PDA

View Full Version : Honest Answers Please: If Kobe wins 7 titles...

ChrisRichards
12-21-2009, 05:04 PM
Passes Jordan and Malone on the All time scoring list, wins 3 Finals MVP, and 2 regular season MVP's and retires as a Laker with a playoff average of 28ppg 5 rpg, 4.5 apg 1.5 spg on 47% fg.

Will you consider him better than Magic or Bird then? How would you rank him all time? Behind Jordan and Wilt (which puts him 3rd in that regard)

Venti Quattro
12-21-2009, 05:06 PM
Top 5 behind...

Kareem
Russell
Magic
Cousy

ChrisRichards
12-21-2009, 05:11 PM
If your grandmother had a dick wouldn't she be your grandfather?!
If mah grandmother had a penis, i would tell her to rape your ass, Kobe style.

stretch
12-21-2009, 05:11 PM
Passes Jordan and Malone on the All time scoring list, wins 3 Finals MVP, and 2 regular season MVP's and retires as a Laker with a playoff average of 28ppg 5 rpg, 4.5 apg 1.5 spg on 47% fg.

Will you consider him better than Magic or Bird then? How would you rank him all time? Behind Jordan and Wilt (which puts him 3rd in that regard)

if he finishes his career that accomplished, i think he rightfully should be considered the GOAT

the reason i say this, is because the era that kobe is playing in right now, is most definitely a tougher era than the era jordan was winning titles in, and teams right now are full of young stars that are only going to get better, so it would appear that this era hasnt even reached its peak. kobe would have to win another 3 titles, which if he is able to do that, would be quite impressive.

I. Hustle
12-21-2009, 05:13 PM
One of the only things I respect about Kobe is that he has stuck it out with the same team instead of going other places.

ChrisRichards
12-21-2009, 05:17 PM
One of the only things I respect about Kobe is that he has stuck it out with the same team instead of going other places.
thats easy. he plays for the lakers. no player would want to play somewhere else IMO if an organization like the lakers fully supports you and pay's you top dollar.

I. Hustle
12-21-2009, 05:18 PM
thats easy. he plays for the lakers. no player would want to play somewhere else IMO if an organization like the lakers fully supports you and pay's you top dollar.

Someone is always willing to pay more for a player like Kobe.

ChrisRichards
12-21-2009, 05:19 PM
if he finishes his career that accomplished, i think he rightfully should be considered the GOAT
interesting, so people values the amount of titles a superstar player has than accumulated regular and finals mvp?

hater
12-21-2009, 05:26 PM
not at all. Magic/Jordan/Bird did not need to play next to the most dominant player ever to win their first 3 rings.

Culburn369
12-21-2009, 05:27 PM
6 will suffice.

stretch
12-21-2009, 06:18 PM
interesting, so people values the amount of titles a superstar player has than accumulated regular and finals mvp?

no, i also stated that this has become a very competitive era of basketball, and to be able to win 4 titles in it, would be a hell of an accomplishment. i already think he is pretty much as skilled, if not more skilled than jordan, it was just a matter of him proving that he had the intangibles of jordan.

JamStone
12-21-2009, 06:23 PM
Kobe will demand a trade before he allows Pau Gasol to be the #1 option let alone it be Andrew Bynum. Kobe's ego and personality wouldn't allow it. If Kobe wins three more titles, he'll do it as the #1 option and he'll put up the stats to back it up. He might not win every Finals MVP, but he'll be the undisputed #1 guy on the team, the leader, and go-to guy. So if he is somehow able to win three more titles, yes, he'll be better than Bird and Magic. But, I don't think that would put him third behind Jordan and Wilt. It would put him ahead of Wilt and at the same level as Jordan, and arguably the GOAT... arguably.

samikeyp
12-21-2009, 06:26 PM

No.

namlook
12-21-2009, 07:21 PM
If Kobe wins 6 or 7 rings he will pass Magic as the greatest Laker of all time.

Hooks
12-21-2009, 07:31 PM
no, i also stated that this has become a very competitive era of basketball, and to be able to win 4 titles in it, would be a hell of an accomplishment. i already think he is pretty much as skilled, if not more skilled than jordan, it was just a matter of him proving that he had the intangibles of jordan.

lol who's that kid with the guitar?

