PDA

View Full Version : E-N: Spurs guard plays Santa to local teens

duncan228
12-21-2009, 12:07 AM
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x282/duncan228/lead/lead260.jpg
San Antonio Spurs guard George Hill provided $300 Best Buy shopping sprees to five teens from the Candlewood Boys and Girls Club on Sunday. The teens were selected for their leadership abilities and community service efforts.

Spurs guard plays Santa to local teens (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_guard_plays_Santa_to_local_teens.html)
By Jennifer R. Lloyd - Express-News

San Antonio Spurs guard George Hill dished out bargain-shopping advice and $300 Best Buy shopping sprees to five teens from the Boys & Girls Clubs of San Antonio on Sunday.

The giggling teen members of the Boys & Girls Clubs Candlewood Branch gathered around the basketball player, clad in a Spurs Santa hat, as he good-naturedly haggled with the store's manager to get the teens a discount on MP3 players at the North Loop 1604 location.

“I don't want them to come in here and spend all their money on one item when they can maybe get five or six items for the same price,” said Hill, who was also holiday shopping for an Xbox 360 and a couple of Nintendo DS systems. “I'm trying to help them learn how to manage their money at the same time.”

Hill said he wanted to give back to the teens because he knows what it is like to go without presents at Christmas.

“It was so off and on,” said Hill, remembering his childhood. “Every once in a while, we'd have something. Other Christmases, we might not have nothing. I treat Christmas like any other day. Just be blessed that I woke up that morning and have fun with the whole day.”

Last year, Hill provided a similar experience to three siblings in foster care. This year, Hill played benefactor to youths taking advantage of the Boys & Girls Clubs, just as he did growing up in Indianapolis.

“Being around other kids who were just like me, who had it hard, nobody wanted to give us nothing,” Hill said. “We had to earn everything. The Boys & Girls Club always let us come in there, have fun, do what we like to do and that's play basketball, baseball, football, swimming, things like that.”

James Watson, executive director of the Boys & Girls Clubs of San Antonio, said the five teens were selected for their leadership abilities and community service efforts from among the 200 or so children served daily at the branch. Most of the children served by the Boys & Girls Club of San Antonio are living at or close to the federal poverty level and many come from single-parent homes, Watson said.

Club members Janaevia Broussard and Krystal Villarreal, both 16 and both dedicated Spurs fans, selected matching Kodak digital cameras for themselves but saved a portion of their shopping spree to buy presents for their siblings.

Broussard said she was very surprised to find out that they had been selected for the shopping spree.

“We just like to give, give, give, and, especially when it's the season to give, we're not expecting to receive much,” Broussard said. “But it's a blessing. We're very appreciative.”

Hill, who took a break from shopping to play the DJ Hero game with club member James Johnson, 14, said the tough economic times played a factor in his reason for giving.

“I just feel like it's my job and I got something I like doing: putting smiles on kids' faces who may not be having a great Christmas,” Hill said.

raspsa
12-21-2009, 12:39 AM
Kudos to GHill.

TDMVPDPOY
12-21-2009, 01:02 AM
antoine walker can sure make use of that $300 gift voucher....

TJastal
12-21-2009, 11:43 AM
Nice guy and a pretty good basketball player to boot.

TJastal
12-21-2009, 11:44 AM
Nice guy and a pretty good basketball player to boot.

Thx for the post, D-228

SenorSpur
12-21-2009, 12:39 PM
:tu :tu

Danny.Zhu
12-21-2009, 10:07 PM
Nice work, George.

spursdotcom
12-21-2009, 10:16 PM
http://www.nba.com/spurs/multimedia/091221_hill.html

:toast

Manu-of-steel