PDA

View Full Version : Rage Against the Machine...

symple19
12-17-2009, 06:23 PM
...Isn't going to do what some Limey fuck tells them to do. This is what happens when you ask them to play 'Killin in the name' on the air. Awesome.

http://www.tmz.com/2009/12/17/rage-against-the-machine-killing-in-the-name-radio-show-eff-cuss-explicit/

And thank fuckin' goodness they're back together. Audioslave w/ Chris Cornell made me want to throw up.

z0sa
12-17-2009, 06:30 PM
I am a big audioslave fan, at least their first two albums.

That said, RATM just blows their shit out of the water.. it's too bad most people (i've known) who jam them don't take any time to understand the meanings behind Zack's lyrics.

panic giraffe
12-17-2009, 06:36 PM
that was funny.

are they really back together? like for good and not just for a few big festivals like last year?

although i hope tom and zach will keep up their soloshit. audioslave can go suck a dick. chris cornell is good by himself, the guys in rage are great by themselves or with zach. the two together made no sense to me and their music sucked.

symple19
12-17-2009, 06:47 PM
that was funny.

are they really back together? like for good and not just for a few big festivals like last year?

although i hope tom and zach will keep up their soloshit. audioslave can go suck a dick. chris cornell is good by himself, the guys in rage are great by themselves or with zach. the two together made no sense to me and their music sucked.

As far as I know, they are continuing to play shows and promote their various causes, all the while continuing with their assorted solo projects. Zack has said that there are no plans to record new material, but also didn't rule it out.

Ignignokt
12-17-2009, 07:14 PM
I am a big audioslave fan, at least their first two albums.

That said, RATM just blows their shit out of the water.. it's too bad most people (i've known) who jam them don't take any time to understand the meanings behind Zack's lyrics.

lololololololololololololol :lmao lolololoololololol :lmao x1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

z0sa
12-17-2009, 07:17 PM
^ don't like audioslave?

Dr. Gonzo
12-17-2009, 07:57 PM
lololololololololololololol :lmao lolololoololololol :lmao x1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

I concur.

leemajors
12-17-2009, 07:59 PM
Damn, they're so rebellious and anti-establishment

Dr. Gonzo
12-17-2009, 08:02 PM

ha

CubanSucks
12-17-2009, 08:44 PM

:lmao

Greg Oden
12-17-2009, 08:46 PM
Cornell > that guy

panic giraffe
12-17-2009, 08:54 PM
Cornell > that guy

um......you're entitled to your opinion, but on what basis would that statement be true?

like volume of sales or raw talent?

Leetonidas
12-17-2009, 08:55 PM
RATM fails so hard, as well as all their little angry white guy followers.

Greg Oden
12-17-2009, 08:55 PM
raw talent

lil_penny
12-17-2009, 10:02 PM
Cornell > de la roca

BlackSwordsMan
12-17-2009, 10:06 PM
good these guys need to make a new cd already demonoid is back and I need something to download

DarkReign
12-18-2009, 12:24 PM
Audioslave was good shit, fuck the haters.

They had the same run of awesomeness....two albums. First and Second for both bands.

Battle for Los Angeles blows hard as did Revelations.

DisAsTerBot
12-18-2009, 12:36 PM
rage ftw!

panic giraffe
12-18-2009, 03:04 PM
Audioslave was good shit, fuck the haters.

They had the same run of awesomeness....two albums. First and Second for both bands.

Battle for Los Angeles blows hard as did Revelations.

audioslave have more than 2 albums?

i dunno i pay about as much attention to them as i do other craprock bands like nickleback...

i mean when i first heard about them, i thought that it would be good in theory, another post 90's superband, had to be better than...talkshow, velvet revolver, etc...but their music just didn't click to me. it was like they took the worst song ideas from rage and soundgarden and made them come together. but hey, i guess it was a paycheck.