Culburn369
12-21-2009, 07:34 PM
If Kobe wins 6 or 7 rings he will pass Magic as the greatest Laker of all time.

No. Never.

Magic ended our misery in June of '85 and for that he'll always be our Greatest Laker.

namlook
12-21-2009, 07:36 PM
No. Never.

Magic ended our misery in June of '85 and for that he'll always be our Greatest Laker.

Sentimentality is getting in the way of your objectivity.

Spursfan092120
12-21-2009, 07:39 PM
Top 5 behind...

Kareem
Russell
Magic
Cousy
http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc37/john010117/Randomness/Facepalmcollage.jpg

cobbler
12-21-2009, 07:52 PM
not at all. Magic/Jordan/Bird did not need to play next to the most dominant player ever to win their first 3 rings.

Yeah... those Jabbars, Worthys, Mchales, Parishes, Pippens etc are such scrubs! :toast

jacobdrj
12-21-2009, 08:09 PM
For the championships to be comparable, Kobe would have to win 3 championships by himself, no Shaq, no Pau, and no Bynum, assuming he becomes anything like Pau/Shaq/Rodman.

Allanon
12-21-2009, 08:17 PM
For the championships to be comparable, Kobe would have to win 3 championships by himself, no Shaq, no Pau, and no Bynum, assuming he becomes anything like Pau/Shaq/Rodman.

That's not really fair.

Then Jordan would have to win 1 without Pippen. Pippen was a Top 50 player of All Time.

Jordan was 1-9 in the Playoffs without Pippen
Jordan was a <40% winner without Pippen

Culburn369
12-21-2009, 08:20 PM
Pippen really is the monkey in the wretch, the pain in the ass, eh?

tee, hee.

jacobdrj
12-21-2009, 08:22 PM
Jordan made Pip look a lot better than he was. Kobe could have all the guards/SF/s he wants on his team to flank him (including Artest, Eddie Jones, Glen Rice, or anyone else that comes to the Lakers), but Jordan won 3 titles without anything but very good bigman help. Nothing in the same caliber as Pau or Shaq, not until Rodman came to Chicago.

Culburn369
12-21-2009, 08:23 PM
He couldn't ring without Pippen though.

Allanon
12-21-2009, 08:23 PM
Jordan made Pip look a lot better than he was. Kobe could have all the guards/SF/s he wants on his team to flank him (including Artest, Eddie Jones, Glen Rice, or anyone else that comes to the Lakers), but Jordan won 3 titles without anything but very good bigman help. Nothing in the same caliber as Pau or Shaq, not until Rodman came to Chicago.

Bulls with Jordan 57 wins
Jordan retires
Bulls with Pippen 55 wins

Pretty close right there.

I think you are disrespectin' Scottie Pippens.

Give Kobe Scottie, Dennis Rodman, Kukoc, Steve Kerr and Will Purdue and they'll bring home 6 championships in 10 years.

ChrisRichards
12-21-2009, 08:24 PM
He couldn't ring without Pippen though.
kobe has'nt won without an all star big man

jacobdrj
12-21-2009, 08:27 PM
Scottie had the same team, a great coach, punctuated by a 2nd round exit. Scottie also had a bit of a breakdown...

Allanon
12-21-2009, 08:29 PM
Scottie had the same team, a great coach, punctuated by a 2nd round exit. Scottie also had a bit of a breakdown...

Every team will be like that when they lose their best player. But Pippen still managed to lose only 2 more games than with Michael.

You can't expect the Bulls to win championships missing their best player.

It's like taking Kobe off the Lakers and expecting Pau Gasol to bring home the Larry O' Brien by himself.

jacobdrj
12-21-2009, 08:32 PM
I actually think they overachieved because nobody expected the Bulls to be that good, ala that Houston Rockets team that won 2X games, most after Yao went down, and their best playoff performance without T-Mac...
They did what they were supposed to in my view.

