PDA

View Full Version : All Decade Team

msuh27
12-21-2009, 02:27 PM
As the year winds down, also the decade of 2000-2009 winds down as well. So I will now post my All Decade Team below. Feel free to leave any (smart) comments.

PG

Steve Nash.
I'm torn between Nash or Kidd, but you can't count out back to back MVP's. In his prime, Nash averaged 19 pts, 12 ast, while shooting 53% FG and 92% FT. Kidd may end up with an overall better career, but for the last decade, Nash comes out on top.

SG

Kobe Bryant.
4 rings, 1 mvp, 1 white girl rape case unsolved. The difference between Tiger and Kobe is that Kobe came out immediately and said, "yes, we fucked. but i'm gonna clean up this mess with money", and he did. I've been watching basketball now for 18 years with my friend, and we both agree that Kobe is dangerously close to MJ status.

SF.

Lebron James.
Even though he came out in 03, no SF has had the numbers he's had to date. (Pierce was my second choice, because he has a ring) Career averages of 27 pts, 7 reb, 7 ast, and 1.7 stls. And remember, he's only 25 years old.

PF.

Tim Duncan.
4 rings, 2 MVP's, 13 straight All Star appearences, 13 straight All NBA nominations, 13 straight All Defensive team
nominations, career averages of 21 pts, 11.7 reb, 2.4 blks. The scary stat is, this season he's averaging 20 pts, 11 reb and 2.1 blks per game. That is the definition of consistencey. And on top of that, a BS in Psychology from Wake Forest. Best power forward ever. No doubt. Top 3 big man ever. No doubt.

C.

Shaq O'neal

In 2000, he had the best season of his career. He averaged 28 pts, 14 reb, 3 blks, 4 ast and 1 stl. He was Dwight Howard, even before Dwight Howard touched a basketball. I seriously doubt Dwight Howard will have a better career overall than Shaq. Plus, he's funny. But back in the day, he was an absolute beast. Top 3 big man ever. (With Duncan).

6th Man.

Manu Ginobili/Robert Horry

There were countless 6th men with better averages (ie Jason Terry, Jerry Stackhouse and Ben Gordon), none could change the game like Ginobili. On both offense and defense. He was a 6th man guard who was most of the time the best guard on either team, including the starters! He would pester all the leagues best shooting guards into anger, he would flop the best with his floppy hair, plus he caught a bat on Halloween! Robert Horry also gets the nod here too. He might be the first NBA Hall of Famer with a career average of under 10 pts. (Having 9 rings and being absolutely motherfucking clutch doesn't hurt either). Big shot Rob.

Coach.

Phil Jackson.
4 rings in the 2000's, and 10 total. Having Jordan, Pippen, Kobe and Shaq helps. Coach Gregg Popovich was a extremely close 2nd, having 3 rings and never losing more than 35 games in every season, but in the end, the rings count more.

GM.

RC Burford.
Tony Parker with the 29th pick, Ginobili 57th pick, Dejuan Blair 36th pick, Beno Udrih 28th pick, Luis Scola with 40th pick, and trading for Bruce Bowen, Robert Horry, Brent Barry, Michael Finley. Every single player mentioned (except for Blair and Scola [This one still hurts] was a significant contributor on their teams, and now have a ring.)

So there it is. My list. Any thoughts? Concerns? Questions? Let me know. And please don't write any stupid stuff.

spurs_fan_in_exile
12-21-2009, 02:33 PM
I don't think you could really go wrong between Nash and Kidd, but I'd still take Kidd. Nash can draw a charge but for the most part he's an empty jersey on defense. In his prime Kidd was a nightly threat for a triple double and could play some physical D.

lebomb
12-21-2009, 02:39 PM
Everyone has rings except Nash and Lebron............I dont know.......I think I would either go with Tony 3 rings or at least Billlups with 1. As far as SF? Paul Pierce............I think you have to have at least one ring to be qualified.

JWest596
12-21-2009, 02:42 PM
GM.

RC Burford.
Tony Parker with the 29th pick, Ginobili 57th pick, Dejuan Blair 36th pick, Beno Udrih 28th pick, Luis Scola with 40th pick, and trading for Bruce Bowen, Robert Horry, Brent Barry, Michael Finley. Every single player mentioned (except for Blair and Scola [This one still hurts] was a significant contributor on their teams, and now have a ring.)

So there it is. My list. Any thoughts? Concerns? Questions? Let me know. And please don't write any stupid stuff.

Pop was GM at the time of some of those decisions. I don't take anything away from RC but I seriously doubt either makes a move without a dual discussion and consensus, grudgingly or not.. It's a brain trust, a real team approach.

BTW what do the initials "RC" stand for? Anybody know?

A poster long ago stated it was "Raiford Cumberland" but I'm not buying that.

lebomb
12-21-2009, 02:44 PM
Oh, by the way................wrong forum.

ffadicted
12-21-2009, 04:54 PM
Everyone has rings except Nash and Lebron............I dont know.......I think I would either go with Tony 3 rings or at least Billlups with 1. As far as SF? Paul Pierce............I think you have to have at least one ring to be qualified.

Typical stupid spurs fan
Get the fuck outta here :hat

Spurs Brazil
12-21-2009, 05:02 PM
From D.Aldridge

All-Decade Team
G: Steve Nash, Suns
G: Kobe Bryant, Lakers
F: Tim Duncan, Spurs
F: Kevin Garnett, Celtics
C: Shaquille O'Neal, Cavaliers

Point guard came down to two worthy candidates: Nash and Jason Kidd. Their credentials reflected their joint dominance: Kidd led the Nets to consecutive Finals appearances in '02 and '03; Nash won consecutive league MVP honors in '05 and '06. Both improved the stats and the bank accounts of teammates: Shawn Marion and Kenyon Martin should both still be tithing to their respective maestros. The Nasty One gets the nod by a hair by virtue of his continuing impact, long after the Mavericks thought he was breaking down and most of the rest of us thought he'd flounder without Mike D'Antoni.

Kobe didn't have any real serious competition at two guard. Reggie Miller retired in 2005; Tracy McGrady hasn't been able to stay healthy. Duncan and Garnett are both power forwards, but it would criminal to dis-include one of them over the likes of Carmelo Anthony or Chris Webber, good as both of them are (and were). LeBron? Didn't get to the L until '03, and he doesn't have any hardware yet. This has been the Shaq Era of centers; everyone else is a pretender to His Shaqnificence.

http://www.nba.com/2009/news/features/david_aldridge/12/21/morning.tip/index.html#

Kool Bob Love
12-21-2009, 05:31 PM
That 98-99 season is not part of this Decade for the people who do not know...:wakeup
:flag:

the crimson blur
12-21-2009, 05:40 PM
Well, since this is in the Spurs forum we might as well do an all-decade team for the Spurs:

G: Tony Parker
G: Manu Ginobili
F: Bruce Bowen
F: Tim Duncan
C: David Robinson

:king

temujin
12-21-2009, 06:17 PM
Billups
Ginobili
Bowen
Duncan