PDA

View Full Version : The Real Story Behind Phil’s Contract

duncan228
12-21-2009, 03:22 PM
The Real Story Behind Phil’s Contract (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=tsn-therealstorybehindph&prov=tsn&type=lgns)
SportingNews

If there weren’t drama, it wouldn’t be the Lakers. Pau Gasol re-upped, which is great and cool and everything. Kobe can in theory opt out and join the Class of 2010, but he won’t. And yet Phil is still floating out there, sitting on a fence, wavering on whether or not this will be his last season.

What gives? So much more than you ever thought. For the low-down, which I really can’t encapsulate in this humble post, you need to check out Ronald Lazenby’s piece over at HoopsHype (http://blogs.hoopshype.com/blogs/lazenby/2009/12/21/what-jerry-buss-didnt-say/). Tracing everything back to internal tensions at the heart of the Lakers organization, it all has to do with Jerry Buss’s decision to turn the team over to dim-witted prodigal son Jim, as opposed to daughter Jeanie. Since Jeanie—who deserves to run the show, by the way—is the longtime romantic companion of Phil, Jackson is taking the opportunity to play hardball here.

Against that backdrop, we get the following money-passage:

Jeanie’s friends have been furious over the situation for some time now. They like to point out that Jim Buss didn’t even have an office in the team compound, that his big move has been to put his personal bartender on the team payroll.

As one Jeanie confidant explains, Jerry Buss is a misogynist who refuses to accept the idea that his daughter might ascend to run the franchise that he has owned for 30 years.

Jerry has made up his mind and, according to Jerry West, never changes it. And so, an epic struggle has been set into motion, one that for starters, has arguably the best coach in the game’s history threatening to pack up and leave. Lazenby says that Jackson has done this before, especially when he lost patience with Bulls GM Jerry Krause. He got Jerry West to leave the Lakers. Phil does not mess around, and as Lazenby puts it, "it looks like Phil’s about to unleash another storm on the basketball world. Jerry and Jim Buss don’t want that."

Culburn369
12-21-2009, 03:27 PM
"Jerry Buss is a misogynist who refuses to accept the idea that his daughter might ascend to run the franchise that he has owned for 30 years."

She is adorable.

Allanon
12-21-2009, 03:50 PM
"Jerry Buss is a misogynist who refuses to accept the idea that his daughter might ascend to run the franchise that he has owned for 30 years."

She is adorable.

Yes she is. Very under-rated.

lefty
12-21-2009, 03:51 PM
KFC will re-sign

He will test the market, tease the Knicks and the Bulls, and will end getting a shitload of money from Mitch and Jerry

ChrisRichards
12-21-2009, 04:30 PM
KFC will re-sign

He will test the market, tease the Knicks and the Bulls, and will end getting a shitload of money from Mitch and Jerry
IF Lebron signs with the Knicks next year, it would be stupid of Jackson NOT to coach the Knicks.

A. Lebron is a much, much easier player to Coach than Kobe or Shaq.
B. Phil always dreams of coaching the Knicks
C. This could be another challenge for Phil, and he loves challenges. Maybe he can lead Bron to a title by beating the Lakers and shoving it in Kobe's face.
D. He can prove that Kobe cant win without him ;)

sook
12-21-2009, 04:36 PM
http://www.blazersedge.com/images/admin/buss.jpg

holyshit she's been in playwboy also! :greedy:greedy:wow

I. Hustle
12-21-2009, 04:37 PM
IF Lebron signs with the Knicks next year, it would be stupid of Jackson NOT to coach the Knicks.

C. This could be another challenge for Phil, and he loves challenges. Maybe he can lead Bron to a title by beating the Lakers and shoving it in Kobe's face.

Challenge? Coaching Michael and Scottie, Shaq and Kobe, Kobe and Gasol were challenges? Coaching LeBron and whatever other star the Knicks buy will be a challenge?

lefty
12-21-2009, 04:39 PM
http://www.blazersedge.com/images/admin/buss.jpg

holyshit she's been in playwboy also! :greedy:greedy:wow

Yep; she was in the June 1965 issue

Culburn369
12-21-2009, 04:45 PM
Challenge? Coaching Michael and Scottie, Shaq and Kobe, Kobe and Gasol were challenges? Coaching LeBron and whatever other star the Knicks buy will be a challenge?

Dragging LeBron kicking & screaming, and powdering to an NBA Title would be his most impossible challenge. James ain't got a hair on his ass.

ChrisRichards
12-21-2009, 04:59 PM
Dragging LeBron kicking & screaming, and powdering to an NBA Title would be his most impossible challenge. James ain't got a hair on his ass.
This^

culb gets it.

Fabbs
12-21-2009, 05:05 PM

Love to see Phil do that to the Fakers.
Or he and Lebron and (Bosh, Wade?) join the Brooklyn Nets with new rich Russian owner.

ChrisRichards
12-21-2009, 05:07 PM
Love to see Phil do that to the Fakers.
Or he and Lebron and (Bosh, Wade?) join the Brooklyn Nets with new rich Russian owner.
WOuld'nt be a bad idea, but Phil always likes to be on the spotlight. I dont see him signing for a much smaller market like the Nets, BUT then again if Bron signs there, then I could also see a reason why Jackson would coach that team.

