PDA

View Full Version : Anthony Randolph Available?

Srupsog
12-16-2009, 06:16 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4748700

Getting Randolph would address one of the Spurs biggest needs, a long athletic PF to start next to Tim, that can rebound, block shots, finish around the rim, and guard athletic 4s (Lamar Odom, Dirk, Rashard Lewis). This trade can happen, we have expiring contracts and we shouldn't think Jefferson is untouchable.

Muser
12-16-2009, 06:18 PM
Jefferson is touchable, just nobody wants to touch him.

ffadicted
12-16-2009, 06:18 PM
Anthony Randolph for Jefferson? lol you need more weed

TDMVPDPOY
12-16-2009, 06:26 PM
i do this trade if they want matt bonner only...

exstatic
12-16-2009, 08:08 PM
Dear God, do we need an Anthony Randolph thread EVERY FUCKING DAY?!?!?

It's like he's morphed into Marcus Camby, or something...

blkroadrunners
12-16-2009, 09:08 PM
lol

tav1
12-16-2009, 09:09 PM
If the Spurs were hot for Randolph, and there is no indication that they are, it would require something like Jefferson, Haislip and Mahinmi for Maggette, Randolph and Bell. That's not a bad deal for the Spurs, until you stop to consider Corey Maggette's contract, which would immediately begin to double as a noose around the franchise.

If the Spurs were open to moving Jefferson, they would do better to target a player like Gerald Wallace. My 2 cents.

dbestpro
12-16-2009, 09:11 PM
Pop would not play him.

Chieflion
12-16-2009, 09:11 PM
Jefferson is touchable, just nobody wants to touch him.
Do you realise that you posted something that just sounds extremely wrong?

SenorSpur
12-16-2009, 10:40 PM
Pop has a relationship with Nelson. If Pop feels like a roster shakeup is needed, this move may be one to make. However, I wouldn't expect anything until around Feb.

draft87
12-16-2009, 11:19 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4748700

Getting Randolph would address one of the Spurs biggest needs, a long athletic PF to start next to Tim, that can rebound, block shots, finish around the rim, and guard athletic 4s (Lamar Odom, Dirk, Rashard Lewis). This trade can happen, we have expiring contracts and we shouldn't think Jefferson is untouchable.

Thanks for the suggestion. It's admirable that you are trying to address one of the team's needs while considering the reality of contracts. AND NOT shit-talking one of player's in the process :)

However, I don't think it will work and is not a good idea because
1) We would be left with a larger hole at the 3 position. Even though Richard Jefferson is underachieving there's no one else to step in and really overachieve.
2) Randolph is young AND has an attitude 'problem'. That's two strikes in a zero strike Spurs system. Even though his skill set and physical attributes would fill a glaring whole in our roster I can't see him buckling down and being a hard-nosed yet level-headed, raw yet smart combo forward for the San Antonio Spurs. Maybe he'll be great one day, maybe he's rough around the edges cause his grumpy coach is a dick to him and in the right situation he'll mature and unleash all the potential we see... but I doubt it will be in the middle of the Spurs 2010 campaign

Hope you don't think I'm raining on your parade. I'm just trying to offer comments to your suggestion. I respect it and hope to read more constructive basketball talk in the future

Chieflion
12-16-2009, 11:44 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. It's admirable that you are trying to address one of the team's needs while considering the reality of contracts. AND NOT shit-talking one of player's in the process :)

However, I don't think it will work and is not a good idea because
1) We would be left with a larger hole at the 3 position. Even though Richard Jefferson is underachieving there's no one else to step in and really overachieve.
2) Randolph is young AND has an attitude 'problem'. That's two strikes in a zero strike Spurs system. Even though his skill set and physical attributes would fill a glaring whole in our roster I can't see him buckling down and being a hard-nosed yet level-headed, raw yet smart combo forward for the San Antonio Spurs. Maybe he'll be great one day, maybe he's rough around the edges cause his grumpy coach is a dick to him and in the right situation he'll mature and unleash all the potential we see... but I doubt it will be in the middle of the Spurs 2010 campaign

Hope you don't think I'm raining on your parade. I'm just trying to offer comments to your suggestion. I respect it and hope to read more constructive basketball talk in the future
What attitude problem? Randolph works hard, plays hard every ball game, shows intensity, plays defense willingly.

