PDA

View Full Version : Best QB ever?

Dre_7
12-17-2009, 03:04 AM
Ok so yall are gonna think I am nuts, but I had a nice herbally indoced discussion with my cousin about who is the best QB ever. What would you think if I said Steve Young is the best QB of all time?

(I have a feeling I am gonna look back at this post and laugh at eveing saying that lol)

Will Hunting
12-17-2009, 03:07 AM
Nigga you're dumb

J.T.
12-17-2009, 03:19 AM
Manning

Greg Oden
12-17-2009, 03:21 AM
Eli Manning

symple19
12-17-2009, 03:59 AM
Ok so yall are gonna think I am nuts, but I had a nice herbally indoced discussion with my cousin about who is the best QB ever. What would you think if I said Steve Young is the best QB of all time?

(I have a feeling I am gonna look back at this post and laugh at eveing saying that lol)

He's not even the best 49er QB

Dre_7
12-17-2009, 04:50 AM
He's not even the best 49er QB

I disagree. I am a die hard lifelong Niner and Montana fan, but I think Young was better than Montana.

PGDynasty24
12-17-2009, 04:54 AM
Montana or Elway

peewee's lovechild
12-17-2009, 12:37 PM
Joe Montana.

It's not even close.

monosylab1k
12-17-2009, 01:21 PM
It's Montana. Steve Young is really underrated tho.

monosylab1k
12-17-2009, 01:22 PM
Manning

lol volek

monosylab1k
12-17-2009, 01:24 PM
if someone can find one time that Joe Montana ever got owned by Mike Tomczak in the playoffs, I'll put Peyton ahead of him.

JoeTait75
12-17-2009, 01:30 PM
John Elway.

DBryant88
12-17-2009, 01:40 PM
Troy Aikman

J.T.
12-17-2009, 02:00 PM
Troy Akiman

who is that like troy aikman's japanese cousin or some shit?

Dr Cox
12-17-2009, 02:02 PM
Elway

stretch
12-17-2009, 02:29 PM
1. Peyton Manning
2. Tom Brady
3. Joe Montana

stretch
12-17-2009, 02:31 PM
if someone can find one time that Joe Montana ever got owned by Mike Tomczak in the playoffs, I'll put Peyton ahead of him.

worst argument ever

saying one player got owned by another player when they both play the same position and are NEVER on the field at the same time. thats like saying a kick returner owned a runningback because the runningback kept getting stuffed all game, or something like that. makes no sense.

LOL texans
12-17-2009, 03:08 PM
Manning

Young was pretty good tho. Highest rated passer of all time.

symple19
12-17-2009, 04:22 PM
No doubt Young is an all-time great, but better than Joe he's not, IMO. Now, if Steve had gotten a chance to play more early in his career then things may have been different.

Joe was magical, freakin magical. Here are some numbers:

Career record - Montana 133-54 / 71%
Young 102-55 / 65%

Since both have video game numbers for the regular season, I'll skip to the postseason numbers

Joe Montana: 460 of 734 (62.7 percent) for 5,772 yards (7.9 YPA), 45 touchdowns, and 21 interceptions. Quarterback rating of 95.5.

Steve Young: 275 of 447 (61.5 percent) for 3,118 yards (7.0 YPA), 20 touchdowns, and 12 interceptions. Quarterback rating of 86.1.

When you take into account the come from behind wins that Joe had, most notably the drive against the cowboys (referenced in my sig) and the drive against the Bengals in the super Bowl (which I watched -- was too young to watch "the catch" except in replays), it just seems to me you have to give the edge to Joe.

My favorite SY stat line is this one, and I had to mention it. Steve was an absurd athlete. Rushing - Steve Young: 804 for 4,745 yards (5.9 YPA) and 50 touchdowns. That shit is ridicucrunkulous

It's my opinion that Steve had better slightly better Niner teams around him as well, especially when comparing to the early 80's Niner teams.

In particular, I really think the O-lines that Steve had were mostly better than Joes, although offensive line play was really never a major worry for either QB

Overall, I give it to Joe, but Steve is always going to be right up there.

symple19
12-17-2009, 04:25 PM
My final reason is pretty simple. Joe led the team to 4 of these

http://www.iconsportsmedia.com/image_dir/album34652/md_9200019_49ers_Trophies.JPG

symple19
12-17-2009, 04:25 PM
double post

badfish22
12-17-2009, 04:26 PM
1. Peyton Manning

Thats a bit of a stretch.

