PDA

View Full Version : Doberman Help

RedsLakers24
12-20-2009, 04:22 AM
I Just got a Doberman Puppy, Gonna be 8 Weeks on Tues December 22, just want to Know why does he cry every single time, also this will be an outdoor dog, we have a big backyard so it will have lots of space to do excercise, but i was reading on the breed and it says its more of an indoor dog, and i wanted to know if its a problem being and outdoor dog, i live in So Cal so the temp isnt so bad ...thanx..i never owend a doberman before

whottt
12-20-2009, 05:29 AM
Some dogs just cry. I had a Doberman that used to whine all the time, he was actually a friendly dog, like a lab, who whined because he wanted attention.

You can't leave Dobermans outside in cold weather, they've got thin skin and thin coats and will freeze their asses off if it's cold. I mean look at em'...

They are good dogs, I've had two of them. One was friendly(he actually got stolen he was so friendly), the other one was the guarddog from hell. More than likely you will raise it in a fenced backyard so it is probably going to wind up closer to a guarddog from hell than friendly.

They are good dogs who are really protective of their owners and families but they are generally pretty high strung and pretty aggressive. They've also got some sharp ass teeth and they can bite hard even when they don't mean to do so and are just play biting.

TDMVPDPOY
12-20-2009, 06:38 AM
pics of wifey now

Sportcamper
12-20-2009, 11:49 AM
I think you picked the wrong dog…Dobbies can be high maintenance….They don’t like dog food…They prefer chuck roast simmered in onion soup….The large males like to sleep in bed with their owners…They hate the cold & the heat…They need constant reassurance…They don’t like being left alone & will escape their yards to be around people…Dude…Get a chia pet…Give the Dobbie to a senior who is home all day...

ashbeeigh
12-20-2009, 12:23 PM
8 weeks old? It's a baby. Of course he's going to cry. It's not a breed thing. It's a baby thing. You didn't research this at all did you?

leemajors
12-20-2009, 12:59 PM
Don't dock its ears.

Silver21_Black20
12-20-2009, 01:07 PM
You didn't research this at all did you?

That was my first thought too.

8 weeks is way too small to have him outside. Keep him indoors until he is a little older.

mrsmaalox
12-20-2009, 01:16 PM
I agree with Ash, he's just a baby so he cries a lot. I got my Doberman at 8 weeks old and he is 6 years old now. My dog is an indoor dog and is very mellow and spoiled. He is very smart and well behaved and has NEVER done anything destructive or had a potty accident indoors. He's a great watchdog and very protective of the family---if I even raise my voice at my kids, he's on the spot to make sure everything is okay. He has a doggy door to the backyard and goes out whenever he wants, sleeps in the sun and patrols the fence.
He's the best walking/running partner I've ever had. I personally would not keep a dobey outside; they are too social and need to be part of a family----in fact mine is the cleanest, calmest, smartest and most responsible member of this family! :)

TheProfessor
12-20-2009, 01:19 PM
As someone who similarly acquired a dog without knowing much about it and later realized how dumb that was, I say get a book on dobermans ASAP. I'd start socializing him with other puppies and people as well. Some vets offer this service to new dog owners, or you can find a puppy group. Socializing a dog early, especially one as protective as a doberman, will be really helpful in the long run. If you're going to keep him inside, start crate-training early.

As for the whining, whott's right, but I'd add that you don't want to reward him for whining by giving attention/food/etc., because it will just reinforce it.

You probably know a lot of this, I just don't want someone to go through what I did with a new breed I was unprepared for.

RedsLakers24
12-20-2009, 01:32 PM
As someone who similarly acquired a dog without knowing much about it and later realized how dumb that was, I say get a book on dobermans ASAP. I'd start socializing him with other puppies and people as well. Some vets offer this service to new dog owners, or you can find a puppy group. Socializing a dog early, especially one as protective as a doberman, will be really helpful in the long run. If you're going to keep him inside, start crate-training early.

As for the whining, whott's right, but I'd add that you don't want to reward him for whining by giving attention/food/etc., because it will just reinforce it.