Venti Quattro
12-21-2009, 05:08 PM
I would love to see Phil coach this team to another three peat but if he decides to bolt or quit for health reasons then I see no problem with it. There are able replacements on the asst coaches roster.

By my estimate, Shaw is ready to take over.

Allanon
12-21-2009, 05:09 PM
it would be stupid of Jackson NOT to coach the Knicks.

Chris, this is exactly why I think Phil would retire instead of going to a different team.

If Kobe wins one under Brian Shaw, Phil will never escape the "Because he had great players" thingie.

If Phil retires, he can just say he taught Shaw everything he knows...but even a slight chance of losing to Shaw is unacceptable.

Phil may not return to the Lakers but he can't coach anywhere else as long as Kobe still has a chance at a ring without him.

ChrisRichards
12-21-2009, 05:15 PM
Chris, this is exactly why I think Phil would retire instead of going to a different team.

If Kobe wins one under Brian Shaw, Phil will never escape the "Because he had great players" thingie.

If Phil retires, he can just say he taught Shaw everything he knows...but even a slight chance of losing to Shaw is unacceptable.

Phil may not return to the Lakers but he can't coach anywhere else as long as Kobe still has a chance at a ring without him.
But isnt that the same thing?

If the Lakers decides not to sign him anyway after this season and he retires, then a coach like Byron Scott or maybe even Adelman takes over and lead the Lakers to another title.

Allanon
12-21-2009, 05:20 PM
But isnt that the same thing?

If the Lakers decides not to sign him anyway after this season and he retires, then a coach like Byron Scott or maybe even Adelman takes over and lead the Lakers to another title.

It's not because Phil can say he taught them everything before they left so he gets credit for their future achievements.

Now if he goes to a new team and doesn't win and Brian Shaw does, they'll say the students beat the master and Phil would never allow that.

Venti Quattro
12-21-2009, 05:20 PM
Let me just comment on the issue:

COME ON! Jerry, are you going to be misogynist on your own daughter? She helped build this team. Jim Buss couldn't even speak out straight when he recieved the LOB in Orlando

Trainwreck2100
12-21-2009, 05:24 PM
So his daughter's mad he won't let her get the franchise after she whored herself out to Playboy.

ChrisRichards
12-21-2009, 05:24 PM
It's not because Phil can say he taught them everything before they left so he gets credit for their future achievements.

Now if he goes to a new team and doesn't win and Brian Shaw does, they'll say the students beat the master and Phil would never allow that.
ok, its clear now. thanks for clearing this ish up :toast

Allanon
12-21-2009, 05:27 PM
ok, its clear now. thanks for clearing this ish up :toast

It's just my opinion Chris, you may be right and I'm wrong. :lol

Culburn369
12-21-2009, 05:29 PM
Let me just comment on the issue:

COME ON! Jerry, are you going to be misogynist on your own daughter? She helped build this team. Jim Buss couldn't even speak out straight when he recieved the LOB in Orlando

I heard him just fine when he insisted on the drafting of Bynum.

bostonguy
12-21-2009, 05:32 PM
I bet Phil signs a 1-2 year deal if they repeat. Phil is happy in LA. He is dating the bosses daughter and will get paid sick money. He is literally part of the Buss family. He and management will work out the details. Phil isn't going to leave especially if they bring home the title this year. He is too comfortable and content to bolt LA for another team. Phil has proven everything as a coach. Now he just wants to continue to add to that ring collection. If LA repeats, Phil stays. If they don't, he will retire. Remember Phil likes winning in 3's.

Al Koholik
12-21-2009, 05:42 PM
I bet Phil signs a 1-2 year deal if they repeat. Phil is happy in LA. He is dating the bosses daughter and will get paid sick money. He is literally part of the Buss family. He and management will work out the details. Phil isn't going to leave especially if they bring home the title this year. He is too comfortable and content to bolt LA for another team. Phil has proven everything as a coach. Now he just wants to continue to add to that ring collection. If LA repeats, Phil stays. If they don't, he will retire. Remember Phil likes winning in 3's.

WTF?! You sound like a Faker fan! How can a Boston guy talk like that? You must not be from Beantown you bandwagon POS.

mogrovejo
12-21-2009, 05:43 PM
He needs Doc Rivers to humiliate him once again to retire.

bostonguy
12-21-2009, 05:46 PM
WTF?! You sound like a Faker fan! How can a Boston guy talk like that? You must not be from Beantown you bandwagon POS.

So saying the Lakers have a damn good chance at repeating makes me a bandwagoner? Saying Phil is comfortable in LA makes me a bandwagoner? Guess I was way off on that definition. :lmao

mogrovejo
12-21-2009, 05:47 PM
True, bostonguy is a bandwagoner but not for that particular post.

Allanon
12-21-2009, 05:55 PM
True, bostonguy is a bandwagoner but not for that particular post.

Lol this tool calling out his own fans and thinking he is a better Celtic fan :lol

bostonguy
12-21-2009, 06:42 PM
Lol this tool calling out his own fans and thinking he is a better Celtic fan :lol

Eh I tend to get that alot. Many Celtic fans wanted to kick my ass for giving the Lakers props on their title last year. You don't know how butt hurt they get when I say that the Lakers are very capable of repeating. Funny stuff. I am just not like many Celts fans. I just don't have any dislike for the Lakers. I am not even a biased fan anymore. Guess being a blind homer= being a bandwagon fan. That definition is making sense now. :lmao