PDA

View Full Version : Yao Ming targets next season for NBA return

duncan228
12-18-2009, 01:44 AM
Yao Ming targets next season for NBA return (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-yaoming&prov=ap&type=lgns)

Yao Ming says he is recovering well after foot surgery and hopes to return to the NBA by next season.

“I’m definitely recovering and the recent results of my checkups allowed me to make this long trip back to Shanghai from the U.S.,” Yao said Friday at the launch of a shark conservation project.

“I might be completely recovered by next season, but so far I don’t know exactly what day it starts. The game schedule hasn’t come out yet.”

The 2.29-meter (7-foot-6) Houston Rockets center has said he wants to allow enough time for his bones to fully heal following the operation to repair a hairline fracture in his left foot suffered in a May 8 playoff against the Los Angeles Lakers.

The seriousness of the injury had raised doubts, especially in his native China, about Yao’s playing future.

Yao was in Shanghai to support the launch of a new public service advertisement by the San Francisco-based conservation group WildAid on protecting sharks, which are threatened by overfishing and other destructive practices.

Yao has been a spokesman since 2006 for WildAid on protecting sharks—which have a special place in his career as owner of the Shanghai Sharks, for whom he played from 1997-2002 before departing for the NBA.

Earlier this year Yao became the sole owner of the financially troubled team, which has struggled to make the playoffs since he left.

HarlemHeat37
12-18-2009, 02:00 AM
Class act, hope he can finally get it together..it would have been interesting to see what would have happened had he continued the series vs. LA..

ezau
12-18-2009, 02:13 AM
Yao will go down as the one of the biggest "what ifs" in NBA histpory

Danny.Zhu
12-18-2009, 03:49 AM
China's domestic basketball league is ready to kick off this Saturday in Shanghai. Yao Ming will also be there as the boss.

Allanon
12-18-2009, 08:56 AM
I like Yao as a person and a player. Too bad about his injuries.