PDA

View Full Version : Start George Hill

imagevo
12-16-2009, 05:42 PM
First and foremost, Pop needs to take TP out behind the shed and just beat some good defense into him. RJ needs to get punched in the face for his lack of motivation. Pop needs to get PISSED at these players because he needs to break up the status quo (that losing is acceptable) that seems to be forming on the team right now.

More seriously though:

Starting Five:

Tim Duncan: Enough Said

Tony Parker: Main scoring option, not a pass first PG, terrible defense.

George Hill:Great defender, athletic, can score from the outside, can slash to the basket, brings energy, motivated

Antonio McDyess: Solid, can rebound, needs to be more aggressive offensively

Keith Bogans: Decent defender, needs to bring offense against non-shit teams

I think TD and TP are our main scoring options. Hill was used to playing as a SG before joining the spurs, he can score, and he's also far better than RJ on defense (and offense at least from what we've seen this season). With Hill out on the floor we can also compensate for the lack of defense Parker brings. Dice is usually solid although he needs to be more aggressive and take more shots. Bogans is a decent defender but he can only bring offensive play against crap teams. I think Mason is also a decent defender but he is a solid spot up shooter and can score for us. Basically, this line up seems to be a solid combination of both defense and offense.

Second Unit

Manu Ginobili: brings energy, can shoot from the outside, can slash, can play defense, excellent passer, pretty much has no weakness other than being inconsistent (probably will not play like the mini kobe bryant that he was before but will still be our third best player by far)

Richard Jefferson: Athletic, can slash, if motivated can be a decent defender, needs to show up and play in big games

Dejuan Blair: the beast, brings energy, gets boards, can score, has potential to change games, needs more playing time and experience

Roger Mason: when confident he is an excellent spot-up shooter, plays decent defense, can set up plays, needs more confidence and consistency

Matt Bonner: big offensive option, can spread the floor, shows heart, has a funny blog, needs to learn how to play defense

From the bench Ginobili can bring his usual energy and also Ginobili seems to be good at setting up RJ with scoring opportunities. RJ needs to slash and get the shit knocked out of him and become fearless. With Manu out on the court it might give him some motivation, since Manu brings so much energy. Blair is an absolute beast. Given the opportunity he can be a game changer. He also brings incredible energy to the floor. Mason seems to connect well with Blair. Mason also might get increased confidence since his starting line-up "replacement" will be playing in the second unit with him as well. Mason can also handle the ball when he needs to although he really shouldn't be a pg. With Manu on the floor though the ball won't be in Mason's hands for too long. Manu can create plays since he doesn't slash as much.

I need feedback because I'm not a basketball coach nor do I pretend to be, so for all of you that "know shit about basketball" please tell me if I don't.

ajballer4
12-16-2009, 05:49 PM
I like GH3 starting but I think instead of Bogans...

imagevo
12-16-2009, 05:54 PM
The only problem with Hill replacing Bogans is that Jefferson will remain invisible on the floor (since he doesn't seem to mesh well when playing with TP). Unless TP can learn how to pass without a turnover for every two assists I could see that working. I think for now, though, TP is a great scoring PG and option so Jefferson might not be as productive as he could be with TP on the floor.

Bogans does need to prove himself in bigger games, but RJ does too.

TMTTRIO
12-16-2009, 05:55 PM
I kind of think Manu needs to start. He can't be the Sixth man that he's always been known for and can come right out and contribute right away and bring all the energy like he used to. We need a lot of energy off the bench and I think Hill would make the perfect Sixth man now.

Spursmania
12-16-2009, 05:58 PM
i like gh3 starting but i think instead of bogans...

+1

ducks
12-16-2009, 06:06 PM
hills d is overrated
his feet move very slowly
only thing makes him look decent is his wingspan

imagevo
12-16-2009, 06:06 PM
But do you guys really want a worthless RJ on the floor?

I don't know I just think he'd get a lot more effective if he came off the bench

Bukefal
12-16-2009, 06:10 PM
:lol

yavozerb
12-16-2009, 06:38 PM
And have mason run the 2nd unit..no thanks

imagevo
12-16-2009, 07:03 PM
And have mason run the 2nd unit..no thanks

Well it would kind of be Manu and Mason running the floor. I know Mason was pretty terrible running the 2nd unit last season but this season our 2nd unit is a lot better.

I dunno though..

Ice009
12-16-2009, 07:53 PM
hills d is overrated
his feet move very slowly
only thing makes him look decent is his wingspan

I actually agree with you for once Ducks, but then again you could have just ripped that off of me as I said the same thing yesterday.

senorglory
12-16-2009, 07:54 PM
no, no, no. here's how it's meant to go down:

Starting:
Parker
Mason
Jefferson
Duncan
McDyess

Lotsa Minutes Off the Bench:
Hill
Manu
Blair
Bonner

Less Minutes/Situational:
Bogans
Ratliff

Lord (Pop) Only Knows:
Haislip
Hairston
Mahinmi

Kamnik
12-16-2009, 08:13 PM

Starting:
Parker
Mason
Jefferson
Duncan
McDyess

Hill
Manu
Blair
Bonner

Bogans
Ratliff

Lord (Pop) Only Knows:
Haislip
Hairston
Mahinmi

And we got a winner!

Ice009
12-16-2009, 08:14 PM
Hairston actually needs a chance.

Seriously the way RJ is playing then it is a slap in the face for Malik to not get a chance. A real chance not 2 minutes a game.

L.I.T
12-16-2009, 08:36 PM
Well it would kind of be Manu and Mason running the floor. I know Mason was pretty terrible running the 2nd unit last season but this season our 2nd unit is a lot better.

I dunno though..

Mason should never be a PG in the NBA, except in certain situations; ie. every other PG capable player on the team has blown out various body parts (including Duncan).

Last year the forum was in consistent meltdown mode over Mason as our backup PG and now that we have a a decent (if massively overrated one on this forum) backup in Hill we're clamoring to hand the backup position back to Mason?

Oh how short the memory of Spurs fans be.

bigdog
12-16-2009, 08:38 PM
Mason should never run point. I think the only way he can produce on this team is when he starts. Coming off the bench, he's ice cold and can never get into a rhythm.

Hill needs to run the 2nd unit.

itzsoweezee
12-16-2009, 09:22 PM
Cosign!

starting hill is so obvious. will popovich make the common sense move? past history suggests no.

lennyalderette
12-16-2009, 09:26 PM
+100 start hill!!! Bench tony longoria

ajballer4
12-16-2009, 09:27 PM

Starting:
Parker
Mason
Jefferson
Duncan
McDyess

Hill
Manu
Blair
Bonner

Bogans
Ratliff

Lord (Pop) Only Knows:
Haislip
Hairston
Mahinmi

What about Fin Dog when he comes back?

mystargtr34
12-16-2009, 09:56 PM
George Hill is a little over rated defensively.

HarlemHeat37
12-16-2009, 09:58 PM
I think you guys have high expectations for a defensive PG..it's almost impossible to be a great defensive PG in today's NBA..

senorglory
12-16-2009, 11:34 PM
What about Fin Dog when he comes back?

oh yeah, Fin Dog in the Lotsa Minutes Off the Bench category.