PDA

View Full Version : I'm a Computer Moron and need your help.

monosylab1k
12-18-2009, 11:52 AM
My CD/DVD drive won't read DVD's. It reads CD's just fine. But whenever I put in a DVD, the drive kinda hums for a second like it's doing something, then does nothing. It won't recognize that a DVD is even in there.

I really don't know crap about computers other than the basics, so any help would be appreciated. My computer has Windows Vista, which is probably my first problem, but let me know. Thanks, I love you all.

TDMVPDPOY
12-18-2009, 12:07 PM
hey man u sure that rom drive is dvd rom also?

try checking the plugs, remove and reset the plug...install drivers

or look for new one....

Al Koholik
12-18-2009, 12:31 PM
You fuggin assholes with your computers.

leemajors
12-18-2009, 02:20 PM
My CD/DVD drive won't read DVD's. It reads CD's just fine. But whenever I put in a DVD, the drive kinda hums for a second like it's doing something, then does nothing. It won't recognize that a DVD is even in there.

I really don't know crap about computers other than the basics, so any help would be appreciated. My computer has Windows Vista, which is probably my first problem, but let me know. Thanks, I love you all.
Laptop or Desktop?

XMas TRoLL
12-18-2009, 03:03 PM
The humming sound usually is the ROM trying to match the speed of the disc.
If it hums and doesn't read it could be the speed of the dvd. check your ROM see if it says 16X or 32X if your disc was recorded on 48 X and you have a 32X speed ROM it may not show up. find another disc recorded in a slower speed.
test it out. And when you buy blank discs try and make sure they have the same umber as the rom 52X etc....I tossed out may discs in the past thinking they was corrupted.

PM5K
12-18-2009, 04:38 PM
The humming sound usually is the ROM trying to match the speed of the disc.
If it hums and doesn't read it could be the speed of the dvd. check your ROM see if it says 16X or 32X if your disc was recorded on 48 X and you have a 32X speed ROM it may not show up. find another disc recorded in a slower speed.
test it out. And when you buy blank discs try and make sure they have the same umber as the rom 52X etc....I tossed out may discs in the past thinking they was corrupted.

You don't know what the fuck you are talking about.

Having said that, if you've been able to read DVD's in the past without issues, you might want to try cleaning the lens.

monosylab1k
12-18-2009, 06:25 PM
Laptop or Desktop?

it's a desktop.

monosylab1k
12-18-2009, 06:26 PM
And yeah it's recognized DVD's in the past. I've never tried playing a burned DVD, just standard DVD's like It's Always Sunny In Philadephia and such.

Cry Havoc
12-18-2009, 07:16 PM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136177

You're welcome.

ElNono
12-18-2009, 09:40 PM

You're welcome.

I second this. Probably the lens are out of whack, but it's not worth fixing these things at the price they sell for these days.
Just buy a new one and swap it in. You're probably going to get a faster drive to boot.

monosylab1k
12-18-2009, 11:31 PM

You're welcome.

:tu win

Bender
12-18-2009, 11:41 PM
great deal, I may pick one up too.

was thinking about waiting a little while, and getting a blu-ray burner though. except the discs are damn expensive.

koriwhat
12-19-2009, 12:50 AM
here's what you do...

disable windows burning! there's a conflict with permissions.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/disable-windows-vistas-built-in-cddvd-burning-features/

you can thank me later.

i had the same problem at work yesterday and all fixed now.

koriwhat
12-19-2009, 12:51 AM

You're welcome.

oh so you're going to suggest buying new hardware? how savvy of you mr know-it-all.

Cry Havoc
12-19-2009, 02:07 AM
oh so you're going to suggest buying new hardware? how savvy of you mr know-it-all.

Yes, because buying a $30 DVD burner is equivalent to replacing an $80 internal hard drive that's full of data. :rolleyes

Cry Havoc
12-19-2009, 02:09 AM
here's what you do...

disable windows burning! there's a conflict with permissions.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/disable-windows-vistas-built-in-cddvd-burning-features/

you can thank me later.

i had the same problem at work yesterday and all fixed now.