EDIT: To extrapolate, it is the sign that Jordan's team was a solid one, much better than they are given credit for, but they didn't have the bigmen to compete. Championship teams can still manage 2nd round exits without their star.

stretch
12-21-2009, 08:35 PM
the kobe hate here is getting ridiculous

yeah jordan made pippen look better, but does kobe not make his teammates better as well? pau is playing the best and most efficient basketball of his career. he makes crybaby andrew "wilt" bynum look like a beast, and even has been able to keep derek fishers rotting corpse in the NBA

kobes a beast, and while unlikely, if he was able to win a few more rings in this era, can most definitely be considered > jordan

jacobdrj
12-21-2009, 08:39 PM
Why is it hate to call 1 player, who never played 'in their prime' against each-other and comparing them, better than the other?

It is all fun. Can't say I was a fan of either. Still think Reggie got screwed in 1998, as I did the Kings in 2002, but hey, its part of being on a message board.

Both players are undoubtedly championship players. It is too hard to compare eras.

namlook
12-21-2009, 08:45 PM

Oh BS. Pippen is to Jordan what Pau is to Kobe. Take Pippen away and Jordan wins nothing. Did you pay attention to what Jordan did before Pippen arrived?

jacobdrj
12-21-2009, 08:47 PM
Pippen is not a PF/C. Period. Jordan's greatness comes from not only his titles but the fact he did it without a HOF big until Rodman came.

namlook
12-21-2009, 08:47 PM
kobe has'nt won without an all star big man

That's like saying Jordan hasn't won without a top 50 player of all time. Magic hasn't won without an all-star big man. Bird hasn't won anything without TWO all-star big men. Do you forget McHale and Parrish are Hall of Fame big men?

jacobdrj
12-21-2009, 08:49 PM
Exactly: Jordan was considered to have been the only guy to win without a big, which is why he is put on a pedestal. A SF is not a PF/C.

namlook
12-21-2009, 08:53 PM
Exactly: Jordan was considered to have been the only guy to win without a big, which is why he is put on a pedestal. A SF is not a PF/C.

It's not about what position you play, it's how good you are. Pippen at his best was better than many Hall of Fame big men. At a certain period of time during one of Jordan's retirements many considered Pippen to be the best player in basketball.

The Bulls won without a great big man because they played lockdown defense. That wasn't all because of Jordan. The Bulls had better talent on the defensive side of the ball than any other team in the league. They always had three all-defensive team caliber players on their roster when they won: Jordan, Pippen, Rodman, Grant and throw in a player like Ron Harper who also played great defense. When a team has that kind of defensive talent they don't need an all-star big man to win.

It's not a secret as to how the Bulls won. The Bulls always had the two or three best players on the other team locked down with great defenders. Add a dynamic scorer like Jordan to that mix and you get championships.

jacobdrj
12-21-2009, 08:57 PM
There is a pattern in NBA history, one that people keep reminding me of: 7 footers win titles. You can't win without a great 7 footer. I keep hearing this.

Jordan proved that was crap, as long as you were good enough.

I AGREE with you. But the all time debate always points out that only the Jordan Bulls won without a HOF center in decades, and none since...

namlook
12-21-2009, 08:59 PM
There is a pattern in NBA history, one that people keep reminding me of: 7 footers win titles. You can't win without a great 7 footer. I keep hearing this.

I AGREE with you. But the all time debate always points out that only the Jordan Bulls won without a HOF center in decades, and none since...

You generally need a big man to win but Jordan won because he had superior defensive talent on his team. That negated the need for a big man.

jacobdrj
12-21-2009, 09:01 PM
But it doesn't change the fact that the Jordan Bulls are an anomaly in NBA history.
We are arguing on the same side.

namlook
12-21-2009, 09:06 PM
But it doesn't change the fact that the Jordan Bulls are an anomaly in NBA history.
We are arguing on the same side.

There's no doubt in my mind that if you had replaced Jordan with Kobe the championship bubbly would be flowing. Jordan had a great supporting cast and had the best collection of defenders on his team.

Allanon
12-21-2009, 09:06 PM
Scottie Pippen just never gets any credit for the Great player he was...always about MJ.

namlook
12-21-2009, 09:14 PM
Scottie Pippen just never gets any credit for the Great player he was...always about MJ.

Most people that say this are probably too young to have been following the NBA in a serious way back then. Pippen was considered to be the best player in basketball at one time during a Jordan hiatus. In effect that means the Bulls probably had the two best players on their team for a period of time, and not only that they had the best defensive talent.

