PDA

View Full Version : Chris Henry involved in an accident in Charlotte. Injuries are believed to be very se

JoshO501
12-16-2009, 06:04 PM
http://www.sbnation.com/2009/12/16/1203760/chris-henry-accident-serious-injuries-bengals

Dec 16, 2009 - According to a report from Cincinnati Inquirer beat writer Joe Reedy, Bengals WR Chris Henry was involved in a car accident in Charlotte today. From Reedy:

Chris Henry involved in an accident in Charlotte. Injuries are believed to be very serious

Details are still emerging, and as with many reports of this nature, it's tempting to panic or jump to conclusions, so we'll reserve any speculation. You can read more on Henry at SB Nation's Cincy Jungle, and one thing's for certain: if true, and his injuries are indeed "very serious" it would be another massive setback for a player that has seen his fair share over the years.

After extensive off-field drama throughout the early part of his career, it seemed that Henry had finally found his comfort zone in Cincinnat. Here's to hoping that he's okay.

stretch
12-16-2009, 06:20 PM
are these actually serious? or just scratches on the face like tiger?

JoshO501
12-16-2009, 06:27 PM
I just read on twitter hes dead.

Shank
12-16-2009, 06:31 PM
Cincinnati Bengals wide receiver Chris Henry was injured after coming out of the back of a pickup truck during a domestic dispute in north Charlotte.

Officers were called out to Oakdale Road near I-485 and Statesville Road just before noon in reference to a person down. When officers arrived, they found Henry in the road, with life-threatening injuries.

Paramedics transported Henry to Carolinas Medical Center, where he is being treated, according to police.

Police say Henry was involved in a "domestic situation" with his fiancee at 840 Peachtree Road. His fiancee, who was not named in a press release, got into a pickup truck and drove away from the home. As she was driving, police say, Henry jumped into the bed of the truck.

The domestic dispute continued between the driver of the truck and Henry. At some point, Henry came out of the back of the vehicle.

He was found by police about half a mile from the house in question.

A team spokesman confirmed that the parents of Henry's fiancee live in Charlotte, though it's unclear if he was visiting them.

Henry, No. 15 on the Bengals, is in his fifth season with the team and is known for his speed and athletic ability but also his troubles off the field.

SpursFanFirst
12-16-2009, 06:49 PM
I just read on twitter hes dead.

No offense, but I don't know that I'd be quick to trust twitter...
I hope it's not true though. That's sad.

Horry For 3!
12-16-2009, 06:50 PM
This says....

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/12/16/chris-henry-car-accident_n_394930.html

UPDATE, 6:34: Henry has died, according to Gerry Fraley of the Dallas Morning News.

Horry For 3!
12-16-2009, 06:51 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/12/16/chris-henry-dead-car-acci_n_394985.html

Chris Henry DEAD: Car Accident Killed Bengals Receiver, Report Says

Chris Henry has died in a North Carolina car accident, according to Gerry Fraley of the Dallas Morning News. Developing...

Horry For 3!
12-16-2009, 06:52 PM
I don't know how accurate that is but sad if so. I guess find out more later.

SpursFanFirst
12-16-2009, 06:53 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/12/16/chris-henry-dead-car-acci_n_394985.html

Chris Henry DEAD: Car Accident Killed Bengals Receiver, Report Says

Chris Henry has died in a North Carolina car accident, according to Gerry Fraley of the Dallas Morning News. Developing...

Well, that's certainly very sad news.

samikeyp
12-16-2009, 07:03 PM
Wow...very sad if true.

Horry For 3!
12-16-2009, 07:13 PM
Some guy is sayin the twitter and Dallas reporters are fakes that he is not dead. So who knows, internet has all kinds of rumors now a days.

iggypop123
12-16-2009, 07:19 PM
life threatening and some site says he is on life support. not quite dead but serious enough

Horry For 3!
12-16-2009, 07:20 PM
Chris Henry is only owned in 3% of Yahoo Fantasy Football leagues

Thankfully, I have better options

He has been on IR so he shouldn't of been owned by any.

Cry Havoc
12-17-2009, 04:47 AM
Lots of reports he's dead, all of the unconfirmed. Let's hope they're not true.

I have to wonder how he fell out of the back of a pickup though, unless the person driving was intentionally attempting to dislodge him from said truck.

