PDA

View Full Version : Your Most Hated Director?...

Duff McCartney
12-16-2009, 03:12 PM
Okay I'll spare myself from putting McG or Uwe Boll on here because they make terrible movies and I'm quite sure they know they make shitty movies.

My most hated director has to be Cameron Crowe. I don't like any of the movies he's made..not Jerry Maguire, Almost Famous, Elizabethtown, Vanilla Sky..I think the only decent thing he's done was Say Anything and writing Fast Times.

Other than Say Anything and his writing of Fast Times at Ridgemont High which he didn't direct thankfully, the rest of his career is crap all his movies are overblown pretentious garbage.

slayermin
12-16-2009, 03:48 PM
Joel Schumacher, Tim Burton, and Michael Bay (except for 'The Island' which I thought was pretty good) come to mind. I want to put Rob Reiner in there but I loved 'Stand By Me' too much to list him.

Spurminator
12-16-2009, 04:18 PM
Almost Famous is one of the best movies of the last ten years. But I'm not really a fan of his other work, including Fast Times.

Michael Bay and Roland Emmerich would be easy choices, but my pick is Tony Scott. Almost of his movies (especially the ones he's done since Crimson Tide) are over-stylized to the point that it takes away from the story. His choices of music seem like they were made by an 8th grade stuck in the 90's (this is a tense scene... how about... Nine Inch Nails! Yeah!)

peewee's lovechild
12-16-2009, 04:46 PM
Rob Cohen for making those piece of shit Fast and Furious bullshit movies.

MiamiHeat
12-16-2009, 05:07 PM
Tarantino

blood and gore gimmick shitty movies.

mrsmaalox
12-16-2009, 05:35 PM
I don't think I hate any directors, but there are some whose work I dislike more than others. And even the ones I'd say I dislike the most, have one or 2 films that I love. So taking into account their general body of work and my personal taste in films, my list would have to include Sam Raimi, John Woo and M. Night Shyamalan.

ginobili's bald spot
12-16-2009, 05:37 PM
Tarantino

blood and gore gimmick shitty movies.

I've never seen anyone with so many insanely stupid opinions on nearly every topic.

mrsmaalox
12-16-2009, 05:39 PM
And since I'm not a LOTR fan, I'm not a huge Peter Jackson fan either.

Ginobilly
12-16-2009, 05:53 PM
Who ever directed new moon.

z0sa
12-16-2009, 06:01 PM
I've never seen anyone with so many insanely stupid opinions on nearly every topic.

He has quite the bevy.

mogrovejo
12-16-2009, 06:31 PM
Oliver Stone, M. Night Shyamalan, Jean Luc-Godard and Bernardo Bertolucci. Add Danny Boyle (I'm not including guys like, say, Brett Ratner, that nobody considers good directors).

whottt
12-16-2009, 06:35 PM
Werner Herzog, for that stupid movie he made about that asshat that got himself, his girlfriend, and the asshats's beloved bears killed, because he was an asshat.

whottt
12-16-2009, 06:37 PM
Oliver Stone
Excellent choice, this guy is now entering his second decade of not making anything but crap.

JFK was his last good movie. He should just give up the ghost and go get a job as an editor for the National Enquirer.

M. Night Shyamalan

Also a good one, this guy started out looking like a genius of rare caliber and has quickly revealed himself to be a one trick pony whose every move can be predicted.

Ginobilly
12-16-2009, 06:48 PM
Oliver Stone, M. Night Shyamalan, Jean Luc-Godard and Bernardo Bertolucci. Add Danny Boyle (I'm not including guys like, say, Brett Ratner, that nobody considers good directors).

Really?? He got Eva Green to walk around naked for 2 hours. That alone is enough to put him in who's your most fav director thread.

In10se
12-16-2009, 06:56 PM
I give directors these days a pass because humans have been making films for so long there really isn't any brave new ground to break anymore. We've seen it all before so nothing is going to really amaze us.

Strike
12-16-2009, 07:10 PM
Brett Ratner. X Men III, Rush Hour Trilogy, Red Dragon, Money Talks, The Family Man, etc. All giant turds in my opinion.