Your troubleshoot is fail.

koriwhat
12-19-2009, 03:02 AM
Yes, because buying a $30 DVD burner is equivalent to replacing an $80 internal hard drive that's full of data. :rolleyes

you missed the point dipshit! don't try calling others out for suggesting to buy this or that and then do the same shit a month or so down the line. hypocrite bitch!

koriwhat
12-19-2009, 03:03 AM
Your troubleshoot is fail.

you're just a punkass. nothing more, nothing less. go get your willy wet playing some gay ass mmorpgfagassbullshitqueer game.

XMas TRoLL
12-19-2009, 04:06 AM
You don't know what the fuck you are talking about.

At least I don't look like Ricky Ricardo.

Having said that,
You mean having shown everyone your a dick head.

if you've been able to read DVD's in the past without issues, you might want to try cleaning the lens.

Since your such cool geek kinda fella that knows so much I challenge you to show up at the next ST gtg I will bring a disc burned at 52X speed and you bring a laptop with a 48 X speed Rom and if it plays I will give you 100.00 cash if it doesn't play you get to suck on my huge TRoll cock.

wait why would I reward you for being wrong?...Having said that, so are you going to take your balls out of Lucy's purse and bring your Ricky Ricardo looking best buy expert ass to the next gtg?

XMas TRoLL
12-19-2009, 04:23 AM
http://www.americal.com/pg/cd-r-faq.html

Today's fastest write-speeds are usually 48X, but 52X rated discs are also available. Today's fastest rated discs can burn at up to 52x speeds on 52x capable writers.
In order to burn at a given speed, your CD burner must be able to work at that speed. Placing a 52X disc in a 32X speed Rom will almost cause malfunctions.

In his original post he never mentioned the ROM played perfectly before so stick that radio shack pocket protector up your crusty self owned ass!

PM5K
12-19-2009, 03:27 PM
Since your such cool geek kinda fella that knows so much I challenge you to show up at the next ST gtg I will bring a disc burned at 52X speed and you bring a laptop with a 48 X speed Rom and if it plays I will give you 100.00 cash if it doesn't play you get to suck on my huge TRoll cock.

You'd be out 100.00 because it just doesn't work that way.

As to the OP, if it won't read an original DVD that it has read before you should replace it, however if it does you likely have some other issue such as a bad burn, or media incompatibility.

XMas TRoLL
12-19-2009, 04:26 PM
You'd be out 100.00 because it just doesn't work that way.

Is that a yes?

PM5K
12-19-2009, 04:38 PM
Is what a yes? It just doesn't work that way.

A 32X drive will read a 52X disk perfectly fine, it just won't read it at 52X, it will read it at 32X.

As far as burning, a 32X drive would burn a 52X CD fine it just wouldn't do it at 52X it would do it at 32X.

Please tell me this isn't a Mouse troll. I always thought you were reasonably computer literate.

XMas TRoLL
12-19-2009, 07:32 PM
So then you have no problem bringing the laptop to the next gtg? I will bring a disc burned at 52X prove me wrong.

XMas TRoLL
12-20-2009, 12:29 PM
you missed the point dipshit! don't try calling others out for suggesting to buy this or that and then do the same shit a month or so down the line. hypocrite bitch!

If your not busy I would like to the see the quotes or the topics of these guys saying one thing and now another.

Thanks! :tu

koriwhat
12-20-2009, 02:55 PM
If your not busy I would like to the see the quotes or the topics of these guys saying one thing and now another.

Thanks! :tu

im not interested in searching for that crap. sorry.

Ricardo Romo
12-20-2009, 04:01 PM
I remember back in the day reading where some posters said you was full of crap and then you proved them wrong. Unless I have it the other way around. Maybe the topic will surface one day.

