PDA

View Full Version : cheap standing rib roast...

CosmicCowboy
12-18-2009, 09:29 AM
For you hard core meat smokers out there...Sun Harvest at I10 and Callaghan has bone in standing rib roasts for $5.99 a pound...I just picked up a 12# center cut there last night for Christmas and am thinking about going back for another one for the freezer. That is CHEAP...they are usually around $10 a pound...marbling was excellent...for those that don't know that cut is commonly known as "prime rib" when cooked as a roast and "rib eye steak" when sliced and cooked as a steak.

Dr. Gonzo
12-18-2009, 09:34 AM
haha meat smoker

clambake
12-18-2009, 09:58 AM
lets go cowboy.

what kind of wood?
at what temperature?
how long?
are you saying you picked out a 12 pounder?

Dr. Gonzo
12-18-2009, 10:01 AM

ha

CosmicCowboy
12-18-2009, 10:08 AM
lets go cowboy.

what kind of wood?
at what temperature?
how long?

what kind of wood?

Mesquite

at what temperature?

how long?

About 5 hours or until internal temp of 135 for medium rare.

Yes. the total packer piece was 18#. I had them cut my 12# right out of the center where it would be symmetrical and cook evenly (not smaller on one end) and they put the "tails" they cut off on the meat counter to sell to others that wanted a smaller amount.

any other questions?...:p:

BacktoBasics
12-18-2009, 10:34 AM
I was planning on doing a prime rib rack this Christmas. That's a pretty good price I've been seeing 12.99 a pound around these parts.

clambake
12-18-2009, 10:49 AM
do you use a thermometer while it cooks, or just a quick read thermometer?

BacktoBasics
12-18-2009, 10:59 AM
do you use a thermometer while it cooks, or just a quick read thermometer?
I use a cheap silver one that I bought from HEB.

I've been wanting one of those cool digital ones so I don't have to pop the top of the pit. Just haven't picked one up yet.

CosmicCowboy
12-18-2009, 11:10 AM
I use a remote digital. You can get a god one at a restaurant supply for about $20. I'm good enough at grilling steaks that I don't need a thermometer to judge level of done (Rare, MR, Medium etc.) but EVERYTHING on the pit cooks by temperature.

clambake
12-18-2009, 11:42 AM
is that medium rare at 135?

CosmicCowboy
12-18-2009, 11:54 AM
is that medium rare at 135?

Medium rare is usually 140-145 but you have to remember that the internal temp on a big piece of meat will continue to rise after you pull it off and let it rest. Rule of thumb is as much as 10 degrees so if you pull it off at 135 you should hit it right in the sweet spot.

Al Koholik
12-18-2009, 11:55 AM
Is this an invitation you sonofabitch?

I like my steak well done. I want to chew leather damn it!

clambake
12-18-2009, 11:58 AM
Medium rare is usually 140-145 but you have to remember that the internal temp on a big piece of meat will continue to rise after you pull it off and let it rest. Rule of thumb is as much as 10 degrees so if you pull it off at 135 you should hit it right in the sweet spot.

i'm doin this. i went to gelsons yesterday and saw them prepping them. no way i'll be able to get your price, however.

5 hours is much more manageable.

just salt and pepper?

CosmicCowboy
12-18-2009, 12:00 PM
What I like to do is slow smoke it to a little on the rare side of medium rare and let it rest. Then slice it and take "orders" for how they like theirs...I then put a cast iron griddle in the gas grill and turn all the burners on high. Then take the slices and blacken them with a spice rub on the cast iron griddle to the desired level of doneness...just a quick sear for medium rare, a little more blackening for medium. If they want it cooked more than that I tell them they can wait till I'm finished and use my pit to do it themselves because I'm not going to ruin a god piece of meat.

BacktoBasics
12-18-2009, 12:05 PM
Whatever you do once you hit the 135 let it at least rest for 20 minutes if not 30. Just tent a piece of foil over it and don't touch it.

clambake
12-18-2009, 12:06 PM
thats a great idea. i saw nice cast iron pan at williams-sonoma yesterday while christmas shopping. i shoulda bought it. i've never had one.

Al Koholik
12-18-2009, 12:08 PM
Is there going to be beverages at this shindig?

CosmicCowboy
12-18-2009, 12:09 PM
i'm doin this. i went to gelsons yesterday and saw them prepping them. no way i'll be able to get your price, however.

5 hours is much more manageable.

just salt and pepper?

you can just do a salt and pepper rub, but I do mine similar to how I do my briskets...the dry rub is basically spices and brown sugar ( I use a commercial bought rub)

I coat the piece of meat with worchestershire sauce and then apply the dry rub to make a thick paste...it drys to a great smokey spicy sweet crust...