HarlemHeat37
12-17-2009, 05:26 AM
Apparently his fiance's driving was the reason he fell out..nobody knows for sure though, just speculation..

my best wishes to him though, hopefully he pulls through..

Kermit
12-17-2009, 08:23 AM
According to Twitter, Steven Seagal is dead too.

spyder
12-17-2009, 10:07 AM
He's dead...RIP

Kermit
12-17-2009, 10:13 AM
Well damn.

redzero
12-17-2009, 10:15 AM
Yep, he's dead.

stretch
12-17-2009, 10:29 AM
extremely gifted and talented receiever. unfortunately he was never able to get it all together. its always sad news when someone passes away

KSeal
12-17-2009, 10:31 AM
I remember him on Hard Knocks talking about how he was getting his life straight and everything. Sad stuff.

Will Hunting
12-17-2009, 11:22 AM
This extremely sad. KSeal is right, the guy was finally starting to bring stability to his life and put it together. Thoughts go out to his family, and fuck his fiance for not immediately stopping the truck once she saw him in it.

lefty
12-17-2009, 11:33 AM
This extremely sad. KSeal is right, the guy was finally starting to bring stability to his life and put it together. Thoughts go out to his family, and fuck his fiance for not immediately stopping the truck once she saw him in it.

We hear the same thing every time a young NFLer dies

BUMP
12-17-2009, 11:42 AM

No we don't. And in the case of Darrent Williams, he was already a fine guy who got shot for no reason.

lil_penny
12-17-2009, 12:05 PM
R.I.p.

Will Hunting
12-17-2009, 12:20 PM

STFU. The two years prior to this, he had 8 and 4 game suspensions for his long laundry list of off the field incidents. It's been around 18 months since his last run in with the law. During training camp this year, all his teammates (particularly Palmer) talked about how talented he is and how happy they were to see him grow up. Can you name a specific example of the media saying a player was finally starting to mature right after he died, or are you just making an ignorant comment (that for the record, a lot of people would interpret as racist)?

BUMP is 100% right that no one said that about Darrent Williams. The guy had always been a model citizen and happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time bringing too much attention to himself at a club. The whole incident shook Javon Walker so much that he still has the shirt Darrent Williams died in with the blood stains on it, and he also hasn't even been a shadow of the player he was before the injury. In all likelihood he'll be retiring soon.

And Sean Taylor had a small history of off the field things (the last one being in 2005) but he did nothing to provoke his death, it was a home invasion. The one mistake he made was having a house in Miami while being a high profile athlete who grew up, played HS football and college football in Miami so everyone from his childhood who turned out to be a criminal knew where he lived. That's not a player who goes out looking for trouble, that's just an idiot who didn't do enough to protect himself.

benefactor
12-17-2009, 12:41 PM
I heard that he was hurt but didn't realize he had died until I got the gym this morning and saw them talking about it on ESPN. Crazy.

RIP Chris. No matter the circumstances, it's always sad to see someone die so young and in such an avoidable way. I pray for peace for his family during this difficult time.

BacktoBasics
12-17-2009, 12:51 PM
I guess we should all forget that he jumped in the back of a truck after a domestic dispute. You know because he's a role model for trouble youths looking to turn their lives around.

Too bad every news outlet jumped on the "turned his life around" bandwagon instead of making an example of the stupidity of his actions.

Kermit
12-17-2009, 12:52 PM

Uh, he jumped into a moving vehicle. That's just dumb.

Will Hunting
12-17-2009, 01:08 PM
I wonder what's gonna happen with his wife. My guess it will come out that he "allegedly" cheated on her (after which several women who haven't seen him since he rejected them in high school come out of nowhere and say they slept with him recently), then people will have more sympathy for her than they do him.

I'm saying this because apparently when a woman's husband is an athlete and she thinks he's cheating because the national enquirer said so, it's OK to recklessly endanger your husband's life by doing things like swinging a golf club at his car causing him to crash into a tree, or in this case getting him thrown from the bed of your vehicle and fleeing the scene.

Will Hunting
12-17-2009, 01:16 PM
Too bad every news outlet jumped on the "turned his life around" bandwagon instead of making an example of the stupidity of his actions.