2. Tom Brady

:lmao

symple19
12-17-2009, 04:34 PM
Also, we should mention the old school guys. Unitas, Tarkenton(no ring), Bradshaw, and Staubach

Don't think anybody threw Marino out there either, even though he never got the ring.

My top 5

1. Montana
2. Elway
3. Johnny U.
4. Marino
5. Bradshaw

I won't consider anybody until their career is over. Obviously, Favre, Brady, and Manning will be in this discussion once they've hung em' up.

J.T.
12-17-2009, 04:42 PM
Favre won't. Manning will prison rape his records and they he'll just be the guy that should've retired four seasons before he did.

Sancha
12-17-2009, 04:43 PM
The best quarter bag I've ever had was in Idaho of all places. This guy scored some primo shit out of sheer luck and had no idea what he had. I went back and bought the rest and turned it into a $15K profit.

stretch
12-17-2009, 04:43 PM
Also, we should mention the old school guys. Unitas, Tarkenton(no ring), Bradshaw, and Staubach

Don't think anybody threw Marino out there either, even though he never got the ring.

My top 5

1. Montana
2. Elway
3. Johnny U.
4. Marino
5. Bradshaw

I won't consider anybody until their career is over. Obviously, Favre, Brady, and Manning will be in this discussion once they've hung em' up.

die

JoeTait75
12-17-2009, 04:49 PM
When you take into account the come from behind wins that Joe had, most notably the drive against the cowboys (referenced in my sig) and the drive against the Bengals in the super Bowl (which I watched -- was too young to watch "the catch" except in replays), it just seems to me you have to give the edge to Joe.

Just to play devil's advocate, a lot of credit for the drive against the Cowboys has to go to Bill Walsh and his play-calling. A big chunk of that drive consisted of sweeps to Lenvil Elliott against Dallas's nickel defense along with a reverse to Freddie Solomon. Bill really owned Tom Landry on that drive.

Joe also threw a couple of horrendous interceptions to help put the 49ers in that hole to begin with.

It's my opinion that Steve had better slightly better Niner teams around him as well, especially when comparing to the early 80's Niner teams.

Agreed. The '81 team was probably the weakest of San Francisco's Super Bowl teams.

symple19
12-17-2009, 04:50 PM
die

He won 4 rings dude. If you're talking pure stats, then obviously he wouldn't be on that list

stretch
12-17-2009, 05:06 PM
He won 4 rings dude. If you're talking pure stats, then obviously he wouldn't be on that list

rings are a TEAM accomplishment. when are you morons going to realize that?

bradshaw sucked ass

symple19
12-17-2009, 05:08 PM
rings are a TEAM accomplishment. when are you morons going to realize that?

bradshaw sucked ass

You're a raider fan right? You, of all people, should understand the importance of a QB

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
12-17-2009, 05:10 PM
Manning ahead of Montana only enters the debate, for me, if the Colts win another SB.

PGDynasty24
12-17-2009, 05:24 PM
manning is the best statistic QB of all time,or will be. But I take the likes of Montana and Elway over him,those guys did special things in the playoffs

stretch
12-17-2009, 05:35 PM
You're a raider fan right? You, of all people, should understand the importance of a QB

what does that have to do with the fact that bradshaw is the most overrated QB of all time? the dude sucked. he had two superstar receievers to throw to, a superstar running back, and one of the most dominant defenses ever, and still sucked ass. if his team didnt win 4 superbowls, no one would even know who he is because he sucked so much ass. people would only know him for how much ass he sucked.

stretch
12-17-2009, 05:37 PM
manning is the best statistic QB of all time,or will be. But I take the likes of Montana and Elway over him,those guys did special things in the playoffs

and Manning hasnt? hes done some great things. its unfortunate he has always had shit for a defense, and pretty much was relied upon entirely to win games for the colts, whereas guys like elway and montana and brady could rely on their defense to keep them in games when they were sucking.

symple19
12-17-2009, 05:38 PM
if his team didnt win 4 superbowls,

but they did. Consistency is a lot harder than it looks on TV

JoeTait75
12-17-2009, 05:40 PM
Pittsburgh didn't run for squat in either of their SB wins over Dallas or the win over the L.A. Rams. Bradshaw came up huge in all three of those games. They don't win those SB's without him.

symple19
12-17-2009, 05:46 PM
Pittsburgh didn't run for squat in either of their SB wins over Dallas or the win over the L.A. Rams. Bradshaw came up huge in all three of those games. They don't win those SB's without him.