Joel Schumacher. St. Elmo's Fire, The Lost Boys and Flatliners don't make up for Batman Forever, Batman And Robin, 8MM, Bad Company, Phonebooth, or The Number 23.

M. Night Shamalamadingdong. The only movie I liked from him was The Sixth Sense. Everything after that have been shit.

Peter Jackson. I hated The Lord Of The Rings. All of them. I can't even read the books anymore because of them. I'm stuck with Elijah Wood and that douche nozzle Orlando Bloom in my head when I try.

Barry Sonnenfeld. Once again, a good movie (Get Shorty) doesn't make up for all the crap he's done (Wild Wild West, the Addams Family movies and RV).

lil_penny
12-16-2009, 08:38 PM
M night by far is the worst.. besides the 6th sense the rest are complete garbage.

Bender
12-16-2009, 10:40 PM
I guess M. Night is pretty bad. I liked the first LOTR movie. also, to the OP, I thought Almost Famous was good too.

MiamiHeat
12-16-2009, 10:56 PM

simpleton's wouldn't understand, so I don't judge you, don't worry.

The Reckoning
12-16-2009, 11:01 PM
spielberg after killing AI

Dr. Gonzo
12-16-2009, 11:05 PM
The person that directed Too Wong Foo Thanks For Everything Julie Newmar.

Trainwreck2100
12-17-2009, 12:09 AM
i don't think m night shamalamiham is a good director, but unbreakable was a decent movie

Xylus
12-17-2009, 01:54 AM
Peter Jackson. I hated The Lord Of The Rings. All of them. I can't even read the books anymore because of them. I'm stuck with Elijah Wood and that douche nozzle Orlando Bloom in my head when I try.

Man, how can anyone like the books and hate the movies? In a rare occurrence, the movies were actually better than the books!

leemajors
12-17-2009, 08:54 AM
Man, how can anyone like the books and hate the movies? In a rare occurrence, the movies were actually better than the books!

No.

B-Hath
12-17-2009, 01:15 PM
Gore Verbinski - for giving us that steaming pile of elephant crap, Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End. Your owe me $8 Gore Verbinski!!!!!

monosylab1k
12-17-2009, 01:17 PM
spielberg after killing AI

and minority report
and war of the worlds

monosylab1k
12-17-2009, 01:17 PM
Spielberg is the king of making 3/4 of a great movie and then killing it with a terrible ending.

Duff McCartney
12-17-2009, 01:39 PM

What? Those movies were classics. But regardless, The Frighteners was a really great movie. I liked it alot. He did a good job directing it.

Barry Sonnenfeld. Once again, a good movie (Get Shorty) doesn't make up for all the crap he's done (Wild Wild West, the Addams Family movies and RV)

What? Addams Family movies were some funny ass movies. They have these dry comedic lines that are brilliant.

Strike
12-17-2009, 06:24 PM

I disagree completely. And I'm not saying your opinion is wrong, only that I disagree. For me, the books were much better than the movies. Probably because I read the trilogy (and The Hobbit) at least half a dozen times before the movies were even created, much less released. Much of the imagery in my imagination was different from that of the movies. Maybe "hate" is too strong a word for my opinion of the movies but, compared to the books and what they meant to me as a kid, I didn't like the movies.

Strike
12-17-2009, 06:27 PM
What? Those movies were classics. But regardless, The Frighteners was a really great movie. I liked it alot. He did a good job directing it.

I liked The Frighteners. Didn't like the Rings Trilogy.

What? Addams Family movies were some funny ass movies. They have these dry comedic lines that are brilliant.

I saw the Addams Family in the theatre. A few funny scenes and some funny lines but, overall, I didn't care for it. I thought Addams Family Values was straight horrible. Just didn't like it at all.

Strike
12-17-2009, 06:30 PM
Tim Pope (The Crow: City Of Angels). Well, can't really say I hate him overall as a director. But, The Crow: City Of Angels was possibly the shittiest movie I ever paid to see. My wallet can't talk but I'm sure it felt raped after I paid 8 bucks to see that abortion of a movie.