Great point. When someone dies, you shouldn't focus on the positives of that person and talk about why the death was a tragedy, you should point a finger and call him stupid while implying he had this coming. But I agree that he definitely hadn't turned his life around. Being arrested countless times from December 2005 to March 2008, and not having any off the fiend incidents over 18 months since then is def. NOT turning your life around, at all. You're 100% right and by no means are you pulling an ignorant comment out of your ass, the media was just making that up about a player who did nothing to deserve that label.

Duff McCartney
12-17-2009, 01:31 PM
A live human body and a deceased human body have the same number of particles. Structurally there's no difference.

mardigan
12-17-2009, 01:36 PM
Man there are some insensitive fucks in this thread. None of us here know what kind of person he was or what the exact circumstance was that lead to his death. Prayers to his kids. R.I.P.

BacktoBasics
12-17-2009, 01:38 PM
Great point. When someone dies, you shouldn't focus on the positives of that person and talk about why the death was a tragedy, you should point a finger and call him stupid while implying he had this coming. But I agree that he definitely hadn't turned his life around. Being arrested countless times from December 2005 to March 2008, and not having any off the fiend incidents over 18 months since then is def. NOT turning your life around, at all. You're 100% right and by no means are you pulling an ignorant comment out of your ass, the media was just making that up about a player who did nothing to deserve that label.There was a domestic dispute and he jumped in a moving vehicle while arguing with her. His 18 month streak ended. So no he hadn't turned it around.

Kermit
12-17-2009, 01:38 PM
I'm saying this because apparently when a woman's husband is an athlete and she thinks he's cheating because the national enquirer said so, it's OK to recklessly endanger your husband's life by doing things like swinging a golf club at his car causing him to crash into a tree

It also helps that your husband was on pills and that the National Enquirer was right. It's sad, but 100% preventable by the person who decided to jump into the back of a moving vehicle.

BacktoBasics
12-17-2009, 01:39 PM
The only real question left is whether or not she swerved to eject him.

Kermit
12-17-2009, 01:44 PM
The only real question left is whether or not she swerved to eject him.

Well, apparently he was found. It doesn't look like she stopped the car and turned around.

Goran Dragic
12-17-2009, 02:13 PM
There was a domestic dispute and he jumped in a moving vehicle while arguing with her. His 18 month streak ended. So no he hadn't turned it around.

You're quite the compassionate human being.

Goran Dragic
12-17-2009, 02:14 PM
It also helps that your husband was on pills and that the National Enquirer was right.

So what are you saying, that justifies swinging a golf club at your husband's car causing him to run into a tree?

Jacob1983
12-17-2009, 02:22 PM
Sad story. It sucks that he wasn't able to get a second chance.

Kermit
12-17-2009, 02:27 PM
So what are you saying, that justifies swinging a golf club at your husband's car causing him to run into a tree?

More like the Ambien than the golf club. So Tiger's the victim, eh?

rascal
12-17-2009, 02:37 PM
Sad story. It sucks that he wasn't able to get a second chance.

I am sure he has had many chances because he is a talented athlete unfortunately those chances ran out for him.

Will Hunting
12-17-2009, 02:38 PM
It's sad, but 100% preventable by the person who decided to jump into the back of a moving vehicle.

When Dante Stallworth was driving at night and killed a J-walker this summer (mind you he didn't run from the accident) when the only reason the J-walker was killed was because the J-walker endangered himself, people acted like Dante Stallworth had just been discovered as a serial killer responsible for killing 50 people who should be banned from the NFL. There was tons of outrage that he only got 24 days in jail. In this case, it was supposedly Stallworth's fault and it's his job as a driver to look out for stupid pedestrians who endanger themselves. This is something that could have been prevented if the J-walker abided by the laws.

In this case, Henry's fiance killed Henry largely because Henry endangered himself by jumping into the back of a pickup truck. Mind you, she kept driving after he jumped in the truck (that I'm willing to bet any given amount of money was his truck that he paid for) knowing that as long as she kept driving his life was at risk. Once he fell out of the truck, she made the conscious decision to drive off and leave him for dead knowing that every second he went without medical help made death more likely. So while Stallworth was simply too drunk to be able to react in time (never making a concious decision to endanger someone) but was still able to pull over and do whatever he coud, Henry's fiance consciously knew what she was doing when she was doing it. By the logic used when everyone blasted Stallworth, I'm surprised no one has called for this woman's head yet. I guess that logic only applies when it's the black athlete driving, when it's the black athlete getting killed largely cause of someone else's recklessness, it's just a black athlete being stupid getting what was inevitable.