CosmicCowboy
12-18-2009, 12:16 PM
thats a great idea. i saw nice cast iron pan at williams-sonoma yesterday while christmas shopping. i shoulda bought it. i've never had one.

Williams-Sonoma? Sheeeeeut. if you want good cast iron cookware just go to Academy and buy the Lodge brand.

CosmicCowboy
12-18-2009, 12:18 PM
Is there going to be beverages at this shindig?

Are you kidding? Beverages and BBQ are inseparable.

clambake
12-18-2009, 12:19 PM
Williams-Sonoma? Sheeeeeut. if you want good cast iron cookware just go to Academy and buy the Lodge brand.

i've never heard of that place.

i'm in southern california.

Al Koholik
12-18-2009, 12:20 PM
Are you kidding? Beverages and BBQ are inseparable.

Well then I'm in muthafugger. What time do you want me there?

z0sa
12-18-2009, 12:23 PM
Meatsmokers are so hardcore.

CosmicCowboy
12-18-2009, 12:25 PM
i've never heard of that place.

i'm in southern california.

Sorry. This is the stuff you want...they are the original and best and lots cheaper than that hoity-toity french shit william-sonoma sells...

http://www.lodgemfg.com/

you should be able to find a dealer somewhere in so-cal

Al Koholik
12-18-2009, 12:26 PM
Meatsmokers are so hardcore.

They just need the right wood.

CosmicCowboy
12-18-2009, 12:27 PM
This is the griddle I use on my gas grill...

https://secure.lodgemfg.com/storefront/product1_new.asp?menu=logic&idProduct=3943

clambake
12-18-2009, 12:52 PM
This is the griddle I use on my gas grill...

https://secure.lodgemfg.com/storefront/product1_new.asp?menu=logic&idProduct=3943

thanks for the tips. i'll look for a dealer.

peewee's lovechild
12-18-2009, 12:58 PM
If they want it cooked more than that I tell them they can wait till I'm finished and use my pit to do it themselves because I'm not going to ruin a god piece of meat.

Amen to that!

CosmicCowboy
12-18-2009, 01:02 PM
Hey B2B...I'm trying something new...while I'm smoking the prime rib I'm also doing about 25# of Canadian Bacon for family Christmas presents...I'll let you know if it turns out good...

I recently found choice cryovac pork loins on sale at HEB for $1 a pound and loaded the freezer. I took three and cut them into thirds making nine 2 1/2# to 3# pieces...trimmed all the fat and coated with a cure rub...for 25# I used...

2 cups kosher salt
1 cup steak seasoning (similar to montreal)
1 cup natural granulated sugar
2 tsp. curing salt (sodium nitrite)

That's a lot lower nitrite levels than commercial meat processors use but theoretically enough to prevent botulism. I'll probably give a little of the first batch to a homeless guy and watch him from a distance for an hour or so LOL.

I put them in big ziplocks and into the fridge last Wednesday for curing. I flip them every night. I'll pull them out next Tuesday and rinse them several times with water to wash off the salt, Re-season them with sugar, pepper, and steak seasoning and then back into the fridge till I smoke them Thursday to 160 degrees. Rest and shrink wrap.

I'm kind of excited about this one...I was buying cold cuts to make panini last night and did the math on the packaged Canadian Bacon they were selling at the deli...they were getting $20 a pound...

BacktoBasics
12-18-2009, 01:13 PM
Sounds interesting. With it being cured have you thought about under cooking it a bit? Say 150?

CosmicCowboy
12-18-2009, 01:26 PM
Sounds interesting. With it being cured have you thought about under cooking it a bit? Say 150?

Well, I may pull them off at 155 to rest but I really want them to hit 160 since I'm giving them away...they might just grab them out of the refrigerator and start eating on them and I want to make sure they are 100% cooked and safe when they leave with them.

Sportcamper
12-18-2009, 02:06 PM
Smoked Prime...

Similar option for smokers…Dry rub the roast just like a brisket but add fresh rosemary…(Go light on the salt)…Let sit in the refrigerator for a couple days…Stab in chunks of garlic a couple inches into the meat before smoking….Smoke with apple chips…The untrimmed bone in roast may need up to 9 hours…Take off at 130 to 140 degrees….Have a huge pan of au jus simmering…You can then serve well & well done slices by placing them in the au jus for a couple minutes…

CosmicCowboy
12-18-2009, 07:10 PM
Oh man...I just hooked up with a source today for 3-4# beef tenderloins de-silver skinned and trimmed for 4.50 a pound anytime I want them. they are a restaurant supplier and a customer of mine.

I may have just cooked my last brisket. :lol