PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Spurs Notebook: Spurs' Parker: I've got to be myself

duncan228
12-22-2009, 12:59 AM
Spurs' Parker: I've got to be myself (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_Parker_Ive_got_to_be_myself.html)
Mike Monroe

After a few games in which he had tried to be a pass-first point guard, Tony Parker decided there was a better way to run the Spurs offense: His old way.

“At the end of the day I just have be myself and be aggressive,” said the three-time All-Star. “The last few games I was trying to pass. Then the coach tells me, no, you have to be aggressive. So it's back like my rookie year: No, pass ... no, shoot.”

In just 26:33 minutes of Monday's 103-87 blowout victory over the Clippers, Parker took only 11 shots, but they produced a team-high 19 points. He made seven shots and got to the foul line for seven free throws, making five.

It was his highest output in six games, and Spurs coach Gregg Popovich was thrilled.

“For us to be as good as we can be, Tony's got to be at the top of his game,” Popovich said. “It's always been that way, and it always will be.

“I thought Tony looked fresher and more aggressive. He was more communicative tonight and did a good job running the show.”

Parker's attempt to re-discover his inner aggressor had begun in Saturday's game against the Indiana Pacers. What he failed to re-discover then was his shooting stroke. He made only 4-of-17 shots, scoring 15.

“Tonight I felt a lot better,” he said. “Even last game, although I didn't shoot the ball well, at least I was aggressive. That's what I have to do. Pop wanted me to be more aggressive and pointed out I was not being myself and not playing well enough. I always respond.

“It's always better to be yourself when you play, so I'm definitely going to be more aggressive and you're going to be seeing more of the old Tony Parker now.”

Bonner update: Center-forward Matt Bonner on Monday got another X-ray of the fractured fourth metacarpal on his right hand and the photos showed only a small crack in the bone.

Dr. David Schmidt, one of the team's physicians, said the timetable for Bonner's return remains “about four weeks.”

“It's early in the season,” Schmidt said, “so there's no reason to change that. The X-ray today showed it is, literally, just a crack.”

Worth noting: Parker's game-high 19 points snapped a streak of four consecutive games in which Tim Duncan had led the Spurs in scoring. Duncan played only 24 minutes and 56 seconds and took only eight shots. He made five and scored 13 points ... Roger Mason Jr. continued to show off his Parker-like game going to the basket. The Spurs' top 3-point shooter last season, Mason missed his only long-range attempt against the Clippers, but scored on two slick drives that required getting the ball over either 7-footer Chris Kaman or 6-11 Marcus Camby, a former Defensive Player of the Year.

dbestpro
12-22-2009, 01:09 AM
We're toast. Parker being himself means to hell with the rest of the team. RJ may never have another good game as a Spur. He can get away with that against a team like the Clippers. Also, I guess he was being a pass first guard when he went 3-17 against Indiana.

ElNono
12-22-2009, 01:14 AM
There's nothing wrong with Tony being himself, IMHO... I would just play Mason instead of RJ on the starting lineup and bring RJ off the bench...

raspsa
12-22-2009, 01:14 AM
You've got to give him credit for making the attempt but at this point in his carreer on a team laden with new faces with a 3rd of the season nearly gone probably isn't the best time to reinvent your game. Today he played instinctively and he seemed to be flowing and in control. He had a few nice passes, rediscovered his offense and ran the team prettty well.

crc21209
12-22-2009, 01:15 AM
I don't know what Roger Mason ate before the game, but he was slicing and dicing to the basket like crazy. He pulled off some crazy acrobatic lay-ups as well. Hopefully Mase can keep it up...

Blackjack
12-22-2009, 01:36 AM
I take absolutely nothing away from Tony's performance tonight; good or bad.

There probably isn't a team in the league that Tony's floor-game ever looks better against and, quite honestly, this effort wasn't even up to his usual Clippers standard.

Tony needs to be aggressive and he needs to score the ball, there's no arguing that. But as the guy who has his hands on the ball more than any other player, it's kinda the nature of a point guard, he's got to find a happy medium; even if it's a 60-40 or 70-30 ratio.