21_Blessings
12-21-2009, 09:22 PM
You generally need a big man to win but Jordan won because he had superior defensive talent on his team. That negated the need for a big man.

Jordan never won without Horace Grant (All-Star caliber, super defensively) or Rodman (greatest rebounder ever + elite defense).

Jordan + Pip negated the need to run the offense through a big man. But they definitely needed Ho and Rodman's defense.

kingmalaki
12-21-2009, 09:35 PM

What does it matter that Pippen was a big. He was the best perimiter defender on the planet, and arguably the best SF in basketball. I have seen quite a few stud big man/wing combos (Kareem/Magic, Dream/Drexler, Moses/Doc, Shaq/Kobe), but how many teams have had the games best SG and SF on the same team? How many teams have had the best defensive SG and SF on the same damn team? So no, MJ didn't have a big man. He only had the other best wing player in basketball on his team....as if that isn't an advantage.

kingmalaki
12-21-2009, 09:39 PM

Who was the great 7 footer on the Bad Boys? Didn't they win two titles, while kicking the shit out of MJ on the way? Horace Grant was arguably as good as any big man on Detroit outside of Rodman...who also played with Jordan. Also, MJ did have bigs when he won. The only year he lost (95) was when his bigs weren't as good.

namlook
12-21-2009, 10:10 PM
Who was the great 7 footer on the Bad Boys? Didn't they win two titles, while kicking the shit out of MJ on the way? Horace Grant was arguably as good as any big man on Detroit outside of Rodman...who also played with Jordan. Also, MJ did have bigs when he won. The only year he lost (95) was when his bigs weren't as good.

Good point. I would take Horace Grant over Bill Laimbeer or James Edwards.

hitmanyr2k
12-22-2009, 01:12 AM

Are you out of your mind? Pippen had the same team?!? Huh? So you think replacing Michael Jordan in the starting lineup with CBA scrub Pete Myers should equal championship? Seriously? When Pippen had to assume the role of best player on the Bulls where was his #2 guy? Jordan always had Pippen to take the pressure off. Who was Pippen going to depend on to consistently score 20+ or create their own shot when defenses keyed on him or he was having an off night? BJ Armstrong? Horace Grant? I don't think so.

I would like to see a Jordan-led Bulls team swap Scottie Pippen for Pete Myers for a couple of years and see how many titles Jordan would have :lol

xellos88330
12-22-2009, 01:22 AM
I don't think anyone should really talk about greatest player ever. It should be greatest team ever. A great player can't go anywhere without his supporting cast.

I do not know what the obsession is with the title of Greatest player. In the end... it is because of his team that he is where he is.

ChrisRichards
12-22-2009, 01:22 AM
Jordan never won without Horace Grant (All-Star caliber, super defensively) or Rodman (greatest rebounder ever + elite defense).

Jordan + Pip negated the need to run the offense through a big man. But they definitely needed Ho and Rodman's defense.
shaq>pippen
gasol>horace grant
lamar odom + bynum> kukoc + luc longley

end of argument

namlook
12-22-2009, 01:43 AM
shaq>pippen
gasol>horace grant
lamar odom + bynum> kukoc + luc longley

end of argument

End of argument? Uh, no. It's more complicated than that.

First of all, your comparisons are off because Kobe never played with Shaq and Gasol at the same time. But Jordan played with Pippen and Grant at the same time.

We should also all know how important defense is to winning. Everyone always ignores the level of defensive talent Jordan played with. Jordan, Pippen, Grant, Rodman, Harper etc. They had a team stacked with great defenders and that's how they won.

The Bulls had four players that were multiple all-defensive team selections. The Bulls played lock-down defense because of the defensive talent had. Kobe has never played on a team with players that had the defensive skills that Jordan had around him. Jordan had the best perimeter defender in the league to guard the other team's best perimeter player, he had Grant or Rodman to lock down the other team's big and he was able to roam around and create havoc. Not to mention Jordan had perhaps the greatest rebounder in league history in Rodman.

Last year Kobe led his team to a championship without another great defensive player on his team. Jordan always had at least two players on his championship teams who were all-defensive team selections.