Will Hunting
12-17-2009, 02:39 PM
More like the Ambien than the golf club. So Tiger's the victim, eh?

Generally when someone has to go to the hospital for injuries, they're the victim in the car accident, however different logic might apply when it's a black guy who has the injuries. I'll check up on that.

Whisky Dog
12-17-2009, 02:49 PM
Who thinks she was pissed and irrational (shocking I know) and as soon as she noticed him the the bed slammed on the gas and swerved on purpose? Since she didn't stop after he fell I think this is exactly what happened.

Would that be manslaughter or murder charge?

Kermit
12-17-2009, 02:50 PM
When Dante Stallworth was driving at night and killed a J-walker this summer (mind you he didn't run from the accident) when the only reason the J-walker was killed was because the J-walker endangered himself, people acted like Dante Stallworth had just been discovered as a serial killer responsible for killing 50 people who should be banned from the NFL. There was tons of outrage that he only got 24 days in jail. In this case, it was supposedly Stallworth's fault and it's his job as a driver to look out for stupid pedestrians who endanger themselves. This is something that could have been prevented if the J-walker abided by the laws.

In this case, Henry's fiance killed Henry largely because Henry endangered himself by jumping into the back of a pickup truck. Mind you, she kept driving after he jumped in the truck (that I'm willing to bet any given amount of money was his truck that he paid for) knowing that as long as she kept driving his life was at risk. Once he fell out of the truck, she made the conscious decision to drive off and leave him for dead knowing that every second he went without medical help made death more likely. So while Stallworth was simply too drunk to be able to react in time (never making a concious decision to endanger someone) but was still able to pull over and do whatever he coud, Henry's fiance consciously knew what she was doing when she was doing it. By the logic used when everyone blasted Stallworth, I'm surprised no one has called for this woman's head yet. I guess that logic only applies when it's the black athlete driving, when it's the black athlete getting killed largely cause of someone else's recklessness, it's just a black athlete being stupid getting what was inevitable.

Alright, so the obvious questions...

Did she know he was in the back?
Was she driving away in fear?

I mean, it's easy to make him a victim when we don't know the facts, but right now all I know is that he jumped into the back of a moving vehicle and is dead. I'll hold my sympathy for when the facts emerge and he doesn't look like such a dumbass.

Kermit
12-17-2009, 02:52 PM
Generally when someone has to go to the hospital for injuries, they're the victim in the car accident, however different logic might apply when it's a black guy who has the injuries. I'll check up on that.

Yeah. A victim when they took too many prescription drugs and couldn't drive. Just like I'm a victim if I jump onto a truck in motion, fall off, and die. It's not my fault. It's the trucks.

BacktoBasics
12-17-2009, 02:53 PM

In this case, Henry's fiance killed Henry largely because Henry endangered himself by jumping into the back of a pickup truck. Mind you, she kept driving after he jumped in the truck (that I'm willing to bet any given amount of money was his truck that he paid for) knowing that as long as she kept driving his life was at risk. Once he fell out of the truck, she made the conscious decision to drive off and leave him for dead knowing that every second he went without medical help made death more likely. So while Stallworth was simply too drunk to be able to react in time (never making a concious decision to endanger someone) but was still able to pull over and do whatever he coud, Henry's fiance consciously knew what she was doing when she was doing it. By the logic used when everyone blasted Stallworth, I'm surprised no one has called for this woman's head yet. I guess that logic only applies when it's the black athlete driving, when it's the black athlete getting killed largely cause of someone else's recklessness, it's just a black athlete being stupid getting what was inevitable.I like what you said here.

I was one of the few that support Stallworth. Although I blame Henry for what happened the wife or girlfriend behind the wheel probably just as much if not more to blame.

LOL texans
12-17-2009, 02:54 PM
BUMP is 100% right that no one said that about Darrent Williams. The guy had always been a model citizen and happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time bringing too much attention to himself at a club. The whole incident shook Javon Walker so much that he still has the shirt Darrent Williams died in with the blood stains on it, and he also hasn't even been a shadow of the player he was before the injury. In all likelihood he'll be retiring soon.

