PDA

View Full Version : Rock Hall of Fame has rocks in its head

duncan228
12-18-2009, 01:58 PM
Rock Hall of Fame has rocks in its head (http://soundcheck.freedomblogging.com/2009/12/15/rock-hall-of-fame-2010-stooges-finally-get-in-genesis-jimmy-cliff-too-abba-trumps-kiss/16549/)
Rock Hall of Fame 2010: Stooges finally get in … Genesis, Jimmy Cliff, too … ABBA trumps Kiss
by Ben Wener
The Orange County Register

http://soundcheck.freedomblogging.com/files/2009/12/abba.jpg

Really, Hall of Fame voters?

ABBA, that admittedly infectious but synthetic Swedish pop confection that nonetheless remains the very antithesis of rock ‘n’ roll, will get into your not-so-hallowed Hall ahead of Kiss, an equally internationally adored band that has been the masked face of primordial rock for decades?

Meanwhile, disco maven Donna Summer just has to wait her turn?

Really?!?

Graham Nash, the admittedly likable and noteworthy English singer-songwriter, will become a two-time Hall of Famer, now that the Hollies will be inducted come March — but Lou Reed isn’t the same, even though his prolific and profound body of solo work alone (never mind the Velvet Underground’s mold-shattering catalog, which has been honored) surpasses everything Nash has recorded combined, CSN&Y included?

Really?!?

Genesis is deservedly getting its due, 15 years after it should have first been considered — but Yes still hasn’t made it onto a ballot? Jimmy Cliff is finally getting noticed, that’s nice — but LL Cool J and Red Hot Chili Peppers, both of whom remain more relevant now, have to sit this one out?

Really?!?

God, the Hall of Fame has become such a joke. I used to think it could be salvaged. Now I think it’s hopeless.

But there they are, the not-entirely-unworthy Class of 2010: ABBA, the Hollies, Genesis, Cliff and, at long freakin’ last, the Stooges, who have been on and off ballots so many times since first being eligible 15 YEARS AGO it’s a wonder they haven’t disqualified themselves.

Here’s my real beef, as it always has been. I really have no problem with installing the likes of ABBA (an undeniable hit machine) or even the Hollies (who rival the Dave Clark Five as least remarkable honoree). But what gripes me is how many far more deserving candidates continue to be passed up, largely because the Hall of Fame, which used to induct as many as were deemed important and necessary per year, now firmly limits the number to five.

How is it logical that ABBA should get in but Hall & Oates, the biggest-selling duo of all-time and a name-checked influence on plenty of young pop performers, has yet to even be nominated? And the Hall’s strange trend lately of favoring the popular over the seminal is confounding: if Laura Nyro can’t get in, what hope is there for Tom Waits or Warren Zevon?

Want some more names of eligible acts who have been snubbed or simply overlooked?

The list is baffling and ever-growing: Rush, Journey, Janet Jackson, Tina Turner (solo), the Cars, Roxy Music, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Beastie Boys, Sonic Youth, the Smiths, Dire Straits, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Devo, the Replacements, the MC5, Donovan, the Moody Blues, Jethro Tull, King Crimson, Alice Cooper, the Cure, Joy Division, Kraftwerk, Little Feat, Love, the Steve Miller Band, the Monkees, New York Dolls, the Spinners, the B-52’s, Boston, Chic, Chicago, Joe Cocker, Dick Dale, Deep Purple, ELO, Heart and Blood, Sweat & Tears.

And now that we’ve entered the heyday of college-rock and the roots of Alternative Nation, there’s another wave of talent about to wash in. But I guarantee you Nirvana and Pearl Jam will get in before most of the names I just mentioned are even on a ballot.

So lame. Thank heavens Iggy Pop (below) finally gets to storm the place.

I hope he trashes the joint. Torches it, even.

http://soundcheck.freedomblogging.com/files/2009/12/iggy.jpg

Viva Las Espuelas
12-18-2009, 02:05 PM
I hope they play Fernando.

Evil Angel
12-18-2009, 02:06 PM
ABBA, :wtf:

Thunder Dan
12-18-2009, 02:10 PM
glad that shit is in New York this year. I hope we get Nirvana, Pearl Jam and Chili Peppers in 2011

peewee's lovechild
12-18-2009, 02:12 PM
ABBA?? Fucking ABBA?

