PDA

View Full Version : Spurs at Warriors Previews

duncan228
12-16-2009, 01:06 AM
Wednesday: Spurs (12-10) at Warriors (7-17) (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/Wednesday_Spurs_12-10_at_Warriors_7-17.html)

Time: 9:30 p.m.
TV: FSNSW
Radio: WOAI-AM 1200, KCOR-AM 1350

STARTING LINEUPS
POS - SPURS - WARRIORS

PG - 9 Tony Parker (6-2, 9th yr) - 30 Stephen Curry (6-3, 1st yr)
Parker had season-high 32 points in previous meeting with Warriors.

SG - 10 Keith Bogans (6-5, 7th yr) - 8 Monta Ellis (6-3, 5th yr)
Ellis’ 42 points on Nov. 25 high for Spurs opponent.

SF - 24 Richard Jefferson (6-7, 9th yr) - 22 Anthony Morrow (6-5, 2nd yr)
Jefferson beginning to find niche next to Spurs’ “Big Three.”

PF - 21 Tim Duncan (6-11, 13th yr) - 77 V. Radmanovic (6-10, 9th yr)
Small-ball Warriors rarely have sufficient defensive match for Duncan.

C - 34 Antonio McDyess (6-10, 15th yr) - 33 Mikki Moore (7-0, 12th yr)
McDyess shooting 48 percent from the field, a career low if it lasts.

SPURS RESERVES

15 Matt Bonner, C/F, 6-10, 6th yr
45 DeJuan Blair, F, 6-7, 1st yr
20 Manu Ginobili, G, 6-6, 8th yr
1 Malik Hairston, G/F, 6-5, 2nd yr
3 George Hill, G, 6-2, 2nd yr
8 Roger Mason Jr., G, 6-5, 6th yr
42 Theo Ratliff, C, 6-10, 15th yr

WARRIORS RESERVES

15 Andris Biedrins, F/C, 7-0, 6th yr
19 Devean George, G/F, 6-8, 11th yr
31 Chris Hunter, F/C, 6-10, 1st yr
50 Corey Maggette, F, 6-6, 11th yr
4 A. Randolph, F, 6-10, 2nd yr
21 Ronny Turiaf, F, 6-10, 5th yr
23 C.J. Watson, G, 6-2, 3rd yr

COACHES
Spurs: Gregg Popovich
Warriors: Don Nelson

INJURIES

Spurs: Michael Finley (sprained left ankle) is out.
Warriors: Kelenna Azubuike (left patellar tendon), Raja Bell (left wrist), Turiaf (left knee sprain), Brandan Wright (shoulder surgery) and Biedrins (osteitis pubis) are out.

PROJECTED INACTIVE PLAYERS

Spurs: Ian Mahinmi, Marcus Haislip, Finley.
Warriors: Azubuike, Bell, Wright.

NOTABLE

Warrriors’ health has improved somewhat since Nov. 25 visit to San Antonio. They will “only” have five players out for tonight’s meeting. ... Spurs have won 20 of past 30 games at Golden State. ... Parker has averaged more points against Warriors (19.6 in 31 games) than against any other team. ... Nelson is expected to return to the bench tonight for Golden State after missing 10 of the past 12 games while battling pneumonia.

— Jeff McDonald

DesignatedT
12-16-2009, 01:07 AM
expect rj and bonner to go for 20+

SinBAD
12-16-2009, 01:11 AM
easy win for the spurs

murpjf88
12-16-2009, 01:11 AM
I guess the excuse for losing this game will be back2back.

Rapper
12-16-2009, 01:12 AM

ElNono
12-16-2009, 01:38 AM
I have to think Pop lit up some guys after the piss poor effort against the Suns last night, and we're going to see guys come out with the right aggression for this game...

Right?

SinBAD
12-16-2009, 01:39 AM
I have to think Pop lit up some guys after the effort against the Suns last night, and we're going to see guys come out with the right aggression for this game...

Right?

Probably.especially parker and RJ who have been nothing but horible.These guys could play for the D-league right now

ElNono
12-16-2009, 01:42 AM
Yay, we'll beat another crappy team.