In10se
12-18-2009, 03:09 PM
Are they gonna tour? I'd love to see them live. Especially Tom Morello's guitar work.

panic giraffe
12-18-2009, 03:13 PM
anyways, de la rocha is way more poetic, has 100000000000000000 times more energy, and freggin practically started a genre of music (abeit a crappy one that got way outta control and was really just a fad). all cornell did was have a smokey talented voice and jump on the grunge bandwagon. i've seen all three live (rage, soundgarden, and audioslave) and rage was the best show, and that was the battle of LA tour when they were already fighting and you could see the lack of chemistry on stage...

leemajors
12-18-2009, 03:54 PM
anyways, de la rocha is way more poetic, has 100000000000000000 times more energy, and freggin practically started a genre of music (abeit a crappy one that got way outta control and was really just a fad). all cornell did was have a smokey talented voice and jump on the grunge bandwagon. i've seen all three live (rage, soundgarden, and audioslave) and rage was the best show, and that was the battle of LA tour when they were already fighting and you could see the lack of chemistry on stage...

what genre did he start? imo, his lyrics have about as much of a poetic quality as Full on Kevin's Mom by Soundgarden.

In10se
12-18-2009, 03:56 PM
what genre did he start?

Rap vocals over rock music. That rap-rock fusion. Don't know if they were the first to do it or not, but they were definitely the first to do it well.

peewee's lovechild
12-18-2009, 03:58 PM
Rap vocals over rock music. That rap-rock fusion. Don't know if they were the first to do it or not, but they were definitely the first to do it well.

Run DMC beat them to it.

Dr. Gonzo
12-18-2009, 03:59 PM
Beastie Boys were the first that I remember. Anthrax shortly followed.

peewee's lovechild
12-18-2009, 04:06 PM
Forgot about Anthrax.

leemajors
12-18-2009, 04:13 PM
Beastie Boys were the first that I remember. Anthrax shortly followed.

That sucks, I was about to posit that Fred Durst was Zack's protege of sorts.

peewee's lovechild
12-18-2009, 04:15 PM

Protege would come after. Did Limp Dick come after Rage Against The Gay?

DarkReign
12-18-2009, 04:17 PM

Yes.

Dr. Gonzo
12-18-2009, 04:18 PM

Wow. You are amazingly witty.

EmptyMan
12-18-2009, 04:19 PM
RATM fails so hard, as well as all their little angry white guy followers.

lol. Yeah, I never really cared enough to look into what they are bitching about, but their music makes for great workout tunes that never get old.

peewee's lovechild
12-18-2009, 04:28 PM
Wow. You are amazingly witty.

I know, huh?

z0sa
12-18-2009, 04:56 PM
ughhhhh

I don't understand some of these responses at all.

classifying nickelback and audioslave in the same "crap rock" category? Do you know who Tom Morello is?

Zack, one of the best lyricists of the last 20 years IMO, being called out for a lack of "poetic skill", so to speak?

And maybe, just maybe, the actual idea of RATM's "prank" was stupid, but it's also meaningful for a variety of reasons.. not the least of which being the ridiculous censorship of our airwaves. You see comedy shows like FG make gags on such ideas all the time, it's almost a regular part of their jokes - but when someone actually steps up to the mic and let's people here it straight from his or her mouth, it's somehow foolhardy or laughably stupid.

Pretty sad that some people don't understand that what their favorite writers, actors and musicians are crying out for.

leemajors
12-18-2009, 05:19 PM
Zack, one of the best lyricists of the last 20 years IMO, being called out for a lack of "poetic skill", so to speak?

I posted what I did mockingly because I don't think he is much of a lyricist at all, personally. He was a great rallying point for cause-its in weekly demonstrations on campuses around the country, as well as stoners who waxed political in their finer moments. To loosely quote a college acquaintence of mine circa 1998 - "His lyrics are all political and shit, and Morello went to Harvard, dude..." I think he is easily outshined by Cornell, especially in the lyrics department. See what I did there?

That being said, I was interested to hear his work with DJ Shadow and Trent Reznor (separate stuff), but neither was ever released. I also think the causes they championed were worthy, but was really turned off by Zack's voice, and thought his lyrics were lacking, which he may have tried to make up for by screaming so much.

panic giraffe
12-18-2009, 05:21 PM
ughhhhh

I don't understand some of these responses at all.

classifying nickelback and audioslave in the same "crap rock" category? Do you know who Tom Morello is?