Cry Havoc
12-20-2009, 06:34 PM
you're just a punkass. nothing more, nothing less. go get your willy wet playing some gay ass mmorpgfagassbullshitqueer game.

And you're an idiot and you don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

Replacing a hard drive and a DVD drive are not the same thing at all.

It's like yelling at someone for suggesting a person replace the air filter in a car because they disagreed with your idea that they needed a new engine block.

You never ever even try to help people in this forum, you just give others shit and make horrible suggestions.

Get lost. :tu

mardigan
12-20-2009, 07:50 PM

leemajors
12-21-2009, 03:24 AM
And you're an idiot and you don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

Replacing a hard drive and a DVD drive are not the same thing at all.

It's like yelling at someone for suggesting a person replace the air filter in a car because they disagreed with your idea that they needed a new engine block.

You never ever even try to help people in this forum, you just give others shit and make horrible suggestions.

Get lost. :tu

how is hot swapping components that much different? I see what you are implying, but it's the same shit. Power and one other cable

Blue Jew
12-21-2009, 07:14 AM
I have a few CDs burned at 52X that won't show up as data on an older desktop that only has a 32X CD Rom. If I was PM5K I would not show up at that gtg unless he really just wants to suck Xmas Troll's cock, in that case carry on.... :tu

ElNono
12-21-2009, 07:36 AM
I have a few CDs burned at 52X that won't show up as data on an older desktop that only has a 32X CD Rom. If I was PM5K I would not show up at that gtg unless he really just wants to suck Xmas Troll's cock, in that case carry on.... :tu

That has nothing to do with the burn speed, but most likely with the reflectivity index of the material the CD is made of (What's normally called media-compatibility). Over the years, it has changed, and drives have changed to accommodate cheaper, but less reflective surfaces. Again, that has absolutely nothing to do with burn speeds. PM5K was spot-on in his original comment.

Cry Havoc
12-21-2009, 09:48 AM
how is hot swapping components that much different? I see what you are implying, but it's the same shit. Power and one other cable

Because you don't have to spend hours/days backing up the data on a DVD player, especially considering the limited knowledge of the OP.

Also because a DVD player is $30. Much cheaper than a hard drive.

XMas TRoLL
12-21-2009, 12:11 PM
That has nothing to do with the burn speed, but most likely with the reflectivity index of the material the CD is made of (What's normally called media-compatibility). Over the years, it has changed, and drives have changed to accommodate cheaper, but less reflective surfaces. Again, that has absolutely nothing to do with burn speeds. PM5K was spot-on in his original comment.

Looks like I will have two posters now sucking my huge TRoll cock at the next gtg!

http://www.oggfrog.com/howto/cds-wont-play/

Did You Burn Too Fast?

Each brand of CD-R media is certified for a maximum burning speed, expressed as a multiple of the standard audio playback speed; thus, a "52x" CD-R can be reliably burned while spinning up to fifty-two times faster than an audio CD spins while playing. If you burn it faster than the rated speed of the CD ROM the audio data won't be reliably written to the disc. This may cause the player to skip erratically through the disc, or to play up to a certain point and then stop.

Well-engineered burning software won't burn a CD faster than its rated speed, but not all burning software is well-engineered! Unfortunately, some programs that I've tried default to burning "as fast as possible", that is, as fast as the burner's mechanism will spin, which may be faster than the media is certified for.

Unless you really are in some kind of hurry, you're better off burning at less than the maximum rated speed, because that will give you some safety margin to guard against failure due to manufacturing defects in your burner or the disc.

PM5K
12-21-2009, 12:56 PM
If you burn it faster than the rated speed of the CD ROM the audio data won't be reliably written to the disc. This may cause the player to skip erratically through the disc, or to play up to a certain point and then stop.

That doesn't support your argument at all idiot.

Read what it says, it says that if you use a 32X drive and try to burn at 36X it won't work well.

No shit captain obvious.