The guy's too good of a player to be completely deferential or overcome with tunnel-vision; I hope I never see him miss or choose to take the lower percentage shot like he did on the break with RJ the other night. That's flat-out unacceptable for a point guard, even one of the score-first variety. Teammates remember things like that.

SenorSpur
12-22-2009, 04:41 AM
I take absolutely nothing away from Tony's performance tonight; good or bad.

There probably isn't a team in the league that Tony's floor-game ever looks better against and, quite honestly, this effort wasn't even up to his usual Clippers standard.

Tony needs to be aggressive and he needs to score the ball, there's no arguing that. But as the guy who has his hands on the ball more than any other player, it's kinda the nature of a point guard, he's got to find a happy medium; even if it's a 60-40 or 70-30 ratio.
The guy's too good of a player to be completely deferential or overcome with tunnel-vision; I hope I never see him miss or choose to take the lower percentage shot like he did on the break with RJ the other night. That's flat-out unacceptable for a point guard, even one of the score-first variety. Teammates remember things like that.

Couldn't agree more. As one of the guys who bitched and moaned the loudest about a roster makeover (and rightfully so), I would think HE would been the first one who would've been willing to sacrific part of his game to help fast track the integration of RJ and others. If that means scoring a little less and settup up his new teammates more, so be it.

As the PG, Parker IS the one player how Pop who can affect the games of all these new additions, in a positive or negative fashion.

benefactor
12-22-2009, 06:35 AM
Lmao...Parker talks like he has no choice but to be one or the other.

As Blackjack and SenorSpur have indicated, Parker has to find balance. It's no longer the Parker/Duncan show with everyone standing around watching at the 3pt line. Even if the Spurs were to bring RJ off the bench, Parker still has to figure out how to involve him because in late game situations and in the playoffs he will probably still spend extended minutes playing with him.

Point guards like Nash and Paul are not worrying about being one or the other. They simply play the game and take what is given to them. Furthermore, the best offensive opportunities are still going to be opened up by good ball movement that forces the opposing team to rotate defensively...and not by Parker dribbling out the shot clock trying to find a way to the basket.

Parker needs to stop overthinking things and just be point guard.

Wildcat67
12-22-2009, 07:43 AM
He was averaging more assists when he was focusiing more on scoring. On his way to the basket to score he might just find someone to pass to.

silverblackfan
12-22-2009, 08:03 AM
Tony looked good. I like it when he is got his rhythm going and frustrating defense with his penetration and range of shots. Teams start to get rattled, and then Tony starts dishing every 2nd or 3rd shot. Then the assists build up. Tony looked good last night by being himself.
Now Mason was going nuts out there! His ball handling, passing ability, and defense have all improved IMHO. I used to cringe when he had to put it on the floor, but he is proving to be a lot better.
Looking forward to the Portland game which will be the better test of these skills.

Walton Buys Off Me
12-22-2009, 08:36 AM
A bit of a shot at Pop there by Tony if you read between the lines.....

Spurs Brazil
12-22-2009, 09:11 AM
“It's always better to be yourself when you play, so I'm definitely going to be more aggressive and you're going to be seeing more of the old Tony Parker now.”

That's what I want, the old Tony

Chieflion
12-22-2009, 09:14 AM
In the end, he is still going to be the old Tony Parker. The last few games trying to mold himself into a better PG is wasted.

Old School 44
12-22-2009, 09:15 AM
I wonder if Pop and Tony have the same definition for "aggressive"?

To me it's clear for Tony, although he has a hard time just out right saying it...
it means "shoot the ball".

In10se
12-22-2009, 09:44 AM
The chemestry on this year's team seems all out of whack. That's what happens when you're not winning and people's true colors shine.

Ibanezsr
12-22-2009, 09:59 AM
The chemestry on this year's team seems all out of whack. That's what happens when you're not winning and people's true colors shine.

