PDA

View Full Version : Breaking Down the Spurs -- Daily Dime

symple19
12-16-2009, 04:48 AM
1. Breaking Down The Spurs
By John Hollinger
ESPN.com
PHOENIX -- Forecasting the demise of the Spurs is a fool's errand. Too many times this club has looked underwhelming in the season's first third before dominating down the stretch, a track record that earns the club a fair degree of latitude in assessing their prospects.

Indeed, the consensus from the Spurs' side before Tuesday's game was that they're going to be good ... eventually.

That said, there were some very un-Spur-like things in Tuesday's 116-102 loss to the Suns.

While San Antonio has earned the benefit of the doubt when it comes to slow starts, let the record show that the "doubt" part of that equation grows with each passing day that we don't witness a Spurs renaissance.

Let's start, of course, with their unfamiliar win-loss record of 12-10 after the defeat. Optimists will point out that San Antonio's record has come with a strongly positive point differential, so perhaps that overstates their problems. This is true, but on the other hand, San Antonio has played only twice against the league's six heavyweights (Lakers, Nuggets, Celtics, Cavs, Hawks, and Magic) and was outclassed on its home floor both times. The Spurs have mustered only two road wins alls season, with a home-heavy early schedule protecting them from a worse fate in the standings.

It's happened even though Tim Duncan is playing unbelievably well. Tuesday he had 34 points, his most since scoring 40 in a double-overtime thriller against this same Suns team in Game 1 of the 2008 playoffs. It was an efficient 34 too, as he shot a stellar 14-of-22 shooting from the floor. Yet it still wasn't nearly enough -- the Spurs lost by double figures as his teammate shot only 40.6 percent from the floor.

That has to worry the Spurs because Duncan started like gangbusters a year ago, too, only to wither down the stretch as a knee injury gradually wore him down. Right now he's the only part of the Spurs' four-man core performing up to expectations, so if his output stumbles they're really in trouble.

Dig a little deeper from Tuesday's loss, however, and three areas of concern stand out.

• The defense. Let's start with the big kahuna. I can't remember seeing a Duncan-era defense lit up the way it was in the second quarter Tuesday. Phoenix scored 39 points, en route to getting 67 for the half, and built the lead up to 20 points early in the third quarter before the Spurs mounted a too-little, too-late comeback. This was doubly notable because it came against the Suns -- a club the Spurs normally defend as well as any team in the league.

"We missed a lot of rotations," said Tim Duncan. "Game-plan wise I think we made a lot of mistakes early on and they capitalized."

"We started soft," said Manu Ginobili. "We gave up [67] points in the first half, that's not who we are. We didn't follow what we were supposed to do and they made a ton of shots."

San Antonio entered the game 10th in defensive efficiency and will likely be a few rungs lower by Wednesday morning -- this after their sixth-place finish a year ago was their worst finish of the Duncan era. Quietly, the Spurs have become primarily an offensive team.

• Richard Jefferson. "We got pathetic games from too many people" said Spurs coach Gregg Popovich, but my question about whether Jefferson might be one of those players was met with crickets.

I'll answer for him then -- Jefferson was awful. He dunked on a sweet baseline drive on the Spurs' second trip and then disappeared the rest of the night, to the point that the Spurs kept him on the bench for the final 6:05 and used Roger Mason in his place.

Jefferson finished 2-of-7 with four points and four rebounds, continuing his struggles to acclimate to the Spurs' offensive attack. He's lost more than five points off his 40-minute average this season, and done it without any increase in shooting accuracy. Worse yet, his problems seem to be getting more acute as the season wears on. Jefferson's best five-game stretch came in early November, but since then he's scored more than 17 points just once in his last 15 games. That hasn't been a major milestone for him in the past  his career average is 17.6.

Jefferson's acquisition was hailed as the missing piece that would help get the Spurs back into the West's elite after losing in the first round a year ago, so his lack of production has been glaring. Without a significant improvement, it's hard to put San Antonio on equal footing with the likes of Denver, Phoenix or Dallas in the Western Conference hierarchy ... let alone the Lakers.

• The turnovers. San Antonio only had 13 miscues Tuesday, a relatively low total for them, but a few proved crucial -- most notably Duncan's only turnover of the night, a poke-check away by Amare Stoudemire on a post-up that led to a game-sealing Goran Dragic lay-up.