HarlemHeat37
12-16-2009, 11:56 PM
It would be funny if Don Nelson did us a favor..he is crazy enough..

draft87
12-17-2009, 12:20 AM
What attitude problem? Randolph works hard, plays hard every ball game, shows intensity, plays defense willingly.

Yes, he plays hard every ball game and shows intensity. I believe the criticism is that he plays too intensely. He's a raging bull. I remember reading a bit about him needing 'attitude adjustments'..... but I also wrote that it might just be Crazy Nelson picking a fight.

here:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/01/03/SPKT15384J.DTL

2010 season preview, Bill Simmons also wrote something about him harnessing his insane talent, the only thing holding him back(or not holding him back) is himself

like I said, I agree he's a good fit for some of our serious flaws. He may become amazing, maybe he just needs a good coach to guide him to a consistent 20/10 star, but I don't think the Spurs take a chance on a documented question of character mid-season

Chieflion
12-17-2009, 12:22 AM
Yes, he plays hard every ball game and shows intensity. I believe the criticism is that he plays too intensely. He's a raging bull. I remember reading a bit about him needing 'attitude adjustments'..... but I also wrote that it might just be Crazy Nelson picking a fight.

here:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/01/03/SPKT15384J.DTL

2010 season preview, Bill Simmons also wrote something about him harnessing his insane talent, the only thing holding him back(or not holding him back) is himself

like I said, I agree he's a good fit for some of our serious flaws. He may become amazing, maybe he just needs a good coach to guide him to a consistent 20/10 star, but I don't think the Spurs take a chance on a documented question of character mid-season
Don Nelson has always been an idiot. No suprises there.

HarlemHeat37
12-17-2009, 12:27 AM
He was raised on an Army base and has anger problems from when he grew up IIRC, at least that's what I remember from last year.. I was hyping him up on these forums last year, I really like his game..

He also got into a fight with Kurz IIRC..

draft87
12-17-2009, 12:49 AM
He was raised on an Army base and has anger problems from when he grew up IIRC, at least that's what I remember from last year.. I was hyping him up on these forums last year, I really like his game..

He also got into a fight with Kurz IIRC..

yeah, the article talks about the incident with Kurz but doesn't specify if it was a fight or not... ?

anyway

I too like his game. I don't think anyone except the dopey "Official trade X Player" threadstarters can say Anthony Randolph isn't extremely talented with a bright future.....

HarlemHeat37
12-17-2009, 01:04 AM
He's being wasted in Golden State too..Nelson doesn't know how to use him, and his teammates don't know how to use his game..

Learning from Duncan would help his game immensely..

The only reason I think it's even possible is because of Pop-Nelly relationship and the fact that he doesn't have a good relationship with the Warriors..

draft87
12-17-2009, 01:10 AM
He's being wasted in Golden State too..Nelson doesn't know how to use him, and his teammates don't know how to use his game..

Learning from Duncan would help his game immensely..

The only reason I think it's even possible is because of Pop-Nelly relationship and the fact that he doesn't have a good relationship with the Warriors..

+1 on learning from Duncan. It's a scary thought.

I guess my main point is the mid-season factor.

But I get pretty excited thinking about Anthony Randolph for less than $3M/yr.

Ditty
12-17-2009, 01:15 AM
this kid looks like he is very athletic as has alot of pontetial but I dont know what all the hype is right now I dont think hes that good right now or he just had a bad game against the spurs he looked lazy on defense and looked like a poor mans chris bosh just IMO

Chieflion
12-17-2009, 01:17 AM
this kid looks like he is very athletic as has alot of pontetial but I dont know what all the hype is right now I dont think hes that good right now or he just had a bad game against the spurs he looked lazy on defense and looked like a poor mans chris bosh just IMO
He looked lazy on defense? Not true. He did have a poor shooting night but he showed he could dribble the ball, make good basketball decisions and blocked 3 shots.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
12-17-2009, 01:28 AM
Except for Maggette's 4 year contract, I'd pull the trigger in a second on sending RJ for Randolph, Bell and Maggette... but it ain't happening, so bleh.

