutely no reason he shouldn't be on this team.. he retired because the Spurs didn't want him, they wanted Keith Bogans instead. Bowen had great chemistry with the team, a strong work ethic so essentially risk free, and could have hit a few shots to boot..

I, for one, think he could have still been the best defender on the team, as sad as that may be.

alchemist
12-15-2009, 11:44 PM
If the Spurs want to sign Bowen just for Phoenix games I'm all for it :wakeup

Spursmania
12-15-2009, 11:46 PM
Bogans is no Bowen and will never be. Sorry, but it's true.
And, RJ is only an average to good defender at best. He is no Bowen.

Who is going to be the Spurs' lock down defender?
Will Holt and Pop make any more trades or is this it?

EricB
12-15-2009, 11:47 PM
:lol if you people thought replacing Bowen would be easy, then you need your heads examined.

SouthTexasRancher
12-15-2009, 11:47 PM
There's absolutely no reason he shouldn't be on this team.. he retired because the Spurs didn't want him, they wanted Keith Bogans instead. Bowen had great chemistry with the team, a strong work ethic so essentially risk free, and could have hit a few shots to boot..

I, for one, think he could have still been the best defender on the team, as sad as that may be.

Pop, do something right this season and bring Bowen back and send RJ, Dice & Bogan's packing. If I were Peter Holt, I'b be fuming about now. This team is a joke!

Spursmania
12-15-2009, 11:48 PM
:lol if you people thought replacing Bowen would be easy, then you need your heads examined.

I think Pop needs his head examined. He was already shitting on Bowen last year before he dumped him this year.

Spurs Brazil
12-15-2009, 11:51 PM

Agree, Bruce was the best on D in the last 8 years

We'll not find players like him, he was a special one

Bogans is doing OK, people just need to stop thinking he's the new Bruce

SenorSpur
12-15-2009, 11:53 PM
Nobody was under the impression that replacing Bowen would be easy.

alchemist
12-15-2009, 11:53 PM
Agree, Bruce was the best on D in the last 8 years

We'll not find players like him, he was a special one

Bogans is doing OK, people just need to stop thinking he's the new Bruce
Or give him time to become that type of defender, he has shown flashes of being a great defender.

ElNono
12-15-2009, 11:54 PM
So... who's starting 'The official Finley come back soon' thread? :lol

TJastal
12-16-2009, 12:06 AM
Chieflion did. LOL.

da_suns_fan
12-16-2009, 12:11 AM
Im telling you when I heard about the Jefferson trade I was so relieved they got rid of Bowen....then I was in a panic cuz i suspected that Bowen would be cut and the Spurs would pick him.

YOu can have Jefferson.

JustinJDW
12-16-2009, 12:11 AM
Hanging on the past aren't we? Calm down guys. It's only December.

Chomag
12-16-2009, 12:17 AM
Just wait untill we play Kobe, and LEbron. I hope we have someone that can at least make them work for their points.

Phenomanul
12-16-2009, 12:22 AM

Bruce Bowen last season was playing better ball than Bogans has this year...

It's just that last year's cast was no where near as dynamic (especially with Manu's absence)... which is why Pop decided to call Bowen's number less often... doing so precipitated an end to an era...

Bowen's lack of a complete offensive game would not be considered as much of a liability in light of the additions the Spurs made this year... this year he would only need to revert to his all-defense role.

greyforest
12-16-2009, 12:28 AM
question can bowen still sign with spurs

da_suns_fan
12-16-2009, 12:29 AM
question can bowen still sign with spurs

God I hope not. I hope hes put on fifteen pounds of fat.

SpursBabe99
12-16-2009, 12:34 AM
I loved Bruce soooo much!! He was just a lil bug buzzing around his assigned guy never letting up!! Bring him on back && if not I think 12 definitely deserves to be retired!

toosmallshoes
12-16-2009, 03:32 AM
Bogans is like the new Rasho. He's being asked to fill the shoes of Bruce the same way Nesterovic was expected to fill D-Rob's shoes. Not gonna happen. And damn... I miss those corner threes...
Roger Mason Jr., please work on you defense and keep hitting those threes. Bogans need to go.

NuGGeTs-FaN
12-16-2009, 03:54 AM
relax people, he will come back by February :toast

NuGGeTs-FaN
12-16-2009, 03:54 AM
The Bucks announced the move Friday night after their monthlong attempts to trade him -- including talks this week with the Denver Nuggets -- did not result in a deal.