You probably know a lot of this, I just don't want someone to go through what I did with a new breed I was unprepared for.

yeah im taking him to petsmart for Puppy training and so he could be with other dogs and socialize with other people, i tought it was free but it was 90 dollars for 6 week training :bang

RedsLakers24
12-20-2009, 01:48 PM

ashbeeigh
12-20-2009, 01:49 PM
You need to upload that somewhere like photobucket or something, We cannot see it.

thispego
12-20-2009, 02:09 PM
yeah im taking him to petsmart for Puppy training and so he could be with other dogs and socialize with other people, i tought it was free but it was 90 dollars for 6 week training :bang

rofl, why would you think it was free? you're the dude who wears purple vnecks and skinny jeans, right?

thispego
12-20-2009, 02:13 PM
Don't dock its ears.

you kidding me? this chode probabaly had the dogs ears chopped off before he even picked him up. this guy is looking for a status symbol, kinda like how if you're hood you wanna get a pit. they're not pets, they're ornaments

RedsLakers24
12-21-2009, 03:33 AM
here is a vid i posted on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwuPEaxf2Yo

leemajors
12-21-2009, 05:05 AM
you kidding me? this chode probabaly had the dogs ears chopped off before he even picked him up. this guy is looking for a status symbol, kinda like how if you're hood you wanna get a pit. they're not pets, they're ornaments

Still worth it to recommend against it, pego. A buddy of mine about 6 years ago did it for the looks, and the dog was a hemophiliac, almost died. He felt lower than low.

Heath Ledger
12-21-2009, 08:19 AM
I agree with Ash, he's just a baby so he cries a lot. I got my Doberman at 8 weeks old and he is 6 years old now. My dog is an indoor dog and is very mellow and spoiled. He is very smart and well behaved and has NEVER done anything destructive or had a potty accident indoors. He's a great watchdog and very protective of the family---if I even raise my voice at my kids, he's on the spot to make sure everything is okay. He has a doggy door to the backyard and goes out whenever he wants, sleeps in the sun and patrols the fence.
He's the best walking/running partner I've ever had. I personally would not keep a dobey outside; they are too social and need to be part of a family----in fact mine is the cleanest, calmest, smartest and most responsible member of this family! :)

An outdoor dog in SoCAl? It gets hot as fuck there. It's all good if you don't want him to have a stroke.

I had a doberman as a kid. Probably the 2nd best dog I've ever owned. They can get a littler squirrely around strangers and are very good guard dogs.

Sportcamper
12-21-2009, 10:32 AM
Hey Red...Is that Pets Mart or Pet Smart?

marini martini
12-21-2009, 10:33 AM
Hope he doesn't rip your face off in the middle of the night, after being left outside all day.

SpursFanFirst
12-21-2009, 12:55 PM
Poor thing!
We had a doberman at one point - she was super sweet!
Unfortunately, when we moved to Minnesota (from TX), we had to give her up (to an older woman who knitted sweaters for dogs :) ). She would shake on a cool day in TX. There was NO WAY she was going to make it through the MN winters.

I'm with those who say you should have researched thoroughly before purchasing a dog. Not every breed will work with every person.
You have her now, though. Perhaps you can read everything you can get your hands on, and make a more informed decision on your future with this pooch.

Here's a link for starters:
http://www.akc.org/breeds/doberman_pinscher/

thispego
12-21-2009, 01:46 PM
Y'all are assuming that this guy can read

RedsLakers24
12-21-2009, 03:16 PM
Hey Red...Is that Pets Mart or Pet Smart?

my bad its petco

marini martini
12-21-2009, 03:21 PM
Hmmmmmm let's see............

a. you gonna leave pup out side all day.
b. you gonna dock his ears.
c. you know nothing about the breed.
d. your shitty taste in music.
e. Laker fan.

Yep, dog's gonna bite your face off in the middle of the night.:wow

RedsLakers24
12-21-2009, 03:30 PM
Hmmmmmm let's see............

a. you gonna leave pup out side all day.
b. you gonna dock his ears.
c. you know nothing about the breed.
d. your shitty taste in music.
e. Laker fan.