Not to mention leading his team to the playoffs for 8 straight years. I agree his numbers aren't even close to all the others we're listing, but as far as leadership and intangibles he has to be in the discussion.

PGDynasty24
12-17-2009, 05:50 PM
and Manning hasnt? hes done some great things. its unfortunate he has always had shit for a defense, and pretty much was relied upon entirely to win games for the colts, whereas guys like elway and montana and brady could rely on their defense to keep them in games when they were sucking.

do u know your history bro? Elway when he was younger played on some really crappy teams,he single handidly led teams to super bowls.

LakerHater
12-17-2009, 05:51 PM
Dan Marino!

Payton Manning will be when its all said and done but, right now its Dan Marino!

JoeTait75
12-17-2009, 05:55 PM
Not to mention leading his team to the playoffs for 8 straight years. I agree his numbers aren't even close to all the others we're listing, but as far as leadership and intangibles he has to be in the discussion.

Not to mention pure talent. Bradshaw's size, speed, and arm strength were ungodly. The guy was a specimen.

One guy who would be in the discussion if not for injuries and a deteriorating team around him: Bert Jones. He had all the tools.

do u know your history bro? Elway when he was younger played on some really crappy teams,he single handidly led teams to super bowls.

That's a fact.

symple19
12-17-2009, 06:04 PM
Not to mention pure talent. Bradshaw's size, speed, and arm strength were ungodly. The guy was a specimen.

Unfortunately I was much too young to see him play. My knowledge of him is pretty much from ESPN Classic and NFL films. You're spot on about his uncanny knack to rise up in the big game. Some things just can't be measured in numbers.

I think a lot of people don't take him seriously because he tends to act like a yokel on FOX pre-game.

Bert Jones replaced Johnny U for the Colts right? He had some pretty good years I think, but otherwise I don't know much about him

LakerHater
12-17-2009, 06:05 PM
ESPN did a story on this, I'll try & find it!

LakerHater
12-17-2009, 06:13 PM
Top 10 QBs of All Time

Marv Levy, Art Rooney Jr., Zeke Bratkowski, Ken Meyer, Larry Kennan, James Harris and Dick Haley helped ESPN.com evaluate the best quarterbacks in NFL history. ESPN.com weighed their contributions, balancing rankings with anecdotal evidence, to create the following list.

OVERALL

1. Johnny Unitas
2. Joe Montana
3. Tom Brady <--WTF!
4. Dan Marino
5. Peyton Manning
6. John Elway
7. Terry Bradshaw
8. Brett Favre
9. Otto Graham
10. Dan Fouts

slayermin
12-17-2009, 06:14 PM
Dan Marino

And I agree, Steve Young > Joe Montana.

JoeTait75
12-17-2009, 06:15 PM
Bert Jones replaced Johnny U for the Colts right? He had some pretty good years I think, but otherwise I don't know much about him

Yeah, Jones was a rookie in '73. He had about three great years in the mid-to-late '70s with one off-the-charts year in '76 (QB rating of 104, and this was before the rule changes to open up the offenses.) He separated his shoulder in a preseason game in '78, came back too early, aggravated it, and was never the same.

As for Bradshaw, even with his "dumb yokel" reputation, he called his own plays his entire career.

stretch
12-17-2009, 06:25 PM

lol do you know your history? those broncos teams had some damn good defenses. dont get me wrong, he did a great job, but was he ever able to finish the job? no he was too busy throwing to the wrong team in the superbowl

stretch
12-17-2009, 06:26 PM

they also could have won more that 4 superbowls if it wasnt for show ridiculously inconsistent bradshaw was. yeah he came up big at times, but just as many times, he hurt the team badly too by throwing a shitload of picks.

dickface
12-17-2009, 06:31 PM
any list that puts Terry Bradshaw ahead of Roger Staubach is idiotic. Put Staubach on the Steelers and Bradshaw on the Cowboys, and the Cowboys go ringless in the 70's while the Steelers win 5 or 6.