CuckingFunt
12-17-2009, 06:39 PM
Schumacher. Tony Scott. And fucking Spielberg and Lucas.

All four have made movies that I've liked, for the record, but in every case it was in spite of their direction rather than because of it.

ChumpDumper
12-17-2009, 06:44 PM
Excellent choice, this guy is now entering his second decade of not making anything but crap.

JFK was his last good movie. He should just give up the ghost and go get a job as an editor for the National Enquirer.I thought JFK was a train wreck and Nixon was quite good. Stone has made a bunch of crap since then.

panic giraffe
12-17-2009, 06:45 PM

why danny boyle? seriously i've liked everything he did

whottt
12-17-2009, 08:25 PM
I thought JFK was a train wreck and Nixon was quite good. Stone has made a bunch of crap since then.

And naturally, I disagree. I don't think they are even on the same map in terms of entertainment value, if only because Nixon and Kennedy do not compare in terms of interest.

But let's say you give Nixon the edge:

1. In terms of managing a truly all star cast to good or great performances. I'd say both Nixon and JFK rank among the greatest films of that sort. All that said, JFK has the more impressive cast.

2. In historical accuracy(and I don't go to see movies for historical accuracy, although I will judge ones that I think suck by that criteria). Ok fine.

JFK still has the ultimate trump card, because in JFK Stone actually got Kevin Costner to maintain some semblance of an accent at least 30% of the time for the entire movie. That is inarguably a top 5 Directorial acheivement of all time...therefore, not complete crap. Automatically and instantly, far from it in fact.

JFK FTW

The Reckoning
12-17-2009, 08:30 PM
The Doors was a good movie

ChumpDumper
12-17-2009, 08:32 PM
And naturally, I disagree. I don't think they are even on the same map in terms of entertainment value, if only because Nixon and Kennedy do not compare in terms of interest.

But let's say you give Nixon the edge:

1. In terms of managing a truly all star cast to good or great performances. I'd say both Nixon and JFK rank among the greatest films of that sort. All that said, JFK has the more impressive cast.

2. In historical accuracy(and I don't go to see movies for historical accuracy, although I will judge ones that I think suck by that criteria). Ok fine.

JFK still has the ultimate trump card, because in JFK Stone actually got Kevin Costner to maintain some semblance of an accent at least 30% of the time for the entire movie. That is inarguably a top 5 Directorial acheivement of all time...therefore, not complete crap. Automatically and instantly, far from it in fact.

JFK FTWBut Nixon didn't have Costner in it at all.

Advantage: Nixon.

In fact, the worst part of that movie was where it referenced JFK, complete with the snare drum soundtrack clip.

JFK FTL.

whottt
12-17-2009, 10:17 PM
But Nixon didn't have Costner in it at all.

Advantage: Nixon.

Normally you might be right, except that unfortunately for you(and me) Nixon had a lot more Nixon in it than JFK.

Which is why:

In fact, the worst part of that movie was where it referenced JFK, complete with the snare drum soundtrack clip.

JFK FTL.

Still doesn't trump my initial argument. You see whether there was or wasn't enough Kennedy in JFK, whether what was or was not in the film concerning JFK was well done, or not, it's still not as relevant to this particular discssion as the fact that there was was definitely too much Nixon in Nixon, Anthony Hopkins be damned,.

JFK FTW

ChumpDumper
12-17-2009, 10:24 PM
Normally you might be right, except that unfortunately for you(and me)Nixon had a lot more Nixon in it than JFK.That was the best part -- JFK had no JFK in it.

Still doesn't trump my initial argument. You see whether there or wasn't enough Kennedy in JFK, whether what was or was not in the film concerning JFK was well done, or not, it's still not as relevant to this particular discssion as the fact that there was was definitely too much Nixon in Nixon, Anthony Hopkins be damned,.

JFK FTWThat sums it up to me.

JFK wasn't even interesting enough to be a character in a movie called JFK -- that or there hasn't been a filmmaker honest enough to explore his character the way Stone did Nixon.

JFK FTL.

Crappy TV miniseries makers? Maybe. I haven't seen them.