They have the 5th best record in the West... Not bad for a team that's "not winning"... The team is starting to gel... And I like Blair/Duncan combo as well as Dice/Ratliff combo... having a shot blocker on the floor at all times can only help SA's defense...

The Truth #6
12-22-2009, 10:25 AM
It sounds like Parker was buckling under the pressure to be a point guard that passes the ball, which to me makes clear that this direction was coming from Pop and not something he would ever willingly force upon himself.

I don't know, his statement about passing just doesn't sound like what a leader of a team should be saying, especially a point guard. If he plays better by being more aggressive (not distributing the ball) and his game finally improves to previous levels then it will be good for the team to some degree. But if he's not able to dominate people off the dribble and make his short jumpers then this sounds like a real mess.

This sounds like a turning point in the season. I'm very interested to see how things go from here.

hater
12-22-2009, 10:33 AM
ppl making a huge deal of Parker starting the season slow :rolleyes

EricB
12-22-2009, 10:43 AM
So Parker plays well and the people are unhappy.

You people are some miserable fucks.

spursfan09
12-22-2009, 10:51 AM
I don't get the point of trying to take away the strongest point of one of our best players in Tony Parker. Tony Parker is still 2nd best player on the team, and we need him to do what he does best. I think if he gets going; the more attention the defense will give him and that can help RJ or RM get more touches. It needs to be all natural and not forced.

sonic21
12-22-2009, 10:51 AM
cia tony

he was playing bad on purpose, now he can be a selfish ballhog again with pop blessing. :tu

boutons_deux
12-22-2009, 10:55 AM
I always cringe a little when 5 guys run down the court and only one guy touches the ball for the entire possession. I personally wouldn't want to be one of those 4 very often.

Where Is Little Stevie Franchise now?

Josepatches_
12-22-2009, 11:41 AM
If that means he is going to shoot every ball we have a problem.

TP's problem this year wasn't to score more points.He had to limit his TO's and to improve a lot the defense.

He played well tonight but was he trying to pass the ball against the Pacers (3-17)?

nkdlunch
12-22-2009, 11:58 AM
we won the last 2 championships with Parker being Parker. Don't you mofos realize the last 2 years were NOT Parker's fault.

Yeah, he is starting slow, but so is RJ, Manu. the other big guns.

yeah, let's go ahead and single out Parker :rolleyes

Parker2112
12-22-2009, 12:00 PM
The old Parker is unstoppable, but it can't come at the cost of the rest of the guys "rotting on the vine," so to speak. And as PG, it's TP's job to get these guys going early.

And Tony's point production also needs to be accompanied by some D to be effective. We traded baskets with too many teams last season, with Tony scoring and then the other team scoring, and we all saw how that worked out. This team is not built to have to fight for 48 minutes over 82 games. We need some blowouts.

Quite honestly, it is not fun for me to watch Tony score at will, while the rest of our guys watch. It's damn sure no fun watching Tony turn it over against teams with strong interior D. If I had faith that Tony would not force it in those situations, I might be a little more comfortable with Tony's words here...but Tony is not a guy who changes gears well. When I first read this, my honest thought was "fuck, fuck, fuggity fuck."

Being a fan throught the 80's and 90's, I came to value the world-class defense that Pop made this team's calling card; I don't care to see Phoenix Suns brand basketball. I hope Tony gets a good mix going...team ball is the only way we can win the title...it's the way we always did.

duhoh
12-22-2009, 12:12 PM
So Parker plays well and the people are unhappy.

You people are some miserable fucks.
:tu

People always have something to complain about around here

Parker2112
12-22-2009, 12:29 PM
Some of us just see the big picture a little more clearly...mainly that Tony's scoring-first style has the potential to compromise the success of this team during the second season.

Regular season stats, win records, all-star appearances, mvp awards, and beating the Clips at home don't amount to everything. :rolleyes

It's not about last night...it's about positioning yourself for a strong playoff run. Anyone who has followed the Spurs through the title stretch knows that in order for us to have a shot, the whole team needs to be gelling by the last month of the season. That takes teamwork, it can't be done by one player alone. No one Spur has ever been able to carry this team alone. TD has come the closest though:toast

Tony blazed through the regular season last year. He abused defenses like there was no tomorrow. We won the division. And we flamed out in the first round.

