PDA

View Full Version : Why do you people still live in Califronia?

peewee's lovechild
12-18-2009, 12:48 PM
California Apartments Evacuated As Cliff Erodes

(CNN) -- Tenants of apartments in Pacifica, California, were under evacuation Thursday after erosion threatened the cliff on which their building sits, a city official said.

Authorities have been watching the seaside building for years and were waiting for the erosion to reach a 12-foot safety zone behind it, said Doug Rider, a building official for Pacifica. The problem has reached that zone, he said, so officials notified the building's management and tenants began evacuating.

The building is stable, so tenants are able to remove belongings from the apartments, Rider said. Police, fire and other local authorities are assisting residents, along with the city's Building Department, he said.

All residents of the 12-unit building must be out by 5 p.m. PT Thursday, he told CNN affiliate KGO-TV in San Francisco, California.

KGO reported a large chunk of land fell from the cliff into the Pacific Ocean about 5:30 a.m. PT Thursday.

Two nearby buildings also face questions about their structural reliability but are not being evacuated, the station reported.

Pacifica is about 15 miles southwest of San Francisco.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/12/17/apartments.erosion/index.html

z0sa
12-18-2009, 12:50 PM
the same reasons you said you were done with this place and yet came crawling back

:downspin:

peewee's lovechild
12-18-2009, 12:54 PM
the same reasons you said you were done with this place and yet came crawling back

:downspin:

There's a giant cliff somewhere on the internets?

Cyrano
12-18-2009, 01:00 PM
I dunno about giant, but it took about two seconds to find a very LARGE Cliff on the internets.....

http://www.cheersboston.com/pub/images/fans_cliff.jpg

peewee's lovechild
12-18-2009, 01:02 PM
Hahahaha

CuckingFunt
12-18-2009, 01:15 PM
Because for one thing, not all of California is an eroding seaside cliff in Pacifica. And for another, have you ever seen Pacifica?

peewee's lovechild
12-18-2009, 01:18 PM
Because for one thing, not all of California is an eroding seaside cliff in Pacifica. And for another, have you ever seen Pacifica?

No, but I've seen news coverage of earthquakes, wild fires, droughts, subsidence, and now cliff erosion.

Plus, in 2012, all you guys are going to die . . . or so says Roland Emmerich.

But, seriously, it makes it hard to empathize. Just like those constantly rebuilding on the Florida coast and tornado alley.

clambake
12-18-2009, 01:20 PM

:tu

CuckingFunt
12-18-2009, 01:23 PM
No, but I've seen news coverage of earthquakes, wild fires, droughts, subsidence, and now cliff erosion.

Plus, in 2012, all you guys are going to die . . . or so says Roland Emmerich.

But, seriously, it makes it hard to empathize. Just like those constantly rebuilding on the Florida coast and tornado alley.

Every state/region has its own little quirks that its residents learn to deal with.

Yeah, there are earthquakes and wild fires and all that stuff, but as a lifelong Californian (almost), I can't imagine how anyone finds that less desirable than tornadoes or hurricanes or extreme weather.

CosmicCowboy
12-18-2009, 01:38 PM
I usually kill a half dozen rattlesnakes every year. I'm sure someone somewhere thinks I'm nuts for living in South Texas.

IronMexican
12-18-2009, 01:53 PM
Only thing that sucks about here is the wild fire ashes reach us.

MannyIsGod
12-18-2009, 02:00 PM
You've obviously never seen the central California coast. Its an amazing area.

panic giraffe
12-18-2009, 02:58 PM
I usually kill a half dozen rattlesnakes every year. I'm sure someone somewhere thinks I'm nuts for living in South Texas.

i've never seen a rattlesnake.......do you live on a ranch or something?

Mulchie
12-18-2009, 03:02 PM
Only thing that sucks about here is the wild fire ashes reach us.

That can happen anywhere.

CosmicCowboy
12-18-2009, 03:13 PM
i've never seen a rattlesnake.......do you live on a ranch or something?

I live in SA but have a little place about 45 minutes south of SA.

panic giraffe
12-18-2009, 03:18 PM

thats crazy. i live in sa, and have never seen a rattlesnake, scorpion, chubracabra, or any shit like that. but i don't and have never lived in a newly developed area.

i thought armadillos were a myth like the jackalope until i saw one dead on the highway.

i've always thought that south texas' little weather "quirk" was the flash flood thing....

peewee's lovechild
12-18-2009, 03:21 PM
thats crazy. i live in sa, and have never seen a rattlesnake, scorpion, chubracabra, or any shit like that. but i don't and have never lived in a newly developed area.

i thought armadillos were a myth like the jackalope until i saw one dead on the highway.

i've always thought that south texas' little weather "quirk" was the flash flood thing....