MiamiHeat
12-17-2009, 11:39 PM
The Doors was a good movie

The Doors was a piece of shit movie because it was a complete lie.

The Doors themselves went to the media to denounce the movie and expose Stone for trying to pass it off as anything but complete fiction

same thing with JFK, Alexander, andetc....

complete bullshit, revisionist history movies. Stone sucks cock.

Natural Born Killers and Any Given Sunday are the only ones I like of his

MiamiHeat
12-17-2009, 11:43 PM
oh, and I haven't seen Inglorious Basterds yet

but Quentin Tarantino really is a blood and gore gimmick hack. i can imagine teenagers enjoying all the extreme violence and exaggerated blood in them.

ChumpDumper
12-17-2009, 11:58 PM
but Quentin Tarantino really is a blood and gore gimmick hack.Death Proof was basically a foot fetish reel disguised as a feature film. At least Russ Meyer was obsessed with breasts.

whottt
12-18-2009, 12:55 AM
That was the best part -- JFK had no JFK in it.

That sums it up to me.

Well first of all, JFK did indeed have some JFK in it.
Secondly, I agree that the amount of JFK in JFK is a lesser or even moot factor when compared to how much Nixon was in Nixon.

It's exactly the point I am making.

JFK wasn't even interesting enough to be a character in a movie called JFK -- that or there hasn't been a filmmaker honest enough to explore his character the way Stone did Nixon.

JFK FTL.

Crappy TV miniseries makers? Maybe. I haven't seen them.

Or it could just be that the initials and focus on events leading up the event, the actual event, and what immediately followed the event, starring a slightly above average acting talent were of more interest than the totality of Nixon's life starring an Oscar winner with tons of both critical and commercial acclaim. Not to mention any all other films and things having to do with him.

A quick look at the box office reults of both films and all other films featuring Nixon prominently, would seem to indicate it's a strong possiblity.

There's also the fact that one of them was assasinated in office and is more or less left alone as an entertainment property out of respect....the major exception of course being a profit oriented man of the people named Oliver Stone.

slayermin
12-18-2009, 01:26 AM
If you believe there was a conspiracy, then 'JFK' is one the greatest films ever made. But if you're like me, convinced Oswald was the lone gunmen, the film loses it's luster. There is no denying that Oliver Stone is a great filmmaker. If you know any Vietnam Veterans, his three films, 'Platoon,' 'Heaven and Earth' and 'Born on the 4th of July,' hits home. It does for me.

He also wrote 'Salvador' and 'Scarface.' And I think he co-wrote 'Conan the Barbarian.' I consider him a great filmmaker.

whottt
12-18-2009, 01:28 AM
His best film is The Hand .IMVHO :tu

whottt
12-18-2009, 01:30 AM
Natural Born Killers and Any Given Sunday are the only ones I like of his

I didn't like either one of those. He already sucked for me by the time he made those.

ChumpDumper
12-18-2009, 01:54 AM
Well first of all, JFK did indeed have some JFK in it.Who played him?

Secondly, I agree that the amount of JFK in JFK is a lesser or even moot factor when compared to how much Nixon was in Nixon.

It's exactly the point I am making.Exactly.

Or it could just be that the initials and focus on events leading up the event, the actual event, and what immediately followed the event, starring a slightly above average acting talent were of more interest than the totality of Nixon's life starring an Oscar winner with tons of both critical and commercial acclaim. Not to mention any all other films and things having to do with him.

A quick look at the box office reults of both films and all other films featuring Nixon prominently, would seem to indicate it's a strong possiblity.More popular = better?

Nice.

There are some very popular Daniel Day-Lewis films out there.

There's also the fact that one of them was assasinated in office and is more or less left alone as an entertainment property out of respect....the major exception of course being a profit oriented man of the people named Oliver Stone.No, there have been several films about JFK, but any one of note really boils down to one of two things -- the Cuban missile crisis and the assassination. Neither ends up really fleshing out JFK as a biographical character -- in fact, they tend to beatify him, which seems to be quite far from reality. I personally don't think the rest of his life is so boring or sacrosanct that it should be verboten to filmmakers, but that's me.

whottt
12-18-2009, 02:56 AM
Who played him

Himself...