Sorry, that may be what you want to see from our team but not me.

Ibanezsr
12-22-2009, 12:52 PM
Some of us just see the big picture a little more clearly...mainly that Tony's scoring-first style has the potential to compromise the success of this team during the second season.

Regular season stats, win records, all-star appearances, mvp awards, and beating the Clips at home don't amount to everything. :rolleyes

It's not about last night...it's about positioning yourself for a strong playoff run. Anyone who has followed the Spurs through the title stretch knows that in order for us to have a shot, the whole team needs to be gelling by the last month of the season. That takes teamwork, it can't be done by one player alone. No one Spur has ever been able to carry this team alone. TD has come the closest though:toast

Tony blazed through the regular season last year. He abused defenses like there was no tomorrow. We won the division. And we flamed out in the first round.

Sorry, that may be what you want to see from our team but not me.

Last year's bench was non-existant... so comparing this team to last year will do no justice. I don't think Parker being aggresive will compromise anything if the right combinations are being used. I think having Parker out there with Duncan, Bogans, & Blair won't hurt a thing. Only thing I would change is start Mason over Jefferson. Jeff is better suited to play with Hill and Gino... TP should only play about 30-34 mins a game... Switching the different types of offense up will only work in SA's advantage as it's harder to defend consistently..

DAF86
12-22-2009, 01:20 PM
Parker is a scoring guard, and that's what he has to do if he tries to do something else he'll continue to suck.

Parker2112
12-22-2009, 01:24 PM
Last year's bench was non-existant... so comparing this team to last year will do no justice. ..

Your point is that this year we have a deeper team...all the more reason to shelve the TP one-man-gang theory:toast

I don't think Parker being aggresive will compromise anything if the right combinations are being used. I think having Parker out there with Duncan, Bogans, & Blair won't hurt a thing. Only thing I would change is start Mason over Jefferson. Jeff is better suited to play with Hill and Gino... TP should only play about 30-34 mins a game... Switching the different types of offense up will only work in SA's advantage as it's harder to defend consistently..

this might help matters, and I like the angle, but it is hard to justify why we need to put all our other scorers (manu, mason, RJ) on the bench to compensate for Tony's play on the starting squad. Seems like a bad compromise to me.

Ibanezsr
12-22-2009, 01:39 PM
Your point is that this year we have a deeper team...all the more reason to shelve the TP one-man-gang theory:toast

this might help matters, and I like the angle, but it is hard to justify why we need to put all our other scorers (manu, mason, RJ) on the bench to compensate for Tony's play on the starting squad. Seems like a bad compromise to me.

My point is TP needs to be the player he is used to being... Last yr he dished out 7 assists a game with a crappy supporting cast (that's not horrible)... Why not just let him be instead of trying to change him into a PG he will not be/nor cares to be? His passing abilities are nowhere near the Nash/Paul/Billups type so why force it?

I stated that I wanted Mason to start so it wouldn't be putting him on the bench. I like Gino on the bench just because Pop is not going to play him more than 25 mins a game anyway so starting him only to sit him for a while would be counter-productive. Jefferson is new and needs to learn the ropes... Let him do that on the bench against the 2nd tier players of the NBA. Once he proves he can play/create a niche with SA I have no problem starting him... Bottom line is Pop is limiting everyone's minutes anyway. Tim is at 32 mins a game, TP 31 mins a game and Gino at 24 mins a game. They will all get those minutes so I just don't see a reason to try to force TP into something he is not. Supposedly he is a "passing" PG this year so far but his assists are down from last yr by 1.2 a game.. It would be one thing if he was playing 48 mins a game but he is not....