ElNono
12-21-2009, 12:56 PM
:blah

You just don't know much about this. I suggest you start reading about Zoned Constant Angular Velocity (ZCAV), Cross Interleaved Reed-Solomon coding (CIRC), Cyanine dye, Phthalocyanine dye and Azo dye.

Cry Havoc
12-21-2009, 01:24 PM
Looks like I will have two posters now sucking my huge TRoll cock at the next gtg!

http://www.oggfrog.com/howto/cds-wont-play/

Did You Burn Too Fast?

Each brand of CD-R media is certified for a maximum burning speed, expressed as a multiple of the standard audio playback speed; thus, a "52x" CD-R can be reliably burned while spinning up to fifty-two times faster than an audio CD spins while playing. If you burn it faster than the rated speed of the CD ROM the audio data won't be reliably written to the disc. This may cause the player to skip erratically through the disc, or to play up to a certain point and then stop.

Well-engineered burning software won't burn a CD faster than its rated speed, but not all burning software is well-engineered! Unfortunately, some programs that I've tried default to burning "as fast as possible", that is, as fast as the burner's mechanism will spin, which may be faster than the media is certified for.

Unless you really are in some kind of hurry, you're better off burning at less than the maximum rated speed, because that will give you some safety margin to guard against failure due to manufacturing defects in your burner or the disc.

Proof that just because you can google something doesn't give you an understanding of how the "googled" subject really works.

Also proof that knowledge >>>>>> google if you don't know WTF you're talking about.

XMas TRoLL
12-21-2009, 04:58 PM
Proof that just because you can google something doesn't give you an understanding of how the "googled" subject really works.

Also proof that knowledge >>>>>> google if you don't know WTF you're talking about.

99% of everything you and your (soon to be sucking my huge cock friends) in this forum is from Google. Now you want to change the rules?

why don't you buy some chap stick and meet me at the next GTG bring your 32X CD rom laptop I will bring my 52X burned DVD lets see what happens?

You wannabe geek squaders talk a good game but fail in proving your point.

If I am wrong you get the cash, if you are wrong you get a big reward my huge green TROll cock.

Merry Xmas see you at Kori's :tu

Charlie-In-The-Box
12-21-2009, 05:14 PM
I don't believe in snitching on other trolls but I met Xmas Troll at a spurs talk gtg two years ago and I can assure you it's not Mouse. In fact Xmas Troll is really cool in person and loves to fuck with people if you go in the classics forum you can see him and mouse doing some funny shit together.

I do know Mouse offered his photo bucket account to myself and about 5 other posters so you can't always go by where the sigs or avatars are hosted, even Duncan228 uses his photo bucket and I know you don't think she is Mouse.

Anyway just wanted to chime in after I saw how he was getting under your skins, carry on happy holidays and keep feeding the Trolls.

:toast

koriwhat
12-21-2009, 05:19 PM
Because you don't have to spend hours/days backing up the data on a DVD player, especially considering the limited knowledge of the OP.

Also because a DVD player is $30. Much cheaper than a hard drive.

hey i can go out and buy a HD for $30. so what's the difference here again?

i suggested buying new "hardware" and so did you. not a damn difference between the two.

and in this day and age your analogy is way the fuck off with the whole car bit.

Charlie-In-The-Box
12-21-2009, 05:23 PM
Koriwhat I have a hard drive that crashed can you get back the data? Am I screwed?

DizzG.
12-21-2009, 11:47 PM
Dude that Xmas Troll guy used to post at SpursReport a lot! But his name was Zombie I think.

phyzik
12-22-2009, 02:54 AM
Koriwhat I have a hard drive that crashed can you get back the data? Am I screwed?

Im thinking this is a joke post by Mouse, I've been drinking for the past 6 hours, but just in case you are serious.....

Put the drive in a static free bag, stick it in the freezer for a few hours, then try and hook it up as a slave drive right out of the freezer. If you cant get data off of it, you are screwed unless you want to spend something like $6000.00 for data recovery. It cost something like $500 just to see if it is recoverable, regardless if they can or not you are out the $500 or so just for them checking.