More popular = better?

Usually yes....depending heavily on the factors defining popularity.

There are some very popular Daniel Day-Lewis films out there.

:lmao, I was wondering what this was about :lol

There really aren't some very popular Daniel Day-Lewis films out there. Not without a damn good reason for it other than Daniel Day-Lewis. There aren't any as successful as JFK.

Just because DDL might be more interesting than Nixon(sometimes) doesn't mean he's popular.

No, there have been several films about JFK, but any one of note really boils down to one of two things -- the Cuban missile crisis and the assassination. Neither ends up really fleshing out JFK as a biographical character -- in fact, they tend to beatify him, which seems to be quite far from reality. I personally don't think the rest of his life is so boring or sacrosanct that it should be verboten to filmmakers, but that's me.

Well it's not officially verbooten, just doesn't seem to be an idea many people in the film industry are comfortable with.

The Reckoning
12-18-2009, 03:31 AM
The Doors was a piece of shit movie because it was a complete lie.

The Doors themselves went to the media to denounce the movie and expose Stone for trying to pass it off as anything but complete fiction

same thing with JFK, Alexander, andetc....

complete bullshit, revisionist history movies. Stone sucks cock.

if it was revisionist history itd be called a documentary. directors cant have artistic license anymore? portraying a legend is more artistic than a fact. its a movie not a history class.

ChumpDumper
12-18-2009, 04:05 AM
Himself...Wow.

I bet he won the Oscar for best file footage.

Usually yes....depending heavily on the factors defining popularity.So Independence Day is a better film than Lawrence of Arabia.

:lmao, I was wondering what this was about :lol

There really aren't some very popular Daniel Day-Lewis films out there. Not without a damn good reason for it other than Daniel Day-Lewis. There aren't any as successful as JFK.What was the reason for Last of the Mohicans? I don't really care much for or about DDL, but your rant about him was entertaining.

Just because DDL might be more interesting than Nixon(sometimes) doesn't mean he's popular.I think his relative popularity makes him popular. He's no Shia LaBoeuf, I agree -- but he did get a bunch of people to see There Will be Blood by just sitting there and staring at the camera during a preview.

Well it's not officially verbooten, just doesn't seem to be an idea many people in the film industry are comfortable with.Why not?

MiamiHeat
12-18-2009, 06:48 AM
if it was revisionist history itd be called a documentary.

Don't you mean if it wasn't revisionist history, it'd be a documentary?

directors cant have artistic license anymore? portraying a legend is more artistic than a fact. its a movie not a history class.

No, they can't have artistic license when he :

- markets a movie named "JFK" and it's about the assassination of JFK.

- markets a movie named "The Doors" and it's about the band

- markets a movie named "Alexander" and it's about the historical Alexander

in each of those movies, he went to the media claiming he had ACTUAL historians/first hand sources and that it's "accurate"

for instance, he claims the Doors is accurate, even though Morrison and others went to the media and were like WTF?

same thing for most of his bullshit

admiralsnackbar
12-18-2009, 07:26 AM
for instance, he claims the Doors is accurate, even though Morrison and others went to the media and were like WTF?

I think The Doors was as idiotic as anyone, but I'm pretty sure this assertion is necessarily false for obvious reasons.

mrose31
12-18-2009, 07:44 AM
Paul Thomas Anderson

I know a lot of people love his movies but I think they are slow and boring. I care a lot more about being entertained than watching great acting I guess that is just me.

monosylab1k
12-18-2009, 11:30 AM

yeah, Jim Morrison's been dead for quite some time now, pal.

SA210
12-18-2009, 12:30 PM
Who ever directed new moon.

SA210
Rob Cohen for making those piece of shit Fast and Furious bullshit movies.

SA210
M. Night Shyamalan

Strike

Damn, beat me to it. But I have read things about the rest of the band being unhappy with the film and the way Stone made Jim Morrison look. Apparantly, Patricia Kennealy was very unhappy with the portrayal of her.