:wow . I didn't know the Nuggets were thinking of getting him

Ice009
12-16-2009, 04:06 AM

Bruce was not done. That is why I am not too pleased with letting him go. He deserved a chance with this team.

ceperez
12-16-2009, 07:31 AM

Agree.

EmptyMan
12-16-2009, 09:54 AM
Bowen, the spurs suck ass on defense without you.

At least the Spurs still have Finley though. :bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang

Fabbs
12-16-2009, 10:16 AM
Is this ^^ some lame attempt to change the subject?

SenorSpur Nobody was under the impression that replacing Bowen would be easy.

Notice how it's only Spurs opponents who are glad the Spurs no longer have Bowen and do have the current pussy D and three point chucking O that Lord FinleyPop has insisted upon.

da_suns_fan Im telling you when I heard about the Jefferson trade I was so relieved they got rid of Bowen....then I was in a panic cuz i suspected that Bowen would be cut and the Spurs would pick him.

YOu can have Jefferson.

lefty
12-16-2009, 11:52 AM
Stop living in the past guys.

Pop has to figure it out with what he currently has.

hater
12-16-2009, 12:09 PM
Bowen is definitely needed vs. Nash. We should sign him to single day contracts on games vs. suns.

EmptyMan
12-16-2009, 12:21 PM
do have the current pussy D and three point chucking O that Lord FinleyPop has insisted upon.

lol, perfect synopsis!

z0sa
12-16-2009, 12:25 PM
Bowen is definitely needed vs. Nash. We should sign him to single day contracts on games vs. suns.

Parker can bother the shit out of Nash when he's not injured/tired. Even if his D is suspect, usually he runs right past Nash or needs a simple screen for the widest open shots imaginable.

When Nash has to work on D, he shows his age.

hater
12-16-2009, 12:27 PM
Parker was injured? why would he be tired? Nash played twice the minutes Parker did??

even then, at 110% Parker has not chance defending Nash. no chance. shit, parker was strugglind defending Dragic :bang :bang

z0sa
12-16-2009, 12:35 PM
Parker was injured? why would he be tired? Nash played twice the minutes Parker did??

even then, at 110% Parker has not chance defending Nash. no chance. shit, parker was strugglind defending Dragic :bang :bang

Parker has had success making life difficult for Nash, on both ends. Consistently? No. We've also always had our ace in the hole on that end, Bowen, to clean up anyone's messes.

As for Parker's health, I think it's clear he is not 100%. He seems to be progressing but for some reason has fallen back again.. tonight will be a good gauge.

SA210
12-18-2009, 12:11 PM

Bruce Bowen last season was playing better ball than Bogans has this year...

It's just that last year's cast was no where near as dynamic (especially with Manu's absence)... which is why Pop decided to call Bowen's number less often... doing so precipitated an end to an era...

Bowen's lack of a complete offensive game would not be considered as much of a liability in light of the additions the Spurs made this year... this year he would only need to revert to his all-defense role.

Bruce was not done. That is why I am not too pleased with letting him go. He deserved a chance with this team.

Bowen, the spurs suck ass on defense without you.

At least the Spurs still have Finley though. :bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang

Notice how it's only Spurs opponents who are glad the Spurs no longer have Bowen and do have the current pussy D and three point chucking O that Lord FinleyPop has insisted upon.

:toast to all these posters that get it.

We need to bug the news stations and Spurs FO to resign Bruce, otherwise we won't beat the Lakers or anyone in the playoffs for that matter, if we even make it to the playoffs...

:pctoss

spurspokesman
12-18-2009, 12:15 PM
10-4. Roger that and correct at the same time.

dbestpro
12-18-2009, 12:38 PM
Bruce use to single-handedly shut down Nash and in turn shut down the Suns defense. now we have no player of that defensive caliber. i miss the good ol' days of 89-83 games. :depressed

I say the mascot should put some itching powder in TPs shoes to get him to start moving those quick feet on defense.

doobs
12-18-2009, 03:00 PM
I miss Bowen. It seems like the Spurs are trying a Bowen-by-Committee with Bogans-Hill-RJ. Ugh.

Bogans and Hill are too short to play like Bruce. RJ has the size, but not the same aggressiveness and ability to pester. It would be nice if RJ could just commit himself to be a defensive stopper when any two of the big three are on the floor. In other situations, he can relax on D and become a primary scoring option.

Maybe that's what will happen?