PDA

View Full Version : Mc Grady anyone ?

venitian navigator
12-17-2009, 10:46 AM
Looks like the Jefferson's experiment is not going well...and that the Rockets have no intention to play T Mac also if (maybe) healthy.
Whattabout a trade of, for example, Jefferson, Haislip and RMJ for T Mac ?

The good : 1) if healthy, T Mac is obviously better than Jefferson and a real
total weapon for a final run to the title
2) if the experiment goes wriong, however next year his
23.000.000 contract expires and we can be back
on the market

mudyez
12-17-2009, 10:53 AM
I'm not high on t-mac but if anything the shorter contract is enticing

InvolvingDesigns
12-17-2009, 10:55 AM
I'm not high on t-mac but if anything the shorter contract is enticing

Based on the History from POP.... Finley will take Tmac's MIN :depressed

SpurNation
12-17-2009, 10:56 AM
I would think Houston keeps the expiring contract for themselves if they couldn't get more than Jefferson and Mason in a trade.

venitian navigator
12-17-2009, 11:04 AM
I would think Houston keeps the expiring contract for themselves if they couldn't get more than Jefferson and Mason in a trade.

well, is never a good idea to take a pleyer of T Mac history and vlaue always ion the bench for the entire season...
The least is a bad influence on the rest of the team 'cause the obvious malcontent...
Jefferson is not a bad player, after all, and in a more free scheme like then rockets one could be for sure a better player than in the Spurs system.

However, this offer looks better than the New York's one (Harrington, Jeffries and Mobley) and probably than any other one that Houston could receive (at least from a contender, following' T Mac desires) for a player with a so high risk of still being injury prone...

Ed Helicopter Jones
12-17-2009, 11:06 AM
McGrady's a proven post season performer. I say we do this!!

mudyez
12-17-2009, 11:08 AM
McGrady's a proven post season performer. I say we do this!!

actully he is...take a look at the tems he faced and you can rarely make an argument, that he wasnt the underdog anyway. (and he played pretty, lets say, "ok" every time, improving his numbers from REG to PO's)

Ed Helicopter Jones
12-17-2009, 11:13 AM
Sorry, I should have said his 'teams' are proven in the post season. To me, stat sheets mean nothing compared to the scoreboard. If he was the kind of guy that could elevate his team to advance farther than expected regardless of the competition, then I'd support your argument. You might just blame bad luck, but he hasn't yet gotten a team very far in the post season.

I've always liked TMac, but I don't really want him on the Spurs.

quentin_compson
12-17-2009, 11:13 AM

Exactly. I don't see why the Rockets would want RJ anyway, given that they just signed Ariza this summer.

Taking it to the Hole
12-17-2009, 11:17 AM
This should go under the category of "How to Make a Team Worse in One Season".

Chieflion
12-17-2009, 11:19 AM
LOL McGrady.

ffadicted
12-17-2009, 11:26 AM
LOL McGrady.

Under normal circumstances, I'd say this.
But due to his massive expiring contract, him being one of my favorite players, the fact he's better then RJ in almost everyway, and RJ isn't fitting in, I'd say fuck it :wakeup

But that's probably why I don't run the spurs lol :wakeup

Ginobili2Duncan
12-17-2009, 11:40 AM
Yes lets give up a player who hasn't missed a game in 2 years for a player who can't even stay on the court. Not to mention he is 30, but his back swears he is 60, and he is coming off of microfracture surgery, very few older players coming off of this major surgery are half the players they used to be.

mrose31
12-17-2009, 12:00 PM
Salary rise it won't work Jefferson makes just a little more half of what T mac makes. We would have to trade away 2 other good players so this makes no sense.

Indazone
12-17-2009, 12:23 PM
T-Mac to another contender would light a fire under him. He's pissed off at the Rockets now and worked his ass off over the summer to get back in playing shape. But I can't see the Rockets doing this. Why would they help a division rival?

EricB
12-17-2009, 12:23 PM
Mcgrady is a pussy and a cancer. Pass on him on all days that end in y.

Muser
12-17-2009, 12:29 PM
The contract is appealing, but no way Houston or SA do this.