You know what? Let's play it and win it. I'll take any win right now. There's always something positive to take from any game. Blair gets more on-hands experience, we can refocus on our defense, all the little things that make you grow as a team...

duncan228
12-16-2009, 01:54 AM
San Antonio (12-10) at Golden State (7-17) (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/preview?gid=2009121609&prov=ap)
Game info: 10:30 pm EST Wed Dec 16, 2009
TV: CSBA
By Mike Lipka

The road has not been kind to the San Antonio Spurs throughout their sluggish start, and the Golden State Warriors can certainly relate.

But the Spurs can still salvage a winning trip Wednesday night at Golden State, which returns home after an ugly five-game road swing and will hope to get a boost with coach Don Nelson back on the bench following a bout with illness.

San Antonio (12-10) has been surprisingly mediocre in the early going for the second straight season after the team was 9-8 through 17 games in 2008-09.

While the Spurs are the only NBA team to win more than 60 percent of its road games since the start of the 2000-01 season, they fell to 2-6 on the road after a 116-104 loss at Phoenix on Tuesday night.

Tim Duncan’s season-high 34 points along with 14 rebounds weren’t enough to buoy the Spurs, who struggled defensively as the Suns shot 11 of 18 from 3-point range and 51.6 percent from the field.

“We had too many pathetic games from too many people,” San Antonio coach Gregg Popovich said. “You can’t do that against a team like Phoenix.”

The Spurs can still finish 2-1 on this trip after beating the Los Angeles Clippers 115-90 on Sunday night, but they’ve put themselves in an unexpected hole as the eighth-place team in the Western Conference.

Golden State’s spot near the bottom of the standings is less surprising, especially considering the injuries that have plagued the team. Andris Biedrins, Raja Bell and Brandan Wright are among the contributors who remain out.

The Warriors (7-17) were also missing their coach on their recent trip as Nelson stayed home to recover from pneumonia. He is expected to return Wednesday to help after his team dropped seven of its last eight overall.

The club’s only win during its 1-4 trip came over lowly New Jersey, and Philadelphia ended its 12-game losing streak with a 117-101 win over the Warriors on Monday.

“I think we’ll all be glad to get home, but you still want to play as well as you can on the road,” said Keith Smart, who has been the acting Golden State coach. “Unfortunately, we didn’t manage to do that on this trip.”

Warriors leading scorer Monta Ellis appeared to run out of gas against the Sixers, scoring a season-low eight points and shooting 3 of 14 from the field after he had played the full 48 minutes in three of the previous five games.

Ellis scored 42 points at San Antonio on Nov. 25, but got little help from his teammates in a 118-104 Golden State loss. Tony Parker had 32 points and seven assists to lead the Spurs.

Parker has consistently excelled against the Warriors’ up-tempo attack, averaging 23.2 points and 7.2 assists while shooting 55.5 percent in his last 17 games against Golden State.

The Spurs have won six straight in the series, and they’re 39-7 against the Warriors since drafting Duncan in 1997.

Team Stat Leaders

Monta Ellis GS 24.0

Rebounds
Tim Duncan SA 10.2
Andris Biedrins GS 7.2

Assists
Tony Parker SA 6.2
Monta Ellis GS 5.0

shelshor
12-16-2009, 11:47 AM
Referee Assignments
Wed. Dec 16
San Antonio @ Golden State: Joe Crawford; Derrick Collins; Mark Lindsay

mexicanjunior
12-16-2009, 11:53 AM
SF - 24 Richard Jefferson (6-7, 9th yr) - 22 Anthony Morrow (6-5, 2nd yr)
Jefferson beginning to find niche next to Spurs’ “Big Three.”

Was he being sarcastic?

Muser
12-16-2009, 11:58 AM

No it will be crawford, :lol

Spurs Brazil
12-16-2009, 12:46 PM
referee assignments
wed. Dec 16
san antonio @ golden state: joe crawford; derrick collins; mark lindsay

damn

duncan228
12-16-2009, 12:47 PM
Warriors Listening to All Offers (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=tsn-warriorslisteningtoa&prov=tsn&type=lgns)
SportingNews

A snappy little follow-up to yesterday’s trade bait rundown (http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/The_Baseline/entry/view/47788/examining_todays_eligible_trade_bait): If you want a Warrior, they’re for sale. No, not just that troublemaker Stephen Jackson; he’s a Bobcat now. Or Monta Ellis, who has been on a tear lately despite his ongoing issues with Don Nelson. Pretty much anyone on this misguided team stocked with young talent.