Yep, dog's gonna bite your face off in the middle of the night.:wow

a. he doenst sleep outside, he sleeps inside the garage where he has a warm bed inside so its not cold, we play with him outside but when he sleeping or eating he is inside the garage

b. yes i am going to dock his ears, i was reading about if you dont dock his ears he might be prone to ear infections

c. i actually did research on the dog

d. The Killers are still the Best

e. Lakers RULE the NBA

mrsmaalox
12-21-2009, 03:43 PM
b. yes i am going to dock his ears, i was reading about if you dont dock his ears he might be prone to ear infections

Just fyi, my dobie is not docked and has never had an ear infection. He's 6 yrs old now.

Sportcamper
12-21-2009, 03:51 PM
my bad its petco

I was joking...Pet Mart…Pets Smart…It is a Larry the Cable guy joke…

But I was serious about Dobermans preferring chuck roast over dog food…:lol

easjer
12-21-2009, 04:20 PM
Cleaning ears is more likely to prevent infections than docking them. There are sometimes legit reasons to dock ears or tails, but not often in a standard household pet.

Your pup is just that - a puppy, now separated from littermates and in a strange environment. Try crate training him, starting now (also helps with potty training), and consider wrapping a ticking clock in a light blanket or kitchen towel and leaving that with him to soothe him.

Since he is a young puppy, you are going to have to make extra effort to spend time with him and socialize him properly. Dobermans are very protective of those they are bonded with, but you have to develop that bond (and the pack order) early on. Taking him to a class is a good idea, but be certain you take the time to play with him, stimulate him, exercise him (simply setting him outside won't be enough).

Dobermans can be a higher energy breed and more intelligent breed, which requires hands on working, and ideally, giving them puzzle toys to keep them occupied. Bored dogs and unexercised dogs are the dogs most likely to get into trouble. Dogs that are kept busy, well socialized and included in their families' lives and well exercised are tired and easier to train.

Heath Ledger
12-21-2009, 09:30 PM
Dobies just aren't dobies with their docked ears and tail. While Im sure its painful for them for a short period of time I don't think it's something they ever think about once they heal. It's back to business as usual, eating, shitting, licking their ass and balls and looking mucho badass.

phyzik
12-22-2009, 02:08 AM
Without reading any responses to the OP, I had a Doberman when I was like 11 years old. Her name was Dixie. That bitch was fucking insane.... literally mentally fucked up.

I will never get another doberman after that dog.

My parents gave it to my grandmother out in Von Ormy because it would snap mentally on us for no reason, not "attacking" but just mentally crazy, it would just flip out and start doing crazy shit like jumping in the air and landing on its back and shit. total fucking mentally retarded. My grandmother kept it in a caged area. The dog ended up escaping the cage one day when my grandmother went to feed it, there was a train passing by and it bolted out of the gate, trying to attack a train that runs in front of her house and was killed by it. :lol

That dog was fucking mental.

leemajors
12-22-2009, 10:50 AM
Dobies just aren't dobies with their docked ears and tail. While Im sure its painful for them for a short period of time I don't think it's something they ever think about once they heal. It's back to business as usual, eating, shitting, licking their ass and balls and looking mucho badass.

bloated

chode_regulator
12-22-2009, 12:00 PM
glad y ou mentioned it a second time in the same thread.

RedsLakers24
12-22-2009, 09:10 PM
My puppy is lazy, all it does is sleep, we have run around our yard cuz its big but it gets tired fast and falls asleep, it doesnt cry anymore, it only cries in the beggening when we first leave him alone but only for 5-10 min, after no more crying, he sleeps in the garage with a bunch of blankets so it shouldnt be cold

Dre_7
12-23-2009, 02:27 PM
Docking ears does NOTHING to prevent ear infections. Docking ears or tails have no benefit at all. People only do it for the looks.

IronMexican
12-23-2009, 02:32 PM
Docking ears does NOTHING to prevent ear infections. Docking ears or tails have no benefit at all. People only do it for the looks.

That shit looks badass, though. You gotta do it, Red.