PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Spurs Notebook: Spurs' kind early schedule nearing end

duncan228
12-18-2009, 11:36 PM
Spurs' kind early schedule nearing end (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_kind_early_schedule_nearing_end.html)
Mike Monroe

Still seeking consistency and continuity in their play, the Spurs open a three-game home stand tonight against the Indiana Pacers with a clear understanding that the kindest portion of the schedule is nearing conclusion.

Before they leave town again, for back-to-back games in Milwaukee and New York right after Christmas, they will have played 17 of 26 games on their home court.

“We know this first part of the season we're playing a lot of games at home,” guard Manu Ginobili said. “We definitely can't let any more of them get away. We've already lost four at home.

“Indiana is a test. We've got to take care of business and have a great game. Even though we won the last game (over the Warriors, in Oakland), it wasn't such a great performance against Phoenix. We were very upset and frustrated with the way we played. So we've got to start playing good to feel good.”

The Spurs have had some halting starts in the past. They were 13-10 in 2003-04, but used a 6-1 rodeo road trip in February as a springboard to a 57-win season.

“Playing better on the rodeo trip is something that has happened the last few years, but it's not something we plan for, and we can't rely on it happening,” Ginobili said. “If it happens now, it's better, so that's the main goal: try to feel good about ourselves, feel confident and start playing better defense, like the second half against the Warriors.

Then everything will start clicking, but we just can't do it one game, two games, then take a break. It's not like that.”

Follow the Money: Spurs coach Gregg Popovich may be no fan of Twitter, the social networking Web site, but a lot of NBA players use it to interact with their fans, and that includes Spurs guard Roger Mason Jr.

Mason already has more than 11,000 following his Twitter account — he calls himself Money Mase.

He hopes to top 20,000 followers by Christmas, in part by offering two tickets to the Spurs-Knicks game at Madison Square Garden to the “Money Mase” follower who posts the most convincing video explaining why he or she deserves the tickets.

“Its just for fun,” Mason said. “I told my Twitter followers to help me get to 20,000 followers and as my Christmas gift, I'll send a Twitter follower to New York.

“They're putting their videos on IBeatYou.com. The most compelling video will win the trip. The finals will give their input, and then I'll make the final choice.”