I found and killed a scorpion in my daughter's room last week. I told the apartment manager that I wanted the entire apartment drenched in poison.

Are scorpions poisonous here in SA?

CosmicCowboy
12-18-2009, 03:38 PM
I found and killed a scorpion in my daughter's room last week. I told the apartment manager that I wanted the entire apartment drenched in poison.

Are scorpions poisonous here in SA?

They typically aren't deadly poisonous but it sure hurts like hell when they sting you. I've been popped a couple of times. If you have found a scorpion in your apartment be sure to "knock out your shoes" before putting them on, shake out folded clothes etc...don't leave any clothes on the floor. If you had one you've got more.

peewee's lovechild
12-18-2009, 03:43 PM
They typically aren't deadly poisonous but it sure hurts like hell when they sting you. I've been popped a couple of times. If you have found a scorpion in your apartment be sure to "knock out your shoes" before putting them on, shake out folded clothes etc...don't leave any clothes on the floor. If you had one you've got more.

Dude, that's a scary thought.

I'm gonna set my daughter's room on fire and cleanse the evil in it. That'll teach those scorpions from fucking with me.

Bender
12-18-2009, 04:39 PM
is it big enough to shoot guns on? a former acquaintance, who's family had 1200ac up around Blanco, moved away, and we used to drag our rifles up there and have some shootin' fun.

CosmicCowboy
12-18-2009, 04:52 PM
is it big enough to shoot guns on? a former acquaintance, who's family had 1200ac up around Blanco, moved away, and we used to drag our rifles up there and have some shootin' fun.

Oh, it's big enough to be safe but I kind of discourage rifle hunting there to keep it low impact...It's only 80 acres...I bow hunt there and will shot an occasional pig for the BBQ pit.

tlongII
12-18-2009, 04:56 PM
Oh, it's big enough to be safe but I kind of discourage rifle hunting there to keep it low impact...It's only 80 acres...I bow hunt there and will shot an occasional pig for the BBQ pit.

Got dam RICHER! :madrun

ORION
12-18-2009, 08:40 PM
They still live there because of Rubio's fish tacos. I could kill for a fish tacos from Rubio's

spurspf
12-18-2009, 08:57 PM

I was 12 when I got stung by a scorpion. Actually didn't hurt, my leg was paralysed for an hour though. Couldn't move it at all. Did I get taken to a hospital? No. My great grandmother rubbed salt on it.

Cant_Be_Faded
12-18-2009, 11:11 PM
learn to swim
see ya down in arizona bay

Bender
12-18-2009, 11:28 PM
not hunting, just target shooting. 100yds or so.

JoeChalupa
12-19-2009, 12:38 AM

I hear ya....

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y29/clintsquint/100_0453.jpg

holcs50
12-19-2009, 09:02 PM
^^^Holy shit thats nuts, snakes scare the hell out of me.

As to the OPs question, take today for instance. While lots of states are freezing balls, today it was 80 degrees in san diego, sunny and beautiful. I put on my wetsuit and went surfing for a few hours. Just one of thousands of reasons I continue living in california.

lil_penny
12-19-2009, 10:38 PM
learn to swim
see ya down in arizona bay

I was seriously going to write that lol

Greg Oden
12-19-2009, 10:53 PM
I hear ya....

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y29/clintsquint/100_0453.jpg

I'd shit my pants if I saw something like that. And then move away.

ashbeeigh
12-19-2009, 11:24 PM
And no one has yet to point out that California was spelled wrong?

And the fact that panic giraffe has no idea that CosmicCowboy is a richer shows that he needs to read on his Club history.

And we had a rattlesnake in our backyard a few years ago. It was nutso. This is off of 10 and De Zavala.

marini martini
12-20-2009, 01:11 AM
And no one has yet to point out that California was spelled wrong?

And the fact that panic giraffe has no idea that CosmicCowboy is a richer shows that he needs to read on his Club history.

And we had a rattlesnake in our backyard a few years ago. It was nutso. This is off of 10 and De Zavala.

And you forgot to mention Joe lives in a double wide!!!:toast

Sportcamper
12-20-2009, 11:37 AM
When it is 2 Am & the police hear a prowler…They call Joe Chalupa…..