Though I think Val Kilmer did a good job based on what he had to work with. But, as a whole, the movie was really bad in my opinion.

z0sa
12-18-2009, 12:35 PM

Really dude?

peewee's lovechild
12-18-2009, 12:35 PM
I like how Morrison came back from the dead to blast Stone.

peewee's lovechild
12-18-2009, 12:36 PM
Schumacher.

Mother. Fucker.

He raped Batman. Even The Joker never fucked with Batman the way this douche did.

He probably still masturbates to Batman's nipples at home.

admiralsnackbar
12-18-2009, 12:38 PM
I tend to hate directors based on how short they fall of what they seem to be capable of, so based on this, I think Rob Zombie needs to hang it up. It's like he's a fan of horror movies without understanding what makes things scary. Does it really make Michael Meyers scarier to humanize him with a psychobabble account of his evil-ification? Isn't it scarier to keep him an incomprehensible mystery? And does his endless series of references to other films actually do anything but take audiences out of the drama at hand and remind them that they're just watching a movie (and a shit one at that)?

Strike
12-18-2009, 12:38 PM
I like how Morrison came back from the dead to blast Stone.

Yeah, I haven't heard anything about Ray Charles coming back from the dead to blast Jamie Foxx's performance. Guess Ray must have liked the movie.

Strike
12-18-2009, 12:40 PM
I tend to hate directors based on how short they fall of what they seem to be capable of, so based on this, I think Rob Zombie needs to hang it up. It's like he's a fan of horror movies without understanding what makes things scary. Does it really make Michael Meyers scarier to humanize him with a psychobabble account of his evil-ification? Isn't it scarier to keep him an incomprehensible mystery? And does his endless series of references to other films actually do anything but take audiences out of the drama at hand and remind them that they're just watching a movie (and a shit one at that)?

Agreed. I liked House of 1000 Corpses and The Devils Rejects. Those were the last Rob Zombie movies I liked. Halloween and Friday The 13th blew hairy goat ass.

peewee's lovechild
12-18-2009, 12:40 PM
Yeah, I haven't heard anything about Ray Charles coming back from the dead to blast Jamie Foxx's performance. Guess Ray must have liked the movie.

I heard that he jumped out of Foxx's closet and tried to force the butt sex on him but that he couldn't because he's still blind, even in death, and instead fucked his belly button thinking that Foxx was the tightest virgin he'd ever had.

peewee's lovechild
12-18-2009, 12:42 PM
Agreed. I liked House of 1000 Corpses and The Devils Rejects. Those were the last Rob Zombie movies I liked. Halloween and Friday The 13th blew hairy goat ass.

I don't like anything by Zombie, music or movies.

But, I was told that he did the animation for the bug-out desert scene in Beavis and Butthead Do America, so I'll give him props for that.

Strike
12-18-2009, 12:43 PM
I heard that he jumped out of Foxx's closet and tried to force the butt sex on him but that he couldn't because he's still blind, even in death, and instead fucked his belly button thinking that Foxx was the tightest virgin he'd ever had.

This post is full of
http://sarcasticgamer.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/win-button.jpg

peewee's lovechild
12-18-2009, 12:45 PM
Hahaha, I just pictured him doing that screaming "She gives me money, when I'm in need!".

Hahaha.

CuckingFunt
12-18-2009, 01:34 PM
Oliver Stone is an interesting case. He strikes me as a complete douche in person and I hate almost every film he's made (except U-Turn for some reason that even I can't comprehend) other than Natural Born Killers.

Despite that, I can't really put him on my list of hated directors because I usually think his work is interesting enough that I'll watch it at least once, and because Natural Born Killers is easily one of my favorite movies of the past couple decades. Only thing he's done that I don't think is crap, but it's a home run.

The Doors, for the record, was an absolutely horrible movie with an amazing performance at its core.

peewee's lovechild
12-18-2009, 01:49 PM
Oliver Stone is an interesting case. He strikes me as a complete douche in person and I hate almost every film he's made (except U-Turn for some reason that even I can't comprehend) other than Natural Born Killers.