And maybe, just maybe, the actual idea of RATM's "prank" was stupid, but it's also meaningful for a variety of reasons.. not the least of which being the ridiculous censorship of our airwaves. You see comedy shows like FG make gags on such ideas all the time, it's almost a regular part of their jokes - but when someone actually steps up to the mic and let's people here it straight from his or her mouth, it's somehow foolhardy or laughably stupid.

Pretty sad that some people don't understand that what their favorite writers, actors and musicians are crying out for.

zack would be the dylan of the 90's lyrically, even the songs that aren't political have so many meanings behind them....yea it was a stupid prank, there was really nothing rebellious about it (especially since the UK doesn't have nearly the same strict censorship laws as we do here), but its good to know there are some that follow in the line of morrison on ed sullivan.

and yea tom morello is probably the best guitarist, well ever, in terms of originality and talent, but even jimmy page and tony iommi played with some of not so greats as well as greats.

dude if you don't like them, then why go into a a thread about it? its not like you would catch me in a carrie underwood thread...besides my point was that if there was no rage, there wouldn't have been a limp bizkit(yea they do suck) but owe a great deal of that suck to a genius band.

no. just no. durst is to zack as that dude from silverchair was to kurt cobain.

Forgot about Anthrax.

true, with that whole judgement night thing, i'm sure they owe and influence to anthrax, even in the rift in that you can hear where tom morello tried to copy weird as fuck sounding sound effects from a guitar. so i would have to agree with this.

Dr. Gonzo
12-18-2009, 05:25 PM
zack would be the dylan of the 90's lyrically, even the songs that aren't political have so many meanings behind them....yea it was a stupid prank, there was really nothing rebellious about it (especially since the UK doesn't have nearly the same strict censorship laws as we do here), but its good to know there are some that follow in the line of morrison on ed sullivan.

and yea tom morello is probably the best guitarist, well ever, in terms of originality and talent, but even jimmy page and tony iommi played with some of not so greats as well as greats.

dude if you don't like them, then why go into a a thread about it? its not like you would catch me in a carrie underwood thread...besides my point was that if there was no rage, there wouldn't have been a limp bizkit(yea they do suck) but owe a great deal of that suck to a genius band.

no. just no. durst is to zack as that dude from silverchair was to kurt cobain.

true, with that whole judgement night thing, i'm sure they owe and influence to anthrax, even in the rift in that you can hear where tom morello tried to copy weird as fuck sounding sound effects from a guitar. so i would have to agree with this.

You must have a really low standard for genius.

Pink Floyd was a genius band. Rage, not so much.

Greg Oden
12-18-2009, 06:17 PM
damn brah

panic giraffe just knows everythin doesn't he?

panic giraffe
12-18-2009, 07:37 PM
You must have a really low standard for genius.

Pink Floyd was a genius band. Rage, not so much.

genius is relative. its just my opinion. you're entitled to your own. i would call pink floyd genius as well, but would put rage in the same category because they both had a new sound that wasn't widely heard in their respective generations til they came out.

damn brah

panic giraffe just knows everythin doesn't he?

never claimed to.

now please die in a fire.

Greg Oden
12-18-2009, 08:37 PM
:lmao you're still butthurt over a joke I made about SRV.

Sorry I don't finger my asshole to ratm like you do, carry on if that's your thing. No one's stopping you.

Ignignokt
12-18-2009, 10:52 PM
Greg Oden, Aka Stretch has owned this thread merciless.

Greg Oden
12-18-2009, 11:14 PM
Greg Oden, Aka Stretch has owned this thread merciless.

i said i saaaaiiiid i saaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiidddddddd

that asshat better bring his shinebox next time.

Cant_Be_Faded
12-18-2009, 11:18 PM
I love Rage. I'm not gonna spout on about how the lyrics are oozing with layers of deep meanings, or how they were the first or special in some special way.

They were good though. I still jam out to any of their hits that comes on the radio. I even liked Battle of LA. Not every song. But I like it. Their drumming and basslines are incredible. Morello is unique. Zach is a good screamer.

If you ask MannyIsWrong, he'll say that Zach was a punk bitch that spouted bull shit....most ironic thing he's ever said because Zach basically was Manny 1995-2000

Ignignokt
12-18-2009, 11:28 PM
Rage is okay.