Randolph will be awesome with the right organization. He could be the guy to take over from Tim in 2 years if we could nab him... (not suggesting he's HoF or anything, but he'll be an All-Star if he ever gets a real coach).

mountainballer
12-17-2009, 04:11 AM
Except for Maggette's 4 year contract, I'd pull the trigger in a second on sending RJ for Randolph, Bell and Maggette... but it ain't happening, so bleh.

agree it ain't happening. but for the sake of discussion. the idea does have some very exciting aspects. the Warriors would ask for some more IMO and a future 1st rounder isn't a big deal to trow in. still won't be enough, question is, would we trow in Blair or Hill?
the Warriors will be very open to listen to any offer that takes Maggette of their books, a swap for JR would allow them to become a major player in the 2011 free agency.

for me the most fascinating thing about Randolph would be the scenario to pair him with Splitter. on paper this looks like a perfect combination of all abilities you want in a front court. and if it really works, the Spurs have a building block for the next 10 years. this would be worth the risk.

TDMVPDPOY
12-17-2009, 05:40 AM
nelson couldve done us a favor by trading jax to us, but no...fuck it

SpurNation
12-17-2009, 05:45 AM
Just tinkering but..this works after January 16.

http://www.realgm.com/src_checktrade.php?tradeid=5328665

TJastal
12-17-2009, 06:05 AM
Just tinkering but..this works after January 16.

http://www.realgm.com/src_checktrade.php?tradeid=5328665

god, get realistic for crissakes..

SpurNation
12-17-2009, 06:28 AM
god, get realistic for crissakes..

As I said..just tinkering. Why don't you present a "realistic" suggestion since your response seems to imply you think you can do better?

By the way...I don't think you have the right to invoke God either since you don't even have the respect to capitalize His name.

mountainballer
12-17-2009, 08:36 AM
when did she appoint you as her spokesman for name use affairs?

TJastal
12-17-2009, 08:42 AM

hahahaha.

One upped the diety affairs policewoman.

:rollin

SpurNation
12-17-2009, 09:04 AM

I guess all I can do is laugh since ...in the end...I'm not the one doing the judging.

On topic. All I was doing was presenting a scenariio that would work even if this unlikely situation occured.

In your response to Ruff you even entertained the "discussion" so I presented the unlikely in a way that would work via CBA.

I guess we were all being unrealistic but to TJastal I was the only one worthy enough to be addressed in the manner in which they did.

However...I also thought it amusing that somebody invokes a greater power (be it real to that person or not) to wish for something and not have the respect of such great power to even do so by listing Their name with irrelevance.

TJastal
12-17-2009, 09:16 AM
I guess all I can do is laugh since ...in the end...I'm not the one doing the judging.

On topic. All I was doing was presenting a scenariio that would work even if this unlikely situation occured.

In your response to Ruff you even entertained the "discussion" so I presented the unlikely in a way that would work via CBA.

I guess we were all being unrealistic but to TJastal I was the only one worthy enough to be addressed in the manner in which they did.

However...I also thought it amusing that somebody invokes a greater power (be it real to that person or not) to wish for something and not have the respect of such great power to even do so by listing Their name with irrelevance.

What's funny about your "trade scenario" is one doesn't even need look at the players involved to know its a joke

San Antonio Trade Breakdown
Change in Team Outlook: +24.1 ppg, +9.1 rpg, and +1.8 apg.

Golden State Trade Breakdown
Change in Team Outlook: -24.1 ppg, -9.1 rpg, and -1.8 apg.

That pretty much says it all.

Chieflion
12-17-2009, 09:21 AM
In response to SpursNation's idea, unless Ian Mahinmi or Malik Hairston has perennial all-NBA potential, the Warriors are not doing your deal.