Despite that, I can't really put him on my list of hated directors because I usually think his work is interesting enough that I'll watch it at least once, and because Natural Born Killers is easily one of my favorite movies of the past couple decades. Only thing he's done that I don't think is crap, but it's a home run.

The Doors, for the record, was an absolutely horrible movie with an amazing performance at its core.

Platoon and Any Given Sunday make me forgive everything else.

I like Born on the 4th of July, Wall Street, Salvador, and JFK. But, I don't rave about them like many do.

peewee's lovechild
12-18-2009, 01:50 PM
You gotta admit, he has produced some of the most unlikable antagonists in cinematic history.

da_suns_fan
12-18-2009, 01:53 PM
Michael Bay.

IronMexican
12-18-2009, 01:55 PM

:lmao:lmao:lmao

That just might be MH's stupidest post on he site. That speaks volumes.

slayermin
12-18-2009, 02:20 PM
His best film is The Hand .IMVHO :tu

I saw that at a drive in. Good movie.

leemajors
12-18-2009, 02:23 PM
I was surprised to see that Schumacher directed Tigerland (during the credits, I didn't check while watching), because I kinda liked it. I don't really care for Colin either, but that movie was interesting if nothing else.

slayermin
12-18-2009, 02:31 PM
I was surprised to see that Schumacher directed Tigerland (during the credits, I didn't check while watching), because I kinda liked it. I don't really care for Colin either, but that movie was interesting if nothing else.

I thought it was decent. I haven't seen it in a while but I seem to recall thinking it reminded me of 'Tribes' as I watched it.

I hate to admit it but I liked 'Cousins.' But that had more to do with my obsession with Isabella Rosselini than anything else.

panic giraffe
12-18-2009, 02:42 PM
I think The Doors was as idiotic as anyone, but I'm pretty sure this assertion is necessarily false for obvious reasons.

yea i'm no history of rock professor, but i'm pretty sure Jim Morrison was long gone way before that movie came out.

but what would you expect from someone who was probably born after kurt cobain died....

admiralsnackbar
12-18-2009, 03:18 PM
but what would you expect from someone who was probably born after kurt cobain died....

This wouldn't be so funny to me if MH didn't make it a stand-by of his repertoire to assume he's older and wiser than everybody who disagrees with him :lol

The Reckoning
12-18-2009, 03:52 PM
ha

i think Stone's idea was more of molding Morrison and Bacchus into Val Kilmer's character to create a larger-than-life version of the band. it was fiction, but then again most history is fictionalized, and it was intended to be.

shakespeare (not comparing stone and shakespeare) wrote a play called Julius Caesar. it was based on historical significances but was far from fact. historical fiction is nothing new.

why don't you write Jim an email and ask him yourself, MH? i think he lives somewhere in Paris now.

whottt
12-18-2009, 04:49 PM

I think the general consensus is that at one point Stone was very good and at some point in the 90's he started to churn out crap. I think the it's the point at which he stopped making mainly good movies and started churning out mainly crap that is the heart of the debate.

His early efforts were more often than not good...

MiamiHeat
12-18-2009, 04:56 PM
yea i'm no history of rock professor, but i'm pretty sure Jim Morrison was long gone way before that movie came out.

ok, so it's been a long time since I talked about Stone and The Doors

but the other members of the band DID discredit the movie

Densmore and others

I said Morrison and others, a mistake, big deal.

my post remains fact when you correct the Morrison part

MiamiHeat
12-18-2009, 04:58 PM
This wouldn't be so funny to me if MH didn't make it a stand-by of his repertoire to assume he's older and wiser than everybody who disagrees with him :lol

hey doofus, anyone makes mistakes. The BAND DID DISCREDIT THE MOVIE, I said "morrison and others" so obviously I made a mistake.

I am 26, not 66, so I didn't live through, I only know all of this stuff by memory, and I made a MINOR mistake.

The fact is, the band members did discredit the movie.

CuckingFunt
12-18-2009, 04:59 PM

Considering that his death was included in the movie... I'm thinking that's a good bet.

MiamiHeat
12-18-2009, 05:00 PM

yeah, woops

should have wrote "the band and others"

guys like densmore and others discredited the movie.

still the same shit.