The Spurs entered the game just 18th in turnover ratio, a category in which they led the league in a year ago. While some of that is because they're adopted a more attacking mentality on offense, the empty trips are hurting them -- both offensively and in transition defense.

How they resolve those three issues above will likely define their fate the rest of the way. In the Spurs' defense, we did see vestiges of the championship teams of yore Tuesday. The Spurs continued their habit of cutting off Phoenix's running game, limiting the Suns to eight fast-break points. They also suffered from an unexpected 3-point binge by Dragic, who went 4-for-5 shooting triples that the Spurs basically conceded to him -- obviously, that's not a phenomenon we'd expect to repeat in the future.

Nonetheless, we're getting close to uncharted waters for the Spurs. We've seen them hang back in the pack in the early part of the season and make their move late, but not from this deep in the peloton. And while their Rodeo Road Trip in February normally marks the spot where the Spurs turn it up another gear, it's the upcoming batch of schedule -- with a 10-game cookie sheet of winnable games against lesser teams -- that may end up making or breaking their season.

"I'm not sure if it's just chemistry," said Ginobili succinctly. "We're not playing well."

We've heard this song before, of course, and the Spurs have always managed to come out of it with 50-plus wins and a high playoff seed. No sane person is ready to write this team's epitaph, or even to purchase a chisel. We're not used to hearing it this loudly this far into the season, however, and one wonders if there might be a reason for that.

sorry if this was already posted

Ice009
12-16-2009, 05:04 AM
basically you can stamp PATHETIC across RJ's forehead. He was definitely one of the ones Pop was talking about. The ringleader so to speak.

Chieflion
12-16-2009, 05:07 AM
The author could have just written, "The Spurs suck so far this season." and I would have agreed. As a fan, I can only hope the Spurs turn it around soon and beat up a quality team for a change.

Ice009
12-16-2009, 05:13 AM
The author could have just written, "The Spurs suck so far this season." and I would have agreed. As a fan, I can only hope the Spurs turn it around soon and beat up a quality team for a change.

I really feel that teams are giving us their best shots this season. Everyone wants to kill the Spurs, some teams are just playing at a higher level against us than the normally do against other teams.

We just gotta push through this. Gotta come together and not turn on each other.

raspsa
12-16-2009, 05:42 AM
The letdown in the defense is perplexing after the Spurs had showed some improvement in previous games.. this team will only go as far as its defense will allow.

Rebounds
12-16-2009, 06:27 AM
Survive. Just survive.
Get that 8th seed, let younger legs take over letting older legs get their second wind.
Getting the 8th seed has it's consequences but at least we'd be in.

Budkin
12-16-2009, 10:26 AM
It's getting serious now... even Hollinger is worried, haha. Front page of ESPN...

The Truth #6
12-16-2009, 10:34 AM
Hollinger has such a grudge against us. We're clearly an awesome team.

mando6599
12-16-2009, 10:38 AM
Hollinger has never respected the Spurs b/c he's always written some article like this every year. Bleh to him. Go Spurs, we'll recover.

mexicanjunior
12-16-2009, 10:38 AM
Get that 8th seed, let younger legs take over letting older legs get their second wind.
Getting the 8th seed has it's consequences but at least we'd be in.

I'd rather have a lottery ball than the 8th seed and fed to the Lakers...

SenorSpur
12-16-2009, 10:52 AM
Reads more like a eulogy than an article.

Russ
12-16-2009, 10:58 AM
Forecasting the demise of the Spurs is a fool's errand.

Skip Bayless cited this article this morning and stated that he still thinks the Spurs can win the West.

Jefferson's acquisition was hailed as the missing piece that would help get the Spurs back into the West's elite after losing in the first round a year ago, so his lack of production has been glaring. Without a significant improvement, it's hard to put San Antonio on equal footing with the likes of Denver, Phoenix or Dallas in the Western Conference hierarchy ... let alone the Lakers.

Steve Smith had an interesting idea about RJ -- bring him off the bench and start Manu. That would allow RJ to be the "lead dog" of the 2d unit scoringwise. RJ could rebuild his confidence and offensive creativity. Once that is done, RJ could transition back to the starting unit or continue to lead the 2d unit's offense.