Indazone
12-17-2009, 12:47 PM
didn't think you guys would do the Scola deal either :lol

murpjf88
12-17-2009, 01:21 PM
Looks like the Jefferson's experiment is not going well...and that the Rockets have no intention to play T Mac also if (maybe) healthy.

on the market

hmm, I dont know. Giving up jefferson and rmj in the same trade would be asking an awful lot. Besides, mcgrady has a bit of an attitude problem which could be detrimental toward team chemistry. It might also take til mid april before he learns the system. By then, the spurs will be out of the playoffs.

He' also injury prone. Another guy that would miss substantial time due to injuries.

Who, in their right mind, would want haislip.

Indazone
12-17-2009, 01:44 PM
Actually think Jefferson and Mason would fit in way better in Houston's motion offense than T-Mac would. T-Mac needs to dominate the ball coming off screens and high pick and rolls.

duncan228
12-17-2009, 01:45 PM
Today’s Tracy McGrady Update (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=tsn-todaystracymcgradyup&prov=tsn&type=lgns)
SportingNews

As we continue to try and make sense of T-Mac’s return (http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/The_Baseline/entry/view/47924/making_sense_of_mcgradys_comeback__), there have been two developments, each pulling us in seemingly opposite directions.

Adelman isn’t just going stick McGrady back in a starting slot; he’ll figure out how he makes sense with this team, and at the same time, how he might change it. And, given this squad’s highly-adaptive rotation, it also makes sense that T-Mac’s role won’t be cut-and-dry even when he’s 100 percent. From the Houston Chronicle:

Rockets coach Rick Adelman doesn’t know where he will get the seven to eight minutes each game he plans to give to Tracy McGrady. But he guesses they will come from several players and could change from game to game, depending on matchups. […]

"We have a nice rotation going," Adelman said. "It’s not that simple plugging somebody back in. It changes the dynamic. We’re trying to do it with the least amount of upheaval on the team. It’s going to affect everybody, really. But I think we can work it out. I don’t want to play Shane (Battier) that many minutes. Trevor (Ariza) has been playing a lot of minutes. We can figure it out. We just have to keep evaluating it."

Murky, I know. Sorry, fantasy basketball fanatics. But this does make the most basketball sense, which you can pretty much expect from Adelman. It’s a good thing that the rest of the team has already been living this dream all season, and that while Ariza professes to have no problem with the heavy workload this season, he’s used to varying minutes.

But hark, there’s another development. Chris Sheridan of ESPN.com (http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/11579/more-on-tracy-mcgradys-comeback-knicks-want-him) says that "Tracy McGrady is likely going to end up getting traded at some time in the next seven months—maybe in a sign-and-trade deal after he becomes a free agent July 1, maybe at the trade deadline in mid-February, or maybe even sooner." The Knicks are supposedly the ones pushing the hardest. They want McGrady’s gigantic expiring deal so they can go after two max players in 2010.

Awesome, right? It also might be fun to see T-Mac in D’Antoni-land for a few months, diminished as he may be. For the Rockets to bite, though, they’d have to be willing to give up that cap space themselves. Do they really want David Lee? Not sure why they would when they have Scola. Al Harrington? Maybe, they need scorers. Eddy Curry? That name still makes me laugh. Seems that, as with the Knicks’ pursuit of every All-Star ever next summer, this may all be in Walsh’s head.

What does this mean for the Rockets? Well, since T-Mac’s value is as expiring money, they don’t really need to showcase him. In fact, they don’t even need to play him if they think they’re trading him. I guess they don’t want to tip their hand. At the same time, the way Adelman’s going about this, it seems like he’s presuming he will have McGrady to work with for at least a little while. Then again, what choice does he have?

Indazone
12-17-2009, 01:50 PM
I'd rather trade Ariza away...that guy just plain sucks. Yeah call me officially an Ariza hater.

DesignatedT
12-17-2009, 01:51 PM
Today’s Tracy McGrady Update (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=tsn-todaystracymcgradyup&prov=tsn&type=lgns)
SportingNews

As we continue to try and make sense of T-Mac’s return (http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/The_Baseline/entry/view/47924/making_sense_of_mcgradys_comeback__), there have been two developments, each pulling us in seemingly opposite directions.

