PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Spurs rookie Blair works to fix shot

duncan228
12-17-2009, 01:14 AM
Headline updated.

Spurs’ shot doctor working with Blair

Spurs rookie Blair works to fix shot (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/Spurs_rookie_Blair_works_to_fix_shot.html)
Jeff McDonald

OAKLAND, Calif. — Spurs rookie DeJuan Blair has a standing appointment with the team's resident shot doctor.

For the past week, Blair has been meeting with shooting coach Chip Engelland to refine his awkward shooting stroke.

Heading into Wednesday's game against Golden State, Blair was hitting a team-leading 60.6 percent from the field, a figure that ranks first among NBA rookies. Most of Blair's buckets have come on offensive putbacks, however, and he is shooting a meager 50 percent from the foul line.

Hence, the daily work with Engelland, who over the offseason helped guard George Hill refine his outside shot. The two convene mostly in the morning to help Blair buff up his mid-range and foul shooting.

“We waited until he got comfortable, so we could watch him for a while and see what would be the best approach,” Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. “Now Chip feels comfortable enough that he knows where he wants to start with him.”

The undertaking is a massive one. At times, Blair's shot can come off like a knuckleball.

“We're basically fixing the whole shot,” Blair said.

Popovich, meanwhile, continues to be enamored with what Blair is producing on the court. He said before Tuesday's game he is considering reinserting Blair in the starting lineup at some point.

“If the coach had any brains, he'd be playing him more,” Popovich said. “The guy is like a stat machine.”

Nellie's back: Don Nelson was back on the bench for Golden State after his second five-game hiatus while on sick leave. Nelson, who was battling pneumonia, missed 10 of the Warriors' previous 12 games, all of them on the road. The Warriors went 3-7 under interim coach Keith Smart in Nelson's absence.

Before Wednesday's game, Nelson pronounced himself, “All better, 100 percent.”

Popovich, who chatted with Nelson courtside before the game, said he thought his old friend and former boss looked vigorous.

“For him, he looked good,” Popovich cracked.

Merely freshmen: Popovich admitted the task of getting his team in sync after the massive summertime rebuilding effort has been more difficult than he expected.

“I look at us like a college freshman team almost,” Popovich said. “We've lost a lot of our corporate knowledge. We haven't played well. We've been inconsistent.”

Hits keep coming: Golden State was without starting center Mikki Moore, who is set for surgery to remove bone spurs from his right heel and is out indefinitely. Moore's absence left the perennially short-handed Warriors with eight players available against the Spurs.

“We've got a small team and eight guys that are available,” Nelson said. “There's not a lot you can do.”

EricB
12-17-2009, 01:22 AM
Yeah but pop hates rookies...

SenorSpur
12-17-2009, 01:56 AM
Besides, McDyess is clearly struggling.

#2!
12-17-2009, 02:05 AM
mcdyess also said he usually starts slow in the seasons. he takes the summers off almost completely, and then uses the first part of the season to get in a groove.

honestfool84
12-17-2009, 02:11 AM
Popovich, meanwhile, continues to be enamored with what Blair is producing on the court. He said before Tuesday's game he is considering reinserting Blair in the starting lineup at some point.

:wow

SCdac
12-17-2009, 02:14 AM
Popovich, meanwhile, continues to be enamored with what Blair is producing on the court. He said before Tuesday's game he's considering reinserting Blair in the starting lineup at some point.

“If the coach had any brains, he'd be playing him more,” Popovich said. “The guy is like a stat machine.”

:lmao

Nice to see Blair is getting recognition.

If DeJuan is getting 15-20 minutes, that's like 3-4 extra offensive rebounds and (probably) made shots off of pure positioning and power. Can't teach that kind of rebounding. I have no problem with him being the first big off the bench, or eventually starting with Timmy. The more I watch him, the more I think he can seriously he hold his own against the Amare's and Kaman's of the league. He's only 20 years old and a rookie, but he plays like a fucking man out there. Generally, I'll take his 55-60% FG over a 35-45% three point attempt any day, definitely need to feed him when Duncan is on the bench.

jag
12-17-2009, 02:17 AM
I actually like Blair off the bench better than Blair in the starting lineup.

raspsa
12-17-2009, 03:04 AM
Can't believe it took so long for Chip to start a program for DeJuan.. guess he was busy working with GHill.

greyforest
12-17-2009, 03:39 AM

yayyyyyyyyyy

bless1187
12-17-2009, 05:02 AM
i have been really impressed with D. Blair; especially at how fast he improved at the defensive end, his pick and roll defense is a whole lot better and he is finally finding out how to guard some of the taller players one on one. And i think this is the 1st time in a long time where D. Blair got more playing time than M. Bonner, i'm hoping this is a sign of things to come. I think this kid is going to be something special.

Zero_Twilight
12-17-2009, 05:35 AM
In my opinion, teaching Blair how to shoot differently is a bad idea. He's the kind of guy who sorta teaches himself and adapts accordingly. Sorta like the way he taught his body how to play w/o ACL's or the way he taught himself to rebound over bigger guys. Look at Marion and that fugly jumpshot. Some guys just have their own way. Nothing wrong with re-learning a few fundamentals but Blair is a rare case and teaching him how to shoot differently can throw a wrench in the machinery so to speak.

greyforest
12-17-2009, 05:37 AM
blair doesnt really shoot jumpshots. if he has a poor FT% there's not much thats at stake.

raspsa
12-17-2009, 05:38 AM
He should try shooting FTs Rick Barry-style.. underhanded.

HarlemHeat37
12-17-2009, 05:42 AM
he doesn't shoot Js, but he SHOULD..the guy is definitely gonna need to develop a reliable mid-range J to become a factor in the league for a long time..

SpurNation
12-17-2009, 06:48 AM
Steady improvement is all one can ask and thus far and he's been doing that. From the get go I thought he could learn fast enough this year to obtain starting status. Developing a consistent fall away jumper would help.

BOHOLANO#21
12-17-2009, 07:22 AM
In my opinion, teaching Blair how to shoot differently is a bad idea. He's the kind of guy who sorta teaches himself and adapts accordingly. Sorta like the way he taught his body how to play w/o ACL's or the way he taught himself to rebound over bigger guys. Look at Marion and that fugly jumpshot. Some guys just have their own way. Nothing wrong with re-learning a few fundamentals but Blair is a rare case and teaching him how to shoot differently can throw a wrench in the machinery so to speak.
GHILL and TP had their shooting redone by chip so i don't think it would be a problem.

benefactor
12-17-2009, 09:14 AM
I figured this would be on the docket eventually...but I'm kinda surprised they are doing it this soon. I was thinking they would probably wait until the summer.

It's no secret that Blair really needs to develop some sort of midrange game in order to be a long term contributor on this team. He has already shown that he is a willing student of the game with his defensive improvements, so hopefully this will translate over to his shooting. If he can knock down that 15-18 footer with some consistency and continue to sharpen the rest of his big man skills by learning from the greatest PF ever to play, he has a very bright future on this team.

ElNono
12-17-2009, 09:20 AM
Kid works hard inside and outside the court... Great pickup...

dbestpro
12-17-2009, 09:34 AM
Imagine how hard this guy would be to cover if he had a consistent mid-range jump shot or even 3 point range. Add that to the package and you are talking future allstar.

picnroll
12-17-2009, 09:36 AM
He sets great picks, best on the team. Abiltiy to pick and pop would complement his game nicely.

EmptyMan
12-17-2009, 09:57 AM
Blair was hitting some nice J's in summer league.