From ContraCostaTimes.com (http://www.ibabuzz.com/warriors/2009/12/15/nobody-on-warriors-untouchable/):

Just a few weeks ago — when all the drama about Monta Ellis’ agent meeting with the team to potentially discuss a trade — I was told by a trusted team source that Randolph, along with rookie guard Stephen Curry and second-year shooting guard Anthony Morrow, were all untouchable. Now, I’m told by a Warriors insider that no one is untouchable. Everyone is on the market.

Again, no surprise with Ellis. And Randolph, who has somehow gone from the team’s future to a nuisance buried on the bench, comes as no surprise. But Stephen Curry, light of the city’s life, league darling who is just the sort of player a messed-up team uses to guide itself out of the depths? Anthony Morrow, absolutely deadly pure shooter who inexplicably can’t get a regular role in the offense? You’d think that, especially with the guards, moving one would be to free up room for the others.

The Warriors aren’t making anything of all these players, but don’t let that fool you. Imagine any of them actually being coached, in a situation where someone made some attempt to hone their raw ability. This sounds a heck of a lot like the core of a team rebuilding, one vet or big man away from credibility. Instead, the Warriors are having a fire sale.

ElNono
12-16-2009, 12:58 PM
Would they be interested in expirings for Monta and/or Randolph?

Chomag
12-16-2009, 01:02 PM
Would they be interested in expirings for Monta and/or Randolph?

Would be nice.

Muser
12-16-2009, 01:03 PM
Think they'd want some talent in return, but if expirings + picks could get Randolph and/or Ellis then do it.

Chomag
12-16-2009, 01:04 PM
RJ would look rather nice in a GS uniform.

Muser
12-16-2009, 01:06 PM
Why would GS want to take on his contract?

Chomag
12-16-2009, 01:08 PM
Why would GS want to take on his contract?
I admit it's kind of dreamy but you have to admit that the thought is nice. lol

Spursmania
12-16-2009, 01:16 PM
Referee Assignments
Wed. Dec 16
San Antonio @ Golden State: Joe (aka dickhead)Crawford; Derrick Collins; Mark Lindsay

:bang

TDMVPDPOY
12-16-2009, 01:18 PM
already with the excuses if we lose tonite

Steve Jobs
12-16-2009, 01:25 PM
B2B. Sorry, my golden boys are going to shower you with 3s.

duncan228
12-16-2009, 05:55 PM
Warriors’ Moore sidelined indefinitely (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-warriors-moore&prov=ap&type=lgns)

Golden State Warriors center Mikki Moore will be sidelined indefinitely with bone spurs in his right heel.

The team announced the injury Wednesday and said Moore will have surgery later this week. The team says it will have more details about how much time Moore will miss after the operation.

Moore is averaging 5.0 points and 3.0 rebounds per game this season.

bigdog
12-16-2009, 06:03 PM
Spurs should win. If I don't see a good game from Parker I will be pissed. Jefferson should have a good game and Tim should put on a clinic against their frontcourt. Also, seeing George Hill on Monta Ellis should be fun.

Bukefal
12-16-2009, 06:12 PM
This will be a nice win. Let's hope everything works out fine.

:flag:

HarlemHeat37
12-16-2009, 06:32 PM
I wonder if Ellis is going to completely torch all of our guards like last time..

TIMMYD!
12-16-2009, 06:36 PM
Was he being sarcastic?

What I was thinking!

TD 21
12-16-2009, 06:55 PM
The Warriors better hope that Duncan is worn out from last night and that the pace of this game limits him, because if neither of those things are the case, then he's going to absolutely destroy whoever they put on him. I wouldn't at all be surprised, if he has the legs and Pop plays him the minutes for it, to see another 30/15/3 game out of him.

Expect another back-and-forth up-tempo, no-defense game on both ends. The Spurs will probably win due to superior depth/talent, but they probably won't look good doing so. A while back, after the 3 game losing streak I said it wasn't about aesthetics, but wins, but that they'll come a time, not too distantly, when aesthetics will matter...well, now is that time. It's no longer enough to beat the dregs of the league by double-digits. This team, if they want to begin to restore any of the credibility they once had, needs to absolutely annihilate the Warriors is nearly every phase of the game. Will that change the perception of the Spurs? No. But it would be a step in the right direction.