Parker2112
12-22-2009, 01:58 PM
My point is TP needs to be the player he is used to being... Last yr he dished out 7 assists a game with a crappy supporting cast (that's not horrible)... Why not just let him be instead of trying to change him into a PG he will not be/nor cares to be? His passing abilities are nowhere near the Nash/Paul/Billups type so why force it?

I subscribe to the 70-30 idea stated by other posters. We need the points, but we need balance as well. As for accepting TP's limitations, I think alot of guys on Golden State, Clippers, Nuggets, etc. would give the same reasons for not wanting to play team ball.:lol

I stated that I wanted Mason to start so it wouldn't be putting him on the bench.

saw this on a reread.

I like Gino on the bench just because Pop is not going to play him more than 25 mins a game anyway so starting him only to sit him for a while would be counter-productive. Jefferson is new and needs to learn the ropes... Let him do that on the bench against the 2nd tier players of the NBA. Once he proves he can play/create a niche with SA I have no problem starting him... Bottom line is Pop is limiting everyone's minutes anyway. Tim is at 32 mins a game, TP 31 mins a game and Gino at 24 mins a game. They will all get those minutes so I just don't see a reason to try to force TP into something he is not. Supposedly he is a "passing" PG this year so far but his assists are down from last yr by 1.2 a game.. It would be one thing if he was playing 48 mins a game but he is not....

Good points, I just think our only shot at a championship comes if our starting PG can keep the offense flowing at all times...even if he is calling his own number 50% of the time. Just ask Kobe about that.

Besides, TP wearing himself out on one end leads to opposing PGs feeding on him at the other. Balance is the key.

Ibanezsr
12-22-2009, 02:08 PM
I subscribe to the 70-30 idea stated by other posters. We need the points, but we need balance as well. As for accepting TP's limitations, I think alot of guys on Golden State, Clippers, Nuggets, etc. would give the same reasons for not wanting to play team ball.:lol

saw this on a reread.

Good points, I just think our only shot at a championship comes if our starting PG can keep the offense flowing at all times...even if he is calling his own number 50% of the time. Just ask Kobe about that.

Besides, TP wearing himself out on one end leads to opposing PGs feeding on him at the other. Balance is the key.

I agree that balance is the key but I think defense out of TP is more important than offense... and is the key to a championship. SA has plenty of offensive weapons. They are putting up 102 a game with everyone not named "Duncan" playing inconsistently... It would be great if TP was putting up 10-12 assists a game but it's not going to happen... And I can live with that.. But if he can't hold his own playing defense then he should get no more than 30 minutes a game... I can't live with his horrible defense...

Parker2112
12-22-2009, 02:30 PM
I agree that balance is the key but I think defense out of TP is more important than offense... and is the key to a championship. SA has plenty of offensive weapons. They are putting up 102 a game with everyone not named "Duncan" playing inconsistently... It would be great if TP was putting up 10-12 assists a game but it's not going to happen... And I can live with that.. But if he can't hold his own playing defense then he should get no more than 30 minutes a game... I can't live with his horrible defense...

Honestly, if he's playing D I can live with a shoot first mentality. It becmes hard to take when I see guys standing around watching him, and then getting asked to bust their but on the other end. For guys like bogans, thats a given on some nights. But for others, the team suffers when they aren't firing on all cylinders. And then there are nights when a guy like Theo can get into double digits.

I remember too many stakes being driven into the heart of the opposing team, both in the playoffs and the finals, by a non-star. Avery. Kerr. Fisher. Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Lu ck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_. Horry. The reason? Because when it counts the opposition is going to have the talent to take away your first, second, and maybe third option. That's why we need to keep these role players contributing...so they are in place at season's end, with the confidence to take a key shot. That is also why Parker must learn to shift gears on the fly...so we don't live and die by his hand alone. When teams force someone else to beat them, TP needs to let someone else do the job. He hasn't shown the capacity to flip the switch at the right time in the past. That is why his interview remarks worry me...

slayermin
12-22-2009, 02:41 PM
If he was a good three point shooter and more consistent from 18 feet, he would be unstoppable. And the Spurs would be unbeatable. But his outside shot isn't there yet.