They rock. But should never be mistaken for being deep. They're political songs ring deep like a 14 yr old kid who sports an Anarchy logo shirt and gets pissed that his mom made him a three course breakfast and is just like.. "Maawwwaamm!! I hate you! i just wanted a poptart, i need the sugar ruuuuusshh!!"

greyforest
12-19-2009, 01:26 AM
fuck you i wont do what you tell me

sook
12-19-2009, 01:41 AM
audioslave fucking rocks

Greg Oden
12-19-2009, 01:49 AM
audioslave fucking rocks

Yeah well that's cuz Cornell is a lot better than what's his face. Now run and hide before faggot giraffe tries to castrate you for not sharing the same opinion.

Ignignokt
12-19-2009, 01:51 AM
Rofl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

symple19
12-19-2009, 05:48 AM
RATM with Zach changed the thinking of thousands of indifferent youth.

Audioslave with Cornell sold some records.

lol cornell

Tu1wAP2Baco

symple19
12-19-2009, 05:52 AM
Fist in the air in the land of hypocrisy

symple19
12-19-2009, 06:16 AM
Social justice, equality, and fucking the system happen to be the MO of RATM.

If you like the status quo and MTV, then you like Audioslave. nothing new here.

DieMrBond
12-19-2009, 08:44 AM
While I absolutely love RATM and ZACH, lyrical genius?

Turn on tha radio, nah fuck it turn it off
Fear is your only god on the radio
Nah fuck it, turn it off
Turn it off, turn on tha radio, nah fuck it turn it off
Fear is your only god on the radio
Nah fuck it, your saviour's my guillotine, crosses and kerosene

Rally round tha family! With a pocket full of shells
They rally round tha family! With a pocket full of shells

Bulls on parade

Come wit it now!
Come wit it now!
Bulls on parade!
Bulls on parade!
Bulls on parade!
Bulls on parade!
Bulls on parade!

Sometimes he gets a little repetitive ;)

I'm also of the opinion that Audioslave WERE good, and had some really good songs. But the first RATM album is a fucking classic album, with some really inspired songs. Audioslave cant hold a candle to old RATM.

Also, have you guys seen this?

-------------------------------------------

Rage Against The Machine performed 'Killing In The Name' live on British radio this morning (December 17) - including full swearing in the chorus - as their Christmas Number One battle with The X Factor escalated.

Interviewed on BBC 5live, the band took the opportunity to criticise Simon Cowell before playing their song live down from the line from Los Angeles.

Despite being asked to perform a "radio edit", singer Zack de la Rocha slipped into the full "Fuck you I won't do what you tell me" lyrics, resulting in the station pulling the plug.

The band are currently the subject of a Facebook campaign to get their 1992 song to the Christmas Number One spot ahead of The X Factor winner Joe McElderry's 'The Climb'.

Speaking about the race, de la Rocha attacked Cowell, saying: "Simon is an interesting character. He seems to have profited greatly off humiliating people on live television and has a unique position of capturing the attention of people on television, but also the airwaves. We see this [campaign] as a necessary break of that control."

Meanwhile guitarist Tom Morello explained why the band had decided to back the fan-led campaign.

"People are tired of being spoon fed one schmaltzy ballad after another," he said. "They want to take back their own charts. We're honoured they've chosen our song to be the rebel anthem to topple The X Factor monopoly.

"People aren't buying 'Killing In The Name' to protest a record coming out on a major company. We wrote 'Killing In The Name' in a small industrial slum in Los Angeles. The X Factor song is written by a cabal of overpaid songwriters to shove the schmaltzy business down your throats. So there is two very different choices.

"The thing the listeners need to know is, it's a really close race and its a real liberating musical revolution and we’re honoured to be a part of it."

'Killing In The Name' recently became the bookies favourite to bag the Christmas Number One slot.

Simon Cowell has slammed the campaign, calling it "stupid", "cynical" and "very Scrooge". Rage Against The Machine's Tom Morello has publicly given the campaign his backing.

