PDA

View Full Version : AZ Central: Is this the season Spurs vanish?

duncan228
12-16-2009, 08:39 PM
Young: Is this the season Spurs vanish? (http://www.azcentral.com/sports/heatindex/articles/2009/12/16/20091216young-spurs-struggling.html)
by Bob Young
The Arizona Republic

OK, if you're like us and ready to declare that the San Antonio Spurs are disappearing right before our eyes, proceed at your own risk. We probably ought to know better, given their history of trickeration, a five-step sleight of hand that goes something like this:

1. Spurs get off to slow start.

2. Pundits declare they're showing their age.
3. Experts point out Spurs' stars are injury prone; no way they escape this time.

4. Tim Duncan yawns, snaps fingers, team begins to heat up after Christmas.

5. Presto! Spurs finish with more than 50 victories; head to the playoffs, another Larry O'Brien Trophy magically appears.

So far, the Spurs are following the same pattern of subterfuge.

They were 12-10 going into a game at Golden State on Wednesday night, matching their worst Duncan-era starts.

Coach Gregg Popovich is tossing around words such as "pathetic."

That's usually about the time we fall for it, and Popovich pulls another rabbit - or a Kurt Thomas - out of his hat.

In Duncan's rookie season, 1997-98 and again in 2003-04, the Spurs started 12-10, won their next game and went on to 56- and 57-win seasons.

They lost in the second round of the playoffs in those two seasons, but they were only one game better at this point - 13-9 - in 2002-03 when they won 60 games and the second of their four championships.

So how come this season doesn't feel like a trick?

After all, the Spurs figured to improve with the addition of Richard Jefferson, the levitating young star from Moon Valley High and the University of Arizona.

Well, they are getting older.

Their stars, particularly Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili, do get banged up a lot, and they have a lot of miles on them from previous playoff runs and international competition.

And Jefferson hasn't had the impact many - including those of us here at Heat Index HQ - expected him to have. Heck, Popovich didn't even have him on the floor late in San Antonio's on Tuesday night loss to the Suns.

Most important, though, the rest of the West may just have a better act.

Look, we would not be surprised if the Spurs magically take off and end up with more than 50 victories and another playoff appearance.

Their schedule for the rest of the month is set up for the Spurs to rise from the dead again.

They play the Pacers, Clippers, Blazers, Bucks, Knicks, Timberwolves and Heat.

Yet there is something about these Spurs that doesn't seem so magical.

Maybe it's because their defense has gone "poof!"

There are 14 teams ahead of them in field-goal-percentage defense, where they sat one spot ahead of the Suns going into Wednesday's game.

It's worth noting, too, that since winning 63 games in 2005-06, the Spurs have been trending down in the regular season.

They have won 58 games (and a title), 56 and 54 in the past three years.

Last season the Mavericks made them vanish in the first round of the playoffs, their earliest exit since 2000 when Penny Hardaway appeared from nowhere to lead the Suns to an upset.

Meanwhile, the Lakers have built a big, talented team around Kobe Bryant. The Nuggets have surged to the elite level since Chauncey Billups joined Carmelo Anthony. The Mavericks have retooled.

Even the Suns have their mojo back, along with some depth.

Maybe the Spurs have caught us in misdirection once again, and we'll fall for the same old hocus-pocus.

Or maybe this is the year they go up in smoke.

pawe
12-16-2009, 09:45 PM
The boys will definitely be in the playoffs but people should also consider that the entire league got stronger and keeps getting stronger as time passes by.
This team is not just gunning for a playoff spot, they are going for the last run while the big 3 is still capable. Patience is all that's necessary, Rome wasn't built in a day.

HarlemHeat37
12-16-2009, 09:51 PM
the Lakers and Celtics got stronger, they're potentially better than any of the teams we played in our title runs(assuming both of those teams stay healthy)..

the rest of the league isn't stronger though, it's probably weaker IMO, so I don't buy that as an excuse..

LOL@MavsFan
12-16-2009, 09:58 PM
The boys will definitely be in the playoffs but people should also consider that the entire league got stronger and keeps getting stronger as time passes by.
This team is not just gunning for a playoff spot, they are going for the last run while the big 3 is still capable. Patience is all that's necessary, Rome wasn't built in a day.

I've heard otherwise

Blackjack
12-16-2009, 09:59 PM
Last season the Mavericks made them vanish in the first round of the playoffs, their earliest exit since 2000 when Penny Hardaway appeared from nowhere to lead the Suns to an upset.

Penny Hardaway is clearly the reason the Spurs lost that series; Suns fan.:lol

lmbebo
12-16-2009, 10:03 PM

Lest we forget the Duncan injury ... Robinson had a great series if I remember... Last playoff game I attended was in that series... Game 2.

HarlemHeat37
12-16-2009, 10:05 PM
LOL I can't believe they had the balls to not mention Duncan being out..

mytespurs
12-16-2009, 10:25 PM
Tim Duncan is the bright spot in an otherwise troubling Spurs season thus far.....

ffadicted
12-16-2009, 10:33 PM
Tim Duncan is the bright spot in an otherwise troubling Spurs season thus far.....

Good one sherlock holmes :king

no, jk lol... in all seriousness, no, I don't believe the spurs are gonna fade away this year. In fact, I'm willing to bet this wine and cheese :whine that the spurs finish with a better record then the suns, and get a playoff birth at 4 or higher

mytespurs
12-16-2009, 10:48 PM
Good one sherlock holmes :king

no, jk lol... in all seriousness, no, I don't believe the spurs are gonna fade away this year. In fact, I'm willing to bet this wine and cheese :whine that the spurs finish with a better record then the suns, and get a playoff birth at 4 or higher

No offense taken! :toast

Though I would say who knows how long Tim shines...it is a loooong season but hopefully the chemistry issues are settled by the time the season really matters=playoffs! :hat

Udokafan05
12-17-2009, 12:11 AM
whatever helps suns fans sleep at night

raspsa
12-17-2009, 12:18 AM
TOs, TOs, TOs.......

xellos88330
12-17-2009, 01:09 AM
IMO this article is just instigating. It doesn't even state the writers clear opinion. What a waste of my time.