Stevie isn't in and fucking ABBA gets in??

WTF?

Thunder Dan
12-18-2009, 02:14 PM
ABBA sucks, but the Rock Hall is pretty kick ass if you ever find yourself in Cleveland you should check it out. Pretty cool stuff in there

mrsmaalox
12-18-2009, 02:21 PM
ABBA isn't necessarily undeserving, the HOF needs to fix their induction requirements. And let more people in every year.

leemajors
12-18-2009, 02:24 PM
Maybe it just shouldn't exist.

peewee's lovechild
12-18-2009, 02:25 PM
ABBA isn't necessarily undeserving

Leave this thread and never come back.

mrsmaalox
12-18-2009, 02:30 PM
Leave this thread and never come back.

Fuck you. That's why I said they need to fix the requirements. Under the current requirements, apparently ABBA is deserving. Asshole.

peewee's lovechild
12-18-2009, 02:34 PM
Fuck you. That's why I said they need to fix the requirements. Under the current requirements, apparently ABBA is deserving. Asshole.

Get. The. Fuck. Out.

mrsmaalox
12-18-2009, 02:40 PM
Get. The. Fuck. Out.

:rolleyes

Greg Oden
12-18-2009, 02:41 PM
Boring.

When are the JoBros getting in?

mrsmaalox
12-18-2009, 02:42 PM
Boring.

When are the JoBros getting in?

Probably before SRV!

Greg Oden
12-18-2009, 02:44 PM
Deservedly.

panic giraffe
12-18-2009, 02:55 PM
DIAF!

you're opinion on rock isn't valid. at least i hope you're joking about stevie ray vaughn like that.

In10se
12-18-2009, 03:19 PM
I never understood the need people have to rate and rank everything. Music transcends that, it's so eclectic it can't be judged. What appeals to one ear won't to someone else's. I agree with the guy above who said it just shouldn't exist.

In10se
12-18-2009, 03:22 PM
WTF is rock and roll anyway? The writer scoffs abba but wants LL Cool J in? That's rap, not rock and roll. Just call it the world music hall of fame and get Julio Iglesias, Yanni, and Wham in too

mrsmaalox
I never understood the need people have to rate and rank everything. Music transcends that, it's so eclectic it can't be judged. What appeals to one ear won't to someone else's. I agree with the guy above who said it just shouldn't exist.

or open the doors and let everyone in!

In10se
And Menudo. Can't forget them.

In10se
12-18-2009, 03:24 PM

But then it's just a list of all musicians who sold an album.

Greg Oden
12-18-2009, 03:31 PM
DIAF!

you're opinion on rock isn't valid. at least i hope you're joking about stevie ray vaughn like that.

who the fuck are you?

peewee's lovechild
12-18-2009, 03:33 PM

Let's give everyone a trophy and celebrate mediocrity!!!

Yay!!

peewee's lovechild
12-18-2009, 03:33 PM
Dumbass.

Greg Oden
12-18-2009, 03:34 PM
Let's give everyone a trophy and celebrate mediocrity!!!

Yay!!

Why not? Metallica's in.

peewee's lovechild
12-18-2009, 03:36 PM
Why not? Metallica's in.

Oooooooooooo.

But, in their defense, they have classic albums before they found their vaginas.

Greg Oden
12-18-2009, 03:39 PM
Oooooooooooo.

But, in their defense, they have classic albums before they found their vaginas.

they do? master of puppets was good, everything before was shitty thrash, everything after was bloated dog shit.

peewee's lovechild
12-18-2009, 03:42 PM
they do? master of puppets wad good, everything before was shitty thrash, everything after was bloated dog shit.

I'm going to kill you.

I will stab you in the ass and feed your heart to rabid sheep.

Ride The Lightning is greatness.

Greg Oden
12-18-2009, 03:44 PM
I'm going to kill you.

I will stab you in the ass and feed your heart to rabid sheep.

Ride The Lightning is greatness.

It might've been alright if Hetfield didn't sound like he was locked in the trunk of someone's car.

leemajors
12-18-2009, 03:52 PM
It might've been alright if Hetfield didn't sound like he was locked in the trunk of someone's car.

:rollin

marini martini
12-18-2009, 04:00 PM
:toast

xGE4dnrPPZQ