Muser
12-17-2009, 09:28 AM
Do you realise that you posted something that just sounds extremely wrong?

Yep, but only douchebags would actually think I meant it that way.

Chieflion
12-17-2009, 09:29 AM
Yep, but only douchebags would actually think I meant it that way.
Just take it easy, buddy.

SpurNation
12-17-2009, 09:34 AM
What's funny about your "trade scenario" is one doesn't even need look at the players involved to know its a joke

Exactly. :toast

SpurNation
12-17-2009, 09:38 AM
In response to SpursNation's idea, unless Ian Mahinmi or Malik Hairston has perennial all-NBA potential, the Warriors are not doing your deal.

I can't think of one that would benefit the Warriors involving a trade with the Spurs. But lets just say good ole Donny wants to do a favor for the Spurs being one of Pop's friends? :lol

twilo73
12-17-2009, 11:12 AM
I would go nuts if we got Randolph... I think he could be a super star in this league in years to come!!!

Taking it to the Hole
12-17-2009, 11:26 AM
I f we put him in the lineup and give him 30+min a night, he will flourish. I think he has the skill set to offensively take the load off of Tim in the low post, while Duncan can spend more time defending. I think it is time that someone takes the load off of Duncan, just like Duncan took the load off of Robinson and allowed him to focus on defense and rebounding.

lennyalderette
12-17-2009, 02:32 PM
did you see timmy take it to him all last night?

Spurs da champs
12-17-2009, 06:11 PM
Dudes young calm the fuck down trying to guard the best power forward of all time for a 2nd year player is impossible but he did a decent job. He has long ass arms and I'd like too see how he defends Lamar Odom.

JustinJDW
12-17-2009, 06:19 PM
I would love to have Randolph, and money can't be a problem since he has a very cheap contract. But who the hell would we trade for him? I'm guessing it would be a Big Man since Randolph is himself. Trading any of our Big Man for Randolph would only make us go smaller sinice Randolph doesn't have much weight at all. I guess his 6-10 height makes up for that.

Can Randolph play Small Forward?

Chieflion
12-17-2009, 10:12 PM
did you see timmy take it to him all last night?
This is Tim Duncan you are talking about against a 20 year old sophomore. He did force Timmy to take a few bad shots when the shot clock was winding down. The double teams came too late for Randolph sometimes.

Bartleby
12-17-2009, 10:25 PM
I would love to have Randolph, and money can't be a problem since he has a very cheap contract. But who the hell would we trade for him?

In addition to whatever player(s) it would take to make a trade work financially, GS would probably want the rights to Splitter.

Chieflion
12-17-2009, 10:27 PM
In addition to whatever player(s) it would take to make a trade work financially, GS would probably want the rights to Splitter.
Not if the Spurs take on Maggette's contract. The Warriors should be thankful someone would like to bail them out on Magg's contract.

lennyalderette
12-18-2009, 12:17 AM
This is Tim Duncan you are talking about against a 20 year old sophomore. He did force Timmy to take a few bad shots when the shot clock was winding down. The double teams came too late for Randolph sometimes.

after i posted i realized what a dumb statement it was, but was too lazy to fix it, but i still think we need more defense, and rebounds. He would def. help with all the young pf, and really mobile bigs. I honestly believe if we dont get it together soon, pop will make a trade before deadline. he looks very disgusted as of late

mountainballer
12-18-2009, 05:46 AM
Not if the Spurs take on Maggette's contract. The Warriors should be thankful someone would like to bail them out on Magg's contract.

common. it's not that Maggette was a completely unproductive player. compareable or even worse worse contracts have been traded before, some multiple times. (think Q-rich, Zach, Diaw, Kenny Thomas, Bobby Simmons...just to name a few)
I agree that the Warriors will give away Maggette for nothing in return but expiring (or shorter term) contracts. but they won't add a 20 years old lottery talent, who has real star potential just to get rid of Maggette.
(btw. we only talk negative about Maggette. but he is still a very efficient scorer, also for the Warriors. his PPS numbers are still amazing. much better than those of RJ for example. it's not that there were no teams in the league that could use this production)
so, Warriors will be willing to listen to any trade proposal for Maggette AND they will listen to bids for a Maggette + Randolph package, but they won't be interested in some busts like Ian or 2nd round picks. IMO it will take either a lottery pick (we don't have) or at least something like 2011 1st rounder plus Hill or Blair.