CuckingFunt
12-18-2009, 05:01 PM
I think the general consensus is that at one point Stone was very good and at some point in the 90's he started to churn out crap. I think the it's the point at which he stopped making mainly good movies and started churning out mainly crap that is the heart of the debate.

His early efforts were more often than not good...

As is the case with this entire thread, really comes down to a matter of opinion. I've seen his earlier films and didn't like them. Natural Born Killers, released 1994, was the first (and remains the only) of his films that I didn't think was crap.

z0sa
12-18-2009, 05:05 PM
I said Morrison and others

:lmao what an ignorant dumbass. You didn't even watch the movie, we know now.

whottt
12-18-2009, 05:10 PM
Wow.

I bet he won the Oscar for best file footage.

In it whether he did or not.

So Independence Day is a better film than Lawrence of Arabia.

Probably not.....I mean you are talking about 30-40 year difference in release dates. Different viewing audiences. The potential audience for any film is now much larger.

It's definitely more watchachable than any Daniel Day-Lewis movie outside of Gangs of New York. The only truly good, watchable movie Daniel Day-Lewis has ever featured in prominently.

What was the reason for Last of the Mohicans? I don't really care much for or about DDL, but your rant about him was entertaining.

It really wasn't that successful of a film considering how talked about and hyped up it was. It was hyped by every critic in the business and lots of stupid people fell for it. I myself attempted to sit through it twice, at the theater.

And yes I consider myself stupid for doing that. Extremely. I should have known it was not my fault I fell asleep in it the first time, that it was indeed the personal charisma and acting ability of Daniel Day-Lewis that caused that.

Last of the Mohicans came out after JFK, it grossed @130 million dollars less. It's certainly not any kind of success when compared to JFK, and I'd say it was an out and out failrue considering all the critical hype it got.

The only truly successful movie Daniel Day-Lewis has been in was Gangs of New York. It also had a massive amount of critical acclaim, and there's a guy named Leonardo in that particular film that tends to pull big audiences.

I think his relative popularity makes him popular.

I don't. I think he's entirely a construct of film critics and the Academy and without a massive amount of hype(and even with it) he is a poor audience draw who makes unmemorable movies.

He is without a doubt the most over-rated actor in history.

He's no Shia LaBoeuf, I agree -- but he did get a bunch of people to see There Will be Blood by just sitting there and staring at the camera during a preview.

Why not?

No but they did get people to see it by hyping the shit out of it and awarding an Oscar or so to it. Considering the amount of hype it got, it wasn't successful at all.

I think the big acclaim it got was that the cinematography was ground breaking and would revolutionize films...shit like that.

I mean Pauly Shore movies used to pull in 30-40 million in the early 90's being critically panned and with a guy whose primary talent was making you want to see him get his ass kicked....and that's actually better than the average Daniel Day-Lewis movie does that is unaccompanied by 15 Oscar nominations and universal critical hype.

admiralsnackbar
12-18-2009, 05:32 PM
hey doofus, anyone makes mistakes. The BAND DID DISCREDIT THE MOVIE, I said "morrison and others" so obviously I made a mistake.

I am 26, not 66, so I didn't live through, I only know all of this stuff by memory, and I made a MINOR mistake.

The fact is, the band members did discredit the movie.

Relax, man -- I was just taking a piss. I'll be the first to tell you I make mistakes all the time. Big ones.

OT -- I honestly do think it's funny you choose to lecture people about your vast and worldly experience at the worn, decrepit age of 26, but whatevs: that's you, and dad-gummit, we like ya! :lol

MiamiHeat
12-29-2009, 07:26 PM
so I just saw DEATH PROOF

or, more like it, I had to turn it off because it was more of the same.

Tarantino = DISGUSTING BLOOD AND GORE GIMMICK director. Legs flying out of windows, close up shots of bloody women, disgusting.

Movies for kids who like to go "OOOOH LOOK AT THAT! DID U SEE THAT? AWESOME, DAMN!!!"

oh, and he loves to overuse the 60's-70's retro theme.