SenorSpur
12-16-2009, 11:00 AM
Skip Bayless cited this article this morning and stated that he still thinks the Spurs can win the West.

Steve Smith had an interesting idea about RJ -- bring him off the bench and start Manu. That would allow RJ to be the "lead dog" of the 2d unit scoringwise. RJ could rebuild his confidence and offensive creativity. Once that is done, RJ could transition back to the starting unit or continue to lead the 2d unit's offense.

Hmmmmm. At this point and with the chemistry issues that abound, this sounds like a good idea.

Trimble87
12-16-2009, 11:03 AM
Steve Smith had an interesting idea .

bullshit

mexicanjunior
12-16-2009, 11:05 AM
RJ could rebuild his confidence and offensive creativity.

Benching RJ would do more to damage his confidence than anything...

SenorSpur
12-16-2009, 11:07 AM
Pop has got to do something. Otherwise, we'll be sitting here at midseason still talking about chemistry issues and players "gelling" together.

It's like the article said, "no more excuses"

lefty
12-16-2009, 11:10 AM
This is the wake up call that the Spurs needed.

Chomag
12-16-2009, 11:28 AM
If we were one of those regular NBA teams this wouldn't be all that big of a deal. However this is a WIN NOW season for the spurs. Anything other then a championship would be a complete disaster. IF these guys can't turn it around then by all means the team needs to be blown up.

Lets do what it takes to get at least 1 more for Timmy! The man should have had a few more and he deservs it!

Flux451
12-16-2009, 11:36 AM
Our bench dominates, our starters don't. We need to address this. They should try starting Hairston. Iknow it is not going to happen, but at this point what is going on right now isn't working....at all. I think we have seen enough. For all the praise Bogans has receive...he has had too many defensive lapses. Mason should also start. I am actually looking forward to FIN coming back.

My proposal...an unlikely one.

STARTERS

PARKER
MASON
HAIRSTON
TIM
BONNER

BENCH

HILL
MANU
JEFF
BLAIR
DICE

SpursRulez4eVeR
12-16-2009, 11:36 AM
TUESDAY'S WORST

Richard Jefferson, Keith Bogans and Antonio McDyess, Spurs: You're not going to win many games when 60 percent of your starting lineup combines to score just six points on 3-for-11 shooting.

GooberNuts
12-16-2009, 11:48 AM
McDyess had been pretty lackluster as well...

SenorSpur
12-16-2009, 12:08 PM
As Jemele Hill said on ESPN 1st & 10 this morning, "it seems that the gap is widening - and not just between the Spurs and the Fakers, but between the Spurs and the Nuggets." Denver is probably the 2nd best team in the West right now. At this point, the Spurs are struggling on both ends and look like any other "middle-of-the-pack" team.

phxspurfan
12-16-2009, 12:34 PM
We need a shakeup. Something big. It won't come from the media. This whole "be patient, we'll get it together eventually" subtle message thing isn't working. We're getting too far back in the pack to have championship hopes this season. If we play our hearts out to get a 6-8 seed we're screwed.

AFBlue
12-16-2009, 01:03 PM
I actually thought this was a good article...and I'm not really a Hollinger fan.

It highlights the legitimate concerns while giving all the damn cliff-jumping fans that are coming out of the woodworks some reasons to remain hopeful.

Getting RJ to figure out his role and actually step up to the level of play that he's capable is the biggest concern right now. His development is the difference between a first-round exit or a trip to the conference finals.

Luckily the Spurs have enough talent (if they stay healthy) to win enough games to get them there while they figure it out. Still, it remains a legitimate concern.

Chomag
12-16-2009, 01:10 PM
I actually thought this was a good article...and I'm not really a Hollinger fan.

It highlights the legitimate concerns while giving all the damn cliff-jumping fans that are coming out of the woodworks some reasons to remain hopeful.

Getting RJ to figure out his role and actually step up to the level of play that he's capable is the biggest concern right now. His development is the difference between a first-round exit or a trip to the conference finals.

Luckily the Spurs have enough talent (if they stay healthy) to win enough games to get them there while they figure it out. Still, it remains a legitimate concern.

Good take. Maybe we have all the parts but just not the right tools for the job?