DBryant88
12-18-2009, 08:13 AM
Top 10 QBs of All Time

Marv Levy, Art Rooney Jr., Zeke Bratkowski, Ken Meyer, Larry Kennan, James Harris and Dick Haley helped ESPN.com evaluate the best quarterbacks in NFL history. ESPN.com weighed their contributions, balancing rankings with anecdotal evidence, to create the following list.

OVERALL

1. Johnny Unitas
2. Joe Montana
3. Tom Brady <--WTF!
4. Dan Marino
5. Peyton Manning
6. John Elway
7. Terry Bradshaw
8. Brett Favre
9. Otto Graham
10. Dan Fouts

Dan Fuckin' Fouts before Roger Staubach???

Louae
12-18-2009, 09:39 AM
lol do you know your history? those broncos teams had some damn good defenses. dont get me wrong, he did a great job, but was he ever able to finish the job? no he was too busy throwing to the wrong team in the superbowl

Good defenses? Umm.. I'm sorry but Elway was the reason they were in those Super Bowls. The team doesn't even make the playoffs without Elway. In fact, they are a 5 win team. Elway was amazing when he was younger.

Louae
12-18-2009, 09:51 AM
Top 10 QBs of All Time

OVERALL

1. Johnny Unitas
2. Joe Montana
3. Tom Brady <--WTF!
4. Dan Marino
5. Peyton Manning
6. John Elway
7. Terry Bradshaw
8. Brett Favre
9. Otto Graham
10. Dan Fouts

Unitas / Montana / Graham - jumble them up in the top 3 and I wouldn't be upset with the order. Below that, Elway and Staubach are next. Brady would follow at #6. Steve Young at #7 with Manning possibly jumping him with another SB appearance b/c he's obviously the reason they'd get there. Then Marino at #8. Favre at #9 and finally #10 could be a tossup between a number of QBs.

johnsmith
12-18-2009, 10:02 AM
Good defenses? Umm.. I'm sorry but Elway was the reason they were in those Super Bowls. The team doesn't even make the playoffs without Elway. In fact, they are a 5 win team. Elway was amazing when he was younger.

As a life long Broncos fan, I don't disagree with you that Elway was the main reason.

However, Stretch is correct in that the Broncos did have solid defenses during his three super bowl losses, but certainly not solid enough to carry them to the super bowl.

My rankings go as followed:

Elway
Montana

I don't give a fuck after that.

peewee's lovechild
12-18-2009, 11:48 AM
As of right now, Montana is still the greatest QB ever. Period.

However, before it's all said and done, I think Manning will go down as the greatest to have ever played the game.

This is coming from a Cowboys fan. I wish I could say that Aikman was the greatest ever, but I'd be a flat out liar. Joe Montana crushed me with "The Catch". I still remember crying as a little kid when I saw that.

But, I can't deny just how great and clutch he was. Until Manning, I never saw a QB as composed and confident, not to mention clutch, as Montana. Sure, there are other greats that are worthy of the debate (Elway, Marino, Young) that I was able to wintess, as well as those that I didn't witness (Unitas, Staubach - a bit too young to have seen him play, Starr, Lawson,Tittle), but no one had such command of the game the way Montana did.

Manning is well on his way of setting his own legacy. All he needs is a couple of more SBs and he'll probably be the unquestionable greatest QB of all time. He's already smashed records and setting more every season, there's no reason to doubt that he'll go down as the greatest ever once his career is done.

samikeyp
12-18-2009, 12:17 PM
Otto Graham

SpuronyourFace
12-18-2009, 12:19 PM
Coming from a Cowboys fan, I can easily say Montana was greatness AND he has the rings to back it up. When a QB has multiple championships under his belt, that goes a long way in telling you how great a QB really was. That tells you he played clutch in the playoffs. And the clutchness factor is not something that shows up on the stat sheet. But it sure as hell shows up when you have rings on your fingers.

#1 Montana IMO

Al Koholik
12-18-2009, 12:36 PM
The best QB ever was Joe Fuggin Namath. That interview with that bitch Suzy Kolber was the best I have ever seen. Couldn't have done better myself.

http://images.usatoday.com/sports/football/_photos/2004-10-15-inside-namath-ko.jpg