Charlie-In-The-Box
12-22-2009, 01:47 PM
PhyZix that must be some really good booze you have because I am not moue in fact there are pictures of me in the classic forum.

I will do as you say and let you know if it worked! :tu

XMas TRoLL
12-22-2009, 01:55 PM
Charlie your an asshole, I thought we was cool? Everyone knows number one rule is never give up someones troll! I had these guys going now they will just ignore me nice going douche bag! :bang

Cry Havoc
12-22-2009, 02:00 PM
hey i can go out and buy a HD for $30. so what's the difference here again?

i suggested buying new "hardware" and so did you. not a damn difference between the two.

and in this day and age your analogy is way the fuck off with the whole car bit.

There's a huge difference. Way to not mention the fact that a hard drive needs to be backed up. To say nothing of the fact that with a new hard drive it's necessary to install an operating system, which adds another 2 hours minimum, more when you consider having to reinstall commonly used programs.

So yeah, the physical operation of installing a DVD drive and a hard drive are going to be similar. But you can throw a new DVD in a computer and be running in 10 minutes or less. Not the same situation at all with a new hard drive.

koriwhat
12-22-2009, 02:48 PM
There's a huge difference. Way to not mention the fact that a hard drive needs to be backed up. To say nothing of the fact that with a new hard drive it's necessary to install an operating system, which adds another 2 hours minimum, more when you consider having to reinstall commonly used programs.

So yeah, the physical operation of installing a DVD drive and a hard drive are going to be similar. But you can throw a new DVD in a computer and be running in 10 minutes or less. Not the same situation at all with a new hard drive.

yeah yeah keep trying to fill the pot holes you're creating... just remember de la soul is gonna blow those pot holes wide open again!

your game is weak!

Suns Fan
12-22-2009, 03:56 PM
:lol Koriwhat is on fire today!

sabar
12-23-2009, 01:55 AM
Buying a new cd/dvd rom is always the way to go. You can spend an eternity cleaning lenses and screwing up gear trains for nothing. I have a bunch of cheap dvd drives that don't read dvds anymore. You get what you pay for.

Anyways, replacing a dvd-rom is a lot easier than a hard drive, and a lot cheaper. You also don't lose data, programs, OSes, etc.

XMas TRoLL
12-23-2009, 04:01 AM
I may have been wrong on the CD/DVD burning speed debate. For years now I have had DVDs that play on one PC but won't play on another PC.

I would hear the DVD burner whizzing fast and slow, so I asked a buddy of mine he said the noise is from the ROM trying to build up speed to read the disc.

Kinda like when you have a 48X CD and you slow it down to 8X so you can make sure it plays on your DVD player and you hear that strange noise when the DVD rom slows down,

My DVD player in the bedroom won't play Data DVDs unless I slow down the speed. I know your going to tell me that is not true so feel free to come over and see. We will burn two movies one at 32X and one at 8X maybe I have a jacked up DVD player.

Anyway back to my point I want to apologize to anyone if I made you upset with my stubborn smack talk.

Many of you here bring it upon yourselves when you disagree with some one you start your post off by saying.."Shut the fuck up you have no fucking idea what your talking about"

now how are we supposed to reply to that? By the time I see that I really don't care who is right or wrong I want to fight back. So in the future try an be an adult and say "I have to disagree I know for a fact the DVD burning speed has nothing to do with it playing on a slower ROM"

And you may be surprised to find out the person who is wrong may agree with you.

Either way Merry Xmas to all and Phyzix stick that FTP server right up your redneck NASA loving ass! :toast

PM5K
12-23-2009, 01:49 PM
Sounds about right.

Susan Boyle
12-31-2009, 03:52 PM

You can bring me your HD I will recover the data, you have to first purchase the same exact HD in case i have to remove the platter.