VivaPopovich
12-18-2009, 05:50 AM
anthony randolph is as much of a pf as josh smith is

boy is way too skinny, timmy got his way too easily

mountainballer
12-18-2009, 06:05 AM
anthony randolph is as much of a pf as josh smith is

boy is way too skinny, timmy got his way too easily

you noticed that he just turned 20 this summer? you remember how - for example - Chris Bosh looked, when he entered the league?
(and btw. there is a significant difference between Smith and Randolph in height and length. one could say it's exactly the difference between a prototypical SF and a prototypical PF)

spurspokesman
12-18-2009, 07:51 AM

San Antonio Trade Breakdown
Change in Team Outlook: +24.1 ppg, +9.1 rpg, and +1.8 apg.

Golden State Trade Breakdown
Change in Team Outlook: -24.1 ppg, -9.1 rpg, and -1.8 apg.

That pretty much says it all.

Don Nelson and GS would have A heart attack looking at that proposal:lol. But if they did it we would topple la with the gasol situation. Would be nice.

tav1
12-18-2009, 10:23 AM
common. it's not that Maggette was a completely unproductive player. compareable or even worse worse contracts have been traded before, some multiple times. (think Q-rich, Zach, Diaw, Kenny Thomas, Bobby Simmons...just to name a few)
I agree that the Warriors will give away Maggette for nothing in return but expiring (or shorter term) contracts. but they won't add a 20 years old lottery talent, who has real star potential just to get rid of Maggette.
(btw. we only talk negative about Maggette. but he is still a very efficient scorer, also for the Warriors. his PPS numbers are still amazing. much better than those of RJ for example. it's not that there were no teams in the league that could use this production)
so, Warriors will be willing to listen to any trade proposal for Maggette AND they will listen to bids for a Maggette + Randolph package, but they won't be interested in some busts like Ian or 2nd round picks. IMO it will take either a lottery pick (we don't have) or at least something like 2011 1st rounder plus Hill or Blair.

I'm not sure it would take a lottery pick, but certainly a first round draft pick. Maybe two. But other than that, I think you're spot on.

Under this hypothetical, the Spurs would have to really value Randolph as a future star, because they're killing their cap going forward. I'm not sure if it's worth it. The most attractive thing about Randolph is his ability to play and defend multiple positions. The Spurs could play him at 3, 4 or 5, allowing plenty of minutes for Duncan, Splitter, and Blair.

Your evaluation of Maggette is exactly right. Even though he's not as a good a player as Jefferson, I do wonder if he wouldn't be a better fit. I don't have any doubt that he would assert himself on offense. And defensively, Jefferson has not set the bar high.

Ah....it's too early to be so negative on RJ. Let's see how he finishes the month.

duncan228
12-18-2009, 02:54 PM
Big changes for Warriors? (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=mc-afterthebuzzer121809&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)
By Marc J. Spears

The Golden State Warriors entered the weekend with just seven wins, so they’re listening to any and all trade offers. Team officials, however, don’t plan to make any significant changes until further evaluating their roster after center Andris Biedrins and forward Ronny Turiaf return from injuries within the next two weeks.

The Warriors have yet to receive an attractive offer for young forward Anthony Randolph and are considering asking for a second injury exception to push their roster to 17 players. The Warriors used their first injury exception on center Chris Hunter and could ask for a second if Mikki Moore will be out a while after needing surgery on his right heel.

Agloco
12-18-2009, 09:47 PM
It's new players and lack of court time together that's causing the chaos.

Everyone's answer?

A fresh batch of new players of course. :rolleyes