He should continue to develop his playmaking skills because his perimeter game is still a work in progress. He has to realize that if he gets Jefferson going, it opens things up for himself.

The Truth #6
12-22-2009, 02:58 PM
In another article he mentioned trying to diversify his game, but it was focused on improving his 3 point shot. It's frustrating that he sees passing as being passive.

Having said that, I think it's worth waiting to see how he plays now that he's no longer trying to be a distributor. I hope his only problems this year are that he's pouting because he's being asked to pass the ball. If last year's dominant Parker returns then the team can adapt around that. I think he's blaming his occasionally poor play on the new role being asked of him, and not other factors such as not being as quick as he used to be or focusing on defense like in years past.

If he can return to excellence this will help the team find its identity with the first team being led by Parker and Duncan, and the second unit being led by Manu, Hill, and RJ. The team can't keep trying to find its identity as the season goes along. If Tony feeling comfortable with his traditional role makes things click, then I'll live with that.

Ibanezsr
12-22-2009, 03:38 PM
Honestly, if he's playing D I can live with a shoot first mentality. It becmes hard to take when I see guys standing around watching him, and then getting asked to bust their but on the other end. For guys like bogans, thats a given on some nights. But for others, the team suffers when they aren't firing on all cylinders. And then there are nights when a guy like Theo can get into double digits.

I remember too many stakes being driven into the heart of the opposing team, both in the playoffs and the finals, by a non-star. Avery. Kerr. Fisher. Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Lu ck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_. Horry. The reason? Because when it counts the opposition is going to have the talent to take away your first, second, and maybe third option. That's why we need to keep these role players contributing...so they are in place at season's end, with the confidence to take a key shot. That is also why Parker must learn to shift gears on the fly...so we don't live and die by his hand alone. When teams force someone else to beat them, TP needs to let someone else do the job. He hasn't shown the capacity to flip the switch at the right time in the past. That is why his interview remarks worry me...

TP has always worried me. Not a big fan of his...

I. Hustle
12-22-2009, 03:52 PM
When Tony does badass we do badass.

NFGIII
12-22-2009, 04:17 PM
There's nothing wrong with Tony being himself, IMHO... I would just play Mason instead of RJ on the starting lineup and bring RJ off the bench...

Agreed. This is something that I've considered lately - switching RJ with Mason while letting TP just be himself. RJ would feast on the league's 2nd units and would also have Manu out there feeding him. Manu has no problem passing first while it seems that TP gets out of sync when he attempts that.

Parker is a scoring guard, and that's what he has to do if he tries to do something else he'll continue to suck.

Ditto. Regardless of who is at fault it seems that TP isn't going to be the type of PG that CP3 or Nash are. Frankly I think TP needs to distribute more but for some reason he just doesn't play as well when he does this. So if he continues to suck while being a pass first PG then maybe it's time to scrap that and let him return to his old form. We need Ws and not excuses as to what player isn't doing his job the "right" way. It seems that for TP to be effective he needs to score first and pass second. This is his "right" way of playing. If this is what Pop and the Spurs are going to have to live with then see the first point above about a possible lineup change.

portnoy1
12-22-2009, 04:42 PM
Agreed. This is something that I've considered lately - switching RJ with Mason while letting TP just be himself. RJ would feast on the league's 2nd units and would also have Manu out there feeding him. Manu has no problem passing first while it seems that TP gets out of sync when he attempts that.

Ditto. Regardless of who is at fault it seems that TP isn't going to be the type of PG that CP3 or Nash are. Frankly I think TP needs to distribute more but for some reason he just doesn't play as well when he does this. So if he continues to suck while being a pass first PG then maybe it's time to scrap that and let him return to his old form. We need Ws and not excuses as to what player isn't doing his job the "right" way. It seems that for TP to be effective he needs to score first and pass second. This is his "right" way of playing. If this is what Pop and the Spurs are going to have to live with then see the first point above about a possible lineup change.
So whats better? TP being his old self and looking for his shot, while an athletic/ multi-talented overpayed player like RJ watches and waits behind the 3pt line. TP took the first quarter of a few games and looked for his teammates, racked up assist and did his thing for the rest of the game. It was easy after that cause all his teammates RJ/Dice/Bogans had it going and were in a good rythym offensively. 1 qtr is a very small sacrifice for TP. Even Kobe/Jordan learned that no matter how good you are, you need teammates. Each of them took the first qtr of games and got the other guys involved. TP is not kobe or Jordan. And besides he is a PG, the other 2 were SG's.