For more on The X Factor and its effect on British music, get the new issue of NME, on UK newsstands nationwide, for an exclusive interview with Cowell.

symple19
12-19-2009, 08:55 AM
Meanwhile guitarist Tom Morello explained why the band had decided to back the fan-led campaign.

"People are tired of being spoon fed one schmaltzy ballad after another," he said. "They want to take back their own charts. We're honoured they've chosen our song to be the rebel anthem to topple The X Factor monopoly.

"People aren't buying 'Killing In The Name' to protest a record coming out on a major company. We wrote 'Killing In The Name' in a small industrial slum in Los Angeles. The X Factor song is written by a cabal of overpaid songwriters to shove the schmaltzy business down your throats. So there is two very different choices.

"The thing the listeners need to know is, it's a really close race and its a real liberating musical revolution and we’re honoured to be a part of it."

Morello nails it.... FTW

leemajors
12-19-2009, 09:55 AM
Social justice, equality, and fucking the system happen to be the MO of RATM.

If you like the status quo and MTV, then you like Audioslave. nothing new here.

RATM got just as much, if not more, MTV play than Audioslave.

symple19
12-19-2009, 10:11 AM
ratm got just as much, if not more, mtv play than audioslave.

so?

Dr. Gonzo
12-19-2009, 11:18 AM
Rage was so interested in fucking the system they join a major record label, release singles for radio and have their videos all over MTV.

They fucked the system real good there. :jack

leemajors
12-19-2009, 11:49 AM
destroying it from the inside, man

panic giraffe
12-19-2009, 01:58 PM
Rage was so interested in fucking the system they join a major record label, release singles for radio and have their videos all over MTV.

They fucked the system real good there. :jack

so true. but if i never heard them when i was a kid i would have never been turned on to artist that actually practice what they preach. like crass, rudimentry peni, conflict, aus rotten, immortal technique, well you get the idea. plus i probably wouldn't have heard of mumia abu jamal or leonard peltier until i hit college if it wasn't for them. so they maybe just cashing in on angst, but it does have its good points.

Yeah well that's cuz Cornell is a lot better than what's his face. Now run and hide before faggot giraffe tries to castrate you for not sharing the same opinion.

seriously lady do you flick the bean to pics of yourself or something? when did i ever try to shutdown anyone who had a valid opinon? you're entitled to your own as well.............i just find it odd that some have so little of an actual life that they get off on just trying to bully people around in the internet, but hey whatever gets you off..........

z0sa
12-19-2009, 02:25 PM
I'm not sure Zack's lyrics should be compared to Dylan or anyone of the sort - his mission is not similar. I just think most people see RATM exactly as some here described them, encompassing proverbial 14 yr olds with anarchy shirts and I don't think that's what they wanted or even the fanbase Zack wanted. it's just like I said: most people jam RATM without actually trying to decipher what he's talking about.. that doesn't mean anyone in this thread did that, just saying.

I think the one post about him 'repeating himself' makes a misjudgment, because he's repeating himself for a reason. I've read interviews where he was disappointed with the fanbase, with their very lack of that understanding - the counterpoint is that there's nothing fantastically deep to his lyrics, but maybe that's the whole problem (or reason).

iggypop123
12-19-2009, 05:15 PM
power is omnipresent. they were just trying to escape that network and... actually i dont know what im saying but they make good music

panic giraffe
12-19-2009, 05:56 PM
power is omnipresent. they were just trying to escape that network and... actually i dont know what im saying but they make good music

MDMA is a hell of a drug.

Greg Oden
12-19-2009, 06:29 PM
so true. but if i never heard them when i was a kid i would have never been turned on to artist that actually practice what they preach. like crass, rudimentry peni, conflict, aus rotten, immortal technique, well you get the idea. plus i probably wouldn't have heard of mumia abu jamal or leonard peltier until i hit college if it wasn't for them. so they maybe just cashing in on angst, but it does have its good points.

seriously lady do you flick the bean to pics of yourself or something? when did i ever try to shutdown anyone who had a valid opinon? you're entitled to your own as well.............i just find it odd that some have so little of an actual life that they get off on just trying to bully people around in the internet, but hey whatever gets you off..........
http://images.starcraftmazter.net/4chan/for_forums/butthurt2.jpg

Get over it, you whiney faggot.