Adelman isn’t just going stick McGrady back in a starting slot; he’ll figure out how he makes sense with this team, and at the same time, how he might change it. And, given this squad’s highly-adaptive rotation, it also makes sense that T-Mac’s role won’t be cut-and-dry even when he’s 100 percent. From the Houston Chronicle:

Rockets coach Rick Adelman doesn’t know where he will get the seven to eight minutes each game he plans to give to Tracy McGrady. But he guesses they will come from several players and could change from game to game, depending on matchups. […]

"We have a nice rotation going," Adelman said. "It’s not that simple plugging somebody back in. It changes the dynamic. We’re trying to do it with the least amount of upheaval on the team. It’s going to affect everybody, really. But I think we can work it out. I don’t want to play Shane (Battier) that many minutes. Trevor (Ariza) has been playing a lot of minutes. We can figure it out. We just have to keep evaluating it."

Murky, I know. Sorry, fantasy basketball fanatics. But this does make the most basketball sense, which you can pretty much expect from Adelman. It’s a good thing that the rest of the team has already been living this dream all season, and that while Ariza professes to have no problem with the heavy workload this season, he’s used to varying minutes.

But hark, there’s another development. Chris Sheridan of ESPN.com (http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/11579/more-on-tracy-mcgradys-comeback-knicks-want-him) says that "Tracy McGrady is likely going to end up getting traded at some time in the next seven months—maybe in a sign-and-trade deal after he becomes a free agent July 1, maybe at the trade deadline in mid-February, or maybe even sooner." The Knicks are supposedly the ones pushing the hardest. They want McGrady’s gigantic expiring deal so they can go after two max players in 2010.

Awesome, right? It also might be fun to see T-Mac in D’Antoni-land for a few months, diminished as he may be. For the Rockets to bite, though, they’d have to be willing to give up that cap space themselves. Do they really want David Lee? Not sure why they would when they have Scola. Al Harrington? Maybe, they need scorers. Eddy Curry? That name still makes me laugh. Seems that, as with the Knicks’ pursuit of every All-Star ever next summer, this may all be in Walsh’s head.

What does this mean for the Rockets? Well, since T-Mac’s value is as expiring money, they don’t really need to showcase him. In fact, they don’t even need to play him if they think they’re trading him. I guess they don’t want to tip their hand. At the same time, the way Adelman’s going about this, it seems like he’s presuming he will have McGrady to work with for at least a little while. Then again, what choice does he have?

This is interesting, IMO if i was Houston, I would definitely want David Lee from NY. He would help tremendously inside for them, and is still quick enough to run that fast break they want. i would do this if i were houston..

wildbill2u
12-17-2009, 02:21 PM

The reason they aren't playing TMAC is that they get 80% of his huge contract paid for by insurance right now--but if he was certified to play and stepped on the court for one second that coverage would end--and they have no assurance that he will not reinjure himself and give them any help this year.

On the other hand, they'll drop that huge payroll hit next year if they decide not to renew him.

I don't think they'd entertain offers until the trade deadline and maybe not then. And any team taking on his contract would be making a huge gamble, the same that the Rokets made when they signed him.

Mel_13
12-17-2009, 02:30 PM

on the market

Even if the Spurs were interested, I can't see any reason for Houston to make this trade. They already have Battier, Ariza, and Budinger at small forward. RJ's salary is more than those three players combined.

If Houston trades TMac, rather than just letting his contract expire, it will to improve a position of weakness. They're covered pretty well at SF.

quentin_compson
12-17-2009, 03:21 PM
The reason they aren't playing TMAC is that they get 80% of his huge contract paid for by insurance right now--but if he was certified to play and stepped on the court for one second that coverage would end--and they have no assurance that he will not reinjure himself and give them any help this year.

But he already played in the last two games the Rockets had.

Duncan2177
12-17-2009, 03:55 PM
T-Mac to another contender would light a fire under him. He's pissed off at the Rockets now and worked his ass off over the summer to get back in playing shape. But I can't see the Rockets doing this. Why would they help a division rival?

The spurs helped the rockets out giving them Scola for peanuts. So why not?