Assuming Javon Walker started sucking because he couldn't get over Darrent Williams is waaaaay off base.

He was sucking way before the Darrent Williams death and his subsequent injury....way before.

Kermit
12-17-2009, 02:55 PM
Later Thursday, police released two 911 tapes. The first was from an unidentified woman who said she was following a yellow pickup truck.

"It's got a black man on it with no shirt on, and he's got his arm in a cast and black pants on," she told a dispatcher. "He's beating on the back of this truck window. ... I don't know if he's trying to break in or something. It just looks crazy. It's a girl driving it."

Just over a minute later, an unidentified man called 911 and said he saw a man "laying in the road" and "definitely unconscious."

Henry was rushed to the hospital early Wednesday afternoon after being found on a curvy section of a residential road. Police said the dispute began at a home about a half-mile away, and Henry jumped into the bed of the pickup as his fiancee was driving away from the residence

Yup, he's a dumbass. That's some melodramatic movie shit right there.

Jacob1983
12-17-2009, 02:56 PM
When I said second chance, I meant a chance where he could have come back from this incident. Since he died, he won't get that chance.

Whisky Dog
12-17-2009, 02:59 PM
Yeah, sounds like both of them took this shit way too far. Only argue with your woman on still ground - he should have learned from Tiger.

mookie2001
12-17-2009, 03:06 PM
i wish people wouldnt act like jumping in a pickup truck is some sort of mortal sin or morally depraved act

Kermit
12-17-2009, 03:09 PM
i wish people wouldnt act like jumping in a pickup truck is some sort of mortal sin or morally depraved act

:lmao

Good one Mookie. Good one.

Blake
12-17-2009, 03:20 PM

I think I read it in the book of Leviticus about jumping in the back of a truck being a sin punishable by death.

dickface
12-17-2009, 03:29 PM
-a75f9ETtc4

BacktoBasics
12-17-2009, 03:32 PM
i wish people wouldnt act like jumping in a pickup truck is some sort of mortal sin or morally depraved actIt was a stupid move. I wouldn't have done it.

Only one of two things.

He jumped in the back of the truck to apologize to her.

or

He jumped in the back of the truck to continue the dispute.

Which do you think it is?

He's not mexican so I think we can rule out a trip to the 7-11.

BacktoBasics
12-17-2009, 03:50 PM
Doubtful they'll pursue the driver after this.

A 911 call from a woman driving behind Chris Henry during the pickup truck incident:

She told the dispatcher that the Cincinnati Bengals wide receiver, shirtless, was "beating on the back window of the truck," presumably from its bed.

Perhaps she was trying to get away from him.

Bob Lanier
12-17-2009, 03:53 PM
We hear the same thing every time a young ###### dies
Fixed that for you.

Will Hunting
12-17-2009, 06:34 PM
Assuming Javon Walker started sucking because he couldn't get over Darrent Williams is waaaaay off base.

He was sucking way before the Darrent Williams death and his subsequent injury....way before.

He had a 1,000 receiving season in 2006, the last season Williams was alive.

Will Hunting
12-17-2009, 06:36 PM
I mean, it's easy to make him a victim when we don't know the facts

Yeah I agree. Calling the guy who fell off a truck and was left for dead by his own fiance the victim is pretty far fetched.

Will Hunting
12-17-2009, 06:40 PM
I like what you said here.

I was one of the few that support Stallworth. Although I blame Henry for what happened the wife or girlfriend behind the wheel probably just as much if not more to blame.

Well as long as your consistent then it's perfectly honest in my book. I just know there are tons of people out there who flip flopped their thought process here and completely disregard the logic used in the Stallworth situation.

Will Hunting
12-17-2009, 06:48 PM
And for the record, I'm not saying Henry acted appropriately. He's plenty to blame for his own death, I'm just gonna be really pissed if his fiance (who I'm guessing didn't really love him a whole lot) gets away clean with this and is on Oprah 6 months from now telling the story as if it was psycho rapist in the bed of a truck she was driving.

JamStone
12-17-2009, 06:52 PM
If anyone interested, Ochocinco been talking about Chris on his online show...

http://www.ustream.tv/ogochocinco