hater
12-22-2009, 05:07 PM
When Tony does badass we do badass.

exactly.

when Tony scores 25+pts we probably win 90% of games.

DPG21920
12-22-2009, 06:01 PM
It is not even about balance to me. In my mind, there is not a golden ratio. I want TP to take a lot of shots, because he is usually our best scorer. But even though it is not about balance, it is about decision making. Like blackjack said, he can definitely be a score first PG, that is good for the Spurs, but there are times that he has to make the right decision. That will be the difference. Get people the ball when it is optimal. Be a personality controller as well as a game controller. If RJ leaks out on a break, get it to him. Those times in the game where it is absolutely the right basketball play to give it up, regardless of position, is what TP needs to focus on.

sa_kid20
12-22-2009, 06:27 PM
It is not even about balance to me. In my mind, there is not a golden ratio. I want TP to take a lot of shots, because he is usually our best scorer. But even though it is not about balance, it is about decision making. Like blackjack said, he can definitely be a score first PG, that is good for the Spurs, but there are times that he has to make the right decision. That will be the difference. Get people the ball when it is optimal. Be a personality controller as well as a game controller. If RJ leaks out on a break, get it to him. Those times in the game where it is absolutely the right basketball play to give it up, regardless of position, is what TP needs to focus on.

I agree. Tony needs to get out of the mentality of ''ok I need to try to pass more this game'' or ''I need to be more aggressive this game'' and just play basketball. If he takes what the D gives him and makes the right basketball play (either passing or scoring) this team can be scary good. I just hate it when he unnecessarily forces things. Especially with the talent he has around him this year.

The Truth #6
12-22-2009, 06:33 PM
His approach to these two styles does seem sort of caveman like. There's a whole world of options in between. I'm keeping fingers crossed Tony will still integrate the best of both options, and that even if he's looking for his shot he keeps others involved, and not just Tim.

senorglory
12-22-2009, 06:36 PM
Do you guys know how hard it is to find a clip of Revenge of the Nerds where they're all sitting around listening to the accordian version of "I Gotta Be Me?"

http://gadgets.boingboing.net/revenge-of-the-nerds.jpg

HarlemHeat37
12-22-2009, 07:00 PM
I'd much rather Tony look to score..

people just have to stop asking for Parker to become a playmaker..he's a poor passer for his position, he just doesn't have the mentality..it's not something that you can develop..he doesn't have the passing ability and he doesn't have the court vision..he DOES have a great ability to score however, and he should focus on that..

If Pop gets back to calling out more plays, we'll be better off IMO..he should be the one getting plays for RJ to get him involved, we shouldn't be relying on Tony to call the plays, that's just not his style..

Blackjack
12-22-2009, 09:36 PM
I just want Tony Parker to be Tony Parker, I'm not looking for him to be Nash, Kidd or even Paul. The guy is what he is and what he is, is damn good.

I'm not sure if he's playing more hurt than he'll let on or if comments like the ones in this piece are indicative of a weak approach he's taken this year, but, bottom-line, he's not getting it done.

Whether it be when to turn down and use screens, how far he needs to penetrate, getting his passes on the mark, being strong with the ball, and just his overall decision-making, (to say nothing of the defensive end) he's been just off the mark in all phases; the guy was second to only Paul last year for players at the position and, at times, was looking like a mini Wade. We know the guy's capable, he's just not getting it done.. for whatever reason.

Chemistry issues are obviously inherent any time there's this much roster-turnover for a team, but the digression in Tony's play is baffling; the guy's just been give more weapons than he's ever had to work with, and he looking like he's some kind of pacifist.

He's got the tools with which to work and the ability to utilize them to his and the team's advantage, it's time he stopped doing his Kobe impersonation (i.e.: I'm supposed to get the players involved so I tried to get them involved -- by completely abandoning my offensive game.) and starts just being a basketball player; let the action dictate the play and never allow yourself to become just another guy out there.

An upgraded roster really shouldn't be a burden; there's no reason Tony Parker can't be Tony Parker, just in a little more efficient and less stressful manner.

it's me
12-22-2009, 09:53 PM
in other words, dude is fucking pathetic passing the rock.... so he has to go back to his "own self"... take advantage of Duncan's greatness....

an awesome player but a sorry ass POINTGUARD.... just imagine Tim's carrier stats with a real pointguard..... would be world recordish

ducks
12-22-2009, 09:59 PM

Sorry, that may be what you want to see from our team but not me. duncan and manu were hurt
manu did not play dumbass
spurs have rj now incase manu craps out again like ususally lately

dbestpro
12-22-2009, 10:35 PM
Its crazy. We are suppose to start 4 guys with Parker that don't need to score to be effective so Parker can be effective. Here's an idea that is just as crazy. Start Manu and Hill and bring Parker off the bench. He can do all the scoring he wants on the second unit and he won't get torched as much by second string point guards.

ducks
12-22-2009, 10:54 PM
In another article he mentioned trying to diversify his game, but it was focused on improving his 3 point shot. It's frustrating that he sees passing as being passive.

Having said that, I think it's worth waiting to see how he plays now that he's no longer trying to be a distributor. I hope his only problems this year are that he's pouting because he's being asked to pass the ball. If last year's dominant Parker returns then the team can adapt around that. I think he's blaming his occasionally poor play on the new role being asked of him, and not other factors such as not being as quick as he used to be or focusing on defense like in years past.

If he can return to excellence this will help the team find its identity with the first team being led by Parker and Duncan, and the second unit being led by Manu, Hill, and RJ. The team can't keep trying to find its identity as the season goes along. If Tony feeling comfortable with his traditional role makes things click, then I'll live with that.

in another article tp just wanted to win
spurs were struggling with tp trying to pass more
tp wants to win

Parker2112
12-22-2009, 11:34 PM
Its crazy. We are suppose to start 4 guys with Parker that don't need to score to be effective so Parker can be effective. Here's an idea that is just as crazy. Start Manu and Hill and bring Parker off the bench. He can do all the scoring he wants on the second unit and he won't get torched as much by second string point guards.

I would applaud this if it happened...I think it is the best case scenario. And I don't understand why Tony would never be asked to do this while Manu has been doing it for years...

Parker2112
12-22-2009, 11:38 PM
duncan and manu were hurt
manu did not play dumbass
spurs have rj now incase manu craps out again like ususally lately

And all the while every Tony Parker fanboy was clamoring that Tony was the greatest thing since MJ...

Even a numbskull like Ducks can't deny the fact that Tony and Tim can no longer carry this team in the west, and Manu has not been the same. thus, you make my point for me, Ducks...GET THE ROLE PLAYERS IN SYNC EARLY!

Now go back to shining your TP finals mvp replica friend.

ducks
12-23-2009, 12:09 AM
mj needed pippen to win a title numbskill

Parker2112
12-23-2009, 12:24 AM
mj needed pippen to win a title numbskill

That doesnt change your stance at the time...or should I say your fanboydom.

alfahdlan
12-23-2009, 04:21 AM
Enough said. Let us maximize our strength and lessen our weakness. If TP wants to score first and pass to TD or perimeter shooters as last option then let it be put RMJ or Finley as starter. Send RJ to the second unit where the defense of hill, manu, dice and ratliff could maximize his strength in the open court. The first unit thrives because of tp-td pick and roll and spot up shooters, since there are a lot of them in the team, RJ will not be missed. On the other hand, the second unit can take even the first unit of any team. :whine